Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For Fun And Profit: Issue 1
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2
Grinder
To save us from having everything piled up in one thread, here's the coordination thread for #1.

Issue 1

0) Shadowland login screen. This is one of the touches that will make this document feel like an SR4 publication.

1) Introduction The Real Story Of The War (written up as a a classic in-game Shadowland writeup, maybe with some references to War!, but nothing contradicting it)
- An introduction to the war as we see it, and a short out-of-world writeup what this adds to War!, why it makes sense to own both War! And this and what our mission writing this is.

[meat 2 to 4: an overview of the entire Am/Az conflict as an Argus document that got leaked onto the shadow boards. They got hired to give a comprehensive overview of the war (probably by UCAS or CAS) - that'll let us give an objective view on everything without having to rely on making 'runners to tell the stories]

2) God’s Eye Perspective: An overview of the conflict
2.1 Aztlan: The only thing better than power is more power
2.2 Amazonia: Over our cold, dead bodies
2.3 UCAS/Ares: The enemy of my enemy still is my enemy (but seeing them kill each other is priceless)
2.4 Saeder-Krupp: War is business. More war is more business.
- Horizon: Food for the World, and pleased love us!
- Colombian freedom fighters: Viva Colombia!

3) The Front Lines! (What happened in the war, and who did what where. All the stuff we miss. This is where a timeline goes!)
3.1) Timeline of the war
3.2) Maracaibo (urban warfare in all it’s gory glory)
3.3) Caracas (If this isn’t the biggest mess in South America, it’ll do till the real biggest mess arrives)
3.4) Bogota (venture point, occupied city, dense atmosphere, but no massive battles)

4) Military Organizations involved
4.1) AZT - War on 5,000 Nuyen a soldier or less
4.2) AMZ - Magical guerillas
4.3) UCAS/CAS - High Tech, Low Numbers
4.4) Ares/S&K - Who do you think /makes/ the High tech toys
4.5) Mercs - A range of Merc units. From those barely better than a shadowrun team, to highly trained, highly equiped special forces mercs.

5) Modern Warfare 2073 (meat: a document compiled by the CAS armed forces for CAS Marine officer trainees at [whereever their Marines academy is].)
5.1) Different Strategies for different people (an introductionary essay on different types of armies in the 6th world and what that means)
5.1.1 The 6 Million Nuyen Soldier (High Tech, Low Numbers: Examples UCAS, CAS, Ares, SK, MCT; essay by one of these or maybe an analyst of another corp)
5.1.2 Do you want to live forever? (Quantity over quality. Examples: AZT, Russia; an essay by a former Russian or Aztlaner soldier)
5.1.3 The new ways of War (magic-heavy armies. examples: AMZ, TT, Yakut. An essay on fighting those from the perspective of a CalFree soldier?)
5.1.4 Down and dirty (Asymmetrical Warfare. Examples: African Armies, Terrorists and Insurgents. An essay by a veteran of the Polish freedom fighters)
5.1.5: Oh My God Is That A Dragon? An essay on what combat does look like when your air force faces Wyverns and Dragons. Probably an in-game
5.2 The Matrix on the Battlefield
5.2.1: The combat hacker. What does Hacking for the military look like and how does it differ from hacking for corps?
5.2.2 Digital Frontlines: What is fought in the Matrix in War and why. Securing commsats, encryption/decryption, infiltration/guarding of tacnets, recon, disinformation. How do Hackers work in the Combat Zone The HQ Hacker, the OpCom haker, the descendants of the comms guy, Rigger platoons and Cyberwar Brigades
5.2.3 The Resonant Side Of War: Combat Technomancers, AI and Sprites versus Tactical Hackers and Agents. Also an essay on The Military fighting AI and Sprites, possibly written up as a report from UN forces fighting to take back Geneva.
5.3 Magic on the battlefield (an Intro by a hardened Merc about Magic on the Battlefield and how it changed everything, a brief outline of magic in wars from the Ghost dance War to the Euro Wars to the Az/Yuc-War.)
5.3.1 to 5.3.3 Three essays on magic on the battlefield, each in-character: one by a member of the Tir Tairngire armed forces (magical combined troops), one by a Yakut shapeshifter (magical guerilla) and one by an UCAS combat mage (Magic in a technicised army). Each with it’s own flavor and varied use of magic)

