Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emerging Conflict - Second Phase Recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Aria
NEW PLAYERS NEEDED TO BOLSTER AN ONGOING GAME - BIG GUNS, HIGH MAGIC AND WEIRD TECH...!

...I've got 2-3 very regular posters on this game but some new blood is always welcome and we are at a good point to introduce some new players.

The initial character gen rules/briefing is here:
[ Spoiler ]

IC Thread: Here
OoC Thread: Here

There's the potential to play Deepwatch relief forces or substitute yourselves for NPCs that are already in on the action. Alternatively you could play members of the Stillwater Community frantically defending themselves against the intruders?!?

Any questions please let me know!
sabs
preferably play on our side wink.gif

We're looking for an Active Officer type to take over. Our current officers have the lifespan of gnats in a Mosquito Zapper Showroom.

We've got Heavies.. we've got Techheads.. but we could seriously use some Officer Love.
Seth
I've very much enjoyed this game: its the only one that I have played on dump shock that has kept going, and the plot is as interesting as many pnp games that I play in. The NPCs are interesting, not one dimensional and I am keen to get deeper into the complex.

Sabs is correct about wanting officer love. Joshua and I are raw grunts, and Sabs is now in charge. Our officers are in trouble: the captain is having a bad day having lost a fight with some psychotropic black IC, and others are falling to snipers.

BlackHat
I've been keeping an eye on this thread (the mission briefing looked like an interesting take on the emergence events, and a lot of work/detail went into it)
I think that digging through the existing threads is a daunting task, but if you guys are still looking and willing to help catch someone up to speed, I may be up for it (and I think others might, if it didn't seem to daunting). I'll see if I can put something reasonable together and bounce it off you guys in the next day to get the ball rolling in any case.

I am curious what resources (books) are available (it sounds like a lot of the stuff in War! would be right up this game's alley - particularly the gear and some of the uses of Leadership in combat settings).

It sounds like you have heavies/combat and techies/matrix, and need an officer/face but do we have any magical support?
Seth
@Black Hat: It would be nice to have you along! I joined half way through and found it a challenge...but in character I joined half way through so it was OK for me not to know everything.

@Aria: can you post a summary of where everyone is and what the known enemy forces are?
BlackHat
Yeah, I think the difficulty goes up if you guys are recruiting for an officer to take charge of an operation that he will be walking into blind.
Its probably worth a summary (either from Aria through an NPC that would be sending this officer in, or from the PCs once the officer gets there) to catch him up to speed.

I don't have enough RL military/mercinary knowledge to know if this sort of thing is common, or not. Can't help but draw parallels to software development projects that switch management mid-project... except, you know, people's lives are probably on the line.
mister__joshua
If you're looking for more than one character then I'm also interested and looking for a game

Let me know what you're after character wise

Cheers

Josh
sabs
We have a Rigger/techhead, a Voodoo Possession Tradition mage, and a Robocop.
So we're really wide open.
Seth
Be nice to have you along Mr joshua. Amusingly one of the players (BigFella) has a character called Joshua (named after the Dark Angel character).

My view: I think you can play anything you want. We have plenty of NPCs who do useful stuff so pick a character you like.
mister__joshua
Cool. Well I haven't actually read the game threads yet so I should probably do that before I come up with a character idea, unless anyone wants to do a brief synopsis for me? wink.gif
I think it could be quite fun to come in to a game and not know much of what has gone before
I, rightly or wrongly, tend to read forums and post at work, so should be quite frequent on weekdays at least
sabs
that's my posting pattern as well. I almost never post on weekends.

What's going on is that we are Deep Watch, a Mercenary Company. We're under contract to approach and evaluate the Stillwater Community and determine if they are housing "Technomancers" in league with "Sojourner". We approached, they have powers over machines that is impressive. We've had serious issues, losing all our officers. They're clearly /evil/ smile.gif no.. really.. I swear.. Terrorists.

We might have killed a few people, but we were clearly provoked.
Aria
HQ have lost contact with the expeditionary force (twice) and the squad that was sent in to see what the hell's going on...I was thinking that any new players might be part of a troop that was diverted from another mission and consequently has no time for a briefing other than a basic "find out what the hell has gone wrong...!!!"

