Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Denver Missions Team 2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
J. Packer
[[Monday, April 4th, 2072 | 4:30pm | Denim nightclub basement]]

You open the door to the room, the first door on the left, and open it onto a room that looks like a medicine lodge. The floor is covered in what appear to be authentic animal skins. There are several cushions placed around a firepit in the center of the room, where a small brazier burns. The room is smoky and fragrant, and a metal chimney set above the brazier does it's fitful best to remove the smoke from the room, but leaves a haze of warm smoke regardless.

Directly across from the door, behind the brazier, is a man wearing a charcoal gray business suit, and incongruously, a full face Hopi mask emblazoned with a stylized raven. He silently gestures at you to enter and take a seat. As you enter the room, he remains totally silent.
klinktastic
[Monday April 4th, 2072 | 4:30pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]
Riot: PAN = passive | Fake SiN = Jim Smith

Noticing a few footsteps coming down the stairs, Riot entered the sweat lodge-like room, surveying the room. Nodding at the Johnson, as he indicated for Riot to take a seat. Taking a seat on the cushion, he waited. Obviously more people were coming, since there were a few more spots around the brazier. Placing his biker's helmet on the floor beside himself, he waited, thinking. Hmmm, who might this Johnson be working for? He's calling in a marker of the Ironsiders for help on this....project. Must represent a pretty powerful group to have markers with the Ironsiders.

Upon entering the room, Riot notices an amazing looking elven woman, on her knees with a half finished drink in her hand. Holy shit, that is one helluva joytoy if I've ever seen one!
Zyerne

Reaching the door and seeing what was inside, Wolf stopped abruptly when he realised what he was about to enter. How others treated this place was not his concern but he was a warrior of the Comanche and would act accordingly. Placing his bag down he gave the Raven-masked man a brief bow of the head acknowledging his status before addressing him in slow, careful Hopi.

"Wise one, a brave not of your tribe seeks entrance to your lodge."
J. Packer

Caught off-guard, the man in the suit chuckles, the sound echoing inside his mask. His voice is that of an older man, but still strong.

"Um-pi-tah. Be welcome as if you were my tribe and my family," he replies, and gestures to a cushion next to him.
klinktastic

Just as Riot had settled down, a fellow Ork paused at the door and muttered some gibberish to the Johnson. Analyzing the Ork, Riot noted the physical prowless and that he guy had a native american flare to him. The Ork looked like a decent threat. The Johnson replied to the Ork and Riot looked to make "eye" contact with the newcomer and noted solomnly to him. "Eye" contact was a realitive term with one who had a Cyber Eyeband.
Zyerne

Wolf bowed his head again then retrieving his bag, headed across the room to the indicated cushion. As he went, his gaze flicked across to the other Ork, a look of mild revulsion on his face as he caught sight of the eyeband. Whilst somewhat more pro-cyber than many of his tribe, that sort of disfigurement was still unthinkable. He managed a brief nod in Riot's direction before looking away.

Placing his bag behind him, he took a seat on the cushion with practiced ease, his familiarity with the setting obvious. As he did so, the light from the firepit danced across his face, highlighting the tattoos that clearly marked him as Comanche to any that would recognise them.
BlackHat
PAN = passive | Fake SIN = Cody Demasi

Cody took a moment, at the door, to collect himself before entering. He didn't really know what to expect, but the trids had given him a lot of scenarios to brace himself for - mafia guys sitting around a dimly-lit poker table, yakuza holding swords in one hand and guns in the other, or any number of other ethnic or gangland crime syndicates getting ready for some drek to go down.... His cool was kept mainly by the fact that he had been told that whoever was running the show was specifically looking for "new blood", but that didn't mean that whoever was waiting on the other side wasn't an ice-cold pro in whatever sprawl they fled here from, and Cody was expecting to have to do some smooth talking to keep from looking like the cold fish. He took another sip of his drink, and eased the door open, quietly, and stepped inside.

He was a bit taken back by the interior, but he was getting used to just about everything in Denver having that "cowboys-and-Indians" theme. This was something else, though, and he did a good job of not letting his surprise show. The room wasn't as occupied as he had expected, either. He was right about to apologize and back out of the room, when the man in the raven mask nodded and gestured for him to take a seat. Fair enough, then, he thought, and smiled at the others as he closed the door behind him, and sat on one of the cushions, in a relaxed way that made him seem very comfortable with the situation.