6) Faces of War: Sample Units (meat: a collection of documents accumulated by the Ares' Inteligence Services, formerly part of the Seraphin network, who want to study how these militaries work to know more about their competitors, and as a for-sale guide for 'military counselors'.)
Aztlan Brigada de Fusileros Paracaidistas (Aztlan’s parachutist regiment)
La Legion Étrangère, 1er Régiment étranger de cavalerie, 1er REC (mobile light armored cavalry)
The King’s Own Royal Gurkha Rifles (formerly Royal Gurkha Rifles, British Gurkha regiment)
Henan People’s Liberation Army 19th Infantry Division (organised much like a Chinese PLA regiment from the Korean war)
MET 2000 Einsatzgruppe 3 (A heavily cybered combined arms troop)
The units should feature fully statted example NPCs as well as unit organization and rank charts.

7) Gear and coolshit (meat: an exposé by the Lagos Arms Fair, written for prospective customers; downloaded is the English version, but there could be others in all kinds of languages mentioned somehow)
- Revisions of the gear in War!.

cool.gif Game Info Errata’d rules from War! That are not totally batshit.

9) Shadowland Open Forum. An open forum where we can have our talkers go nuts. good, old-fashioned shadowtalk, rumors, discussions drifung. We can dump anything that does not fit anywhere else here.
Grinder
Notes to 2. (Reasons for the war between Atzlan and Amazonia):

Ancient Power Sites
Magical Ingredients and components for making Foci
Minerals

//warning delving into Earthdawn cross over crap//
Maybe the Amazon is a source of True Wood? and possibly True Water?
It's possible that deep inside the Basin are things AZT knows about that their Great Dragons want?

It's possible that the whole war is a power-play between the 5 Great Dragons involved in this thing?
The Horrors are coming back, perhaps theres resources in the Amazon Basin needed for 'something'

This all kind of fits into the Power-Sites idea, actually.

//end of Earthdawn Cross over crap//

Yeah, I get why Aztlan would want the basin.

But they have to want it bad enough to try and wipe out Amazonia, or at least large chunks of it, and to go up agaisnt A Great Dragon and his friends (There are 3 Dragons involved in Amazonia.. Though they might not all be Greats)

That's a serious War. And maybe that is AZT's final plan down the line. AZT is kind of a weird place, they're run by a pair of Corrupted Great Dragons, so who knows how crazy they're willing to get.

The question remains, why is Amazonia fighting a siege on a city that is
a) completely out of their comfort zone
b) along incredibly narrow, easily destroyed supply lines
c) of no strategic interest to them

Now, if you make Bogota the central military hub for AZT in the south, and they're doing combat missions into the heart of the Basin. I guess that's a bit better. I think I see it going like this:

Azt has major hunting/retreival operations going on out of Bogota. It's fairly safe for them. It's a major airport.
They hire Mercenaries and Big Game hunters to go into Amazonia and bring back magical lucre. Naga hides, Giant Spider poison sacs, what ever. They also do Dune like "lumber runs" where they have special LAVS. They fly in, clear a section of forest, and fly back out. They then turn around and use that wood for "Authentic Amazon Forest Furniture™" or some such crap.

The Amazonians are none too pleased, but they're facing a REAL war in Venezuela. With tanks, massive troop movements, etc. So they've got mostly guerrila and merc units that are based from forward camps in the Jungle. Rules of Engagement for the Mercs are seriously restricted from the Amazonian side.

The Amazonians are running small guerilla units into the mountains and trying to attack Bogota.

That could work...
Grinder
Post all relevant links into this thread, please (i.e. shadowtalkers, drafts).
hermit
Shadowtalker List (global): here
Maracaibo draft: here
Combat First Aid: here
1er REC ragiment of the French Foreign Legion: here
Personal Equipment: here
Metahumans in the Army: here
Maracaibo map: here
Yakut War draft: here
CanRay
Can I make a suggestion?

Desert Wars should take up a part on this as well. While I know it's just a Bloodsport that's dealt with like any other sporting event, it is warlike in it's nature. Even if it is a method of Corporations showcasing their newest weapons and equipment...

I started thinking ideas about it earlier today.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 12 2011, 07:47 PM) *
Can I make a suggestion?

Desert Wars should take up a part on this as well. While I know it's just a Bloodsport that's dealt with like any other sporting event, it is warlike in it's nature. Even if it is a method of Corporations showcasing their newest weapons and equipment...

