Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: The Eye of the Beholder (Recruitment Open)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
Recruitment OPEN

This is the OOC thread for the SR4 Campaign: In the Eye of the Beholder.

The IC thread can be found here.

Posting Requirements: Must post within 3 days of your last post or your character will die. Players in good standing are welcome back any time should their schedule open up again.

The basic premise of In the Eye of the Beholder is that all the members of the team have had some (or even a decent amount of) experience in the Seattle Shadow scene circa 2072. There are many movers and shakers in this erstwhile Frontier City, particularly with the ongoing election campaigns of the high and mighty looking to turn Seattle and it's citizens into their private playground. As the saying goes though, Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder and sometimes certain individuals are required to gain a different set of eyes; not everyones version of "power" is the same. Each member of the team must have some sort of involvement in the shadows that can link them to either the smuggling or aquisition of items for those with the power and money to appreciate them.

This campaign will lend itself well to contacts, as such, for each character that writes a fully detailed background to their character as well as how they got their contacts (and spends at least 25 BP of their own 400 pts on contacts, will recieve 40 FREE BP (BP SYSTEM ONLY ACCEPTED, NO KARMA GEN TOONS PERIOD) in contacts to be spent as they wish; keep in mind however anything 4+ in contacts loyalty and connection WILL be explained in your backstory or they will not be allowed. Same with level 6 skills (though there are no current plans for a dicepool cap) if you have 5+ in any skill you MUST explain them as part of your backstory.

NOTE: Please, in your character background, include your general moral outlook etc.

Characters: 400BP + Bonus 40BP free contacts should the backstory merit it.

Available Slots: 8 Characters 0/8 Characters Left. Once campaign is up and running waitlist/Reserves will be welcomed in.

Players Thus Far: 0/8 Slots remaining

1. Gobogen - Paranormal Animal Hunter - Mathias
2. Panjandrum - Street Sam - Skunk
3. Seth - Hacker/Mage - Jens
4. Thanee - Hacker/ Street Sam - Scarlet
5. Gortrek - Smuggler/ Artisan - Nick
6. Leyline7 - Mage - Psyche
7. Wearzmanyskins - Spec ops rigger - Kestrel
8. Apertur3 - Infiltration BE/small time assassin - Lock

On Deck: 2/4 Slots remaining

1. J. Packer - Ex-Fixer -
2. Digital Heroine - Ex-con/Face -
3. OPEN
4. OPEN

WaitList: 3/3 slots remaining

1. OPEN
2. OPEN
3. OPEN

Under no circumstances will PVP be allowed, this is a team oriented game, and while you may injure each other if the RP calls for it, no lethal action will be condoned.

Please pay attention to basics, your characters are to be scaled so that they are decently experienced shadowrunners NOT FOtB, characters that do not have basic operational necessities (except if explained in the backstory and condoned by myself) such as commlinks (with security programs etc), rations, lifestyles etc will find that their character will soon learn the error of their ways (or just plain die off).

This will be an R-rated campaign, and focuses on survival and life on the mean streets of the Seattle ShadowScene. While I will not be gratuitous, I will not hold back in my portrayal of harsh (but very real) circumstances on the streets. Starvation, murder, abuse, addiction, prostitution, exploitation, rape, organlegging, and other potentially uncomfortable topics have a very good chance of showing up in the course of the campaign. Players should be willing to role-play the daily moral dilemmas and difficult questions that arise in the course of attempting to survive life in the mean streets of Seattle. Only those who play smart will be capable of attaining goal #1: Surviving to see tomorrow. Please understand that death happens and sometimes it happens through no fault of the player. I do not go out of my way to wipe out a character, their actions tend to either help them live or get them killed all by themselves, but I dont shield players that make a dumb mistake. (had to add this in after reading the thread about perception pools and some of the retarded comments there).

To quote an excellent GM on these forums, it IS ‘I need to commit petty/major crime X so I can put gas in my bike, have enough to eat today, and if I’m really lucky, go out and get trashed with my homies tonight’.

Thanks to all who show interest; I will work hard to develop character concepts in tandem with you that will work for this campaign.

See you on the other side chummer.

