Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sixth World Wiki
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
saint jude
When will the wiki be back up, does anyone know???
CanRay
< Skywalker >NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!< /Skywalker >
saint jude
LMAO, ok that answers that silly question biggrin.gif
Darkraven
Yes, when will the wiki be back online?
Redjack
At this moment, there are no plans to restore the wiki. That said, it is something I'd like to see done... just no plans at the moment.
Wordman
The message there currently says it is "down for updates/maintanence/trying to solve the spam situation".

Without knowing what this situation is, it's hard to say if this will help, but there may be a less drastic solution than turning the thing off: just shut off all new user creation entirely (add a "$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;" to the settings file). This would at least allow people to see the pages, and existing users to edit.

I do this with my own MediaWiki and have never had a spam problem.
Redjack
Its actually a little more dramatic than that. The wiki database was ported on the last server move, but the wiki website was not.
Belvidere
QUOTE (Redjack @ Mar 28 2011, 12:11 PM) *
Its actually a little more dramatic than that. The wiki database was ported on the last server move, but the wiki website was not.

So was it just the domain name that was lost? Or the layout and everything else?
Redjack
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Mar 28 2011, 01:38 PM) *
So was it just the domain name that was lost? Or the layout and everything else?
The domain name is our sub domain, no problem there. The layout is gone, unless that's stored in the database.
Belvidere
QUOTE (Redjack @ Mar 28 2011, 04:57 PM) *
The domain name is our sub domain, no problem there. The layout is gone, unless that's stored in the database.

So unless the layout is stored someone just needs to lay it all out again. As hefty as a task as that is. Hmm..
Wordman
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Mar 29 2011, 02:34 PM) *
So unless the layout is stored someone just needs to lay it all out again. As hefty as a task as that is. Hmm..

But... that isn't actually a hefty task, is it? From what I remember, it looked pretty much like the standard MediaWiki skin. And, even if there was some custom skin, all the content is in the database anyway, so the standard MediaWiki skin should display it pretty well. Better than "not at all", at any rate. The MediaWiki stores very little in the hosted files. Nearly everything is in the database. For example, I routinely completely destroy the files of my MediaWiki directory and upgrade to fresh, new code. Then I just point it to the old database and it works fine. Only real trick is making sure the settings are the same and that any added plugins are also installed (though, the site will still largely work even without the old plugins).
Adam
RedJack, I'm not sure where you're getting your info from. No data is lost. I just have absolutely no free time to deal with properly fixing things right now; but I'll look into some suggested duct-tape solutions this week.
Redjack
QUOTE (Adam @ Mar 29 2011, 01:59 PM) *
RedJack, I'm not sure where you're getting your info from. No data is lost. I just have absolutely no free time to deal with properly fixing things right now; but I'll look into some suggested duct-tape solutions this week.
Didn't say any data was lost. The database is there. There is no code. Also said I didn't have time to take it any farther.
Adam
The code is absolutely there. Trust me, I was the one that disabled it when the spam got too awful recently. smile.gif
Stahlseele
Ah, communication and organisation, the big no no's in nerd dom *snickers*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012