I started thinking ideas about it earlier today.

I think Desert Wars and other corporate-sponsored acts of violence(televised, natch) are going to entirely comprise Issue 3.
sabs
That is the plan, we actually plan on having a Blood Sport Extravaganza! Issue.

Big Money! Big Prizes! Big Death!
CanRay
Working on what I can write for this in my head... So far I'm getting ideas about Ares (Which I've subtitled: "We practically are the military", in the infamous RoboCop quote) as written by my Mary Sue, er, favorite NPC: Jon "Money" Johnson. He's a shareholder of Ares.

Also having ideas for lesser military Corps, as well... NeoNet: "We don't build weapons, we build the software that makes them work and unhackable" and Horizon: "If you're going to fight, do it with style! And ratings!".

Well, hopefully that gives people some ideas. I can't really trust myself to write any longer. (Four bloody month hiatus...).
Brazilian_Shinobi
While i'm waiting for final approval of Maracaibo, I wanna know what is not being worked yet.
If there is no one working on 4.2 and 5.1.3 yet, I'm volunteering for them.
sabs
5.1.3 and 4.2 are yours.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 18 2011, 01:59 PM) *
While i'm waiting for final approval of Maracaibo, I wanna know what is not being worked yet.
If there is no one working on 4.2 and 5.1.3 yet, I'm volunteering for them.

I'm rolling through Maracaibo. I know we're bumping up against our EOM deadline so I'll try to get something back on it by tomorrow.
Brazilian_Shinobi
So, some questions emerged while I was writing. Am I supposed to talk about the history of the amazonian military or just describe how is the hierarchy and structure involved in the conflict or both?

Also, while talking to Garou he mentioned and I think it is a good idea, that we should re-write the Genebre Convention, given Awakening and stuff. For instance, he suggested that FAB-III should be considered a bilogical weapon and forbidden, what you guys think?
Doc Chase
Do both. Quick blurb on its history but focus on its makeup. Try to explain how the standing militaries in the South American countries that are now Amazonia transitioned to the 'GLA-style' fighters by 2072.

As for the Geneva Convention...eh. I think rewriting it would also require an overhaul of national power and the UN, and a more detailed explanation of what we've got. Let's allude to the notion that there's talk in the UN of classifying it as a WMD (if it hasn't already) and leave it at that.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Still writing on Amazonian military, here is the document for critique
Doc Chase
I'll shuffle through it when I'm not at work. I've got class starting tonight too, but with luck I'll have the first edits on Maracaibo done and back tonight, and the Military doc by Friday.
Fatum
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 19 2011, 09:28 PM) *
Still writing on Amazonian military, here is the document for critique

Don't shapeshifters mature much faster than humans, basically roughly as fast as their original species? Running Wild supports that.

Minding that both Amazonia and Yakut are awakened nations concerned with environmental preservation and such, I though that Russo-Yakut war could see some Amazonian volunteers and weapons; what do you think about that?
Brazilian_Shinobi
Yes they do, they grow as fast as Orks.

Correction, once they achieve "adulthood", they live as long as Orks.

But, as Garou had talked to me, better don't draft them too young, they better learn a little bit about the metahuman civilization a bit.
Fatum
Well, in Running Wild, wolf shifters are said to mature at three.
Your call, really; but refusing to enlist them unless they spend ten more years elsewhere just seems like a sloppy move to me, reducing possible manpower reserves for the army.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Shapeshifters are rare, they are not significant manpower. Orks on the other hand, are.

But while harpies and jaguars are considered adults by the age of 3, their shapeshifter counterpart would still live with their parents for a much longer time. I could reduce their age of enlistement, but I think I'll drop to 10 years for them.
Fatum
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 20 2011, 05:17 AM) *
Shapeshifters are rare, they are not significant manpower. Orks on the other hand, are.

But while harpies and jaguars are considered adults by the age of 3, their shapeshifter counterpart would still live with their parents for a much longer time. I could reduce their age of enlistement, but I think I'll drop to 10 years for them.

Again - your draft, your call. You could also just drop the explanation in there for everyone to see.