Addendum: When posting in OOC please follow the following rules for rolling:

Please use Invisible Castle and use your exact in game character name, (you need to create an account to log the rolls to our campaign log), the campaign name is:
In the Eye of the Beholder just copy paste as it is case sensitive.

When you roll something Post your pool (aka how you are getting to the total dice pool). I will add or subtract dice from the right hand side at all times to reflect modifiers etc. You will then have to wait for me to post in the OOC so I can tell you the results of your actions and allow you to roleplay them out in your IC post. Please also include the link to your roll, rolls not in the campaign log will count as auto-failure
Grimm
Heyo. I'm looking to get involved in one more game and something along these lines sounds pretty good.

Let me present a bit of a character snapshot for you.

He would either be an adept or a street sam oriented character. I have him pegged as more of a street brawler, hand to hand kind of person. Someone who is more of a criminal out of necessity than for pleasure. Though I was thinking that maybe a long-term goal for him would be to set up an underground pit fighting event as part of his ploy to make money. I'm not seeing him as someone who necessarily goes out and starts fights for fun; but when he does fight he does what he needs to to end it quickly. I think he would end as being kind a minor face with brawler tendencies.

Anyways, this is just a snapshot. I can flesh out the character if he sounds like something you want in the game.
Possibly, however I'd like to know from you how the character got into the shadows etc and what makes him a bona fide shadowrunner rather than just a street level crook. The pit fighting could be a good in for you if you stack up animal handling/fighting/knowledge skills as well as being a combat adept. Toss me a character sheet in this thread (spoiler it please) so I can see where you go with it.
Seth
Jens Svensen (Final Character Sheet; Last Edited: 6thFebruary, 2011). Edited after mess up with DK spreedsheet

Backstory
[ Spoiler ]

Looks
[ Spoiler ]

Character
[ Spoiler ]

Contact details
[ Spoiler ]

Spreadsheet
Thanee
Scarlet, Combat Hacker

(Final Character Sheet; Last Edited: 7th February, 2011)

[ Spoiler ]
@Seth Pm me a character concept so I can see how you would play it; in general though I shy away from letting PCs be infected/toxics etc as I find the power creep and anti-social tendencies to cause issues to the team.
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jan 30 2011, 10:26 AM) *
Hi!

This does sound quite promising, so let me voice my interest as well. smile.gif

Have the two guys who you refer to above said what kind of archetype they are looking at?

Right now, I'm thinking some kind of ex-military combat hacker (basically a hacker/street sam), but if someone else is already making a hacker or TM, that might not be the best idea. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee

P.S. What does "FOtB" mean? embarrassed.gif

Fotb = Fresh off the boat

A hacker/street sam combo (specially if you focus on ranged) would fit well in our group. The first guy is a smuggler who specializes in art and other valuable goods (not all he does but thats his primary focus). The second guy is probably going either TM (summoner archetype would be my guess) OR magic based. Ulitmately make the character you want to play and it'll fit.

My campaign as written can take advantage of about any basic setups beyond noobies.
WearzManySkins
Kestrel
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes:
[ Spoiler ]

Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge:
[ Spoiler ]

Languages:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities:
[ Spoiler ]

Cyberware/Bioware/Geneware/Nanoware:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Lifestyle:
[ Spoiler ]

Starting NuYen 1,100.
either or works for me, atm we dont have a dedicated rigger in the game so thats pretty viable, as is the shiva ork, take your pick and spoiler up a concept for me (background etc).
Zyerne
Quick and dirty version of my Mystic Adept: 410BP, needs 10 points of neg qualities of offset Mystic Adept

[ Spoiler ]

Will flesh it out when I've got my job aplication done.
Grimm
Hm. I guess I didn't communicate my idea well. I'll go ahead and work up a sheet so you can see it but in the meantime let me clarify a bit.

Being that he spent time fighting on the streets and improvising to win, he chose to stick with what he's good at. He's geared more to close quarters fighting, fighting in buildings, alleys, that sort of thing. I planned to take the Longarms gun skill to use Shotguns so he wouldn't be at a complete disadvantage if his target was across the side of the building. The extension of him as a pit fighter or forming an underground league was more of an extension of his natural interests in hand to hand fighting rather than a major character focus. It would be something he'd get set up, organized, maybe organize some gambling through, and run it through a manager when he was working a job. I also don't think he's going to realize he's an Adept either. Most/all of his abilities will be latent and he won't necessarily be embracing that aspect of who he is. He just knows he's extremely good at kicking someone's ass once he gets his hands on them.