On character gen, the others have captured it nicely - there's room for anything people enjoy playing (after all we have a 'robin hood' fomori in heavy milspec armour...!) and plenty of NPC opposition that it won't matter if there's elements of duplication. If you create a normal 400BP character then there's room afterwards for requisitions of gear from WAR! if that's what floats your boat smile.gif

Currently the group are split in two (and have lost contact with one group), the remaining PCs are gathered on lvl 3 of the tower ready for a push (and I mean PUSH!) into hostile territory...and much to his regret Master Sgt "Sticks" is in charge smile.gif I'm not sure how military protocols would normally work but in this case I think any new officers turning up would defer to Sticks until they has time to get up to speed and as Sabs has been here from the start that works quite nicely (and don't worry, the current PCs have only a little more understanding of the situation than any new comers ork.gif )

...Oh, and I'm mostly a weekday at work poster too so no problems there...
BlackHat
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Mar 9 2011, 02:45 PM) *
If you're looking for more than one character then I'm also interested and looking for a game

I'll be working on something, but I'm not calling dibs or anything. smile.gif

I doubt I'll even have anything to look at until tomorrow evening (busy most of tonight).
mister__joshua
I'm gonna attempt to make a character today. Are there any particular restrictions on source books, Runner's Companion characters (eg. Shifters, SURGE, HMHVV, Dracos) or Positive / Negative qualities I should know about?

I've had a look at the map of Stillwater. Very nicely done btw. I've also looked over the initial mission brief. How far through it are you? Also, there's much talk of a tower, and a picture that I didn't fully understand....

This is my first time pbp. I'll try my best, but my formatting and such may go awry till I get used to it, particularly if I post by phone, so apologies.

My initial idea, given what has been said, is to make an Officer type character. I'm thinking somewhere between Neil Patrick Harris from Starship Troopers and a WH40k style Commissar? Not a great combatant, but a tactician and with a gritty determination. I don't own War! so may need a few little pointers on the cool Leadership uses I heard mentioned
I agree that any new officer coming in shouldn't initially take charge, and I'm more than happy to try and get up to speed taking a back seat, though IC any officer may not like taking orders smile.gif

That said, if this character doesn't seem appropriate or is treading on anyone's toes I can think up something else

Ta
Aria
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Mar 10 2011, 09:51 AM) *
I'm gonna attempt to make a character today. Are there any particular restrictions on source books, Runner's Companion characters (eg. Shifters, SURGE, HMHVV, Dracos) or Positive / Negative qualities I should know about?

I've had a look at the map of Stillwater. Very nicely done btw. I've also looked over the initial mission brief. How far through it are you? Also, there's much talk of a tower, and a picture that I didn't fully understand....

This is my first time pbp. I'll try my best, but my formatting and such may go awry till I get used to it, particularly if I post by phone, so apologies.

My initial idea, given what has been said, is to make an Officer type character. I'm thinking somewhere between Neil Patrick Harris from Starship Troopers and a WH40k style Commissar? Not a great combatant, but a tactician and with a gritty determination. I don't own War! so may need a few little pointers on the cool Leadership uses I heard mentioned
I agree that any new officer coming in shouldn't initially take charge, and I'm more than happy to try and get up to speed taking a back seat, though IC any officer may not like taking orders smile.gif

That said, if this character doesn't seem appropriate or is treading on anyone's toes I can think up something else

Ta

Idea sounds good to me...although I've allowed some SURGE stuff in the past I think I would prefer 'vanilla' characters who aren't using surge for some game benefits rather than roleplaying benefits. That said, if you can justify (very loosely) why DW would hire you then go for it smile.gif

Bascially if you have the book then we can probably work with it (I think I have most of them, just don't have the time to re-read them all nyahnyah.gif)
Thanee
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Mar 10 2011, 09:51 AM) *
...and a WH40k style Commissar?

As long as you do not shoot your team-mates to... err... motivate them. grinbig.gif

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Right now I am quite ok with my games here, even though some really seem to have died or are extreeeeemly slow. So I am just watching this space for now. smile.gif
Aria
QUOTE (Thanee @ Mar 10 2011, 10:50 AM) *
P.S. Right now I am quite ok with my games here, even though some really seem to have died or are extreeeeemly slow. So I am just watching this space for now. smile.gif

Any time you feel like joining us just put something up in the OoC thread smile.gif
mister__joshua
Hi. My character is mostly done. I'm just doing equipment and I was wondering about availability. Is it standard 12 availability or higher? I only ask as it seems to be quite a high tech campaign with requisitioned tech and such. I was after a skillwire system. I could get a rating 3 one, but would pay to 4 or 5 if allowed smile.gif

I would have pm'd this but I think I'm still on probation
Thanee
There is always the Restricted Gear quality in case 12 is the limit. smile.gif

Depending on what you have (Wired Reflexes + Skillwires) the Move-by-Wire System might also be worth a look as it combines the two into one (plus some Reaction Enhancers for good measure). The Level 2 is quite nice (but AV 18, I think, so it requires Restricted Gear to be taken).

