Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rogue Trader Play by Post
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
LurkerOutThere
Well it was too good to last and to be honest two games of Shadowrun a week, even if one was missions adventures, was taking it's toll on me. I got all set to run Rogue Trader and my players opted for Scion instead. This has left me intrigued by RT but no table of it to run. As such if folks would be interested in a play by post Rogue Trader game should PM me with their email address(especially if they have one that already has waye). We'll be using google wave as a medium and i'm looking for folks that can post several times a week although it doesn't have to be novels each time. Let me know if you are interested.
Tanegar
I may be getting Rogue Trader for Christmas, and if so I would definitely be interested. Will PM you if it materializes.
LurkerOutThere
Cool, so far no bites although I'm expecting at least a couple of interested parties from my regular group.
Grinder
You should post in the "Welcome to the shadows"-section. I'm sure you'll more interest there.
StealthSigma
I have a mild interest, but I have no Rogue Trader material nor have I ever had good experiences with play by post.
LurkerOutThere
I wasn't sure if that would be permitted Grinder, I will do that.

Grinder
You can post whereever you want, but I'm sure the sub-board dedicated to PbP-games will get this game call more attention. nyahnyah.gif
Zyerne
Did you get my PM Lurker?
Karoline
Oooohhh, that's why the name sounded so familiar. Warhammer 40k game. Could be interesting, but sadly, no bookies.
LurkerOutThere
I did Zyyrene sorry, at the time I got it I was on my phone and I hate typing on that thing. I will repost in the sub board.
Karoline
So, I grabbed a copy of the book and have been looking through it. Very interesting stuff. Takes a bit to wrap your head around the fact that you're a super big-shot, and raises some odd questions (If I'm such a big shot, why would I ever be in combat myself instead of sending in my personal army?), but overall looks fun.

I made up an explorator that is surprisingly good in combat but a bit fragile (minimum wounds roll).

Lurker, maybe you can clear it up for me, but any idea why they list the skills/talents that you automatically get as part of your career in the stuff you can buy at career rank 1? Is it some sort of thing to help with crossover to different systems or what? Just curious because it had me confused for a while, thinking I could improve the skills that I started with until I noticed that it listed talents that I already had as well which couldn't be taken multiple times.
Zyerne
That's covered in the errata which basically says "Ignore it, we're covering our asses in case we need them later."

There's a rule somewhere that states if you get multiples of a talent take the Talented talent in place of the second one.

Edit: Skills and Talents, the sequel. Box, bottom right, page 15.
Karoline
That clears it up, and then I noticed in the errata that one of the other books does seem to do something with additional origins and careers and such, so maybe important from that.

I really wish home worlds gave actual skills though instead of 'treat this as basic untrained' because it seems as though your likely career is going to have that skill anyway. It was my major disappointment with forge world as the starting world for my Explorator character, all the 'treat as basic' skills were ones that Explorators get anyway. Oh well, can't argue with 51 int smile.gif
Zyerne
Into the Storm adds a advanced career for each primary, which you can take one rank of at some point in your career progression.

It also adds new homeworlds and origin options along with Orks and Kroot.

As to char gen, for a pbp game I'd prefer points gen I think.

Lastly, a gripe with the rules, the only one I have really. The starting characters are somewhat limited in weapon selection. This isn't helped by the fact that the pregens in the rules preview have weapons not actually on their career writeups.
Karoline
I think my character's stats likely come out to less than the 100 points given for the point gen system. Mostly had 11s and then a 15, 17 and 5, 3 or something like that.

As for the weapon selection, remember that you get any equipment with a total modifier of +0 as part of chargen as well, which can be any weapon in the book of good quality except for the archeotech laspistol and storm bolter which you can get at common quality. Heck, some you can even manage at best quality.

Not sure what pregens you're looking at, but that could be where they are coming from. And if it is common stuff, it could be that it is assumed the GM will let you start with something that is going to be a +60 or so item.
Zyerne
Pregens are in Forsaken Bounty, which is a condensed version, with scenario that they release for Gen Con or some similar event.

As to the weapons, I realise you can choose 1 of almost anything but there a lot of other things to pick from besides weapons. I guess I just don't like being tied to a choice of 3 or 4 in the characters starting gear.

