Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gurps Technomancer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
cleggster

I just been reading about GURPS Technomancer. Sound very SR'sh in style. The big difference seems to be that magic works well with technology. Even on an industrial level. I have heard some claims that the magic system is flavorless, though I have heard the same claim for SR. (personaly I think SR's magic system works well for SR)

I was wondering if anybody here ever checked it out? Any opinions?
Tzeentch
QUOTE (cleggster @ Jan 2 2011, 09:39 PM) *
I just been reading about GURPS Technomancer. Sound very SR'sh in style. The big difference seems to be that magic works well with technology. Even on an industrial level. I have heard some claims that the magic system is flavorless, though I have heard the same claim for SR. (personaly I think SR's magic system works well for SR)

I was wondering if anybody here ever checked it out? Any opinions?

-- GURPS Magic in general is not incompatible with technology (there are entire schools of magic that work directly with computers and electricity). Technomancer takes that stuff and cranks it to 11, with additional technomagic stuff like depleted necronium (in this setting, nuclear power has a necromantic element because of the hellstorm created during the first nuclear test).

-- The magic is no more flavorless than Shadowruns, and the setting is pretty interesting. It's not grimdark, but the book does focus a lot more on the drawbacks of the new technomagic era than it probably should (I can see why they do it though). It REALLY needs an update to bring the timeline up to date and the magic in line with the AWESOME GURPS Thaumaturgy and Magical Styles though.

-- Plus anything David Pulver makes is worth buying, in my opinion. smile.gif

-- Oh, and the book is super cheap if you get the PDF version on e23. It's a hell of a lot higher quality than the pirate scan floating around too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012