Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting for a pbp game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Touch
I’m recruiting for a pbp game. I’m looking for runners in a long term undercover operation. Characters should be willing to devote the next 3-4 years to the operation.

Characters shouldn’t have an excess of obvious cyberware. At the start of the game you will be a normal fresh runner maybe some experience but no real street cred. Characters will be made with 450 BP. The normal caps on abilities or skills is removed however you will have to buy the exceptional attribute or aptitude for the appropriate stat. There is no cap on positive or negative qualities (within reason) in addition you will be going undercover so I won’t allow certain qualities that will cease to have an effect on characters once they go undercover. You can spend up to 15 BP on Nuyen but remember at one point you will have to relinquish certain items especially illegal items.

If you are interested in playing let me know and post a quick character summary and if I think it would be good for the game I will ask for some more info and see how it goes from there. If there are any questions just ask.
J. Packer
I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I'm in the process of working up a character that could be tweaked a bit to fit your parameters. She's an Ork Street Witch, and she would be primarily non-combat, and support, with a side of face.

I'll post the specs when I get a chance, along with the usual 20 questions.
Aria
Sounds interesting! I have a variety of adepts that I am creating for Emerging and one of them could easily be adapted for your game. What sort of time frame are we talking about? 2072 onwards? Sounds like Face type skills will be important and cross over 'jack of all trades' so an adept hacker or infiltrator would suit me (although I'd be learning hacking on the fly as I'm still not that familliar with the rules...)

Couple of questions:
IC Stuff:
Presumably we are being employed to be undercover?
Is there going to be another motivation for the task?
Can you give us some insight in to the target?
Will we know about the other group members?
Will we have access to contacts? Don't want to grab loads if they'll be no use nyahnyah.gif

OoC Stuff:
Does the 15BP of nuyen have to cover all cyber etc...?
Given we'd be starting with 450, what is your stance on initiation at character gen?
Would you accept a non RAW adept power 'body sculpt' which is an advanced form of facial sculpt changing the whole body (I'm sure there have been threads on a smilar power in the forums...)

Thanks

A
Thanee
I wonder what the chances are, that someone will submit a non-awakened, non-technomancer char. wink.gif

Those 15 BP on resources are severely limiting for those kind of chars, while the Mages, Adepts and Technomancers are hardly limited at all.

Maybe you should rethink that part, Touch?

Or give a more clear picture of what kind of characters you are looking for (sounds a bit like "mundane skill monkeys" would be what you are aiming for).

Just a thought. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
BlackHat
QUOTE (Thanee @ Dec 6 2010, 09:39 AM) *
I wonder what the chances are, that someone will submit a non-awakened, non-technomancer char. wink.gif

100%... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

QUOTE (Thanee @ Dec 6 2010, 09:39 AM) *
Those 15 BP on resources are severely limiting for those kind of chars, while the Mages, Adepts and Technomancers are hardly limited at all.

I missed that part on my first read through of the game-pitch. After you pointed it out, though, my interpretation is basically the same as yours. Limiting the characters to 30% of standard gear means they can't afford decent cyber/bioware/commlinks/drones/etc - so there will be a strong instinct will be to play a mage/adept/technomancer and make up for the lack of proper equipment with mojo.

That said, I think I have a fun (but not optimal) idea for a character that I'm going to try to put together a pitch for today. He'd probably be twice as effective if I made him an adept, but you could say that about just about any character, if augmentations are not an option.

I think you're right about the skill-monkey thing, too. From the line about having to relinquish some gear when the PCs go undercover, I imagine that Touch is trying to save us from wasting BP on gear that will just get taken away. I have no idea if the intention was to favor awakened/TM characters or not, but I think he's probably looking for characters that can function without any particular gear (so no gunbunnies who only fire sniper rifles from the hip, or street-sams with (F)orbidden augmentations, etc). The characters are going undercover, so their gear needs to be relatively mundane (or new gear will need to be picked up on the job) and they're going to need to be able to walk through a cyberscanner every day without the thing going nuts.

It just so happens that unless being awakened would raise some eyebrows, an awakened characters is actually pretty awesome at being effective without a lot of gear. TMs are even harder to detect.
Isinghar
Sounds interesting. Would like to sign up:

PhysAdept covert ops type. May try doing with non-obvious bioware instead.

Will post more later today.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Thanee @ Dec 6 2010, 02:39 PM) *

Maybe you should rethink that part, Touch?

Or give a more clear picture of what kind of characters you are looking for (sounds a bit like "mundane skill monkeys" would be what you are aiming for).

