Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Call of Duty: World at War
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Tanegar
This is my first foray into the Call of Duty series, and as the title implies, I really only bought it for the Nazi Zombies mode. They're the perfect shooter antagonists: you can blast them into tiny wriggling bits all the live-long day and never feel a twinge of remorse, because A) they're flesh-eating undead abominations that aren't smart enough to have redeeming or sympathetic qualities, and B), they are (or were) soldiers of an organization that is a strong contender for the title of "Most Evil Regime Ever." Anybody else love killing undead German fascists?
Brazilian_Shinobi
Didn't play this one, but as far as I know, this is the game before Black Ops.
Now, I really, REALLY, REALLY liked Modern Warfare, both of them.
CanRay
I tried Black Ops Zombie Mode, but the online multiplayer rarely worked, and Kennedy kept getting shot in the head in the few times it did work...
Tanegar
Ooh! Daddy likes him a BAR. Brain salad, anyone? biggrin.gif
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Mar 12 2011, 08:45 PM) *
Didn't play this one, but as far as I know, this is the game before Black Ops.
Now, I really, REALLY, REALLY liked Modern Warfare, both of them.

Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Thanee
Wasn't World at War the "crappy" one made from another developer? Or am I mixing things up here...

Bye
Thanee
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Mar 14 2011, 09:59 AM) *
Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops

I meant in the scenario's chronological order. Where Black Ops is a few years after World at War (with recurring characters), just like MW2 is the one after MW.
Tanegar
Anybody else find David Hayter's performance as Dempsey hilarious? I keep waiting for him to say, "Metal Gear?!"
Tanegar
Dude, I just managed to activate the Pack-a-Punch machine on Der Riese... solo. cyber.gif
Tanegar
New personal best: 22 rounds on Der Riese, 79,660 points, 500-some-odd kills.
Wounded Ronin
I am concerned about my zombie headshotting abilities.

From another forum, I wrote,

Normally I participate in steel shooting, but this was bullseye shooting. 35 seconds, 12 rounds, 1 reload. 3 times at 15, 12, and 7 yards. I think the target is just a standard pistol qualification target. I scored 333 out of a possible 360 and felt very disappointed because I had done better in practice.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2w2h8c9.jpg
Tanegar
What's steel shooting? And what's this "corporate challenge?"
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Mar 26 2011, 08:06 PM) *
What's steel shooting? And what's this "corporate challenge?"

In steel shooting you shoot 5 metal plates and you are scored on time. It gets you really good at weapon handling and clearing malfunctions. I shoot in non-affiliated steel matches in Las Vegas.

Here's a wikipedia article on affiliated steel matches: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Challenge

Competitors are scored based solely on the time it takes them to shoot each stage. The last target that is shot is known as the "stop plate", which stops the timer. All primary target hits made after the stop plate has been struck, will be scored with a 3 second penalty each. The maximum time permitted for a run is 30 seconds and a competitor will be stopped and asked to reload if they reach the 30 second limit. Each competitor shoots each stage five times, with their slowest run dropped, excluding the stage Outer Limits where only four runs are shot and the top three counted. The competitor's best four out of five runs are totaled for their stage score and the eight stage scores are added together to establish the competitor's match score. The winner is the competitor with the lowest overall time.

You can probably see it on YouTube.

The Corporate Challenge is a big annual competition in Las Vegas between all the local companies who send their employees to compete in a variety of events. I participated in the range shooting event.

raben-aas
I love shooting undead Nazis. However, since I am living in Germany, I am not allowed to do so.

Puzzled? Me too.

As a prime example of a good intention that backfires, it's forbidden to show certain Nazi symbols here, including the swastika. (I don't know if they think the swastika somehow hypnotizes Germans and gets them to invade neighboring countries, but that's the law, and since it applies regardless of context I am not allowed to shoot at Nazis – undead or living – and instead am forced to fire on zombies and soldiers who belong to some poor unnamed faction that has a cross or triangle as a flag (or in this case: an eagle and a cross)). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpcxaKDad2E

hyzmarca
QUOTE (raben-aas @ Mar 28 2011, 10:44 AM) *
I love shooting undead Nazis. However, since I am living in Germany, I am not allowed to do so.

Puzzled? Me too.

As a prime example of a good intention that backfires, it's forbidden to show certain Nazi symbols here, including the swastika. (I don't know if they think the swastika somehow hypnotizes Germans and gets them to invade neighboring countries, but that's the law, and since it applies regardless of context I am not allowed to shoot at Nazis – undead or living – and instead am forced to fire on zombies and soldiers who belong to some poor unnamed faction that has a cross or triangle as a flag (or in this case: an eagle and a cross)). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpcxaKDad2E

You're playing in an alternate history where Kaiser Wilhelm II remained in power after WWI, obviously. Thus you're fighting the German Empire.
Sengir
QUOTE (raben-aas @ Mar 28 2011, 02:44 PM) *
but that's the law, and since it applies regardless of context I am not allowed to shoot at Nazis

and where the law does care about context, it becomes even more preposterous. Movies are generally considered art, hence Salon Kitty can include swastikas by the dozen. A WWII flight sim is less artful than Nazi-themed women-in-prison flicks, so swastikas on tail fins are banned in this case.
Stahlseele
Ilsa-She Wolf of the SS?
CanRay
Werewolf Women of the SS?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012