Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aiming through Cameras?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
TickTalk
I just started learning shadowrun today and basically decided that I wanted a sniper character. So smartlink comes to mind. But I was wondering if there was a way for me to hack cameras or use camera drones to triangulate a target and use the information from all the cameras to aim my sniper rifle at targets that are say, blocked by cover. If I'm using a high enough powered rifle I should be able to shoot through walls. I just wanna make sure I can hit doing that. Is it possible? Or is that a little too far into the future for shadowrun?

I intend to go pretty heavy on the cyber and bioware so no worries if I need some chrome there.
Christian Lafay
In this world I could see it being done but it would require things like layouts and heavy math. Ever watch Myth Busters and see the guys measuring things on screens for movie myths? It would be like that. "Guy in room A. Guy is approx X tall, get reference. Guy is Y away from wall, use X as reference tool. Compare spot in room to room in building use blueprints." While it would seem completely cool to do to a sleeping target for Ss & Gs I don't see it working for those that might move around. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as camera drones, if you can pin-point their location to a minute figure and they have a range finder on them (and maybe ultra-sound for mapping) and are hooked up to a computer to calculate it all, then that might be an option. Now if Commlinks have GPS and the technology has gotten more accurate then you could probably use that too, if you have a good hacker friend.
PoliteMan
You just basically described a Tacsoft. Look in Unwired.
Christian Lafay
And this is what I get for having GMs who stick to core only, haha
CanRay
The thing about cameras in Shadowrun is that they're Three-Dimentional Cameras (Unless they're cheap.). That makes rangefinding quite a bit easier. Can it be done, I would say "Yes", but the equipment and software needed for it to be easy would be military and expensive.

But, for a hacker doing the calculations on their tricked out 'Link, feeding to a dedicated sniper, it can be done. I'd slap negatives on it galore, but it can be done.

Just remember the difference between cover and concealment.

Personally, I think situations like that are why they invented launched explosives.
Zyerne
You'll also want a Barrat 121 from Arsenal and the shooting through barriers rules from the main rulebook.
TickTalk
But I'm wondering what kind of modifiers that would make me? Because making a program to calculate all of that is childs play in 2077 Couldn't Is there anyway I can bridge the matrix data to my smartlink? Or make a sniper rifle that is also some sort of deck for the purpose of through camera aiming? Can I possibly shoot someone who's 2 floors up from me in a building simply by being able to see the whole building and it's dimensions etc through cameras? In relation to myself and where my gun is? Also drones seem more viable at this option.
Makki
Arsenal p162
Information-Guided fire.

That's exactly what he asked for.

-4 modifier for information guided
+x = net hits of spotter
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (TickTalk @ Nov 16 2010, 07:57 AM) *
But I'm wondering what kind of modifiers that would make me? Because making a program to calculate all of that is childs play in 2077 Couldn't Is there anyway I can bridge the matrix data to my smartlink? Or make a sniper rifle that is also some sort of deck for the purpose of through camera aiming? Can I possibly shoot someone who's 2 floors up from me in a building simply by being able to see the whole building and it's dimensions etc through cameras? In relation to myself and where my gun is? Also drones seem more viable at this option.

So you want the controls from Shooter, just with better cameras.
TickTalk
Thanks all of you! Very helpful!
ProfGast
You might want to consider a drone using an Ultrawideband Radar Sensor (Arsenal 60) to map things out for you too. Camera's are nice and all but the UWB Radar can SEE THROUGH WALLS (penetrating up to ratingx5 structure barriers) and can also be used to detect things like cyberware or weaponry on the targets. Granted using such a drone means the drone's location will be pretty easily detected and it can be jammed, but what do you care? The instant you turned that thing on you got a perfect 3D map within 100M of the drone's location and a Rating 3 UWB Radar can see through up to 15 structure. That's armored materials like reinforced concrete. A rating 4 one can see through up to 20 structure so you can pinpoint your enemy and dig 'em out. And if you're being jammed you can't use sensor-based spotting very well anyways.
TickTalk
A 3d map doesn't help me connect my sniper shot to their head however. Just know there's a big room there. The scan would be helpful but right now I've got my longarms up to 7 along with hacking surveillance 4 and electronic warfare sensors 4. My agility as at 6 as well

So what kind of modifiers am I looking for shooting into a corporate building from outside of it at about a kilometer (Cybereyes to ignore that nasty range negative.)