Also, are you writing up Amazonia-produced weapons?
hermit
I don't think Amazonia would have much of a weapons industry (entirely unlike Brazil!), but some local flavor there would be nice and small arms they'd certainly produce themselves, if in license maybe.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Well, we have Taurus right now, they produce a lot of pistols and revolvers, also a few SMG's and shotguns, but their main focus is on sidearms.
Also, if I recall, Amazonia is not a signatary of the Corporate Business Accord, meaning that while the corporations could really have an interest in installing facilities here, Hualpa may do as it pleases and kick them out.

I'll try finish the fluff and start some crunch today.
hermit
Taurus is a brazilian company? Didn't know that. They are even named in SR novels.
Also, if I recall, Amazonia is not a signatary of the Corporate Business Accord, meaning that while the corporations could really have an interest in installing facilities here, Hualpa may do as it pleases and kick them out.

And can also earn money by producing knockoff products and being a tax haven.
sabs
I think it makes a certain amount of sense that Amazonia would have maintained it's small arms manufacturing.

Look, there's a GIANT sprawl in Amazonia, with modern buildings, and favalas and all that crap. For that to happen, there has to be social and economic forces causing the Sprawl to not only exist, but be sustainable.

There has to be jobs.
There has to be wealth.
Even for the SiNNless residents of the favalla's there has to be some way to make some kind of living, or they would have all died out of starvation.

Amazonia has to have industry. It's almost certainly low scale, and very eco friendly. But it has to be there.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 20 2011, 10:03 AM) *
Taurus is a brazilian company? Didn't know that. They are even named in SR novels.

And can also earn money by producing knockoff products and being a tax haven.

QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 20 2011, 10:20 AM) *
I think it makes a certain amount of sense that Amazonia would have maintained it's small arms manufacturing.

Look, there's a GIANT sprawl in Amazonia, with modern buildings, and favalas and all that crap. For that to happen, there has to be social and economic forces causing the Sprawl to not only exist, but be sustainable.

There has to be jobs.
There has to be wealth.
Even for the SiNNless residents of the favalla's there has to be some way to make some kind of living, or they would have all died out of starvation.

Amazonia has to have industry. It's almost certainly low scale, and very eco friendly. But it has to be there.

Agreed, I'm just saying that I don't think the corps would invest too much in amazonia. Cheap products? Sure, specially because the most famous corp for producing cheap products is Aztechnology and I would bet that Aztechnology products is embargoed or at least HEAVILY taxed by Amazonia.

Local small companies? Heck, I'm almost sure that Embraer is mentioned somewhere in Shadowrun and they could still be producing aircraft (civilian and military)
sabs
There should be a few AA corps out of Brazil though.

Also, Hualpa is a Great Dragon. Lets give him credit for being Smart, and not Godzilla. He wants temporal power in Amazonia. Now he has a plan, a vision, of returning nature to nature, and limiting the damage that meta-humanity has done to the planet. But He can't possibly look at Dunkie, and Lofwyr and think, "those guys are idiots" They have a solid plan for power in the world of 2073. (Well not Dunkie anymore, but before he died).

the RIO Sprawl is probably this really weird place.
There's huge Favallas full of gangs where even the Amazonian Troops won't go into without a tank.
There's Corporate zones with beaches, and beautiful modern mansions and the stereotypical Cyberpunk stuff. But it's all Brazil flavored.

Banco do Brazil probably still exists, but it might be Banco Do Amazonia
Bravox, Chocolates Garoto.

Duratex probably go smooched. Except, that with the Forest regrowing so quickly.. some lumbering might be okay.. with special permits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_of_Brazil
is a great resource. We should go through it and pick up 3-5 companies that would still exist and be A, if not even potentially AA in Amazonia.

Brazilian_Shinobi
Nice list.

Companies that I think could be AA of even subsidiaries of other AA and AAA companies;
AmBev
Banco do Brasil
Caixa Econômica Federal
Gerdau
Organizações Globo (totally owned by Horizon)
Eletrobras, Petrobras and Vale (I don't know how Hualpa would reconcile these companies with his vision)

Companies that could be listed as A companies or subsidiaries:
Banco Safra
Brasil Foods
Grupo Pão de Açucar
Duratex (right now they are already an eco-friendly company, I could totally see them expanding into sustainable growth stuff)
Embratel
Natura (another eco-firendly company)
Odebrecht

sabs
it's not hard to be an eco friendly lumbering company when the trees regrow at a magical rate smile.gif
hermit
Local small companies? Heck, I'm almost sure that Embraer is mentioned somewhere in Shadowrun and they could still be producing aircraft (civilian and military)

They do. They also belong to Aztechnology.