Cody was remarkably unremarkable at first glance - average height for a human, average build, even his haircut and style of loose-fitting casual clothing was so common they could have been clipped right out of advert spam, and dropped into any number of scenes and not look entirely out of place. He also didn't seem well armed or armored, and (other than whatever might fit in the pockets of his jacket or pants) had brought nothing with him but the drink in his hand. In fact, if it wasn't for the air of confidence and the fact that the Johnson seemed to recognize him, it might have seemed as though some random guy from the club had wandered into the wrong room, after using the bathroom.
klinktastic

The next entrant to the sweat lodge was a fairly bland looking human. The man maintained a composed face, despite the somewhat odd situation. Not as physically impressive as the tribal Ork, Riot felt an odd reason to respect the man. He moved with confidence, which most wageslave and other schlubs don't have.
BlackHat

Cody seemed to be devoting more of his attention to the two orks, and the elf, than the man in the raven mask. One of the orks looked like a biker, and looked pretty tough. The other, slightly bigger, fit right in with the decor, and looked all tribal. They both looked like they could beat the drek out of Cody, but that wasn't saying a whole lot and, luckily, neither of them looked like they planned to. They also both seemed to have come a bit more prepared than he did. They both had bags or kits on the floor near them, and, well, they had been more punctual than Cody had been - despite the fact that he thought he was a little bit early. The elven woman looked bored, and was dressed in expensive stylish clothing. "So..." he said, tentatively breaking the silence, "anyone up for a game of cards, while we wait?" His grin suggested he was kidding, but the deck of playing cards, which he had somehow produced in the hand that wasn't occupied by his drink, suggested otherwise.
klinktastic

The unfortunate side-effect of having your eyes replace by a Cyberband system is that it makes it pretty hard to give that quizzical, raised eyebrow look when someone does something awkward. Stupid Cyberband, should have thought that replacement out a little more clearly, he thought to himself. Despite the failed raised eyebrow attempt, he just shook his head, slowly, in a gesture in the negatory.
Kim
[Monday April 4th, 2072 | 4:07pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]
Kim: PAN = passive | Fake SiN = Angel Snow

Angel walks clockwise around the fire towards the mask and puts her hand forward:
“Nice to meet you Mr. Johnson, I’m Angel.”

She kicks off her shoes behind the nearest cushion, drops her coat and sits down on her knees. The long drink, she has in her hand, is carefully placed on the floor to her right. When the man keeps quiet it dawns on her that he’s waiting for someone else. At the time others arrive her glass is empty and she looks bored.

With her brown, almond shaped eyes and pointy ears Angel looks unmistakably like an elf. Her lank pitch black hair is bound in a ponytail which falls half way down her back. She wears a short black jingle dress over black pants. The red coppery tinted skin on her feet, arms and face add to her Native American look.
BlackHat

Cody shrugged when the cyclopian ork turned down the offer but glanced at the others, to see if anyone seemed interested. His gaze settled on the bored-looking elf who had already finished her drink. He smiled, and held up the playing cards, expectantly.
SleepIncarnate
[[Monday, April 4th, 2072 | 4:30pm | Denim nightclub basement]]
Doc Opheliac | Pan = Passive | SIN = Ophelia Smokehaven

Hearing the voices as she comes down the stairs, Doctor Opheliac follows the rest of the way to the door before pushing it open. Looking inside, she paused a moment as memories of her childhood and visiting her extended family rushed back to her. While she stood there remembering for a moment, those within got a glance at what looked like an old Victorian English style doctor standing before them... long black coat, top hat, dark glasses, holding a large black bag similar to that which has been carried back then. This image however was contrasted by the fact that this woman was only about a meter tall, and while obviously not a specimen of amazing physique, neither was the figure frail. Then after a moment she began to move, removing her hat, glasses, and coat, revealing that the figure was an amerind woman, raven black hair running down to about the middle of her back, and chestnut colored eyes peering out behind her bangs. The clothing she wore under the coat appeared to be a dark green turtleneck and black pants, with some kind of black boots as well.