Bye
Thanee
Aria
Yep, would prefer normal 400BP characters for comparision purposes so restricted gear qualities are a good idea for cyber...other gear (like REALLY BIG GUNS) are more a candidate for requisitions...

Thanee...you'd be welcome to bring your character along from the Africa game if you wanted (once you have a time slot for another pbp)...Requiem is an NPC on the opposition so might be interesting smile.gif
sabs
When I made Sticks:

I made a regular rigger, with a couple of personal drones, and a personal vehicle

Then I requisitioned a bunch of other crap smile.gif that cost several million nuyen. The Sultan, my extra drones.. etc.

Like, I wouldn't pay for MilSpec armor with points, but cyber.. I would.

mister__joshua
Ah right, ok then smile.gif

Here's a question cos I'm struggling to fit everything in. Could I requisition Skillsofts? It's software, rather than cyber. I liked the idea of having a bunch of skillsofts that can be switched between to 'plug a hole' so to speak in the group. Eg. having a few tech skills or pilot skills on chips so that they can be called when needed. I can't buy more than 2 though cos at 10,000 a level I quickly eat up all my money.

Other than finishing touches and balancing a few nuyen here with a build point there I'm nearly finished. Is there a format for posting it?

Ta
Aria
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Mar 10 2011, 05:01 PM) *
Ah right, ok then smile.gif

Here's a question cos I'm struggling to fit everything in. Could I requisition Skillsofts? It's software, rather than cyber. I liked the idea of having a bunch of skillsofts that can be switched between to 'plug a hole' so to speak in the group. Eg. having a few tech skills or pilot skills on chips so that they can be called when needed. I can't buy more than 2 though cos at 10,000 a level I quickly eat up all my money.

Other than finishing touches and balancing a few nuyen here with a build point there I'm nearly finished. Is there a format for posting it?

Ta

I think I'm happy with this provided the character stands alone at 400BPs and doesn't rely on the skillsofts to function - in other words if they add a secondary combat skill, fine, if they are your only combat skill then not fine nyahnyah.gif

No format for posting, (providing I can understand it) so please whack something into the OoC thread!

Welcome aboard!!!
mister__joshua
It's nice to be involved!

It'll probably be tomorrow before I post my character now, but if i get chance later I will do
BlackHat
What do people's dice pools look like? I'm having trouble picking up all of the skills that I think a veteran soldier or merc might have (if you guys are looking for a leader/officier type), but I'm having trouble doing so without having like 1 rank in every skill. I'll probably end up consolidating down to a few essentials, but I'd be curious what sort of dicepools people are throwing around to make sure I don't come in less fit to do the job than the people already there. wink.gif

Also, have you guys invested a lot of BP in contacts? It seems like it would be unlikely that we would be able to make much use of them (especially if we're cut off from HQ) but I don't want to skimp on them too much, especially since a character with experience leading mercs should have a few connections (at least in that organization). What do you guys think?
BlackHat
Also, since Joshua submitted a character who would make a good leader-type, maybe I can lay off of some of the leadership aspects, which would let me not spread skills so thin. wink.gif
sabs
check out our charactesr, they're around here somewhere.

I'm throwing 15's or so for my key skills, and 8-9's for most other basic stuff.

mister__joshua
Oops, Sorry!

I didn't know if you were making a leader type character or not cos you mentioned making a magic user I think?
Sorry. If you've made one already I can make a different char.

I really had to pick and choose my skills, and tried to fluff-away the ones I was missing with a thin back story nyahnyah.gif
I'll try and pick up a few skillsofts to make up for it though, like Automatics and Negotiate, maybe a tech or pilot skill...
Aria
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Mar 11 2011, 04:25 PM) *
Oops, Sorry!

I didn't know if you were making a leader type character or not cos you mentioned making a magic user I think?

The more officers the better! See my post in the OoC thread smile.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Mar 11 2011, 10:25 AM) *
Oops, Sorry!

I really had to pick and choose my skills, and tried to fluff-away the ones I was missing with a thin back story nyahnyah.gif
I'll try and pick up a few skillsofts to make up for it though, like Automatics and Negotiate, maybe a tech or pilot skill...

No worries. I'm not too far along, and your character looks good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012