How hard is it going to be for me hit targets I can only see through those sensors? I'm trying to create a super sniper with secondary in surveillance hacking and hijacking and thirdly to be super mobile/athletic. Most of this being achived by cyberware.
Makki
hack into corporate building's system for security account, then:
Simple Action: Sensor Test (Perception+Sensor Rating +- Signature Modifier) (vs. Infiltration+Agility, if Target trys to sneek around cameras)
if successful:
Simple Action: Aim
Simple Action: Shoot, longarms+Agi -4 (information guided Fire) + net hits on Sensor Test +2 smart

damage must exceed corporate building walls' armor Rating minus AP (that's 12 for bricks or 16 for concrete)
target gets corporate building walls' armor Rating as a bonus to damage resistance
ProfGast
QUOTE (TickTalk @ Nov 15 2010, 10:36 PM) *
A 3d map doesn't help me connect my sniper shot to their head however. Just know there's a big room there.

Uhhhhh... ¿Qué? UWB radar is basically ultrasound detector that goes through walls too. So you can see locations of people, items, as WELL as terrain. Like I said it lets you see through walls. Much more than "just know there's a a big room there". And it sees through the Invisibility spell and things like optical camouflage too. And it has an added bonus of perfect rangefinding too.

So what kind of modifiers am I looking for shooting into a corporate building from outside of it at about a kilometer (Cybereyes to ignore that nasty range negative.)

Most sniper rifles come with an imaging scope that you can stick Vision Magnification into, and leave you without needing cybereyes, or with other more important upgrades. Also it's 100¥(scope) instead of 1000¥ (cybereyes). Very important for the next part of your character, which I quoted, since it seems like you're trying to pick up a LOT of schticks (most of which are expensive).

To actually answer your question though, from what I can tell, the penalty for Indirect Fire stays. So you get a -4 to your dice pool but you also add net hits on the Sensor test that your spotter saw the target with. Furthermore you have to go through the barrier's armor. I'll be a bit generous and assume that the barrier is a wall of some sort of heavy material. That gives it an armor rating of 6. If you're using Ex-Ex ammo on a Barrett sniper rifle, that gives you an AP of -5. So in all you'll shoot the target with a -4 + Sensor net hits modifier to your longarms pool, and the target in this case will have a +1 bonus to his Body+Armor roll vs your dv of 10P+net hits (and your AP won't apply to him since it was soaked up by the wall.) If you were using APDS, you'd still have -2 AP when the bullet hit him, but your base DV would only be 9P.
Your smartgun bonus (and you need a smartgun to even attempt this) is however be added to your dice pool.

How hard is it going to be for me hit targets I can only see through those sensors? I'm trying to create a super sniper with secondary in surveillance hacking and hijacking and thirdly to be super mobile/athletic. Most of this being achived by cyberware.

Like I said earlier, that seems like you're trying to pick up a lot. I suppose if you don't put a LOT of money into your weapon, you can pile ¥¥ onto hacking gear and 'wares. But you're going to want to make the most out of your money at every turn to make it all work at chargen.

Edit: For example, rationing your BPs may be a good idea. the 14 BPs required to take your Longarms skill from 6-7 might be better used to say, use 2 points for Specialization: Sniper Rifles? That'll give you an effective Longarms 8 when using sniper rifles. Unless you really like having Longarms 7. then you can just add the specialty and get longarms 9. Also, unless you're an elf, maxing your Agility to 6 is a bit of a waste of points unless you're bumping it up with Muscle Toner bioware or something similar. Again, unless you like having completely maxed Agility.
Zyerne
14BP from skil rating 6 to 7?

If you want to shoot through walls reliably you're going to need to invest in Restricted Gear to get some AV rounds for the extra punch through barriers. Normally I'd consider it a total waste to use it on ammo but it's somewhat central to your character.

ProfGast
My bad. It's 18 points.
Positive Quality Aptitude (Longarms): 10 BP
Longarms 6 --> Longarms 7: 8 BP

And yes, Restricted gear, for the Barrett Sniper Rifle AND AV/APDS rounds is highly suggested. Otherwise you're stuck with the Ares Desert Strike as the most powerful rifle you can start with, and Ex-Ex with the best damage/AP modifiers.

Of course, with Restricted Gear, and a fair amount of Nuyen, you can do something ultimately silly like, oh, Mod your Barrett for Full Auto fire, thus giving it the ability to burn through ammunition like none other. Oh and the ability to add +9 to your DV.