Turning to the Johnson, she spoke to him, doing her best to remember her Sioux. "I greet you shaman, I come bringing medicine to cure what ails you." She then nodded to the others and stepped inside the room, shutting the door behind her. She then moved to a cushion that was left vacant, setting her belongings down, then siting cross legged on it, looking over the others. Interesting... she thought, not as mixed of a group as I would expect. Three of us are natives, though I guess the only thing we're missing is a troll before making us some kind of pre-meta poster group. The human seems very out of place though, with that shit eating grin on his face and deck of cards. Mental note, charge him double when he ends up needing my help.
BlackHat
[Monday April 4th, 2072 | 4:31pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

Now that the seats were all taken, Cody figured they wouldn't be waiting much longer, and gave up on the cards. As the small woman took her place on one of the cushions, and most of the attention in the room was on her, he took the opportunity to slip them back into his jacket, as he took another drink from his glass. He was somewhat confused when she began talking to the Shaman in what he could only assume was the local Amerind tongue, but tried not to let it show. The other guests didn't seem as new to the area as he had expected, but he wasn't going to worry about it too much. It actually made him feel a little better about the job. He had been worried that "new-blood" was a Shadow euphemism for "expendable" during the whole ride over to the bar and, honestly, the only person who was going to notice if he disappeared was the guy who had sent him here. When the newcomer took stock of the rest of the team and her gaze passed over Cody, he nodded politely in her direction but got the impression that something about him was already rubbing her the wrong way, so he quickly turned his attention to the man in the raven mask, who he assumed would be getting down to business, soon.
J. Packer

With the arrival of the doctor, the man in the mask begins the meeting.

"Thank you all for coming, and so punctually."

He waits for the cards to be put away and attention to be focused on him before he continues. He speaks in the voice of an older man, though it echoes inside the ceremonial mask.

"As you likely suspect, my name is Mr. Johnson, and I appreciate your coming on such short notice. I have need of a very secure courier service to deliver a package to a friend. Unfortunately, I suspect that there might be elements out there that would prefer to intercept this package, rather than see it safely delivered. The distance it needs to be transported is not far, within the Front Range Free Zone, though the destination is, regrettably, in the UCAS sector." He glances down at his comm before continuing.

"Another concern is that absolutely must be delivered by 7:00pm tonight. That leaves a few minutes less than two and a half hours."

He looks up at each of you in turn and then prompts, "Questions?"
SleepIncarnate
[Monday, April 4th, 2072 | 4:31pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

"Where are we expected to take it? What are the known dangers? How much are you offering?"
klinktastic

Listening to the small female, Riot nodded along. Her questions were valid, though asked crassly. "Additionally, I take it you expect all of us to work together to accomplish this task?" nodding in turn to each of the 4 other individuals in the room.
Kim

Angel would have been tempted to play with the human, if she didn't think it would be ridiculously inappropriate. She's surprised at how many people come in before the meeting starts and (since she didn't understand what was said upon entering by some) happy that everyone seems to understand English.

Questions...Questions? she thinks, Yeah, here's one... Why the hell couldn't you talk to me for half an hour! For @#$% sake, delivering a package, I could have been done by now. Is this the favor Suzuki was asking me, or was it the package itself?

"Could you specify the elements out there that might prefer to intercept said package?"
BlackHat

Cody leaned back, took in the atmosphere as some of the others raised some questions about the job. The one that interested him the most were the questions about opposition and payment, but the job sounded straight forward enough, and it was only going to eat up a few hours of his time, one way or the other. He'd do it as a favor for Kim, if the Johnson hadn't mentioned that he expected somebody out there to try to intercept them along the way. Depending on what the 'package' turned out to be, the actual border crossing could be a problem, he supposed, but Cody had very limited experience with crossing between sections of the city. He decided to give the Johnson a chance to answer some of the questions that were already out there, and see how that changed his opinion of the job before adding any questions of his own.
J. Packer
[Monday April 4th, 2072 | 4:35pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

He briefly considers your questions. "While I am sure that any one of you could make a simple delivery, it was decided that a team had a better chance of success. That said, the team needed to be made up of neutral parties, who would not have any ties to either myself or the destination of the delivery. That destination is the Montbello neighborhood, in the UCAS sector of Denver."

He turns to Kim before continuing. "There are any number of organizations that would be interested in seeing the contents of the package, or at the very least in stopping their delivery. I can't be any more specific until such time as the job has been accepted - for security reasons, you know."

Speaking now to the whole group, he offers "Because of the urgent nature of the delivery, and the necessity of brining you all together who have, prior to this, not known or worked together, I am allowed to be generous in the way of compensation."