Just a thought. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Cletus rides again. biggrin.gif

I'll have to see what an Ork skillmonkey with a modded-out cyberarm will cost in terms of BP's. Arm + cyberarm slide + smartlink + grappling hook + welding torch finger + shock palm = Bionic Commando. I'll look at that tonight, for kicks.
SleepIncarnate
I'll throw my hat in the ring with a TM, I've been itching to make/play one the last week (what can I say, they ARE my favorite character type, and I never seem to get em in a game that lasts here). Can you give us a bit more detail on the story? I mean, if we're going undercover in the Ancients, anything not an elf or elf poser human isn't gonna work, likewise if we're going undercover in Humanis, only human/human looking will do, but if we're going undercover in a corp then that leaves a few other things open. What other restrictions? I'm guessing due to the undercover nature, most metavarients and sapient metacritters are out, but what about other stuff from RC like drakes, HMHVV (thinking Vampire/Banshee mostly here, the others tend to be more obvious unless they're merely carriers), AI, free spirits (well suited for the 3-4 years thing), shapechangers, etc?
Doc Chase
Oh yes, that would be a good thing to have.
Karoline
I'd be interested as well. Thanee and Aria have voiced my questions/concerns, so I'll just wait on responses to those before going any further.

Oh, one other since you didn't mention specifically, will we have access to all books and races?
SleepIncarnate
QUOTE (Karoline @ Dec 6 2010, 09:42 AM) *
I'd be interested as well. Thanee and Aria have voiced my questions/concerns, so I'll just wait on responses to those before going any further.

Oh, one other since you didn't mention specifically, will we have access to all books and races?

I kinda already asked that when I asked about the drakes/HMHVV/etc. But getting an idea of WHAT we're infiltrating makes a big difference. Just look at the examples below:

Pretending to be Wageslaves:
Armor more likely to be armored clothing (i.e. Zoe) than more traditional armors
Weapons pretty much limited to pistols and other concealables (or worse, bare hands/magic/whatever you can hack)
Hacking almost guaranteed to be done by TMs as mundane commlinks will be checked regularly
Most metatypes allowed
Required to be SINners or have VERY good fake SINs

Pretending to be gangers:
Armor more likely to be lined coats, leather jackets, etc
Weapon choices more open, though likely to have a greater lean towards melee
Mundane means of hacking more likely to happen
Metatypes possiblty restricted by the gang
Being SINless is ok, and even expected
BlackHat
QUOTE (Touch @ Dec 5 2010, 11:46 PM) *
The normal caps on abilities or skills is removed however you will have to buy the exceptional attribute or aptitude for the appropriate stat.
If there are any questions just ask.

Does this also mean that the usual cap on abilities (spending no more than half your BP on them) is also lifted? or just that we can have more than one ability maxed out?
SleepIncarnate
Another question I just thought of.... if we're going to be undercover, one would assume living arangements would be covered (unless it's infiltrating a gang or something else of the sort), so should we even bother with lifestyles? If not, then how are we to decide on starting nuyen beyond what's been spent on gear? Just take whatever's left? Roll it as if we're homeless?

And for that matter, where are we going to be playing? At least to start. Seattle, I'm assuming, but that doesn't have to be the case,
BlackHat
I've got a description of my idea put together, but whether or not it would work at all, or whether it could be modified to work, would probably depend on the answer Touch gives us (if he agrees to drop any hints) for the sort of organization we're going to be infiltrating. If this is going to be a game focused on corporate espionage, a totally different character comes to mind than if we're infiltrating an organized crime syndicate.

From the OP, it sounds like Touch might be looking for a standard spread of (gear-light) Runners (who are not tailored to espionage, necessarily), who will be offered an unexpected long-term contract to go undercover somewhere. If its supposed to be a surprise, that could be cool, too, but knowing that might make some decisions easier or harder.

SleepIncarnate
I'm not asking for specifics, but a general idea. The Johnsons (or fixers) usually vet the runners for the job based on what's needed. If the job is to be completely low key in a corp, they're not likely to hire any obvious changelings, not to mention most metavariants (like the nartaki or oni) that are obvious, but if infiltrating the Ancients then maybe a changeling, dryad, nightkin, etc would be acceptable as long as most people would consider the individual to be an elf at first glance.