His move into shadowrunning was on the street level for the most part. I don't see him being much past say.. hijacking a truck of a corporation heading across the city or popping a low-level foot soldier for someone in a rival crime faction.

Anyway I have most of the stat work done. I'll see if I can get a background fleshed out and posted today with it.
Thanee
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Jan 30 2011, 07:45 PM) *
A hacker/street sam combo (specially if you focus on ranged) would fit well in our group.

Yep, I definitely had ranged as a combat focus in mind.

Ok, I will put something together then, and PM it to you when it is presentable. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
@Grimm thats fine, just put that in there to check it out (though if you are interested in pit fighting you should check out either getting Ork Underground as a group contact or someone there, possibly even bring in animals for old school gladitorial stuff).

To all who havent already PM'd me please do at your convenience with your rough backgrounds and stats etc. smile.gif

Gortrek Bloodsplatterer
Street Name: Nick (Nickolai)

Smuggler/Courier

Due to a series of unfortunate events the only working vehicle in his possession is a bike. Fairly new to the Seattle area and a lover of fine art. His loyal dog, Papa Tush is enjoying the scenery and learning the sights and smells of his new home.

Description
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]
WearzManySkins
Rough Draft of Kangi Maza "Iron Crow" aka Kestrel PMed to you Only
yeah Im reading it now
Thanee
I'm seriously considering not to take those 25 BP in Contacts (even though it is certainly tempting to have 65 BP in Contacts around wink.gif).

Bye
Thanee
Zyerne
I missed that the bonus BP was contacts only. That changes things rather dramatically.
@thanee thats perfectly fine, it's just a little easter egg for those that do want it, not mandatory by far.

@zyerne: doh that sucks and yes its contacts ONLY.

Seth
I didn't read the bit after 40pts being contacts either.

However I quite like the idea of having 65 pts in contacts...just call me Mr Connected!

WearzManySkins
Any chance for an item from WAR!
page 160
YNT So Weave Armor:
For purposes of armor allowance (see Armor and Encumbrance, p. 161, SR4A),
reduce the highest armor rating of worn armor by the wearer’s
Strength (so, for example, an armor vest would encumber someone
with Body 2, if the armor vest was So Weave and that person had
a Strength of at least 2, he could wear it without penalty due to
armor encumbrance).
Red-ROM
I like to see the "post or die" idea catching on biggrin.gif
I've killed 5 people to keep my game running
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Jan 31 2011, 06:16 PM) *
I like to see the "post or die" idea catching on biggrin.gif
I've killed 5 people to keep my game running

Yeah I was part of a campaign ages ago (on another name) that did that a year or 2 ago and we had a cast of about 40 players (DiTGs here on Welcome to the Shadows) worked pretty well, didnt see you had done it however smile.gif it is indeed a good idea.
I still need to see the completed (or in Grimm's case any) character sheets for zyerne thanee and Grimm. I would like to have the campaign started by friday or saturday at the latest please.
Seth
I would like to have the campaign started by friday or saturday at the latest please.

Just a heads up that I won't be posting on friday night/saturday as I will be on a plane (actually 2 planes) from the UK to New Zealand. Thats just about as far away from home as its possible to get!
QUOTE (Seth @ Feb 1 2011, 09:33 AM) *
Just a heads up that I won't be posting on friday night/saturday as I will be on a plane (actually 2 planes) from the UK to New Zealand. Thats just about as far away from home as its possible to get!

no worries thats the soft day for us to get started. Read your pm btw.
Thanee
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Feb 1 2011, 06:29 PM) *
I still need to see the completed (or in Grimm's case any) character sheets for zyerne thanee and Grimm. I would like to have the campaign started by friday or saturday at the latest please.

