Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For Fun and Profit: Issues 1-?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
sabs
I think that we need to put together a list of the different "Issues" so that we can talk about when we're going to try and accomplish which parts.

1. Amazonia vs Aztlan. Don't have a good working title for it. The Search for El Dorado, When Dragons go to War?
2. Rumble in the Jungle (SE Asia see for details: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=51934&...c&start=75)
3. The WWE (World Warfare Entertainment) Monday night RAW! (Desert Wars, Rad Wars, Gamer, Survivor!, Basically Corporate sponsored Warfare for entertainment of the masses)
4. In the Navy!/7 Seas (This is the Naval Warfare/Piracy issue.) Pirates on the High Seas, Waterworld, Carib League, Gold Coast, Corporate Fleets, etc.. JIS/PPG Trade War, Hawai'i

It sounds that there's enough interest to do:
5. Land War in Asia. The Chinese 5 Kingdoms war, Nepal/Tibet, India/Pakistan/Kashmir/Afghanistan, Mongolia, Korea, JIS

The order of 1 and 2 are set, but 3/4/5 could really go in any order, depending on what we wanted to do next.

A couple more possibilities that don't seem to have as much enthusiasm.
6. You say Jihad, I say Crusade. Israel, The various new Caliphates.. War in the Middle East.
7. In Mother Russia, War makes you! Russia/Yakut/Baikal.. Basically War in Siberia. Might Roll this into Land War in Asia. Unless people have some good thoughts.

Optimistically I see
Issue 1: Ready in Spring 2011
Issue 2: Ready end of Summer 2011
Issue 3: Early Winter 2011
Issue 4: early Spring 2012

And there's some talk of thinking about Alt.Spy.. (The Man from C.O.R.P) which depending on whose doing the writings.. will alter releases quite a bit.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, interest in what order we do stuff?

hermit
1 and 2 are written by different people - frank and megu so far - and can maybe even be prepared alongside, with 2 taking a bit longer due to less manpower thrown at it.

3 should be separate, and ought to include stuff from the relevant FoF article, or at least allusions to it, too. This might also tie in with attitude, depending on whether they are past grade school things like grammar at CGL by then and move on to more advanced writing skills like research.

4 is more distant really, and in rough planning stages.

5 and 6 could also be featured in alt.Spygames (or rather, add.Spygames, sicnce we try to retcon as little as possible, much as it is painful, but we want to provide all players with useful information), or we do double features covering spy stuff and war stuff.
Doc Chase
Given the, er...rabid nature of World Wrestling Entertainment's legal department, I strongly suggest anything even remotely tangenetal to their franchise names be changed so we don't have to deal with them.

Paranoia, hard at work. nyahnyah.gif

As for the first issue, I have this giddy feeling about understating the entire matter. What if we just called it:

A Difference of Opinion? nyahnyah.gif
sabs
You're right. Their legal department is rather vicious.

Just wanted to give an easy for everyone to get visual of what the book is about.
Honestly, I want to stay away from anything that highlights "we hate War!" And more focus on.. "fan written Expanded setting books."

So we need 2 names now smile.gif
1 for Issue 1, and one for issue 3.

Doc Chase
If Issue 3 is going to involve the entertainment aspect, we can go a few directions:

War Games
Fabulous Prizes!
Bread and Circuses

Those three readily spring to mind. Still noodling Issue #1, as I see A Difference of Opinion might have a bit more needling in the meta context than we really want. nyahnyah.gif
sabs
Circus Matrixus!
War Games!

Big Money! Big Prizes! (From the guy in Running Man)
Call of Duty: 2072 (though again, their legal department is a bitch)
Doc Chase
Big Money! Big Prizes! is a fantastic way to take it, I think.

Fabulous Prizes! came from Smash TV, which was essentially Running Man in video game format.

Abschalten
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jan 3 2011, 12:37 PM) *
Fabulous Prizes! came from Smash TV, which was essentially Running Man in video game format.

And one of my all-time favorite games. smile.gif
sabs
You don't like "When Dragons go to War" smile.gif
Doc Chase
It doesn't have that hipster-ironic 'pop' to me. If the conflict was farther north, I'd be salivating over calling it Acapulco Heat.