Likewise, I have two ideas running through my head at the moment, one a dwarven e-scapist teen fresh from school who's been running the shadows secretly for the last year, who also happens to have issues when in the meat (mixes up real object and AROs, prefers the anonymity of her living persona, etc). The other's an amerind elven technoshaman with ADD who follows pulse and is all about "shadowrunner fashion" and fast paced music. I'll flesh both out when I get back to my books in a few hours (on ground duty at work tonight) and will decide then.
Takino
I'll happily come up with something. Something special *mwa ha ha ha ha*
J. Packer
No lie, now I'm tempted to take the challenge and play a human with no magic, no resonance and no cyber/bio.
Takino
.. perhaps I could create a character with an unhealthy obsession with piracy...
SleepIncarnate
Edited: Just the one character

Pygmalia:
When first you meet her, it's via the Matrix, her persona appearing in your field of view as a beautiful young dwarf, in maybe her mid 20's, with flowing red hair that seems to move constantly as though in a breeze, piercing green eyes, and a beaming smile. As she moves about the Matrix, she seems almost like a warrior woman from one of the trids - fluid, graceful, in complete control. She wears a tight latex body suit with a trenchcoat over it, which also seems to be blowing in a breeze. And then you meet her in person.... a small (even for a dwarf), nervous girl, looking no more than 12 or 13. Her dirty red hair is a mess, her eyes seem dull and listless, and she's far too thin. She is dressed only in jeans and a t-shirt that's too big for her frame, and she constantly rubs her arm and seems to be looking for a way out, to get back to somewhere that's not here.

Touch
Alright first off I want to say sorry for not being very clear this is my first time running a pbp game so thanks for your patients. I also don't want to give too much away I want people to build characters that are not specifically built for the sole purpose of infiltration.
QUOTE (Aria @ Dec 6 2010, 06:27 AM) *
Couple of questions:
IC Stuff:
Presumably we are being employed to be undercover?
Is there going to be another motivation for the task?
Can you give us some insight in to the target?
Will we know about the other group members?
Will we have access to contacts? Don't want to grab loads if they'll be no use nyahnyah.gif

OoC Stuff:
Does the 15BP of nuyen have to cover all cyber etc...?
Given we'd be starting with 450, what is your stance on initiation at character gen?
Would you accept a non RAW adept power 'body sculpt' which is an advanced form of facial sculpt changing the whole body (I'm sure there have been threads on a smilar power in the forums...)

Thanks

A

IC: Yes you will be employed to do it, their may be more motivation after your characters get more involved but it will start off as just money.
I won't give out any more info on the target.
Characters will meet each other briefly before the job, but they will be separated to keep their relationship secret, and then given a signal to give to others once your in place.
Contacts are a bit trickier, really they are just phone numbers so if your character could get in touch with them before hand there would be no reason they couldn't now. That being said you will be abandoning your identity so if
you do keep contacts their loyalties will be 1 unless you decide to reveal yourself to them jeopardizing the cover.
OOC: The 15BP cap on nuyen was more to protect you guys from buying too much gear and losing all of it after starting, so I'll allow the usual limit so people can get cyberware.
I would prefer not having initiation for these characters.
I Want everything to be from the books.

Touch
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Dec 6 2010, 08:58 AM) *
I kinda already asked that when I asked about the drakes/HMHVV/etc. But getting an idea of WHAT we're infiltrating makes a big difference. Just look at the examples below:

Pretending to be Wageslaves:
Armor more likely to be armored clothing (i.e. Zoe) than more traditional armors
Weapons pretty much limited to pistols and other concealables (or worse, bare hands/magic/whatever you can hack)
Hacking almost guaranteed to be done by TMs as mundane commlinks will be checked regularly
Most metatypes allowed
Required to be SINners or have VERY good fake SINs

Pretending to be gangers:
Armor more likely to be lined coats, leather jackets, etc
Weapon choices more open, though likely to have a greater lean towards melee
Mundane means of hacking more likely to happen
Metatypes possiblty restricted by the gang
Being SINless is ok, and even expected

Just the normal races no metavarients, drakes, changelings, AIs,HMHVV infected, etc.
You will be starting as a new runner not going directly undercover so have what you feel you would need to be a good runner.
Touch
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Dec 6 2010, 12:30 PM) *
Another question I just thought of.... if we're going to be undercover, one would assume living arangements would be covered (unless it's infiltrating a gang or something else of the sort), so should we even bother with lifestyles? If not, then how are we to decide on starting nuyen beyond what's been spent on gear? Just take whatever's left? Roll it as if we're homeless?

And for that matter, where are we going to be playing? At least to start. Seattle, I'm assuming, but that doesn't have to be the case,

We will be starting in Seattle and after you get accepted to the job living expenses will be taken care so just by a month or so of lifestyle to illustrate how your character has been living up until now.
Touch
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Dec 6 2010, 12:51 PM) *
I've got a description of my idea put together, but whether or not it would work at all, or whether it could be modified to work, would probably depend on the answer Touch gives us (if he agrees to drop any hints) for the sort of organization we're going to be infiltrating. If this is going to be a game focused on corporate espionage, a totally different character comes to mind than if we're infiltrating an organized crime syndicate.