But then you're not really a sniper if you're using a sniper rifle-machinegun are you?

Edit: Upon a little more digging, you can actually spend all 6 weapon slots on your Barrett to make it a HIGH VELOCITY full auto weapon.
Allowing you to burn through 12 of the 14 bullets it has in its clip in one complex action. And add a +11 DV to your hail of death.
Granted doing so does terrible terrible things to your accuracy, through recoil. But still, the prices we must pay for turning targets into meaty chunks, right?
I suppose you can alleviate these things by installing a gas vent (technically only allowed for automatics or machine guns, but that's what the barrett IS now right?) and use gyro stabilization and a few others. But the ubermodded Barret already costs 38,000¥
Alright I'll stop this flight of fancy right now. I apologize. Got carried away <_<
Gamer6432
Page 90 of SR4A says that if you use Aptitude at Chargen, going from 6 to 7 is 8 BP (double normal costs), so 18 total.

Edit: nevermind, beat me to the punch nyahnyah.gif
Zyerne
Ah, I wasn't accounting for aptitude which is why I questioned it.

Yes, there are several much better mods for a sniper weapon than BF or FA.

And one that would probably indicate some kind of psychosis. You've heard about people talking to weapons. You can have one that talks back.
TickTalk
The thing about the drone is as soon as it's jammed I can no longer see my targets. That's what I mean by even though I pinged a map the jamming makes targeting near impossible. And I am trying to cover a lot of schticks.

I will probably buy a bit of restricted gear but It's needed at this point. And I'll be using a big punch sniper rifle possibly on a smartlink stand and even might carry a backup smartlink sniper rifle (The one with 2 clips) For using both. Can I have two smartlinks connected? (And I'm aware of the risk of being wireless hacked.)

Also am I doing well for someone who just learned this game today? I mean thinking and planning my character? Critique me please
TickTalk
QUOTE (Gamer6432 @ Nov 16 2010, 03:26 AM) *
Page 90 of SR4A says that if you use Aptitude at Chargen, going from 6 to 7 is 8 BP (double normal costs), so 18 total.

Edit: nevermind, beat me to the punch nyahnyah.gif

18 total? To get longarms to 7 is like 32 points isn't it?
Zyerne
32 total + 10 for Aptitude

18 to go from 6 to 7, including Aptitude.
Gamer6432
Edit:

*needs to remember to hit the refresh button before the quick reply button*
Zyerne
While the idea of a HV Barret is amusing, quick breakdown and others would be somewhat more useful.

I'm still taken with the idea of a gun that congratulates you after a good shot though. (Or chides you when you miss.)
TickTalk
Elf blind sniper

400 bp

30 Elf
40 agility 6
65 logic 6 (For hacking probably gonna only make it 5)
40 reaction 5
30 intuition 4
10 willpower 2
10 body 2
10 strength 2
0 charisma 3
30 3 edge
-5 Mild addiction psyche
-15 Severely allergic to gold
-5 incompetent with bows
-5 weak immune system
-5 incompetent clubs

10 Aptitude (Longarms)

240 (Corrected it's error of 250)

34 longarms 7 SP Sniper Rifles +2
8 Dodge 2
16 perception 4
18 Electronic warfare Specialization Sensor Operation- 6
18 Hacking surveillance 6
8 gymnastics 2

340 (Corrected from miscalculation)

250,000 Nuyen

Here's what I've got so far. Suggestions? Is there anything I'm neglecting on? The base Idea is Shoots through walls using hacked cameras. Then mobility to get to a good location for a shot. Also a lil bit of edge in there.
ProfGast
QUOTE (TickTalk @ Nov 15 2010, 11:43 PM) *
18 total? To get longarms to 7 is like 32 points isn't it?

Longarms 6: 6*4=24 points
Aptitude (longarms): 10 points
Longarms 7: 8 points
Not to mention it costs you 10/35 total Positive Quality points. if it's something that you're fixed on, go for it. But there are some more point efficient alternatives.

Also, you're doing pretty well, and you seem to have a nice character put together. However from my viewpoint of someone who has just recently been trying to put together a sniper character and exploring the possibilities therein you may be biting off a bit more than you can chew and may want to dial back your expectations a tad. Like I said earlier, maxing a stat to 6 may look attractive on the surface but you're actually spending 65 BPs to take Agility to 6. Alternately you could take Agility to 5 (40BP) and then spend 5,000¥ (1BP) to augment it up to 6 instead using ware(z).

