Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CIV 5
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Thanee
Hey!

Got a question about CIV 5. Is it possible to play the game without an internet connection at all on the computer?

Or does it use Steam for registration?

Bye
Thanee
Fix-it
should be with a boxed copy. steam itself can be played in offline mode, after initial installation.
Thanee
Yep, I think that's pretty much it... you need it for registration/activation, and patching, but not to actually play.

Bye
Thanee
nezumi
That pissed me off royally about Starcraft. I had to make a battle.net account and wait half an hour for updates. Steam is at least a little kinder, but I still dislike it. Give it ten months and it'll be on direct2drive.
Thanee
It's available on D2D already. wink.gif

Is that without any online activation then? Never used a download platform other than Steam (and that only for a few cheap games when they had one of their mad price slashes).

The main question here is... can those games be transfered and run on a computer that has no internet access (at all)?

Bye
Thanee
nezumi
Make sure Direct2Drive isn't selling it through Steam - they were doing that last month. But yes, if you buy it through D2D, you get a downloadable file. Just install the file. It's possible the file is tied to the computer and can't be run on any other one. I haven't tested that.
Karoline
It's doubtful that the file is tied to the computer. Among other thing I don't even think that would be possible.

I believe that you could get steam games on a computer that has no internet access, but it's a bit more involved, because you'd have to transfer over the steamapp files from steam (Along with a chunk of steam most likely). Should work, but steam might put some files in weird places to try and prevent it. If possible, I suggest transferring your entire steam folder, that would be most likely to work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012