From the OP, it sounds like Touch might be looking for a standard spread of (gear-light) Runners (who are not tailored to espionage, necessarily), who will be offered an unexpected long-term contract to go undercover somewhere. If its supposed to be a surprise, that could be cool, too, but knowing that might make some decisions easier or harder.

Yeah you got it right I want it to be more of a surprise. However you will be infiltrating somewhere that prizes skill of any type so no one is going to be awful for the job.
SleepIncarnate
QUOTE (Touch @ Dec 7 2010, 02:22 AM) *
Just the normal races no metavarients, drakes, changelings, AIs,HMHVV infected, etc.
You will be starting as a new runner not going directly undercover so have what you feel you would need to be a good runner.

Not even changelings that no one (not even themselves) know are changelings? Hmm, damn, back to the drawing board.
Saint Sithney
Here's my try at a mundane with no restricted cyber. Figure without starting initiation, any magic is just as obvious as chrome.

Concept: An Orkland native who lived and fought through Saito's regime in San Francisco. After the fighting was done, he wasn't. He kept on fighting, this time in semi-legal boxing matches. Everyone was supposed to be chrome, mojo and drug free, but most weren't. In order to keep competitive with the other cheaters, Brass started cheating himself, getting expensive bioware, and, like all the other cheaters, eventually getting caught. No longer on the up-and-up of the under ground, he fell into the pit fights with twisted adepts and cybered-up hulks of metal. He learned to use combat drugs properly to stay in the game, but eventually he realized he was just going to get ground up by the monster of the week, and, so, he left to find other employment. He had the skills to work the shadows, but no clout, no friends and a big stamp on him as a cheat and a loser.

CODE
Medgar "Brass" Williams
Male Ork
2.1 M / 151 kg

BOD   7    (30)   Positive Qualities:
AGI   5(7) (40)     Lighning Reflexes        (15)
REA   5(7) (40)     Martial Arts x2        (10)  [Boxing +2 DV]
STR   5(7)    (20)    
CHA   2    (10)     Prej. Common, Biased    (-10)  [Japanese]
INT   4    (30)     Hung out to dry        (-10)
LOG   2    (10)     Bad Rep                (-5)
WIL   5    (40)    
EDG   5    (40)    
ESS   3.60

Active Skills:                       Knowledge Skills (18):
10   Athletics Group 1                Regional [Oakland] 2
30   Firearms Group 3                 Street Drugs 2
10   Influence Group 1                Back-room businesses  2
30   Stealth Group 3                       [insert other appropriate KS]
26    Unarmed Combat (Boxing) 6(7)    
18    Dodge (Ranged) 4                        
16    Perception 4                    

Gear 30BP
Bioware (1.8 Essence):all std
  Muscle Toner 2;  Muscle Augmentation 2; Bone Density Augmentation 3; Reflex Recorder - Unarmed
Cyberware (.4 Essence, halved to 0.2): all std
  Attention Coprocessor 3; Datajack (wrist)
Gene Treatment (.4 Essence counts towards Bioware total): all std
  Reakt

10,500¥ worth of Sundries
Low lifestyle
Drugs
Fake SIN
Heavy Pistol
Personal electronics

Now edited for the fat stacks of cash.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Touch @ Dec 7 2010, 03:19 AM) *
I also don't want to give too much away I want people to build characters that are not specifically built for the sole purpose of infiltration.

I thought this might be the case. I'll need to rework some of the idea I was working on yesterday to make it more general, but I'll probably have a description ready this afternoon.
sabs
When you say no obvious cyberware.. what about Obvious Bodysculpting?

I had this idea for an electronics expert dwarf, who had extensive bodysculting and genetherapy done to turn himself into a monkey.

Opposable feet, tail, fur all over the body, etc.
Is that too weird ? smile.gif

The character himself is a Electronics Wiz. He builds drones, tranceivers, micro sensors, and has enough infiltration,gymnastics, etc to install them. He's good at doing 'physical' hacking. Intercepting communications and creating a network of information gathering. I thought he might make a good 'undercover' asset to allow the creation of spy-gear for others after they've gone under. (Depending as to why)

He doesn't HAVE to be a monkey, though the monkey part just makes it more fun. It's part of his eccentricity.

