Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun fluff, different system
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WyldKnight
So I have been contemplating running Shadowrun using the Eclipse Phase system. There are a lot of things I prefer about the system (the hacking rules for one) and it's kind of nice only needing a d10 for everything. As I thought about doing this and what work would need to be done to make it a reality I wondered if anyone had done something similar but not necessarily with EP. SR D20? SR Gurps? SR Traveller? Am I the only person who has thought about translating the Shadowrun fluff to a different kind of crunch?
ggodo
One guy I know tried to make it fit D20. Don't ever do this. You may have heard D20 is a trainwreck, but it's double trainwreck when you try to make Astral and Matrix function. Also no one can figure out how to make guns function in D20. Not even official publishers have made decent guns.
ShadowPavement
I've heard of some pretty good Savage Worlds conversions. Savage SR
jaellot
YES. I haven't managed to find a system conversion/tinker I'm pleased with, though.

You say Eclipse Phase is a single d10? Like the Unisystem of Eden Studios? That works deliciously with Buffy, may have to tinker with something similar.

Actually, I think I did that when I ran an SR LARP a few years back, had a few kinks, but worked well I think. Of course, I also drank a bottle of mead at the con one night, so I don't really remember much...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (jaellot @ Feb 19 2011, 07:17 PM) *
YES. I haven't managed to find a system conversion/tinker I'm pleased with, though.

You say Eclipse Phase is a single d10? Like the Unisystem of Eden Studios? That works deliciously with Buffy, may have to tinker with something similar.

Actually, I think I did that when I ran an SR LARP a few years back, had a few kinks, but worked well I think. Of course, I also drank a bottle of mead at the con one night, so I don't really remember much...

Eclipse Phase is Percentile, actually, so it tends to work best with 2d10... biggrin.gif
CanRay
But I want my mittfull of D6s!

Oh oh oh! D6 System!
Summerstorm
Hm, no never tried it. I am a big fan of "Gaming System" and "World" to be consistant and interwoven. Switching systems normaly leads to disasterous results or a complete mood or atmosphere change.

But when i think about it: Wushu (or my homebrew D10 version of it) would make for some cool one-shot Shadowrun rounds. Also the 7th-Sea system might work for Shadowrun... but mostly for just FUN cineastic runs and adventures... not for the grim, deadly world where every punk with a knife can kill just like that - even though even the 4th edition rules fall a bit short there too *g*.
ShadowPavement
I used a lite system called Explosions & Escapes to run an SR game at a con last month. It worked really great for that fast action movie feel I was going for.

It wouldn't work well for an ongoing game, but it's excellent for a one shot or a quick pickup game.
Kyoto Kid
...thinking of using CP with SR world fluff.

Tired of how powerful and messy magic is to deal with. For one, it kills intrigue as a a mage can team up with his or her magic group (or even a spirit) to do a ritual thus taking a lot of the fun out of having the team pick up on various clues and deduct what may have occurred. I already have developed a non-magical basis for Adepts (of course eliminating any powers directly associated with astral space or spellcasting) with Social Adepts becoming empaths and Physads, martial artists or athletes attuned to their inner ki, chi, mojo, spinichk, or what have you.

The one question is what to do about the metatypes? Places like the TT, nOg, Seattle Orc Underground, etc. would pretty much be be moot as everyone would be human or cyborg (Dunkie and Lofie being mere mortals?).

Without magic, having dragons around makes no sense. Instead of paracritters there would be mutant variants. The more I think about it the more rulesbashing I see I would need to do.

Did DL the Shadoowrun for Savage Worlds PDF
TheOOB
QUOTE (ggodo @ Feb 19 2011, 02:41 PM) *
One guy I know tried to make it fit D20. Don't ever do this. You may have heard D20 is a trainwreck, but it's double trainwreck when you try to make Astral and Matrix function. Also no one can figure out how to make guns function in D20. Not even official publishers have made decent guns.

I tried to do that once...it didn't work. That was back when I thought d20 was awesome(it's d20, not D20 fyi), and everything else sucked. I know better now. d20 is a good system if you like fantasy war games, which I do like, but not for fantasy-cyberpunk crime games.

I personally also prefer the fluff to be woven into the system.
Fyndhal
I think Feng Shui could be used quite nicely to show the more crazy pink mohawk style side of SR. smile.gif
ggodo
I just figured you'd capitalize the 'd' because Grammar, huh. The instance I recall was because no one wanted to learn a new system, so our DM made an attempt and it really failed. fortunately a lot of folks have come around to it recently. I think d20 is good at combat focused fantasy, but no one can make guns work in that system. It just isn't guns.
Kronk2
Well you could have some crazy fun with Anima there, BUT there would be ALOT of rebuilding to do. (unless you don't ever plan on using the matrix) Drones would be ok because there is a summoning system that does just fine, thank you, for that.
Ascalaphus
I think if I had to pick any other game system to play SR in, it'd have to be a more lightweight system. SR is already quite topheavy.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Fyndhal @ Feb 21 2011, 11:02 PM) *
I think Feng Shui could be used quite nicely to show the more crazy pink mohawk style side of SR. smile.gif

This is an awesome choice, as it works quite well. Though I still prefer Feng Shui for Star Wars...
Megu
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Feb 22 2011, 05:09 AM) *
I think if I had to pick any other game system to play SR in, it'd have to be a more lightweight system. SR is already quite topheavy.

I agree. Honestly something Tri-Stat based comes to mind. I'd say Ex-Machina with some cribbing from BESM for the magic aspects.
Bira
I use GURPS. It does the things SR wants to do better than SR itself.
Cheops
Warhammer 3rd Edition works surprisingly well for Shadowrun. Complex events like hacking can be handled in one roll of the dice. About the only complaint is that the odds of success/failure aren't as transparent as the SR system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012