Karoline
Well, as I said, GM can allow for a large number of more common items, and depending on starting PF, it could be exceptionally easy to grab various things.
LurkerOutThere
I just wanted to let everyone know I havn't forgotten this I've just been extremely busy. Sometime in the next couple days (hopefully tonight) I'll do a short in character piece on the central Rogue Trader family you will either be members of or serving/aligned with. I will also start up in character and out of character threads in the Shadows forum as google wave looks like it is shutting down soon (more the pity that). To put it briefly the PC's will be scions or retune of an extremely old Rogue Trader dynasty that is on the cusp of an internal struggle. The main focus of the game will be not only exploration and wealth but interdynasty and interstellar intrigue and manuevering. The game will not only deal with the Kronos expanse but your family has deep seated ties to the Calixis sector meaning you may be present and engaged in activities there as well.

Drace
This looks good, any chance there are any spots left? Got a few RT campaigns under my belt and pBp looks like a good outlet now that I am tabletop-less.

Also, there is a semi-finished chargen here. Not going to do everything, but can help speed up making characters.
Karoline
Sounds very interesting. I've made a host of characters since I've had alot of time without internet lately. I think I have everything except a Void-Master at this point, though I certainly have favorites, high among them being my original Explorator. I've also made a Sensechel and Navigator that I'm fairly fond of if a tech role isn't all that helpful. I'm really not sure what rolls are 'required' or anything. Seems like virtually anything could be done by an NPC given the ability to hire so many so easily. I suppose the more social roles would be hard to delegate, but virtually anything else seems like it could easily be handled by an NPC (or army thereof).

Oh, and are we rolling stats or just using 100? And what should we do about things like rolling up accumulated corruption and insanity? Just wait for the game to start?

And one final question: I noticed that it is possible for a Rogue Trader to take Renowned Warrant which means their Warrant is really old and cool and stuff. If one person gets it, would everyone in the group gain the benefits? And would this be something that would be required to be bought at character generation, or something that could be gotten later? I figure in the interests of balance, the talent might be less that the Warrant becomes better, and more that the character knows how to throw that weight around properly.

Edit:
P.S. Is stuff from Into the Storm allowed? I'm considering getting a copy with Christmas money, but less likely to if the stuff isn't allowed.
Tanegar
I'm leaning toward an Explorator myself. I was torn between an Explorator and a Void-Master, but then I hit on (what I consider to be) a really neat quirk for an Adeptus Mechanicus character: his vox modulator has a per-persistent fault that cau-auses him to talk like-like SHODAN. Little things like that are what draw me into my characters. cyber.gif
Karoline
By His will, you are ordered to get a move on before you are found guilty of Heresy nyahnyah.gif
Zyerne
I'm looking at Arch-Militant or Void Master myself. Interesting that no-one has mentioned wanting to play the "Boss".
Karoline
QUOTE (Zyerne @ Dec 29 2010, 11:14 PM) *
I'm looking at Arch-Militant or Void Master myself. Interesting that no-one has mentioned wanting to play the "Boss".

I was quite underwhelmed at my attempt at making a Rogue Trader.

I'd have to say that my Explorator and Navigator have been my favorites so far. I'm also fond of my Sensechel, Missionary, and Astropath Transendant. My Arch-Militant is alright (quite good actually, 19 + 1d5 wounds nyahnyah.gif) but just don't feel the character very well. Same goes for my RT. Don't feel the character and seems fairly lackluster overall. Might try remaking the RT now that I have a better grasp of the system (Finally got around to reading the combat rules smile.gif ) and a bit of a better understanding of what a RT is really supposed to be.

Haven't made a void-master yet as the prospect seems distinctly unappealing for some reason.

You said you have Into the Stars, right? Is it a good book? Still strongly considering grabbing it, as I think more character options could be just what I'm looking for. Of course, would at least like to be sure they'll be an option in this game before I go out and get the book.
Zyerne
It's not a bad book, certainly, and adds a lot of scope to character creation.

The background material is also worth reading, there's a long section on Port Wander.

It also has my favourite player ship along with a lot of smaller vehicles, aircraft, groundcraft etc.

Overall, I'm not entirely sure it's worth the price but on the flip side of that, I don't think you'd regret buying it. Then again, I bought a LE SR4A, so I guess value is relative smile.gif

Drace
Not to mention the rules for vehicles alone makes that book worth the price for a DH or RT game.