Also, Tir na nOg, Tir Tairngire, and France are all buddy-buddy with Amazonia according to the background. So we might want to make soem of these companies subsidiaries of Telestrian or one of the Danaan companies, siince the elfy countries are economically well off.

As for Eletrobras, Petrobras and Vale - they could survive with a heavy ecological slant. Petrobras could, for instance, generate fuel out of waste (it can be done) and from other, greener sources (it is already going there today aftwer all). Eletrobras could operate fusion plants in Metropole, powering the city, and maybe do sidedeals in electric motors and cars they then export to other eco-conscious nations like the Tirs, Britain and whereever. Vale would probably have evacuated lock, stock and barrel to Portugal, where it sits, goes about it's business and sulks.

I'd think Amazonia would nationalise many corps into a large entity that is state (dragon) controled - kind of like in Venezuela, only even more centralised and with less Hugo Chavez. Most companies of national interest are probably state-owned and work uniquely and according to the state's ideals of equal to better rights for non-metaghumans and infected. Below that, we have many smaller companies producing their specialty products and probably operating under protective laws, and foreign companies that probably have to be locally owned or some such protectivist measure, sicne that's all the rage among the more awakened and paranoid countries in the 6th world.
sabs
Are we sure they belong to Aztechnology?

That's.. problematic. And honestly, they probably don't belong to Aztechnology anymore.. Amazonian forces would have taken them over the second war was declared.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 20 2011, 01:58 PM) *
They do. They also belong to Aztechnology.

Really? Well, I'll scrap them as aircraft manufacturer for the Air Force then, what you guys suggest?

Also, Tir na nOg, Tir Tairngire, and France are all buddy-buddy with Amazonia according to the background. So we might want to make soem of these companies subsidiaries of Telestrian or one of the Danaan companies, siince the elfy countries are economically well off.

That's very interesting to know, but I thought France didn't like Amazonia hinting at invading French Guyana, or did I miss something?

As for Eletrobras, Petrobras and Vale - they could survive with a heavy ecological slant. Petrobras could, for instance, generate fuel out of waste (it can be done) and from other, greener sources (it is already going there today aftwer all). Eletrobras could operate fusion plants in Metropole, powering the city, and maybe do sidedeals in electric motors and cars they then export to other eco-conscious nations like the Tirs, Britain and whereever. Vale would probably have evacuated lock, stock and barrel to Portugal, where it sits, goes about it's business and sulks.

Yeah, that's what I'm stuck at, how a military country will produce what's necessary for war without heavy industries? While Vale could still operate in Minas Gerais, its main operation in Brazil is Carajás, there it is located the largest reserve of iron and manganese of the whole world. And it is located deep inside the rainforest...

I'd think Amazonia would nationalise many corps into a large entity that is state (dragon) controled - kind of like in Venezuela, only even more centralised and with less Hugo Chavez. Most companies of national interest are probably state-owned and work uniquely and according to the state's ideals of equal to better rights for non-metaghumans and infected. Below that, we have many smaller companies producing their specialty products and probably operating under protective laws, and foreign companies that probably have to be locally owned or some such protectivist measure, sicne that's all the rage among the more awakened and paranoid countries in the 6th world.

Since Amazonia doesn't sign the Business Accord, I could see them doing something like Aztlan and Aztechnology did. But I think they would go on a case-by-case on which corps must operate freely and which ones must be locally owned.
Nath
Embraer is an Aztechnology subsidiary according to Rigger 3, page 21, and Corporate Guide, page 62. Embraer also appeared as a partner of Dassault with the Embraer-Dassault Mistral aircraft (Rigger Black Book, page 48, Rigger 2, page 154, Rigger 3 180) and the Embraer-Dassault Mégère and Faucon helicopters (SOTA:2063, page 76). Dassault itself is an Aztechnology subsidiary (Corporate Download, page 41, Rigger 3, page 21, Shadows of Europe, page 22, and Corporate Guide, pages 18, 62 and 69).
The Rigger Black Book actually says Aztlan use Embraer-Dassault Mistral as attack aircraft (as of 2052).