No problem. I'm almost done, only need to do some finishing touches. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
One thing guys its come to my attention (and my fault I missed it the first time) that many are trying to use stuff from WAR!; nothing from that book at all period, nada zip zilch.
KK Grimm has dropped and so recruitment for the initial cast is reopened.
gobogen
FINAL
Last edited: Feb. 27 2011

Mathias
[ Spoiler ]
Digital Heroin
I was just going to drop my name in the hat, too, as what I was going to leave up to group need.
kk sounds good both of you are tenatively in once I see character sheets, I havent heard anything from zyerne lately. I have to check with him really quick to see whats up with his eta.
Digital Heroin
I'm going to cook up a Lucky-Face of sorts, with a web of contacts. At least that's the plan. Dual face in a legwork heavy game shouldn't be too bad.
Face would be fine, pack some combat ability (imo of the more stealthy version) as well just in case. or you could be a slightly malicious face who used to be a demo expert (which none of the team has atm). Tbh though anything is fine so long as you arent "just" a face, though it could be nice to see a ton of contacts.
Digital Heroin
I never leave my characters without at the very least the ability to ruin someone's day with a bullet to the face.

...though I don't think I'll be doing so in the grand tradition of the face in my offline game, who likes to shoot people with big revolvers in crowded bars...
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Feb 2 2011, 10:24 AM) *
I never leave my characters without at the very least the ability to ruin someone's day with a bullet to the face.

...though I don't think I'll be doing so in the grand tradition of the face in my offline game, who likes to shoot people with big revolvers in crowded bars...

yeah lol that might cause an issue or two...
JxJxA
Hey Onlyghost, I'd be interested in getting on the on deck list. I have a street samurai char from a campaign that crapped out before getting started. The character is Krsnik listed on my Cast of Shadows post (linked in my sig), but I'll rebuild it for your campaign.

Personality/morality-wise he's a caped crusader/masked avenger guy who wants to help people (neutral/chaotic good on the D&D morality spectrum). He's also very team-oriented, so there will be no backstabbing/betraying coming from his end.

Edit: I looked over the character and I don't think I have to change much of anything to make it fit. Let me know if there is anything from WAR! in there. I don't think there is, but I'm still learning the system and am more than happy with having people cite rules at me if I flub up. smile.gif
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Feb 2 2011, 07:12 PM) *
Hey Onlyghost, I'd be interested in getting on the on deck list. I have a street samurai char from a campaign that crapped out before getting started. The character is Krsnik listed on my Cast of Shadows post (linked in my sig), but I'll rebuild it for your campaign.

Personality/morality-wise he's a caped crusader/masked avenger guy who wants to help people (neutral/chaotic good on the D&D morality spectrum). He's also very team-oriented, so there will be no backstabbing/betraying coming from his end.

Edit: I looked over the character and I don't think I have to change much of anything to make it fit. Let me know if there is anything from WAR! in there. I don't think there is, but I'm still learning the system and am more than happy with having people cite rules at me if I flub up. smile.gif

I wouldnt mind having you on the team however; I just ran through your character sheet as is and you are way over on bp:

190 atts
144 skills
34 in cntacts
45 in gear
413bp alone right there. your qualities themselves are not going to work simply cause you have too many positives to balance them even to 0 if you took all -35 neg points.

I have a few very big issues with your cyber gear that we need to deal with before we can work the character out but the nice thing is that with 34 in contacts you can get our free 40bp in contacts added in there (only for contacts though).

Ill pm you my other observations in a minute here. Also, when you pm me youll need a character backstory etc.
JxJxA
No problem, I'm more than happy to retool the character. The original campaign was going to be a little higher powered but I can definitely strip out the bad stuff. I'm more interested in playing the character concept rather than the actual build. smile.gif
Kk for those who I have spoken with you are good to go, just edit your first post in this thread and delete whatever you have in there, then insert your finalized character sheet (in spoilers please) into the post so I dont have to keep hunting for them. Also write FINAL and then the day it was updated at the top of the post.
Thanee
@gobogen: I don't think Jazz works with Wired Reflexes (or any other form of initiative enhancement; they are pretty much all mutually exclusive).

Also, you cannot have that many mods on the Armor Jacket (only 12 rating points total). Speaking of the Nonconductivity/Fire Resistance/Chemical Protection here.

However, you could add one of those three R6 mods to a Form-Fitting Half-Body Suit (from Arsenal) and wear that in addition to the Armor Jacket (your Body certainly is high enough for that).