So who all does lurker have for this game so far? And what are people wanting to play. So far got:
1)A RT who slummed it for a few years in a hive city for kicks before joining the navy at the family's behest (re; gun point) and may go the privateer route,
2)A navigator who is a nomad wanting to go where others haven't and sire as many children as possible,
3)A missionary who fanatically believes his boss is a saint reborn,
4)A kroot who's kindred was wiped out and wants to round up strays and eat living things (with possible inclination to become a shaper)
They are all done up using the 100 point system and most use into the storm in some way though, so not sure if that is going to fly?

Also, are we connecting the archtype/career to the rest of the character building options? Or are allowing any background as long as you can actually make it make sense?
Tanegar
I understand the purpose of the Origin Path system, but I don't like it, largely because it doesn't make sense. Savants never hail from Forge Worlds? Characters who are Chosen by Destiny are immune to the Hand of War? Perhaps the greatest wall banger of all, there's no such thing as a Rogue Trader motivated by Fortune?
Drace
That's the main reason why most players and gms allow any career to the path, even in the books there isn't any lines connecting career to the last option in the path.
Karoline
Yeah, the lack of a forge world savant seemed awfully odd to me, and overall I think hive world and forge world should simply be switched around. Maybe it is just me, but seeing as the scale seems to be from 'least refined' to 'most refined' or 'worst lot in life' to 'best lot in life' I can't help but think that being from a forge world seems better than being from a hive world (Excepting of course those in the higher levels of the spires). I mean the description of Forge worlds didn't sound all that different from SR wageslaves, and the description of Hiveworlds didn't sound all that different from an overpopulated SR Barrens.

So yeah, there are some oddities, but I think it works nicely overall, and it isn't a hard and fast thing. You can ask your GM for special consideration for a specific switch (I'm sure a forge world savant wouldn't be hard to swallow) and the GM can even allow some rows to be entire gimmies. Personally I don't see alot of reason behind the motivation being so closely tied to career. I mean is there some reason that an Arch-Militant can't be motivated by vengeance? And how many explorators, those searchers of lost knowledge and technology, are really going to be motivated by vengeance?

Like I said, some oddities but overall good. They did after all only have so many ways to match everything up, and there was an obvious intent to keep some things like astropaths and RTs rare by sticking them at the edge.
LurkerOutThere
Hello folks, i'm still working on the setup, my short intro fiction has become a longer background piece on the family you all will be involved in. It is my hope that the delay will be worth it.

Also a major disclaimer I am re-reading my books to get a better feel for the rules having skimped on them last time in favor of the fluff. So i won't always be able to concrete answer some questions

At this point however I feel like i have a good enough grasp to lay out to ground rules.

You may choose any career you wish and can reasonably justify through backstory and may make other origin path choices relatively freely as long as you can justify them to me. Please do not abuse this and give me solid characters rather then just the most heinous munchkin thing you can come up with. The goal is to be characters, not statblocks. /soapbox off.

We will be using the allocating points section on page 14. Any corruption or insanity gained from origins paths etc will need to be roled at the start of play.

We will be using Into the Storm and the options therin, with the exception of the options for Xenos characters, I just can't wrap my mind around them.

Renowned Warrant is allowed and due to backstory reasons anyone playing a rogue trader will get it for Free.

While I will provide more details as I finalize some of my plans I will let you guys know that you will have some opportunity to aquire gear after play starts but before you set out away from civilization. The campaign will open with you aquiring, or I should say re-aquiring a ship of your dynasty and preparing it for travel. As i've previously aluded to while it won't mechanically change anything you will be effectively the most junior branch of an established Rogue Trader enteprise, as such you will be somewhat directed by the leader of your family to undertake certain things as both a test of your abilities and for the good of your family. I intend to keep such commandments light and open, think of them less as NPC orders and more as prebuilt plot hooks.

Edit and addendum: As your ship is on loan to you from your dynasty I will be doing most of the designing on it as there are some things it needs to have from a story standpoint.
Karoline
What about mutations, either from taking the appropriate origin path or being a navigator? It could potentially have a fairly large effect on the character overall, and so doesn't seem appropriate to wait until play starts to roll them. I mean a character that his half demon or whatever is likely to have a slightly different outlook on life than one that is a bit tougher than normal, which might translate into going an entirely different career or a different path to get there.