He pulls five standard credsticks out of an inside pocket, thin nondescript gray tubes. "The pay offered for each of you is 1500 in advance. And another 1500 upon successful delivery. So, are you interested?"
klinktastic

Woah! 3k nuyen.gif for this? That's nearly rent for 2 months! Shit I could mod up my bike, or my new Dalmatian. Shit! I thought I was going to be doing this for free, for this marker, he thought. "I'm in...sir. I mean obviously, for the favor owed by the Ironsiders," Riot replied, struggling to try and sound 'professional'.
BlackHat

His ears perked at the word 'generous', and Cody brightened when the compensation was explained. Three thousand was a lot more than he expected to be offered for a few hours of work. His first reaction was that this probably meant the Johnson either had his back to the wall, or that he knew something he wasn't going to tell them, that might make them change their minds if there wasn't so much money on the table. "Very interested," he added, then looked back at the Johnson, "but could you give us a hint about the size of the package? Are we talking about something that fits in a pocket, briefcase, suitcase...." As he spoke, he motioned with his hands, making a progressively larger gap between them. "... the trunk of a car, or.. something else?" Cody didn't have a car, but if it was anything smaller, he was fairly sure he could sneak it past just about anyone. "Oh, and should we be worried about sensors picking it up at the border, or do we just need to keep it out of sight, and out of mind?"
SleepIncarnate
[Monday, April 4th, 2072 | 4:31pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

"3k each for a couple hours work? If you're being that generous up front, and needing a full team, there must be some major issues with this job. That and the delivery of the package must be very important for you. After all, we all know you're looking to make a profit from this, and are likely trying to pay us just enough to interest us but still keeping a sufficient bubble of money in case we want more. What do you say to making that 1500 in advance and 2000 after successful completion of the job? I'd also like to know more about the size of this package."
Kim

Kim thought she was going to do some favor, but it turns out she got hers. 15k to deliver a package sounds exciting, but she decides to wait and see what the others think. Just to have an excuse not to answer right away she starts playing with her comm; checking how far and what kind of neighborhood Montbello is.
Zyerne

Three grand was more than Wolf generally made in a month, sometimes 2 months and a lot more than he'd been expecting. Even if they never saw the rest of the payment, fifteen hundred would last him a good while.

He spoke first to the J, once more in Hopi. "I will undertake this task, on my honor as a Comanche." Turning to the rest of the team he spoke two words in English. "I'm in.
J. Packer
[Monday April 4th, 2072 | 4:40pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

"The offer may seem generous, but it is not simply getting to the UCAS and handing it off, or I would have one of my own do that."

He pulls out a standard sized manilla envelope, maybe twelve inches high, and nine wide, and not much thicker than if it had been empty. Emblazoned across one side it said CONFIDENTIAL in red letters, and the seal was ostentatiously labeled as "tamper-proof" complete with diagonal red stripes.

"This envelope contains a hardcopy letter from the Koshari leadership council. It must be delivered to 4923 Billings Street, in the Montbello district, up in the UCAS."

He hands the letter to Kim on his immediate right and lets you inspect it briefly before continuing.

"What's the old phrase, from back when we actually sent letters? 'Do not bend, spindle, fold or mutilate,' I believe was how it went." For the first time, you begin to hear a sort of gently mocking humor in the man's voice. "You may disguise that parcel in any way that does not compromise it - zip it up inside a jacket, put it in a satchel, whatever."

"Several organizations, both governmental and less formal private concerns might objects to the contents of this package. Their reasons are varied, but the interest level is sure to be high. The intended delivery has not remained a secret - thus our need for skilled couriers. Especially ones like yourselves, who are neutral parties, not beholden to either the Koshari or to those to whom it is to be delivered."

He watches as you each take a turn holding and examining the enveope.

"The time of day we chose for the meet was deliberate. Rush hour is starting, and the security procedures are more lax than under normal conditions. On the other hand, I have contact information for a pair of coyotes who would help you to cross the borders by unofficial channels, and who owe the Koshari a favor, if you are interested in that information. You have just over two hours to make the delivery. As this was laid on with some haste, please let me know if there are other ways in which I can be of assistance to the operation."
klinktastic
[Monday April 4th, 2072 | 4:41pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

Realizing that time is of the essense, and that Cram would last longer than the time limit, Riot toggles his autoinjector to give him a dose of Cram. The rush of the drug through his veins made him feel alert and slightly more focused. Ah, much better. Sliding the AR display of his autoinjector away, he pulled a browser menu to figure out 3 things: Who are the Koshari, Who's turf is the Montbello District, and what was the most expedent way to get there?