BlackHat
QUOTE (sabs @ Dec 7 2010, 10:44 AM) *

I had this idea for an electronics expert dwarf, who had extensive bodysculting and genetherapy done to turn himself into a monkey.

Not if you're going undercover in a zoo! wink.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (sabs @ Dec 7 2010, 10:44 AM) *

Given the disallowing of metavariants, I don't think a monkey is going to quite fit in. I'm sure bodysculpting to look more beautiful or something would be fine.

I would also think that changelings that don't have any (really odd) physical changes would be okay, and perhaps metavariants that aren't obviously so (Dryads come to mind).

That's all just my speculation of course, don't want to put words in our GM's mouth.
BlackHat
Okay, two ideas (both mundane, for fun, although adepts would obviously do the jobs better)... here are some quick summaries, and if Touch is interested I can go into more detail or flesh out stats (at which point, the concepts might shift a little).

Idea 1 - A surveillance specialist / tactical coordinator. maybe an ex-corp security-rigger (rigging CCSS sensors to keep a keen eye on a larger area), but now a Runner (maybe part time private detective) who fills more of an investigative role, putting his attention to detail and analytical mind towards gathering clues that could be vital to just about any mission. In addition to recon and initial legwork, he specializes in providing overwatch during a mission (when he can avoid getting knee-deep in it, himself) - perhaps coordinating a team with tacsoft software (which probably won't be an option for this particular run). Although not built for deep-cover missions, he would bring a perceptive eye, and photographic memory to the operation that could prove very useful if the team is intended to spend 3-4 years gathering intelligence. He would also normally operate with a lot of gear that probably wouldn't be available for a mission like this one - but I imagine he could sell it off (or put it in storage) when it becomes obvious that he will be going into hiding/cover for a few years.

Idea 2 - A con-man with a penchant for stage magic - and trouble. His skill at misdirection, and fast hands, make him an excellent pickpocket, lockpicker, adn escape artist - more archaic skills that no longer get the respect they deserve in the Shadows. His unassuming demeanor helps him avoid unwanted attention, and his silver tongue and trustworthy demeanor help him slip out of most of the trouble that finds him. I think it might be fun if he has someone after him - some con went wrong, and now maybe there is a price on his head. In any case, although he isn't looking for this kind of work, he would jump at the opportunity to "lay low" for a few years, until the heat dies off. I wouldn't count this price on his head as a disadvantage, since it would (ideally) not affect him once his cover identity is established. As far as what he might bring to this sort of operation, he could operate fairly effectively in the infiltration role, and can apply his skill at misdirection to help draw attention away from himself and the team. Depending on what sort of information we're there to gather, his sleight-of-hand might be useful for discretely palming something from the "inside" (datachip, keycard, etc) and either hand it off to another agent, or smuggle it out of a secure building while under heavy surveillance.
Isinghar
“Stone” – Austin Rivers

Description:
Stone is a devastatingly handsome elf, of mixed Latino-Caucasian descent with light golden-tanned skin, striking silver eyes, high cheek bones and long jet-black hair. He is tall and slender, and wears fashionable clothing, a big black Stetson hat and cowboy boots.

Background Story:

Those that follow the celebrity gossip and the doings and goings of Hollywood will recognize Stone from his glory days as a male entertainer/actor in the erotic trideo industry. He broke into the scene when he was discovered as a bodyguard for a number of starlets and his “career” took off without looking back.

However the life of drugs, alcohol and beautiful women came to a crashing end after a night of binge-drinking and excesses which resulted in Stone facing jail-time for the statutory rape of two underage young girls, from prominent Hollywood families.

Stone fled Los Angeles with his few possessions and has been hiding out in Seattle for the last 6 months, looking over his shoulders and running away from any signs of authority. He has picked up many skills in the art of disguise from the make-up artists on set, and is usually not easily recognizable.

======================
Mainly a face character with high Con/Disguise/Infiltration skills, aong with Negotiation and Etiquette. Leans heavily towards Corporate knowledge skills, fine cuisine, wines, etc. A bit of a junkie. and prone to sudden burts of rage (cyberpsychosis). Will flesh out further if Touch accepts him into the team!
J. Packer
I, too, came up with two options. One, the street witch I hinted at at the top of the thread, the second a generalist and independent troubleshooter with problems of his own.

