Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Virtuoso Metamagic (warning, SR 3 stuff)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kyoto Kid
...OK think back.

I have a player interested in picking up the Adept Metamagic technique of Virtuoso (SOTA 2064). In the rules it mentions this can be applied to either a performance or creation of a piece of artwork. Now it seems pretty straightforward in the case of a live performance that the background count adjustment would be in effect for only as long as duration of the performance. Furthermore the adept would be devoting all his/her concentration to the performance and therefore would be unable to take any other actions.

However, I am having difficulty interpreting how this would this work in the case of "permanent"creation like a sculpture or fine handmade piece of jewelry. Would it always have a background count whether or not the creator was present? This makes it seem like a cheap backdoor way for an adept to create what amounts to a "protection vs magic" device.

As background count affects all magic related tests (including drain) on both the physical and astral plane, it could have an impact on game balance. Particularly so as the artisan adept can invest additional Karma into the item during its creation to increase its rating (up to his/her performance skill rating) thus increasing its background count effect. As the the item is automatically attuned to the adept the background count has no effect on its creator.
toturi
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 9 2011, 12:37 PM) *
...OK think back.

I have a player interested in picking up the Adept Metamagic technique of Virtuoso (SOTA 2064). In the rules it mentions this can be applied to either a performance or creation of a piece of artwork. Now it seems pretty straightforward in the case of a live performance that the background count adjustment would be in effect for only as long as duration of the performance. Furthermore the adept would be devoting all his/her concentration to the performance and therefore would be unable to take any other actions.

However, I am having difficulty interpreting how this would this work in the case of "permanent"creation like a sculpture or fine handmade piece of jewelry. Would it always have a background count whether or not the creator was present? This makes it seem like a cheap backdoor way for an adept to create what amounts to a "protection vs magic" device.

As background count affects all magic related tests (including drain) on both the physical and astral plane, it could have an impact on game balance. Particularly so as the artisan adept can invest additional Karma into the item during its creation to increase its rating (up to his/her performance skill rating) thus increasing its background count effect. As the the item is automatically attuned to the adept the background count has no effect on its creator.

The rules for SR3 rules for Virtuoso do not state that the BC lasts only as long as the duration of the performance nor do the rules actually say that he would be devoting his concentration to the performance and would be unable to take any other actions. If the GM wishes to add these house rules, he would be free to do so, but the Virtuoso rules alone do not state so.

In terms of game balance, the TN for the initial composition is quite high.
Vermithrax
Yes its permanent, and though it seems that this would be an ideal way to defend vs magic it also has a few drawbacks in that the object can be used as a material link to its creator and that they are highly sought after by collectors and enchanters.
Some collectors may stop at nothing to obtain a piece they think will accentuate their foyer and the players enemies now have a backdoor to locating and possibly attacking the player anytime/anywhere. One could even combine those desires for a truely epic nemesis, after all a dead artists piece is more valuable..
Kyoto Kid
...that is what I was afraid of. The character is looking to craft jewelry items to give to the team's mundane members.

Since most creative endeavours are a "positive" process, I would think that such a background count might even amplify beneficial magic like healing and curative spells. Thus the team members with the items would have a unique advantage over everyone else in that they would be both harder to affect with offensive spells while being easier to heal. As it is expressed a TN modifier even a background count of say 2 (not out of the reach of an artistic adept) can have a profound effect on whether a spell is successful or not as there is no means for the casting mage to compensate for the penalty (save for maybe centering if they are an initiate).

In some ways this makes a masterpiece item as powerful, if not more, than one with an anchored spell.

-----

Toturi, didn't see your post.

This was just my interpretation as again the description in the rules seems vague. So most likely the BC would then remain after the performance but fade afterward as per the rules in MitS. As to the adept not able to do much else. I used t be a classical keyboardist and can say it does take an extreme amount of concentration, particularly to play in a highly expressive/emotive manner. Thus, I would think that using the performance skill would be a complex action that required the character's complete concentration.

The creation TN is high but not impossibly so and the adept not only adds their initiate grade in dice to the test, but can also invest additional karma (up to his artistic skill) to increase the rating of the item/composition at a rate of 2:1. Hence a grade 2 initiate with say, a composition skill of 6 and two levels of improved ability: Composition, has 10 dice for the initial test and can increase the rating another 3 levels with good Karma. Even with only one success that nets a BC of 4 which is on par with Stonehenge or a the site of major atrocity such as the Vukovar massacre. As it also states, to perform the masterpiece composition, it only requires a Performance (6) test to evoke the full power of the piece.
toturi
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 9 2011, 02:47 PM) *
...that is what I was afraid of. The character is looking to craft jewelry items to give to the team's mundane members.

Since most creative endeavours are a "positive" process, I would think that such a background count might even amplify beneficial magic like healing and curative spells. Thus the team members with the items would have a unique advantage over everyone else in that they would be both harder to affect with offensive spells while being easier to heal. As it is expressed a TN modifier even a background count of say 2 (not out of the reach of an artistic adept) can have a profound effect on whether a spell is successful or not as there is no means for the casting mage to compensate for the penalty (save for maybe centering if they are an initiate).

In some ways this makes a masterpiece item as powerful, if not more, than one with an anchored spell.

Strictly speaking, ruleswise, that is not true. Only the adept's own magic should positively affected, everyone else's magic takes a hit. If this is what is you are worried about, then you shouldn't be.
Kyoto Kid
...OK so then even heal spells would be adversely affected for anyone else than the artist adept possessing such an item. That is a little better. Still, opposing mages are going to be at a distinct disadvantage even if they can sling double digit force spells.

...makes me feel like I'm in twisted version of Dr Strangelove as I feel I am facing an "artistic masterpiece gap"
toturi
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 9 2011, 03:54 PM) *
...OK so then even heal spells would be adversely affected for anyone else than the artist adept possessing such an item. That is a little better. Still, opposing mages are going to be at a distinct disadvantage even if they can sling double digit force spells.

IIRC the best application of Virtuoso is for Magician Adepts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012