Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dark Days in Denver [OOC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Red-ROM
maybe Valentines day is hard for him. Or maybe its really good for him and he's at his Vegas Honeymoon right now. More than likely, however. This game is gonna end up on the heap with 90% of the other games that start on here. Hopefully he comes back and proves me wrong.
BlackHat
QUOTE (gobogen @ Feb 19 2011, 01:03 PM) *
I think we need some GM supervision right now regarding what is left for us to do before we're good to start.

That is, if we still have a GM? I just checked pan's account and I found this:

Noticed the same thing, but was going to wait a full week before worrying about it. Vice is pretty set, so as far as I know, the ball is in Panj's court.
gobogen
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Feb 19 2011, 04:23 PM) *
the ball is in Panj's court.

That's my feeling also.
Red-ROM
@ Aria: how does the shoulder mount work on your Grenade launcher? what is it mounted to? is that a weapon mod? I couldn't find it
Seth
This game is gonna end up on the heap with 90% of the other games that start on here.

I hope not. For me the ratio is 50:50 and I am quite enjoying the 2 that I am playing. I would quite like to play this game as the characters look quite fun.
Red-ROM
Lets see, I've joined six games and started two.
one ran for a year after dying and restarting with a new GM. Never finished a mission
One is limping along with no GM, also had a character step up to run it.
one I'm running myself, and killing players that don't post (6 months, 6 deaths)
I think there's a lack of understanding how long these games take in this format. "Post or Die" is running faster than any game I've seen on here. We all post at least twice a week, and it will probably be another 6 months before we finish our first objective.
Aria
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Feb 21 2011, 04:14 AM) *
Lets see, I've joined six games and started two.
one ran for a year after dying and restarting with a new GM. Never finished a mission
One is limping along with no GM, also had a character step up to run it.
one I'm running myself, and killing players that don't post (6 months, 6 deaths)
I think there's a lack of understanding how long these games take in this format. "Post or Die" is running faster than any game I've seen on here. We all post at least twice a week, and it will probably be another 6 months before we finish our first objective.

Thankfully my Emerging game is romping along (although we seem to have some players that are AWOL already and had a couple of joiners midway through)...they might even complete their objective, eh Seth?!? smile.gif I like the sound of PorD but the thread is too daunting now to read through and try to join midway frown.gif

As to the grenade launcher, given the amount I paid for it I was hoping for some GM handwaiving as I thought that something that doesn't need to be too accurate could afford to be fired from a hareness connection (afterall the Ballista Missile System does...), so it isn't an official mod...hopefully that'll be ok as I don't have a plan B nyahnyah.gif
sabs
in your game Aria, we've lost all the originals but me smile.gif
3 of the originals never made it past the first page of posting. Klink went from being rabbidly active to gone, and Dahlia's player posts very sporaticly smile.gif
Thanee
Right now it seems most games (at least the ones I am following) are going at an extremely slow rate (if at all).

Bye
Thanee
Aria
QUOTE (Thanee @ Feb 21 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Right now it seems most games (at least the ones I am following) are going at an extremely slow rate (if at all).

Bye
Thanee

Well as Sabs pointed out I'm happy to take on new players for Emerging Conflict at any time...we are averaging about 2 posts each a week at the moment (give or take)...
sabs
We were averaging about 1 post every 2 days or so.. but you had to go and do some combat wink.gif
Aria
QUOTE (sabs @ Feb 21 2011, 05:01 PM) *
We were averaging about 1 post every 2 days or so.. but you had to go and do some combat wink.gif

Yeah, if anyone has a good model for doing speedy pbp combat I'd be glad to hear it!!! Maybe I'll follow Seth's lead and get you to pregen 10 rolls or so for key actions and then I'll randomly pick which one to use with a die roller...?!?
BlackHat
One thing I have seen work sort of well is asking people to declare their actions up front (and go ahead with the relevant rolls, including initiative) and then the GM can resolve the order in a post once everyone has posted. Its more hindering than the real rules, because you can't react to something that happened RIGHT before your turn, and two people might end up targeting the same opponent, even though the first shot will kill it, but that's all probably more realistic, and the GM should be doing the same thing, so its workable if your group is willing to sacrifice a little reactivity for speed. Honestly, with combats at ~3 seconds per turn (less than that per initiative phase), I think its a bit more realistic that you don't have time to act based on everything else that is happening almost simultaneously, anyway.

The nice thing is, if you do something like that, is each round only takes as long as it takes each player to find time to post, once. The alternative is that when people find the time to check in, most of the time they end up being unable to post more than a few thoughts because they are waiting on someone else to post so that the turn can roll back around to their character.
Thanee
QUOTE (Aria @ Feb 21 2011, 06:58 PM) *
Yeah, if anyone has a good model for doing speedy pbp combat I'd be glad to hear it!!! Maybe I'll follow Seth's lead and get you to pregen 10 rolls or so for key actions and then I'll randomly pick which one to use with a die roller...?!?

I don't think that would help... people will still have to post their actions (and usually can roll at the same time, anyways).

Bye
Thanee
BlackHat
QUOTE (Thanee @ Feb 21 2011, 04:51 PM) *
I don't think that would help... people will still have to post their actions (and usually can roll at the same time, anyways).

It would help for things like trying to dodge an attack on someone else's turn, or resisting damage. That sort of stuff.
If your players trust you (and a dice roller) enough, you can always just roll for them and skip the whole pregenerated lists.

The problem is when the PC comes back and says, "Wait, I only missed that defense roll by 1 hit? I totally would have used edge back then." and then you have to redo some of the combat based on the new outcome.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Aria @ Feb 21 2011, 08:02 AM) *
Thankfully my Emerging game is romping along (although we seem to have some players that are AWOL already and had a couple of joiners midway through)...they might even complete their objective, eh Seth?!? smile.gif I like the sound of PorD but the thread is too daunting now to read through and try to join midway frown.gif

As to the grenade launcher, given the amount I paid for it I was hoping for some GM handwaiving as I thought that something that doesn't need to be too accurate could afford to be fired from a hareness connection (afterall the Ballista Missile System does...), so it isn't an official mod...hopefully that'll be ok as I don't have a plan B nyahnyah.gif

Hey, New characters don't have to know anything about what happened before they arrived wink.gif It works out pretty good.

edit: If anyone is interested, I have no reserve players for Post or Die. We average a new opening every month.
Aria
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Feb 22 2011, 02:48 AM) *
Hey, New characters don't have to know anything about what happened before they arrived wink.gif It works out pretty good.

edit: If anyone is interested, I have no reserve players for Post or Die. We average a new opening every month.

Well if this game implodes then I'd be interested...is there a character 'type' that would be useful at the moment? I've got more than enough of the different 'archetypes' floating around from Emerging NPCs (it seems that is where most of my PCs are coming from at the moment) smile.gif
gobogen
I'm up for anything, either with Preacher or not. Count me as interested for any of you guys' games.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012