While he manipulated various interfaces in the Matrix he said, "I'm called Riot. Looks like we'll be working together." He continued, looking at no one in particular, or well at least that none of you can notice since he's got a cyber eyeband system. "Anyone have wheels enough for all of us? I only brought my bike."
Zyerne

"What tribe are your coyotes?" Wolf asked after he'd finished examining the envelope. He was inclined to at least speak to them even if they decided not to use their services.
J. Packer
[Monday April 4th, 2072 | 4:42pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

While Riot runs begins working in AR, Johnson answers Wolf's question.

"They are not of your tribe or mine, or any other that I am aware of. I think one might call them 'free contractors' honestly."
klinktastic

Hmm, seems like the Koshari and Chavez Family have some diplomatic situation and are using us as independent messagers, he thought to himself, tucking away his AR screens and focusing back on the group. "Uhh, sir. Would you mind if we acquanted ourselves and were able to come up with a quick game plan in the room here? Also, you can send the contact information for the coyotes to my commlink. Not sure if we'll use them, but better to have them than to not."
J. Packer

"By all means, you may stay as long as you need," he says, but makes no move to depart, simply sending comm IDs for the two couriers, Striker and Peaches to each of you.
BlackHat

Cody handled the envelope delicately, but seemed pleased. It was about the size of a piece of electronic paper, and although being unable to bend or fold the thing limited his options, he could still think of a half-a-dozen ways to stash the thing where a casual observer would be unlikely to spot it. He seemed to realize he had been holding into it for longer than everyone else, and continued passing it along the circle so everyone could take a look. "Tell me, Mr. Johnson, would you happen to have any spare envelopes that match this one?" He took another sip of his drink, but he expected some additional discussion, and was in no hurry to finish off what was left. "I was thinking, it might be useful for us to create a few decoys, and if anyone can match the stationary at short notice, it would be you."
Kim

Having decided it just doesn’t make sense for the opposition to know the package is here (since she could walk right in), she’s able to focus on the meeting again. Kim wonders if the man took her silence as an acceptance and just ignored the questions, or would he be happy with just 3 taking the job for the money offered?

She takes the envelope and weighs it in her hand. Yep, I can carry this she thinks, and passes it through.

Hmm, neutral parties … that explain why they can’t know I’m not. What did the orc say again..I’m in for the favor owed by the ironsiders…doesn’t sound very neutral to me...unless our need for skilled couriers doesn’t mean he’s part of the Koshari. There was something else that didn’t make sense to Kim. I would have one of my own do that and needing a courier not beholden to the Koshari.

Oh my god, I’m so slow today… must be that drink. He just means that if the couriers are not connected to either party they’re less likely to be intercepted. I better keep quiet, before I say something stupid.
klinktastic

A captain of many semi-pro Combat Biker teams, he sensed a lack of visible leadership in the random collection of individual. Feeling a compulsion to take command, he spoke loudly to the group at large, "May I have your attention please." Pausing to garner attention, he continued. "We don't have that much time. We need to make some decisions. I've some experience moving good between borders, so here are our options. Since it's rush hour, we won't catch a hard look from the border guards. We can head through the traditional borders as long as no one is concealing anything illegal. The package seems fine, so we can bring that through. Alternatively, we can use these coyotes. These guys specialize in getting things between borders that can't ordinarily make it through the crossings. Second thing, my only mode of transportation at the moment is my bike. Public trans is out, since we won't make it in time. If no one has a large vehicle, I can potentially steal one. But I'd rather not draw heat on us this early, especially if we're expecting a little trouble. My vote is on the coyotes, less hassle that way. Thoughts?"

(see OOC thread for leadership roll)
SleepIncarnate
[Monday, April 4th, 2072 | 4:40pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

As the envelope comes around to her, she reaches into her bag and pulls out a small, handheld scanner, running it along the length of the envelope, checking for the telltale signals coming from a RFID or anything else sending off signals, wondering if the package will be broadcasting itself to any interested parties.
BlackHat

At first, Cody didn't seem to be listening when Riot started talking, but he by the time he got to the part about having some experience smuggling goods, he had Cody's full attention. He wasn't sure he agreed with the plan that Riot was putting together, but he appreciated that somebody who knew what they were doing was stepping up to take charge. If it were left up to him, he'd end up winging it - probably using everyone else as distractions - and the whole thing would probably go to Hell, fast. He didn't even know what a coyote was, come to think of it. Well, he knew the animal, but he doubted that was what the Johnson meant. Maybe it was a couple of coyote-shamans or something. Going with Riot's plan was looking better and better by the second.