You are not allowed (under normal chargen rules) to take any item that has an availability greater than 12 at chargen. This rule can be violated only by taking the Restricted Gear (5BP) quality which itself can only be taken 3 times.

There are only three sniper rifles which have an availability of 12 or less, and these are: Walter MA-2100 (10F, 7P -3AP), Ares Desert Strike (10F, 8P, -3AP) and the HK PSG Enforcer (double clip, 12F 7P, -3).

The Barrett, the Anti-materiel rifle is unfortunately 18F and if you want it you will need restricted gear.

And yes, you can have two smartlinks connected.

EDIT: looks like you ARE an elf. Well don't I feel silly now. AND I was beaten to the calculation

EDIT EDIT: I wouldn't let you take Incompetent (Bows). But that's just me. More detailed analyses in later post maybe.
Zyerne
You don't need logic for hacking. That's done entirely of program rating.

You've overspent on stats by 35 points, that'd put your logic down to 4

Vehicle skills? Unless your planning on toting that barret around in a taxi? Infiltration?
TickTalk
Now I decide if I'm cutting my edge or my logic? I'm thinking logic by just one point so I can afford nicer qualities and restricted gear

Edit: Oh I did do a lot of changing around. I'll recalculate and the vehicle will be me +Ridiculous amounts of speed enhancing cyberware. Possibly even move by wire as super illegal as it is. I'm hoping that will supply me with enough mobility.
ProfGast
QUOTE (Zyerne @ Nov 15 2010, 11:59 PM) *
You don't need logic for hacking. That's done entirely of program rating.

You've overspent on stats by 35 points, that'd put your logic down to 4

Vehicle skills? Unless your planning on toting that barret around in a taxi? Infiltration?

Zyerne already covered a lot of what I would have said. Except by my count he only overspent by 5. Edge is a "special" attribute and afaik isn't counted towards Attribute BP limits

Also you technically don't NEED vehicle skills since you can let the vehicle pilot (with some autosofts) handle driving if need be.
You DO need some way to get to and from your sniping positions, and preferably some way to keep your sniper rifles relatively discreet. Otherwise you'll be walking around and the rest of the team will go "we can't take you ANYWHERE." Since you'll always be toting around Vera.

Lack of stealth skills means the moment you take the shot, or even possible before the shot is taken, you're liable to be spotted and countered. The most you're likely to be able to get as far as stealth goes, ignoring gear mods, is -3 from being far away -2 for targets distracted/notactivelylookingforyou and -6 for visibility if you're shooting in full darkness. If you do that, then yes, you'll probably be ok with the -11 to everyone else's perception. Mostly you can expect your targets to have -5 to -8 to perception checks if they're not actively looking for you, and if they ARE actively looking for you and are equipped to be on lookout, then at most -6.

Equipment like Chameleon Suit (-4 to perception checks) will help but bear in mind it will only actually give you a -2 unless you also chameleon coat whichever gun you're using.

Mostly it means you may get caught moving into position (bad) and if you do get in position and take a shot, you're almost guaranteed to be sighted immediately (nominally bad since you seem to want to shoot from a kilometer away).

Also to reiterate what Zyerne said:
You do not NEED high logic. If it fits your character, fine, but you won't actually be using logic on any of the skills you bought. At least not with normal rolls.
TickTalk
Oh then I'll be dumping logic a bit then. I thought it was used for hacking. With that dumped down I'll have more room for some stealthy behavior. Also as for getting the gun around in normal everyday life I'll be using a suitcase and disassembling it. Possibly taking a secondary sniper to cover for the fact I own an illegal weapon. I will also look into being hidden with the extra points I've got now due to dumping logic down to about 2 or 3 I might increase body or strength a bit to help with movement but more than likely I'll probably spend it on skills. Off I go to work on it some more.

If any more ideas come to mind please post them.
Zyerne
Yes, my bad, 5 points over.