1) Alaina Marie - she's an ork, she's Wiccan, and she sees her territory, four or five city blocks full of slums, and converted warehouses, as her protectorate. She's not combat savvy by any stretch, but has skills and spells and spirits to help keep her charges hale and whole and all together.
[ Spoiler ]

2) Joe Smith - He's everyman and nobody, a generalist subcontractor brought in to handle odd jobs that the corps don't want to dirty their hands with. Strong investigative skills, and a general level of competence not usually seen in a single individual. The bad news is that the Yakuza is deep into him, for nearly 23 g's, and the interest alone is on the brink of getting him killed. He needs a big score, something that'll promise to keep the Yaks off his back, and maybe leave him with a few nuyen to rub together at the end of the day.
[ Spoiler ]
Takino
I've got some workable concepts I think, hammering out some details, I'll post more in a bit.
pbangarth
MacGeezer

They took his shop. They took his neighbourhood. They took his brother, the bastards. Gave him an "offer he couldn't refuse". He could have ended it in a show of stupid bravado. But he isn't stupid. He will bide his time, here on the other side of the continent where they will forget him. He won't forget. He will plan meticulously. In time his revenge will be sweet.

But time is his enemy. The hairline is receding, and the joints are creaking. The implants he bought with their blood money stalled the inevitable, but brought their own physical price. He is weaker. He gets sick easily. His eyes are jaundiced with stress. It doesn't matter. He just has to live long enough to make them pay. And to live, he sells his skills. There is no machine he can't fix. If it moves, he can drive it. And give him a paper clip and a roll of duct tape, and he will break out of any trap.

For the difficult, call someone else. For the impossible.... call MacGeezer.
Takino
Veerle
Female Human
1.64 M / 55 kg

BOD 5 (40) Positive/Negative Qualities:
AGI 5 (40) Lighning Reflexes (15)
REA 5 (40) First Impression (5)
STR 3 (20) Magician (15)
CHA 6 (65) Combat Paralysis (+20)
INT 6 (65) Impulsive
LOG 6 (65) Vindictive
WIL 4 (30)
EDG 4 (20)
MAG 5 (40)
ESS 6

Active Skills: Knowledge Skills:
Athletics Group 1 Corporate Finances 2
Influence Group 4 Current Events 4
Intimidation 3 Criminal Organizations 2
Instruction 4 History 3
Dodge 4 MegaCorporate Politics 4
Throwing Weapons 3 MegaCorporate Security 1
Perception 5
Astral Combat 4
Sorcery 4

Spells:
Flamethrower - Powerbolt - Heal - Mass Confusion - Ice Sheet - Levitate - Light - Physical Barrier

amidoinitrite? The character generator I was using says 445 BP but I'm not certain that it counted the skill points accurately.

*edit* And I suppose I should probably buy some kind of equipment while I'm at it.
Takino
Veerle

If looks could kill... That is very literally near the truth when someone is faced with Veerle's ice-cold stare. But inwardly she trembles, hoping dearly that no one sees through her bluff. She's tried the corporate world, she's tried becoming a magician, she's tried it all, but her hot temper and impulsive nature always seem to derail her life at exactly the wrong moments

With nowhere left to turn, she abandoned what she new to turn to a life of a runner. By nature not cut out for a hard life, it is by her wits that she manages to survive each day, each day hoping to return to the life she once knew.
Aria
Swift, once part of the Wolf Pack, she is a genetically modified twin who grew up with her sister in the Stillwater community outside Redmond. Much to the delight of this transhumanist community both she and her sister manifested adept powers at puberty. During the summer of 2070 the community was attacked by outside forces and Swift’s sister was killed. Bereft of the other side of herself, she left the community that held such bad memories, for a while at least. She has acted the part of travelling performer or street level enforcer, her genetic inheritance has provided her with a broad range of skills and a lethal attitude.

The chance to bury herself in another personality would be too good an opportunity for her to pass up.
Touch
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Dec 7 2010, 06:24 AM) *
Here's my try at a mundane with no restricted cyber. Figure without starting initiation, any magic is just as obvious as chrome.

Concept: An Orkland native who lived and fought through Saito's regime in San Francisco. After the fighting was done, he wasn't. He kept on fighting, this time in semi-legal boxing matches. Everyone was supposed to be chrome, mojo and drug free, but most weren't. In order to keep competitive with the other cheaters, Brass started cheating himself, getting expensive bioware, and, like all the other cheaters, eventually getting caught. No longer on the up-and-up of the under ground, he fell into the pit fights with twisted adepts and cybered-up hulks of metal. He learned to use combat drugs properly to stay in the game, but eventually he realized he was just going to get ground up by the monster of the week, and, so, he left to find other employment. He had the skills to work the shadows, but no clout, no friends and a big stamp on him as a cheat and a loser.
[ Spoiler ]

Brass is almost good however I want you to get rid of hung out to dry and and bad rep, I mentioned before nothing that will become useless after giving up your identity
Takino
This certainly is looking to be an... interesting mix of characters. I can't wait to see how they react to each other.
Touch
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Dec 7 2010, 10:03 AM) *
Okay, two ideas (both mundane, for fun, although adepts would obviously do the jobs better)... here are some quick summaries, and if Touch is interested I can go into more detail or flesh out stats (at which point, the concepts might shift a little).