When Riot asked for thoughts, Cody decided it was time to be a team player. "Well, I don't have a lot of experience as a smuggler - so maybe you guys can clarify a few things for me...." He paused for a second, then continued. "If I am reading the situation right, we've basically got nothing to hide, and we're not even being asked to smuggle anything, since the package we're being asked to deliver isn't even contraband. However, border-patrol may insist on peeking inside, and we can't allow that, so we're probably going to treat it as contraband - but assuming we can keep it out of sight, we shouldn't have any trouble, since security will be light and it shouldn't show up on any scanners."

He paused for a second before continuing, "Like you said, the reason we would want to use unofficial channels is so that we could bring along our own illegal gear, which might be a good idea, since we know other people are going to be trying to get their hands on this package, and they'll probably come well equipped. Is that about the gist of it?" After receiving some confirmation he shrugged, "I can live with that. Personally, I'd just play this one straight, but I travel pretty light."

"I've got a couple of other ideas, we can consider - but I don't really expect them to be everyone's cup of tea... so my feelings won't be hurt if you guys decide not to risk it, ya know? Basically, I figure if these other guys are going to be a problem for us in the next two hours, it'll be because they know more about our plans than we know about theirs. My tac would be to level the playing field a bit with a little misdirection." He smirked, and looked around to see if anyone seemed receptive to the idea, before going into details.
Zyerne

Wolf looked up from where he'd been unpacking his kitbag and laying the contents out on the floor. "If people want to stop us, border checkpoints easy to watch. Coyotes may have transportation or can make call, try someone else."
J. Packer

"I suspect that one of my employees could find another similar envelope and help to dummy it up as a duplicate of the original, though the documents inside might present a problem."

He looks to Wolf and says "If transportation is an issue, there's a van around back that could be made available to you for the duration of the operation. It's a nondescript passenger van, that would easily accommodate the five of you."

Dr. Ophelia runs her scanner over the device and finds no trace of any sort of tracking or RFID tagging. It does appear to be nothing more than a few pieces of paper inside an envelope after all.
klinktastic
[Monday April 4th, 2072 | 4:43pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

To the Johnson, Riot says, "I'll take the keys to the van if you're offering it up!" Switching his attention to the tall human, "What kind of misdirection? If you suggest we split up, I think that's unwise. We'll have a better chance to make it past any obstacles if we work together. Teamwork, you know what I'm saying?" Pausing to address the crowd, "I'm contacting the coyote now, he's going to need some lead time to get ready." With that, he send a message to PCC to CAS coyote, asking where can he meet us ASAP.
Kim

What the hell? Who made this orc leader? Considering stealing a car to cross the border when the government will be looking for us? The human made a lot more sense. If I don’t say something now, we could end up doing exactly what the opposition expects.

“Hold that call… please?” Kim says, “I don’t know this coyote and I’m not sure how big a reward the opposition can offer him. Considering we’re getting 15k to deliver this envelope I’d be a bit reluctant to believe it’s not enough for him to sell us out. If we had no other choice than to trust him I’d go for it, but I’ve crossed borders many times and never had any trouble. I think we should head north and cross Commerce City. We could let someone cross the border with the decoy first and see what happens. My guess would be nothing, but at least we can try a plan B if it fails.”
SleepIncarnate
[Monday, April 4th, 2072 | 4:43pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

Passing the envelope along, she looked up and finally chipped in.

"Working with the coyotes means we'll have to pay them and hope they aren't being playing both sides. Likewise, the envelope isn't broadcasting any kind of signal, no RFID at all in it, so we should be able to keep it relatively well hidden and not have to worry about scans. The nice gentleman here is offering us the use of a van, and so long as it's not hot, I think that's our best course of transportation, doing this on our own. We all managed to get here fine on our own, and we should have no problems crossing the border. We could throw the envelope in a bag and not worry about it being checked, unless it's marked in some way we haven't thought of that might show to some sort of scanners...."

As she says this last part, she looks to the Johnson again for details.
J. Packer

"No, it's not marked or anything of the sort. Standard envelope, and a simple letter inside. It should not give off any sort of signal. And the van is owned by this business, in fact, so the licenses are entirely legal and it is not on any stolen vehicle lists. It's a simple delivery van, two seats up front and plenty of room in the back for three others." He seems entirely amused by your caution in the dealings thus far, humor never far away in his voice.