The best explanation I could come up with is Dassault and Embraer strenghtened their partnership in the first decades of the XXIst century (IRL, Dassault already owns some shares, and if Dassault Rafale wins the Brazilian F-X2 air fighter competition, it will involve technology transfers between the two companies). Aztechnology bought off Dassault at some point. All of this would have happened before the awakened forces overthrew the Brazilian government in 2034.
The Amazonian government would then expel Aztechnology business, nationalizing the Embraer production sites in Brazil. But everywhere the law of the Corporate Court prevails, Aztechnology would retain ownership of Embraer brand name, technology, the maintenance services, and any sites it may have opened in Aztlan or elsewhere (note that, Embraer only production site outside of Brazil IRL would ends in Manchuria, another country hostile to megacorporations). Especially since the Amazonian government probably doesn't give a shit about the maintenance contracts of Embraer customers.
sabs
so Embraer Amazonia is Embraer in name only.

See, this is a problem I have with this, why do the megacorps have to own everyone.

Aztechnology owns both Embraer, and Dassault, and a bunch of others.

I think there should be WAY more independent AA's out in the world than there are now.

Brazilian_Shinobi
@Nath: good thinking, I'm using it.

@sabs: Yeah, I agree with you, I think there should be more big companies that aren't always a disguised AAA company.
hermit
That's very interesting to know, but I thought France didn't like Amazonia hinting at invading French Guyana, or did I miss something?

Damn, you're right and I messed up. France doesn't like Amazonia. I suppose the NAN who are not in Aztlan's bag do, though, and probably the CAS tacitly cooperate with them, in the good old tradition of American foeign policy being based on "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Yeah, that's what I'm stuck at, how a military country will produce what's necessary for war without heavy industries?

Well, in Afghanistan, a Kalashnikow is made by blacksmiths. Small arms and things can probably be made locally, heavier gear might have to be imported (maybe from teh CAS? That would be an unlikely alliance, but America has had odder ones).

Since Amazonia doesn't sign the Business Accord, I could see them doing something like Aztlan and Aztechnology did. But I think they would go on a case-by-case on which corps must operate freely and which ones must be locally owned.

Aztech versus Amazonia over the brand rights to the name and logo of Embraer is the longest-running case of the corp court and a constant source of amusement in Zurich-Orbital.

See, this is a problem I have with this, why do the megacorps have to own everyone.

Aztechnology owns both Embraer, and Dassault, and a bunch of others.

I think there should be WAY more independent AA's out in the world than there are now.

There are at least 20, 30 in known fluff, but usually they'Re not used more than once or twice.
Fatum
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 21 2011, 01:12 AM) *
Damn, you're right and I messed up. France doesn't like Amazonia. I suppose the NAN who are not in Aztlan's bag do, though, and probably the CAS tacitly cooperate with them, in the good old tradition of American foeign policy being based on "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".

One thing I don't understand about this war is what the hell are CAS and CalFree waiting for. Nobody has ever won a war on two fronts; and even if Amazonia loses, it's prime time to grab at least Austin.
Well, in Afghanistan, a Kalashnikow is made by blacksmiths.

[citation needed]
Small arms and things can probably be made locally, heavier gear might have to be imported (maybe from teh CAS? That would be an unlikely alliance, but America has had odder ones).

Maybe NAN? After all, they too are environmentalists (well, most of them are); yet they have industry alright.

Nath
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 20 2011, 11:12 PM) *
Aztech versus Amazonia over the brand rights to the name and logo of Embraer is the longest-running case of the corp court and a constant source of amusement in Zurich-Orbital.
It is also a provision of the BRA that the Corporate Court is the arbitral body to settle dispute between megacorporations and states. So, first sign the BRA, and the Court will listen to you and help you.

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 20 2011, 11:12 PM) *
There are at least 20, 30 in known fluff, but usually they'Re not used more than once or twice.
The number would be closer to 40 or 50 actually. Shadows of Europe clearly label 15 corporations as AA in the corporate section (among them, 3 have been absorbed in AAA since), plus a few smaller one in the other chapters. Shadows of Asia feature 15 another, Australia in Target: Awakaned Lands has Tanamyre Resources, and you can add at least a few North America ones on the top of that: Lone Star Security Services, Doc Wagon, Federated-Boeing, United Oil Industries, Universal Omnitech...