Idea 1 - A surveillance specialist / tactical coordinator. maybe an ex-corp security-rigger (rigging CCSS sensors to keep a keen eye on a larger area), but now a Runner (maybe part time private detective) who fills more of an investigative role, putting his attention to detail and analytical mind towards gathering clues that could be vital to just about any mission. In addition to recon and initial legwork, he specializes in providing overwatch during a mission (when he can avoid getting knee-deep in it, himself) - perhaps coordinating a team with tacsoft software (which probably won't be an option for this particular run). Although not built for deep-cover missions, he would bring a perceptive eye, and photographic memory to the operation that could prove very useful if the team is intended to spend 3-4 years gathering intelligence. He would also normally operate with a lot of gear that probably wouldn't be available for a mission like this one - but I imagine he could sell it off (or put it in storage) when it becomes obvious that he will be going into hiding/cover for a few years.

Idea 2 - A con-man with a penchant for stage magic - and trouble. His skill at misdirection, and fast hands, make him an excellent pickpocket, lockpicker, adn escape artist - more archaic skills that no longer get the respect they deserve in the Shadows. His unassuming demeanor helps him avoid unwanted attention, and his silver tongue and trustworthy demeanor help him slip out of most of the trouble that finds him. I think it might be fun if he has someone after him - some con went wrong, and now maybe there is a price on his head. In any case, although he isn't looking for this kind of work, he would jump at the opportunity to "lay low" for a few years, until the heat dies off. I wouldn't count this price on his head as a disadvantage, since it would (ideally) not affect him once his cover identity is established. As far as what he might bring to this sort of operation, he could operate fairly effectively in the infiltration role, and can apply his skill at misdirection to help draw attention away from himself and the team. Depending on what sort of information we're there to gather, his sleight-of-hand might be useful for discretely palming something from the "inside" (datachip, keycard, etc) and either hand it off to another agent, or smuggle it out of a secure building while under heavy surveillance.

I like both of the concepts so pick one and send me a PM with more detail on the one you choose and work on some stats. Later I will post some questions and requirements that I would like to know about characters.
Touch
QUOTE (Isinghar @ Dec 7 2010, 10:50 AM) *
“Stone” – Austin Rivers

Description:
Stone is a devastatingly handsome elf, of mixed Latino-Caucasian descent with light golden-tanned skin, striking silver eyes, high cheek bones and long jet-black hair. He is tall and slender, and wears fashionable clothing, a big black Stetson hat and cowboy boots.

Background Story:

Those that follow the celebrity gossip and the doings and goings of Hollywood will recognize Stone from his glory days as a male entertainer/actor in the erotic trideo industry. He broke into the scene when he was discovered as a bodyguard for a number of starlets and his “career” took off without looking back.

However the life of drugs, alcohol and beautiful women came to a crashing end after a night of binge-drinking and excesses which resulted in Stone facing jail-time for the statutory rape of two underage young girls, from prominent Hollywood families.

Stone fled Los Angeles with his few possessions and has been hiding out in Seattle for the last 6 months, looking over his shoulders and running away from any signs of authority. He has picked up many skills in the art of disguise from the make-up artists on set, and is usually not easily recognizable.

======================
Mainly a face character with high Con/Disguise/Infiltration skills, aong with Negotiation and Etiquette. Leans heavily towards Corporate knowledge skills, fine cuisine, wines, etc. A bit of a junkie. and prone to sudden burts of rage (cyberpsychosis). Will flesh out further if Touch accepts him into the team!

I like it so far, I would like a little more detail, but we will get to that later.
Touch
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Dec 7 2010, 01:08 PM) *
I, too, came up with two options. One, the street witch I hinted at at the top of the thread, the second a generalist and independent troubleshooter with problems of his own.

