Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Designing a unique weapon..
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
John Campbell
There may have been a few greatswords in the ten pound neighborhood, but it wasn't anything like normal. Bearing swords could easily get heavier than that, even two to three times heavier, but they weren't ever used - or even usable - in combat. The heaviest functional sword that I've ever personally encountered was an 8.5 pound German zweihander. Claymores typically run in the 5-6 pound range. And those are two-handed swords... even five pounds is excessively heavy for a weapon designed to be wielded with one hand. 2-3 pounds is more usual. (The 5.7 kilos - around 13 pounds - that CC lists for the Laser Goofyass Axe is utterly ridiculous.)

My broadsword, which is not made of "modern materials", but of good old-fashioned hand-forged carbon steel, just like the Vikings used to use, and modelled after a historical Viking pattern, weighs just a hair over two pounds. About the same as a loaded Glock, in other words. Most of that mass is in the pommel and guard. My broadsword's balanced fairly far forward - it's designed for cleaving mail, not for agile handling - but even still, the balance point is only about six inches in front of the guard. A more typical sword would have a balance point only a couple inches from the guard. Even with my broadsword, I have no difficulty pointing it and holding it steady one-handed. Of course, I've trained for years to handle that sword... but I assume that anyone who'd be seriously trying to use a sword-gun would have sword training at least approaching mine (though perhaps rather less common sense).

If a pistol were to be integrated into the hilt, it'd probably close to double the weight of the weapon, and all of that additional weight would be in or close to the hilt, which would have the effect of moving the balance point back several inches. I'd be more concerned about how the extra weight affected the handling of the sword than about how the forward balance affected the handling of the pistol. It'd probably help control recoil, actually, though the gun would be slower to get around. Of course, at ranges where that's a serious problem, you probably shouldn't be trying to shoot your opponent, anyway. The gun is only mightier than the sword when you're more than ten feet or so away from it.

It also occurs to me that something like a third of that aforementioned Glock's weight is the ammo. Every time you pull the trigger on your sword-gun, you're firing off part of your pommel weight. I don't want to think about how that'd affect the sword's balance and handling characteristics.

Cervantes's sword-gun is just fragging retarded. I can just see firing that thing and having the recoil kick the barrel up and the blade right back into your face...

And game-mechanic-wise, the whole discussion is pointless. Just get a fragging bayonet. There are rules in CC for them already. 50¥'ll let you turn anything with an underbarrel mount into a (Str+2)M Reach 2 pole arm. That's the same damage as a sword, better Reach (the Reach is too long, really... a bayoneted rifle's reach is closer to a regular sword's than to a greatsword or pole arm's), and you can put it on an assault rifle instead of a wussy pistol.
TheScamp
The heaviest functional sword that I've ever personally encountered was an 8.5 pound German zweihander.

Christ. Even that is seriously pushing the functionality envelope.
John Campbell
QUOTE (TheScamp)
The heaviest functional sword that I've ever personally encountered was an 8.5 pound German zweihander.

Christ. Even that is seriously pushing the functionality envelope.

It had, IIRC, a 22" hilt, and another 18" or so of leather-wrapped ricasso. That's a lot of leverage to wrestle it with.
TheScamp
Sure, but it's still teetering on the brink of the rediculous.
ShadowPhoenix
QUOTE (mike_the_fish)
Actually I disagree with your assessment. It is NOT a sporting rifle. A sporting rifle has a stock, and is held with two hands securely braced against one's shoulder.

What was being discussed is a pistol with a ridiculously long "barrel" extending out from the front. No stock, and if you did hold it with two hands, it would have to be at the hilt - wich would drastically reduce it's accuracy.

For an example watch the original Batman movie. Remember the pistol that the Joker pulls out of his pants and shoots the Batjet with? That is what we are talking about. Watch how hard it is for Nicholson to even keep the barrel steady, much less actually aim it at something. In the movie he shoots the jet of course, which pretty damn lame, but that's Hollywood for you.

Guess that's the crux of this argument. If you want to run a cinematic Hollywood style game, then yeah the pistol/sword works fine. If you want to run a game where the laws of physics actually resemble planet Earth, then penalties must be applied. Both versions are cool - just have to set up what you want for your own campaign.

The reason I chose sporting rifle was because the SR mechanics allow for the mods necessary on that style of frame. removing/modifying the handle would be all that is needed to make your pistol or sword handle(however you want it) I'm merely stating what frame you would have to use to make it work in a SR mechanics standpoint, which I thought was the point of this thread. How to make the gunsword work in SR.

if this assumption is incorrect my apologies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012