That's some well-spent 900¥ (for the FFBA). smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Crap thats my bad I proofed his sheet and didnt catch that.
gobogen
Thanks Thanee, good catch and good suggestion. I should have known about the the Jazz, my bad; didn't know at all about the armor limits on modifs.

I switched to Coke and added the extra armor.
Digital Heroin
Ok, I'm knuckling down on making my Elven ex-con/used car salesman/under appreciated father/Face... going to be working on a exhaustive lists of contacts (one for the 25BP in creation, and one for the bonus). Going to be a mix of social strata, criminal and legit. And a dirty cop in there for good measure.
J. Packer
If there's really still room "on deck" I'd like to toss a character into the hat.

Let me know if you're still recruiting, and I'll get you a character sketch.
Thanee
QUOTE (gobogen @ Feb 4 2011, 12:28 AM) *
...didn't know at all about the armor limits on modifs.

It's detailed on Arsenal p. 44, in case you havn't found it yourself by now. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Right ppl, everyone (most of you have already done so) in the starting group has until 10am Saturday (Pacific Time) to get their toons into spoilered posts or they are moved to the on deck position. Those in the On-deck position have until Sunday Midnight Pacific Time to get their character sheets to me for review and final approval.

Few things on posting in the IC channel to keep in mind:

1. No sigs in IC PERIOD.

2. Please keep as much as possible to 3rd person writing except for thoughts texts etc; I don't want to see non thought dialogue looking like: Gortrek decides he wants to go to the bar and asks his friends.

3. As this is a combined story we are telling as a group, not just me moving you about like pieces on a board be original in what you write but don't don't metagame. You can describe much of what you wish to (in terms of surroundings etc if I've given you the go-ahead and they arent game critical). Do not roleplay interactions with other PCs or NPCs (minor ones are ok in general as long as they dont have a bearing on the game) without my approval as GM or their approval for teamwork scenarios etc.

4.This is a game we play for fun BUT, this is not a pink mohawk campaign, doing things that are dumb in game but funny outside of it will not get you karma (in general) and they very well may get you in a mostly dead state of being. I dont run a hollywood style game as I said in the intro to this campaign, this is a real world and what you do will have far-reaching and sometimes unpredictable side effects.

5. Enjoy the game smile.gif. If i screw something up in your backstory (usually I dont but I am human and it can happen) pm me so I can straighten it out.
5a. If you have a conflict with another players character work it out, pvp is not allowed nor is mind controlling team mates etc, that kind of anti-social rping will have drastic side-effects, you can threaten but in the end the two of you have to work to not cause a fight etc.

6. For all questions, rolls etc Post in this thread.

7. Please use Invisible Castle and use your exact in game character name, (you need to create an account to log the rolls to our campaign log), the campaign name is:

In the Eye of the Beholder just copy paste as it is case sensitive.

8. When you roll something Post your pool (aka how you are getting to the total dice pool). I will add or subtract dice from the right hand side at all times to reflect modifiers etc. You will then have to wait for me to post in the OOC so I can tell you the results of your actions and allow you to roleplay them out in your IC post. Please also include the link to your roll, rolls not in the campaign log will count as auto-failure.

Looking forward to getting this started.
gobogen
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Feb 4 2011, 01:37 PM) *
Looking forward to getting this started.

Me too!

You seem to warn us a whole lot about pvp and infighting.. I've rarely witnessed this kind of behavior in games I've been in online and irl, especially not to the point of intentionally trying to kill a fellow PC. Is this something you've often had to deal with?
Seth
If you have a conflict with another players character work it out, pvp is not allowed nor is mind controlling team mates etc, that kind of anti-social rping will have drastic side-effects, you can threaten but in the end the two of you have to work to not cause a fight etc.

I'm with this plan. No pvp. The world is grim enough anyway.
J. Packer
PM'ed you my current character sheet draft. Will type up his backstory this weekend as time allows.

QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Feb 4 2011, 11:37 AM) *
2. Please keep as much as possible to 3rd person writing except for thoughts texts etc; I don't want to see non thought dialogue looking like: Gortrek decides he wants to go to the bar and asks his friends.

Will you elaborate more on this? I'd like to see your idea of a "perfect" post for the IC thread, so I don't accidentally transgress.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012