Maybe Sangre y Acero, Everybody Pays, or Feliz Navidad?
sabs
Feliz Navidad is pretty funny.

If it was Africa, I'd say.. "The African Queen"
Sangre y Oro
Sangre y Petroelo

Doc Chase
Dark Continent might work for Africa as well.
Brazilian_Shinobi
For the Am-Azt war: 'When Dragons collide'?

For entertainment war: 'Live from ruined Lybia, it's Desert Wars night!!!!'
hermit
The Dark Continent works well for Africa.

Issue 1: The Heart Of Darkness (The Congo territorries. WILD SHIT.)
Issue 2: The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Ethnomalia, south sudan, and the Sahel belt. More wild stuff, but with islamists and caravans.
Issue 3: ? (Something on the Maghreb)
Issue 4: ? (An update to the Azania setting, like an explanation why the HELL they conquered Namibia)
sabs
Slow down Tex smile.gif

Unless you want to do a whole series on Africa. I think 1 Africa issue to cover everything should be plenty.

Though that one is definitely more of a setting book, then a War! book
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 4 2011, 02:14 PM) *
For the Am-Azt war: 'When Dragons collide'?

...I like it.

Carrying on with the Fabulous Prizes theme, how about The Prize is Not Fabulous?

War has it's downsides as well. You are done, you won, now what's next? The boys (and girls) come home expecting to take up normal lives, industry winds down, workers are laid off, and plants close. Meanwhile yu now have more people to deal with (who probably aren't very happy about you being their new landlord), most likely a damaged infrastructure to repair, and thus, an economic and social sinkhole to deal with...

...and then recession sets in.

-----

For those who have been following alt.war I have been entertaining the idea of working up the Balkans. While I have heard a bit more about the current scene in Europe I still feel the region could be a"land of opportunity" so to say for covert activity where the deployment of "deniable assets" could be useful. According to the few paragraphs in SoE the (then new) NEEC doesn't want to see any anyone there become too big for their knickers that they could pose a threat (read Muslim) to the rest of the community.

...in light of that...

Hermit, the more I think about what you said, it would make sense that the powers that be might be more interested in propping up rather than taking down the Kovec regime as like you mentioned, it would be a stable functioning government in the region. With Kovec's vision for the region (basically a new Yugoslav state), it could defuse a lot of the volatility and at the very least, make for a good buffer against any future ideas the Muslims have for "adventurism".

In RL we have seen that war can make for strange bedfellows sometimes. Witness the alliance during WWII of the Soviet Union with their ideological enemies, the Capitalistic US, and Imperialistic UK to deal with a much more immediate threat, Hitler's Reich. Never mind that Stalin's regime actively persecuted many of Russia's citizens, even members of the military, as well.

Unfortunately this would mean for my Rhapsody in Shadow storyline, little Leela Groznek (the main character) could never go home (Zagreb) again.
Inncubi
I'll participate on the title for Aztlan vs. Amazonia title. Avoid The El Dorado reference. That is mostly a tourist thing to sell.

Make it something in reference to cocaine. "White Gold", "War on Shrubs" (reference to the war on drugs, and the shrub cocaine grows in).

Coca leaves are a very important part of the culture of "indígenas" (local native americans). It was chewed and believed to be a gift form the gods. Its use as an industrial entertainment product is a very good metaphor of the 6th world dystopia and change from bucolic cultures being ravaged by "civilization". Amazonia's "back to nature" discourse can exploit that a lot.

One more thing, I'll make a revision of spanish names, unit names and stuff like that. Please don't use translators on the web. They look horrible to the native eye, and gives credence of them actually belonging to teh place they come from. ;D

warrior_allanon
stay away from Wargames, Tri Star's legal dept is a pain as well and they hold the movie rights to the movie by that name if memory serves

anyone know who i need to message about writing up missions for this?
Brazilian_Shinobi
This is just a fanmade project that went downhill. You can still find some of my drafts around though. Feel free to comment on anything, I still plan on extending the amount of text on my drafts, but life is keeping me busy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012