Also, to take a bit of stock of who wants to play what:

Zyerne: Arch-Militant or Void Master
Tanegar: Explorator
Karoline: Virtually anything
Drace:RT, Navigator, or Missionary

Hmm, weird, I was under the impression that we had more than 4 people interested.
LurkerOutThere
My list thus far

Zyerne: Arch-Militant or Void Master
Tanegar: Explorator
Karoline: Virtually anything
Drace:RT, Navigator, or Missionary
PBTHHHHT
LurkerOutThere
I see your point if folks need to roll mutations or what have you please do so and just post here along with your character.
Tanegar
May I assume that the campaign will open with the PCs salvaging the Divine Inspiration and restoring her to voidworthiness? If so, I think that's my character's "in" with the Vorhees dynasty: he was sent by the Adeptus Mechanicus to oversee the restoration of the engines and other tech-devices aboard the Divine Inspiration, and after that to remain aboard and keep an eye out for archaeotechnology wherever the ship makes port.
Tanegar
Explorator-Adept Zacharias Hakkonen

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Statistics:
[ Spoiler ]

Edit: Forgot to pick my two implants, per p. 72, and spend my 500xp, per p. 30.
Drace
Got the Rogue trader here, working on the navigator's backstory incase someone else wants to play the RT:

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Origin Path
[ Spoiler ]

Stats
[ Spoiler ]

Karoline
QUOTE (Drace @ Dec 31 2010, 09:17 PM) *
Got the Rogue trader here, working on the navigator's backstory incase someone else wants to play the RT:

I think you're the only one who has expressed any real interest in playing the RT, and I think the RT might be the single most required character in a group.

I just posted an Astropath in the OOC thread. Later I'll work on a Navigator and will almost certainly go with one of those, as I'm not exactly sure how important it is to have a Navigator PC as opposed to NPC.
Zyerne
RT was third on my list after Arch-Militant and Voidmaster. Still not sure which of those I'll go for, the concept I have works for both.

Looks like we'll be lacking a good melee fighter
Karoline
Well, with my exceedingly limited knowledge of both the rules and the setting in general, I figure the most important PCs to have would be:
Rogue Trader - She is the one that is basically in charge, and if an NPC is in charge... makes for a bit of an odd game. Also one of the most personable types in a game that seems to rely quite a bit on being civil.
Void Master - While you could maybe get by with an NPC pilot for day to day things, you're really going to want the extra skill of a PC when stuff really hits the fan.

The others seem to have varying degrees of usefulness and importance. I like them, but Missionaries seem to be one of the least useful to the operation of the group as a whole. Decent in combat, but you can field small armies, so that isn't always so important. Same goes for Arch-Militants. Excellent in combat, but you could just hire a dozen guards to get fairly similar effects.

Navigators and Explorators both seems to have a 'can be really handy when needed' thing going for them with navigation and repair work and such, and both can be quite impressive in combat either through the third eye or augmentation, but once again, that is what grunts are for.

Astropaths on the ship mainly function as communications, and can easily be NPCed out, though like the Navigator, can be potentially fearsome in combat. Can also be quite handy in social/similar situations with things like mind reading and such.

Sensechels seem to have a rather strong overlap with RTs (And this might be part of why I'm having trouble making an RT, keeps coming out looking like my Sensechel).

So, just my little take on the matter. I don't mean to offend anyone's favorite Career or anything, and indeed I slandered several of my favorites and praised my personal least favorites, but that's just my rough view on it. I suppose having so few required things is good, because it gives people alot of freedom to play what they want without feeling they need to have 'tank, healer, DPS' like so many other RPGs.

Also for all the combat things, I suppose there are times when combat without your personal guard will happen, just like you will occasionally get caught without your best weapons and/or armor in SR from time to time, like when getting blindsided at a social setting.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 31 2010, 01:21 PM) *
May I assume that the campaign will open with the PCs salvaging the Divine Inspiration and restoring her to voidworthiness? If so, I think that's my character's "in" with the Vorhees dynasty: he was sent by the Adeptus Mechanicus to oversee the restoration of the engines and other tech-devices aboard the Divine Inspiration, and after that to remain aboard and keep an eye out for archaeotechnology wherever the ship makes port.

A very astute guess, and will be an excellent hook.
PBTHHHHT
Ah, just noticed the recent posts on this thread and stuff today. Was out of town and busy with the holidays, time to start posting on the other threads and make a character.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012