Late 2nd edition and early 3rd edition used to focus a lot on the AAA. This was slightly less true before and after that period (old books like NAGNA are actually full of obscure corporations nobody remember). By my experience, gamemasters actually sticks to the AAA even more than the authors do.
In the ends, it turns out the SR background is too thin to haven even only ten corporations that would be at the same time truly global, highly diversified and each with their own distinctive backstory and ongoing plots, like they should (and, for extra difficulty, while not being a Mary Sue...). Nearly all of them fail on one of these point: Wuxing will always be "that Chinese corp", Lone Star "the cops for hire", and so on. If you introduce a AA as being just, say, an Amazonian bank, it is not going to be involved in anything else than plots related to banking business in Amazonia. But there will be no other book about Amazonia for a few years. Maybe someone designing a plot involving banking business elsewhere will use it, but he may use any other banking corp in SR universe.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jan 20 2011, 08:20 PM) *
Nobody has ever won a war on two fronts; and even if Amazonia loses, it's prime time to grab at least Austin.

Well, americans did it, they fought in Europe and Pacific during WWII
hermit
Maybe NAN? After all, they too are environmentalists (well, most of them are); yet they have industry alright.

Pueblo could. Hey, that'd bring Horizon in ... how about Horizon supplying them with American weapons, probably made in CAS? The Sioux could sent some advisors, too.

[citation needed]

National Geographics, I'll try and find the issue.
Fatum
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 21 2011, 03:59 AM) *
Well, americans did it, they fought in Europe and Pacific during WWII

Cause that was totally an all-or-nothing war on both fronts. Pffffffft.
Brazilian_Shinobi
So, I finished the fluff part and will begin work on the gear. Critique please.
Fatum
I really like the idea with the ritual.

Not all the infected are contagious. In fact, I believe, most of the ones willing to enlist would be second-generation, and thus, non-contagious at all.

Nuclear subs patrolling the coast? Most nuclear subs are nuke boomers, they are for cold war face-off, not patrols. Unless those are small specifically-designed subs, of course.

I guess you could fit planes into nuke-launch tubes... But yeah, I doubt a vertical launch like that is plausible.

Also, precious little info on actual Awakened in the army - the mages, the shifters, you know, the works. Also, you mention spec-ops units, and I feel it'd be nice to drop a line or two more about each.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jan 20 2011, 11:07 PM) *
I really like the idea with the ritual.

Thank Garou, he was the one who gave me the idea.

Not all the infected are contagious. In fact, I believe, most of the ones willing to enlist would be second-generation, and thus, non-contagious at all.

True, but even so they might be frightening to the rest of the soldiers, better avoid that.

Nuclear subs patrolling the coast? Most nuclear subs are nuke boomers, they are for cold war face-off, not patrols. Unless those are small specifically-designed subs, of course.

Regular submarines would be enough for patrol? My thought on the nuclear subs was to avoid the need of refueling, but if regular subs are enough, I'll change that.

I guess you could fit planes into nuke-launch tubes... But yeah, I doubt a vertical launch like that is plausible.

This one was more of an eastern eggs of all the discussions we had as soon as the book was released when talking about the ships.

Also, precious little info on actual Awakened in the army - the mages, the shifters, you know, the works. Also, you mention spec-ops units, and I feel it'd be nice to drop a line or two more about each.

That was intentional, I was planning on expand more when talking about Awakened Armies in general and give examples taken from Amazonia.
Fatum
Well, Wolf Pack subs haunted the whole Atlantic, and had enough juice to do some real damage. So I guess even a diesel sub is enough.
Wasn't there something about new fusion-powered non-nuke-launching subs in the books, though?
bmcoomes
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 20 2011, 06:15 PM) *
Regular submarines would be enough for patrol? My thought on the nuclear subs was to avoid the need of refueling, but if regular subs are enough, I'll change that.

There are nuke powered attack subs and boomers so you would be fine with leaving it as nuke powered. I was in the US Navy and had a few close friends that worked on both types. Plus there was also an article few months back about some of the different subs on yahoo.

Thanks,
Brent
hermit

Nuke subs are damn expensive and wholly unecological, given how they generate nuclear waste. Submarines with fuel cells, like Type 212 subs (the most advanced of that type to my knowledge, which CAN be fitted as nuke carriers too) or the similar Lada class, are more feasible for Amazonia, all the more since I highly doubt the ecofascist dragons running it would allow continued uranium mining (that's actually my main problem with the idea of Amazonia using nuclear subs). They also have extended patrol times and don't need to refuel often.

