Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New User Validation on Hold
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
Redjack
At the moment, new user validation is on hold because spam bots were overtaking us.
SinN
We're being invaded!! Everyone take up arms!!!
Stahlseele
Remember: /b is NOT your personal army!
KarmaInferno
Interesting.

In the past month, the average volume of spam e-mail has been mysteriously dropping like a rock. As in instead of 200 billion or so a day it's down to 50 billion.

In the same timeframe, I've seen a major upswing in message board spam across multiple boards that I frequent.

I wonder if it's related somehow?

-k
Squiddy Attack
They're on to us! frown.gif
Ryu
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jan 9 2011, 05:24 AM) *
Interesting.

In the past month, the average volume of spam e-mail has been mysteriously dropping like a rock. As in instead of 200 billion or so a day it's down to 50 billion.

In the same timeframe, I've seen a major upswing in message board spam across multiple boards that I frequent.

I wonder if it's related somehow?

-k

Like reported here?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (SinN @ Jan 8 2011, 04:50 PM) *
We're being invaded!! Everyone take up arms!!!

Quiet you.
SinN
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Jan 9 2011, 11:24 AM) *
Quiet you.

Oh...okay.

*Kicks the dirt*

...never get to have any fun.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 9 2011, 06:02 AM) *
Like reported here?

Yeah.

Like a 75% drop in spam traffic. There's some speculation why, but nobody seems to have any solid answers.

A lot of anti-spam groups are worried it means the spammers (which are actually only a handful of folks, comparatively, running large bot-nets) are planning something big.

-k
Doc Chase
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jan 9 2011, 10:04 PM) *
Yeah.

Like a 75% drop in spam traffic. There's some speculation why, but nobody seems to have any solid answers.

A lot of anti-spam groups are worried it means the spammers (which are actually only a handful of folks, comparatively, running large bot-nets) are planning something big.

-k

From what I recall of stories on The Register, Internet Police managed to nail one of the larger botnet spammers within the past few months. Only a matter of time before they ramp back up, I suppose.
Redjack
Confirmed: reCaptcha cracked
HoonyFor

In it something is. Now all is clear, thanks for an explanation.

Seth
My son wants to join Dump Shock so that he can play in the pbp. Is there anyway this can be arranged? His username is "Big Fella"
Redjack
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 15 2011, 10:23 AM) *
My son wants to join Dump Shock so that he can play in the pbp. Is there anyway this can be arranged? His username is "Big Fella"
Done.
pbangarth
Now that's using your contacts!
Seth
Now that's using your contacts!

Thanks...we both laughed
Redjack
Welcome whatevs.
Redjack
Welcome ShadowFighter88
IcyCool
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 11 2011, 04:44 PM) *

Er... not that it couldn't have happened again, but the article you linked to (well, you linked to Slashdot, land of 1,000 dupe articles) is over a year old. Check the byline in the linked article: Written by John P Mello JR on January 5, 2010.
Redjack
I've read a few other articles since that talk about bots being able to beat reCaptcha upwards are 30% in the best cases. In any case, I know the amount of spam was killing us.
IcyCool
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 26 2011, 11:17 PM) *
I've read a few other articles since that talk about bots being able to beat reCaptcha upwards are 30% in the best cases. In any case, I know the amount of spam was killing us.

There's definitely been a surge in forum spam lately (felt it in other forums I frequent). It's certainly possible that reCaptcha has been cracked/circumvented again.
Cain
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 26 2011, 02:17 PM) *

You guys are doing a good job of catching it. Kudos.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 26 2011, 05:17 PM) *

Blech, I noticed it was bad awhile back, but didn't know it was that bad. Glad you turned off the validation check.
Stahlseele
What about other Captcha Methods?
Like taking a picture of several silhouettes of men and women.
Then giving them names. And ssking for the name of the single man/woman on the picture?
Or Math Captchas? what is seven and nine? Enter correct answer and you get a cookie.
Or coordinate system captchas?
In the Background, there's something like B27 and you have to click on the field B27 which says something else entirely?
Redjack
The problem there is: Supported within the Invision Board vs. a custom solution. No more activations than are coming in, the time to implement a custom solution is definitely just not justified. I should research how to update the activation email though.
Stahlseele
Ah, okay.
Stahlseele
i have been asked to ask for the activation/validation of the Account with the name:
TranqFrollman

No, it is NOT Frank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012