I'd drop logic to 3, but at least drop it to 5. You need body 3 to wear a chameleon suit without penalties and I'd recommend Will of at least 3 as well.
TickTalk
Where is this quality to take extra restricted items at chargen? I can't find the rules for restricted items at chargen either @.@
Zyerne
Runner's Companion.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (ProfGast @ Nov 16 2010, 04:23 AM) *
Edit: Upon a little more digging, you can actually spend all 6 weapon slots on your Barrett to make it a HIGH VELOCITY full auto weapon.
Allowing you to burn through 12 of the 14 bullets it has in its clip in one complex action. And add a +11 DV to your hail of death.
Granted doing so does terrible terrible things to your accuracy, through recoil. But still, the prices we must pay for turning targets into meaty chunks, right?

Which doesn't help you punch through walls.

If you need Full Auto on a Barrett. You're doing it wrong, and by doing it wrong, I mean if you're fighting something that can eat 9P -8AP + net hits damage, you should have upgraded to an Assault Cannon or missile launcher.

Your 6 mod slots are probably better spent among the following options.

Barrel Extension - 1 Slot
Ceramic/Plasteel Components Level 3 - 1 Slot
Chameleon Coating - 2 Slots
Easy Breakdown Manual - 1 Slot
Exchangeable Weapon Modification - Camouflage Ghillie Shroud (of various types)
Powered Slide Mount - 2 Slots (for the above modification)

Personally, I'd use all + Camo over Chameleon.

Level 3 Ceramic/Plasteel Barrett - 54,000
Level 3 Ceramic/Plasteel Barrel Extension - 54,000
Level 3 Ceramic/Plasteel Easy Breakdown - 54,000
Level 3 Ceramic/Plasteel Powered Slide Mount - 21,000
Grand Total - 183,000 nuyen.gif

Or it might be
Barrett - 9,000
Barrel Extension - 9,000
Easy Breakdown - 9,000
Powered Slide Mount - 3,500
Level 3 Ceramic/Plasteel Components - 183,000
Grand Total - 213,500 nuyen.gif

--

If you want to go dedicated as a sniper I recommend Agility and Intuition as your high stats. Buff your perception skill. Make sure that at all times you fail your own perception checks against yourself.
Zyerne
I seem to remember the guy wanted cyber and some drones. 213k on a gun might push the budget a little biggrin.gif
TickTalk
Well I was up almost all night reading allll about cyberware and all that jibber jabber. All that's left now is to pick knowledge skills (But that's more a flavour thing isn't it?) Here's what I spat out! Please comment on it.

Elf blind sniper

400 bp

30 Elf
40 agility 6
10 logic 2
40 reaction 5
30 intuition 4
20 willpower 3
20 body 3
10 strength 2
0 charisma 3
30 4 edge
-5 Mild addiction psyche
-15 Severely allergic to gold
-5 incompetent with bows
-5 weak immune system
-5 incompetent clubs

10 Aptitude (Longarm specialization Sniper rifles)
5x3 restricted gear

34 longarms 7 SP Sniper Rifles +2
8 Dodge 2
16 perception 4
18 Electronic warfare Specialization Sensor Operation- +2
18 Hacking surveillance +2
8 gymnastics 2
10 Infiltration 2 (Detection method motion sensors +2)
8 climbing 2
14 Disguise 3 Camoflauge +2

250,000 Nuyen

Complete

250k nuyen
6 essence

Barett Model 121

-9k base
Comes with Bipod Silencer and Smartlink

Smart Firing Platform

Chameleon Coating

Easy Breakdown
-Powered

Tracker

Additional clip on gun

Spare clips x10

210 AV Rounds

Chameleon suit e/thermal damping

Cybereyes rating 4
Eye recording
- .5 essence
- 16 slots

Flare compensation
- 1 slot of 16

Low-light vision
-1 slot of 16

Protective covers for eyes

Smartlink
-3 slot of 16

Vision Enhancement rating 3
-3 slot of 16

Vision magnification
-2 slot of 16

Eye Laser system
-Laser microphone rating 3
-Laser Rangefinder
-3 slots of 16

Commlink (Cyberware

Datajack
.1 essence

Fairlight Caliban
.2 essence
4/5

OS

Novatech Navi

Hacking Program max

Firewall max

System max

Fake License (Chameleon suit)
Rating 4

3 fake Sins all rating 3

Certified Credstick x3 1 for each sin

Micro Flare Launcher
22 flares

Ultrasound Sensor (Cyberware head)

Cyberears .4 rating 3

Audio enhancement 3
-3 slots of 12

Balance augmenter
.1 essence

Damper
-1 slot of 12

Ear Recording Unit (Free with cyberears)