1) Alaina Marie - she's an ork, she's Wiccan, and she sees her territory, four or five city blocks full of slums, and converted warehouses, as her protectorate. She's not combat savvy by any stretch, but has skills and spells and spirits to help keep her charges hale and whole and all together.
[ Spoiler ]

2) Joe Smith - He's everyman and nobody, a generalist subcontractor brought in to handle odd jobs that the corps don't want to dirty their hands with. Strong investigative skills, and a general level of competence not usually seen in a single individual. The bad news is that the Yakuza is deep into him, for nearly 23 g's, and the interest alone is on the brink of getting him killed. He needs a big score, something that'll promise to keep the Yaks off his back, and maybe leave him with a few nuyen to rub together at the end of the day.
[ Spoiler ]

I like both of the characters but Joe Smith has the debt and he will be dropping out of touch so the Yakuza and I don't want negative qualities that drop off once going undercover, other than that he is good.
Touch
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 7 2010, 11:45 PM) *
MacGeezer

They took his shop. They took his neighbourhood. They took his brother, the bastards. Gave him an "offer he couldn't refuse". He could have ended it in a show of stupid bravado. But he isn't stupid. He will bide his time, here on the other side of the continent where they will forget him. He won't forget. He will plan meticulously. In time his revenge will be sweet.

But time is his enemy. The hairline is receding, and the joints are creaking. The implants he bought with their blood money stalled the inevitable, but brought their own physical price. He is weaker. He gets sick easily. His eyes are jaundiced with stress. It doesn't matter. He just has to live long enough to make them pay. And to live, he sells his skills. There is no machine he can't fix. If it moves, he can drive it. And give him a paper clip and a roll of duct tape, and he will break out of any trap.

For the difficult, call someone else. For the impossible.... call MacGeezer.

I love the character, but honestly I feel like you would be wasting him on this game because of a few things that are going to happen. I also have more people than I would like on the game, if you are still interested feel free to make a new character and if a spot opens up you'll be considered.
Touch
QUOTE (Takino @ Dec 8 2010, 12:37 AM) *
Veerle

If looks could kill... That is very literally near the truth when someone is faced with Veerle's ice-cold stare. But inwardly she trembles, hoping dearly that no one sees through her bluff. She's tried the corporate world, she's tried becoming a magician, she's tried it all, but her hot temper and impulsive nature always seem to derail her life at exactly the wrong moments

With nowhere left to turn, she abandoned what she new to turn to a life of a runner. By nature not cut out for a hard life, it is by her wits that she manages to survive each day, each day hoping to return to the life she once knew.

I like the character and what you have told me about her so far.
Touch
QUOTE (Aria @ Dec 8 2010, 02:10 AM) *
Swift, once part of the Wolf Pack, she is a genetically modified twin who grew up with her sister in the Stillwater community outside Redmond. Much to the delight of this transhumanist community both she and her sister manifested adept powers at puberty. During the summer of 2070 the community was attacked by outside forces and Swift’s sister was killed. Bereft of the other side of herself, she left the community that held such bad memories, for a while at least. She has acted the part of travelling performer or street level enforcer, her genetic inheritance has provided her with a broad range of skills and a lethal attitude.

The chance to bury herself in another personality would be too good an opportunity for her to pass up.

I would like to have the character in the game.

Touch
Alright so the players that I am currently considering and need more information on their characters are:
Sinn
Takino
J. Packer
Isinghar
BlackHat
Saint Sithney
Aria

I would like the following information sent to me in a PM, I like details of character unknown to other players until they are ready to share.

I want you to answer the character quiz from the Runner's Companion, I'll post the questions here, I would like you to answer at least 15 of them.
[ Spoiler ]

Also I would like to know:
What your driving goals are?
What your emotional triggers are.
What crimes they believe ok, and which ones they don't approve of.
Hey they feel about themselves and what they do.
Their favorite color.
What they wear while working, and while they are not working.
Also a theme song, not just one that the character likes, but one that if someone heard it they would be reminded of the character.

Not required after the questions, but if you want to write a detailed background story I wouldn't be apposed.
Takino
Awesome, I'll get right to that!

*edit* Hey I think you double-posted some of the questions.
Takino
Done and done. Veerle is becoming more fleshed-out every day. Not physically, of course. Weight gain and running don't go well together.
Aria
Here's Swift (Work in Progress - still got nuyen to spend and I need to add on the various power bonuses)...comments welcome, especially if I've missed something obvious or you feel she is a tad munchkined/one trick pony etc?!?

Character Sketch: Here

[ Spoiler ]
BlackHat
QUOTE (Touch @ Dec 9 2010, 02:21 AM) *
I like both of the concepts so pick one and send me a PM with more detail on the one you choose and work on some stats. Later I will post some questions and requirements that I would like to know about characters.

I'll pick one and get you something this afternoon. I'll probably draft up some stats and start on the questions for both, and use that to decide which one I like better - but I'll PM you with one or the other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012