He addresses Dr. Opheliac next. "And I think you misunderstood me when I mentioned the coyotes. Their services, if you choose to use them, will be subsidized entirely by the Koshari. As I said, they owe us a favor. And you are all young and lean, and it would be unkind of me to try to reduce your already thin profit margins."
klinktastic
[Monday April 4th, 2072 | 4:44pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

Glaring at the elven female, "You're obviously not experienced in these matters. I agree with that guy," Riot said, point to the other Ork. "We'll be sitting ducks waiting in line at this time of day. They won't even need to do a "drive-by"," he said using air quote around the word. "They'll be able to walk right up to us. The coyotes are free and safe. They won't sell us out. A snitch will lose all his business, and they get paid a tidy sum to do what they do. No way they're risking it."

"Regardless, we're burning time we don't have. Unless we can get a duplicate envelope in less than 5 minutes, we need to abandon that plan, we just don't have the time. If so we can wait, if not, let's head out and continue planning while we get to the van," he finished, with a 'you don't understand the gravity of the situation' look on his face.
SleepIncarnate

"Which raises another issue. If the van is legal and belongs to the company, does that then leave a possible trail back to you? I was under the impression that that was the specific reason you were hiring us, so that no trail leads back here."
Zyerne
[Monday, April 4th, 2072 | 4:45pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

Wolf shook his head in disgust then nodded in the J's direction. "Would not recommend Coyotes did not trust. If betray us, I kill." Grabbing his camo suit, he stalked out of the lodge. "I change, you finish argue."
BlackHat

Cody actually was going to suggest splitting up the team as part of his plan, but after tempers seem to flair, he decides against it. "Look, if we don't have time to grab a matching envelope," he looks at the Johnson for confirmation, "then forget it - but it would definitely be to our advantage to have a decoy, if we can get one. I'm not worried about keeping the envelope out of sight - that'll be a piece of cake. I do agree that if the van is registered to this business, it would be an easy way for our opposition to figure out that we've taken the job and to pick us out of a crowd... but even if we call the coyotes, we're going to need our own wheels on the other side, and that van seems like our only option, if we're rushing it."

"As far as misdirection, that is my specialty, but if you want to play it safe and stick together, I can roll with that. It just seems like, if we assume these groups even have a way to know we're on the job, then sticking together makes the rest of their job really easy. We might be stronger when they make their move, but so will they, if we don't give them any reason to hesitate." He shrugs, and gestures towards Riot. "Don't get me wrong, you seem to know what you're doing. I just think that means we'll end up doing exactly what they would expect us to do. I would rather do something completely unexpected to throw them off, and buy us some time - since we won't need a lot." He then finishes the last of his drink, since it looked like they would be heading out soon - plus the ice had mostly melted and it was getting watered down.
J. Packer

When the provenance of the van is mentioned, Johnson responds, "While the van belongs to the club, the club does not, technically, belong to the Koshari. It is a small risk, I suppose, that they are aware of our use of this facility, but there are no direct links."
klinktastic
[Monday April 4th, 2072 | 4:45pm | Denim Nightclub Basement]

"Alright, the van's fine, we have no choice but to take it anyway. 15 minutes is too long to wait for a duplicate envelope. It's a nice to have, but not a necessity. Again, I'm Riot, here's my commcode in case we get separated. I'm a good wheelman, so I'll drive. If you would all be so kindly as to give me something to call you, your commcode, and at least a vague idea of what you're skill sets are. Once I know what kind of skills we're working with, I can formulate a game plan...so we can discuss that into oblivion as well," he said, turning to the door to leave. He quickly whirls back around. "Oh yeah, here we go." Riot snags the credit stick and heads out saying, "Thanks!".

Remembering that the Native American Ork went to the bathroom to change, Riot cracks the door open and shouts in, "We're headed up. Meet at the van in the back of the bar when you're set."
J. Packer

Johnson tosses you a credstick from the table in front of him, and you catch it midair.
BlackHat

Standing up to follow Riot, Cody nods respectfully to the raven-masked man, and casually picks up one of the credsticks. "I guess that's that, then," he muses, to no one in particular, and finishes drinking up the last of the melted ice, crunching on a few bits that remain, before reaching for the envelope with the hand that just a second ago was holding his credstick. "I'll keep an eye on this, unless anyone objects."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012