Select sound filter rating 6
-6 slots of 12

Spatial Recognizer
-2 slots of 12

Muscle Toner rating 4 (Bioware)
.8 essence essence

Sleep Regulator
.15 essence

Reflex Recorder skill Longarm
.1 essence

Balance Tail
.5 essence

Cyberware lower arms and legs
1.8 essence

1 grapple hand

Skimmer Discs

Grip feet
2 slots of many

Retractible climbing claws
2 slots of many

Magnetic System x4 (Hands and feet)
4.8 k
4 slots in hands and in feet

Reaction Enhancers
.6 essence

-5.25 essence

.75 esscence
105 nuyen

Forgive the format I did it in notepad. Also please ignore the fact that I have no money for myself. I intend to leech off of my team mates and their base of operations etc.

Edit: Unnecessary cyberware is fun. >> With more money and so on over time I want him to begin stockpiling resources of a vehicle contacts so on and so on over time. The negligence to those are for the better running of the character. But that's just me if you really think I need them tell me.
ProfGast
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Nov 16 2010, 04:09 AM) *
Which doesn't help you punch through walls.

If you need Full Auto on a Barrett. You're doing it wrong, and by doing it wrong, I mean if you're fighting something that can eat 9P -8AP + net hits damage, you should have upgraded to an Assault Cannon or missile launcher.

I'm not saying a full auto or HV Barrett is a GOOD idea, just that it is infinitely amusing.
Though it DOES technically help you punch through walls by raising your modified DV.
If the weapon’s modified Damage Value does not exceed the barrier’s Armor rating (modified by the weapon’s AP), then the weapon is simply not strong enough to pierce the barrier, and the attack automatically fails.

Materials like reinforced concrete has an armor rating of 24, which even with 9P -8AP you simply cannot pierce. Not without more than 7 net hits on your attack meaning you better have a monstrous pool, or be burning edge on the shot(Or both!). On the other hand if your attack has 20P -8AP, then you can cut through that thing much easier. Which is a lot better than you can manage with a missile launcher or an assault cannon. At least without modding your assault cannons to rapid fire. Once again however, I'm not actually suggesting a modified HV Sniper rifle. It's just funny.

@TickTalk: Haven't had time to point-by-point check your sheet, however I just want to make sure you're aware that when you mix Bioware and Cyberware, the lower total is actually halved when calculated into total essence loss.
ProfGast
Doublepost
Zyerne
It could do with reformatting but as far as I can tell there's no IP boosters listed. Maybe not totally neccessary for a sniper but if you ever get caught in a situation you're not firing from a mile away you'll likely want them.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (ProfGast @ Nov 16 2010, 01:09 PM) *
Though it DOES technically help you punch through walls by raising your modified DV.

No it doesn't.

Barrier armor functions like normal armor. For an attack to penetrate a barrier, it's DV must exceed the barrier's armor modified by the AP of the attack.
Burst attacks increase DV but do not increase DV for the purpose of comparing it to armor rating. So even though your full burst HV Barret is 20P + Net Hits with -8AP it is only considered 9P + Net Hits with -8AP for the purpose of penetrating a barrier.

So you're capable of easily penetrating heavy structural material (Armor Rating 16) you'd be very hard pressed to penetrate armored material (24 Armor Rating, needing 8 net hits) and it is impossible to penetrated hardened material (Armor Rating 32+) without having at least 16 dice and being really lucky.

If the DV from full auto added, giving you 20P + Net Hits with -8AP, then you would need just 5 net hits to penetrate hardened material and would punch through armored material.
Mayhem_2006
QUOTE (ProfGast @ Nov 16 2010, 09:56 AM) *
EDIT EDIT: I wouldn't let you take Incompetent (Bows). But that's just me. More detailed analyses in later post maybe.

I tend to agree. Its about equivalent of letting the getaway driver specialist take "Incompetent: Steam Locomotives"

Technically legal but in practice, free points for no real penalty.
ProfGast
My mistake. Narrow burst DOES in fact have that clause :-\ Though I'd tend to think that hitting a wall with 12 bullets in the space of less than 3 seconds would tend to dent things no matter how reinforced it is. Just me.
Yerameyahu
Technically, the book says GMs shouldn't allow anything like Incompetent (Bows) if there's no penalty, right.
ProfGast
Aye.
QUOTE (Shadowrun4A @ pg95)
Incompetent
Bonus: 5BP
<STUFF>... ... ...
Gamemasters are free to reject any choices that would prove irrelevant or exploitative in actual play (ie. such as Incompetent: Pilot Aerospace in a campaign where characters are street-level gangers).
TickTalk
QUOTE (Zyerne @ Nov 16 2010, 12:17 PM) *
It could do with reformatting but as far as I can tell there's no IP boosters listed. Maybe not totally neccessary for a sniper but if you ever get caught in a situation you're not firing from a mile away you'll likely want them.