@Brazilian_Shinobi:

-- Love the ritual too.

-- Made some shadowtalk suggestions. Any of my sugestions are in blue.

-- For Morale reasons, and because they are better suited for Special Forces work anyway, the Infected should gget their own companies.

-- Several dozen Merrow, with 25000 Marines, is pretty miniscule; I edited to hundreds. Feel free to take back.

-- The air force seems a bit oversized, sicne they still have to power all these planes. Think of the Carbon Dioxide!

-- Maybe we should give the metahuman soldiers copious amounts of combat drugs, possibly autoinjectors in their armor? That would work just as well as cyberware would and be a lot more ... eco-minded.
Brazilian_Shinobi
I liked your additions hermit.
And silly forgeting about hydrogen fuel cells.

On relation to the size of their army, I roughly took brazilian current military and increased by one-third.
But if we are going to use subs powered by hydrogen fuel cells, the same thing could be done with aircraft, right?
The only problem today is because the amount of power generated by hydrogen fuel cells are not high enough to generate the thrust combat fighters need, but hey, it's 60 years in the future, so I guess they can fly on handwavium. grinbig.gif

About the drugs, I thought about it, and I don't think it's worth it. Even if you consider them a facist state that does not care about the individual, drug-abuse incidents are always bad PR.
hermit
About the drugs, I thought about it, and I don't think it's worth it. Even if you consider them a facist state that does not care about the individual, drug-abuse incidents are always bad PR.

Yes, but many of the metahumans in upper ranks are supposed to be ingigenous to the basin, and from what little I knoew, the use of combat (and other) drugs generally is accepted practice there. Also, who's saying the amazonians care much for PR? And even if, Aztlan got away with genocide. Seems the public in SR - who, remember, considers people shooting each other in the face the new saturday evening family event - just seem not to care.

Also, shrink the air force a bit, I'd say, to 70 or so birds. They have the Wyvern- and Roc-riders after all. Since we're going full Na'vi here. grinbig.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 21 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Yes, but many of the metahumans in upper ranks are supposed to be ingigenous to the basin, and from what little I knoew, the use of combat (and other) drugs generally is accepted practice there. Also, who's saying the amazonians care much for PR? And even if, Aztlan got away with genocide. Seems the public in SR - who, remember, considers people shooting each other in the face the new saturday evening family event - just seem not to care.

Also, shrink the air force a bit, I'd say, to 70 or so birds. They have the Wyvern- and Roc-riders after all. Since we're going full Na'vi here. grinbig.gif

Hehehe, about the wyverns, I was discussing this with Garou, about the possibilities and I guess their best use would be to replace patrolling aircraft and perhaps as close-air support, specially for those Wyverns that are sapient, but to use Wyverns for air superiority? I can't see it happening.
I could see them "importing" Griffins from Europe and training them too, I think Hualpa would be more willing to this than Wyvern riders.

Also, the Brazilian Air Force right now has almost 800 birds, being 200 tucanos and super tucanos, another hundred attack birds and the 500 hundreds left are transport planes, VIP planes, reconaissance and some utility helicopters. Shrinking to 70 birds would be too much.
hermit
Hehehe, about the wyverns, I was discussing this with Garou, about the possibilities and I guess their best use would be to replace patrolling aircraft and perhaps as close-air support, specially for those Wyverns that are sapient, but to use Wyverns for air superiority? I can't see it happening.
I could see them "importing" Griffins from Europe and training them too, I think Hualpa would be more willing to this than Wyvern riders.

Yeah, they'd sure have some decent fighter jets there, possibly multirole air superiority VTOL birds like the Eagle-C. Some 60, 70 maybe? But or many other roles - patrolling, scout, surveillance, gound support - I can totally see them employing critters. That would be even less efficient, and it would explain why Aztlan will be on the winning side.

Also, the Brazilian Air Force right now has almost 800 birds, being 200 tucanos and super tucanos, another hundred attack birds and the 500 hundreds left are transport planes, VIP planes, reconaissance and some utility helicopters. Shrinking to 70 birds would be too much.

Right, I was only thinking fighters and bombers. With all the trainers, utility and transport planes, 300 does sound sensible.

Maybe we split the army up? Into an Army of the City and an Army of the Forest?

And we totally, totally need an Aztlaner walker for jungle warfare.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012