Ip Booster? What page of what?
ProfGast
The Standard character only gets one Initiative Pass per combat turn.
IP boosters:
Cram and Jazz for Drugs
Wired Reflexes/Move By Wire for Cyberware
Synaptic Booster for Bioware
Increase Reflexes for Magic (mage)
Improved Reflexes for Magic (Adept)

All of these give +1 to Reaction and +1 IP per level.
Reaction boosters (Which you have) only give + to Reaction

Extra initiative passes give you an extra set of simple/complex action passes for each one you have, making you that much more lethal in a shorter period of time. Most combat focused characters have at least 3 total. (with the max of 4 in meatspace)
TickTalk
Ah! I've already started dishing aside some cyberware to afford enough essence to get rating 2 move by wire. (It just seems more handy in the long run than wired) Including legal muscle toners so I can swap the restriction on them.
Gamer6432
Plugged the numbers into DK's chargen spreadsheet. Unless I read your last stat posting wrong, you're 4 points over. You've also neglected contacts, which may or may not be an issue for the game this character is made for.
TickTalk
QUOTE (Gamer6432 @ Nov 16 2010, 06:03 PM) *
Plugged the numbers into DK's chargen spreadsheet. Unless I read your last stat posting wrong, you're 4 points over. You've also neglected contacts, which may or may not be an issue for the game this character is made for.

Nope you're right I was 4 points over (I knocked one out of disguise and specialized in assisted climbing for use with my cyberware)

I have a complete character right now popped into the chargen for a blind sniper. Is uploading it somewhere and posting the link against ToS?
CanadianWolverine
I also noticed a lack of Contacts. At the very least take a Fixer of decent (aka hopefully the GM won't be a jerk through my contacts) Loyalty rating with a Connection rating as high as the area you want to take work in, which I assume are intended to be wet works contracts for the most part. Fixers by their description seem to cover equipment, like say ammo, and RUMint acquisition as well - do you really want to go through someone you have to build loyalty from the ground up with to get your shadowrun gear and hope they don't take forever getting it into your hands due to availability?

Oh man, charisma 3 and defaulting on the social skills, are you sure you are going to be acquiring Contacts all that easily after the game starts?

And um, where is the Life Style rating and cost?

One thing I was wondering about, since you are looking to be part hacker/rigger for your advanced scouting, why did you decide to be the weapons platform rather than going Gunnery expert and using drones/vehicles as your weapons platform - wouldn't that give you the ability to blast away with things that go through walls easier at a distance with more mobility? Your vehicle could be well disguised too and you could function in a whole assortment of other roles on the shadow team. *shrug* Oh well, it was just a thought.

Your questions about acquiring shooting intel from a building's own security cameras or your own drones was interesting because it reminded me I bumped into this:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/14/hack-tu...o-capture-tool/
And this:
http://futurismic.com/2009/11/20/3d-object...rdinary-webcam/
Not sure how relevant that IRL stuff is but seems like it could be useful as supporting the possibilities of our imaginary game setting for the purposes of detection devices scouting out and providing good intel on your targets.
TickTalk
I added a squatter lifestyle to my character for a month although I will be leeching off another players place of residence for sleeping. Food etc however for now is coming from dumpsters. Skillwires through movebywire rating 2 in order to be more social is what I think I'm going to do over time. So far our party has no face and over time with my skills already set so high in one area I'll be able to offbranch as I grow.

Edit: I've rearranged the character a lot and basically for any information targeted fire I do I'm rolling (Without sensor test hits) 15 d6's I think if I've got the rules right. I added some muscle enhancement etc. So I SHOULD be good. THough I might always add more muscle enhancement or something like that. (Though not likely with an essence of .01) From here I intend to begin trying to find software means to make up for lack of sociality. Skillwires will work right?

Double Edit: I can use skillwires for a handy vehicle too yeah?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012