Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D&D Spell Management Software
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Socinus
So a buddy of mine decided to try and run a Gestalt D&D 3.5 game.

Excellent, I thought, I'll try a Sorcerer/Wizard.

Unfortunately I'm now struggling to keep track of all the damn spells. Does anyone know of any computer software that works for 3.5 or that I can add custom spells to and are compatible with the mana system?

(Yes, we use mana instead of spells-per-day)
Yerameyahu
I mean, a list isn't enough? A fancy one, with two whole columns. wink.gif What functions exactly do you need?
Socinus
I'm dealing with over 20 spells per day I can cast and I have to go scrambling through books to find them when necessary. Even notating page numbers, its still a little slow. Then I have to re-organize them when resting which takes forever.

It would be nice to have a program where you could have two windows; one being a list of spells that you manually input all the details and description for, and the other displaying that information when clicked on as well as a function to flag the spells you've prepared. It would simply make things faster when dealing with a lot of bookkeeping
Yerameyahu
Ah. You need *three* columns. I'm not making fun of you; I really think the ideal solution is a spreadsheet (Name, Effect, Mana Cost, Prep'd, maybe Page Ref). Use Google Docs.
KarmaInferno
Try the SpellForge spreadsheet from here?

It's like a year since the last update but it should work.

-k
Wordman
Since you didn't specify what operating system you use, I'll just assume you use a Mac. Try SpellbookMaster.
Tiralee
I'd try and find a copy of ema's spell list from "somewhere" (the wayback machine should be able to help you)
46 pages of annotated spells, just print off the sheet/classes you use and mark the ones you know. And then try and persuade your DM that, yes, you can have this one at level 3.

_Tir
Socinus
QUOTE (Wordman @ Apr 16 2011, 01:47 PM) *
Since you didn't specify what operating system you use, I'll just assume you use a Mac. Try SpellbookMaster.

I'm using a PC.

I'm trying to create my own at this point, fighting with Microsoft Access, but it isnt going well.
Yerameyahu
Try Excel before trying Access. Unless you're making something to sell. smile.gif
Socinus
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 22 2011, 06:52 PM) *
Try Excel before trying Access. Unless you're making something to sell. smile.gif

I tried using Excel, but I dont have a good grasp on Excel anymore. Not that my Access skills are any better.
Grinder
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Apr 18 2011, 07:34 AM) *
I'd try and find a copy of ema's spell list from "somewhere" (the wayback machine should be able to help you)
46 pages of annotated spells, just print off the sheet/classes you use and mark the ones you know. And then try and persuade your DM that, yes, you can have this one at level 3.

_Tir

Would it be legal if you upload it to a hoster and share the URL with us?
BishopMcQ
Check out: http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/index.php

It even has a CSV file with all of the spells. http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/AlexSpells.php

You can upload it into Excel and sort, or kick it as a datasource into Access after making your GUI.
Thanee
QUOTE (Socinus @ Apr 15 2011, 10:10 PM) *
Excellent, I thought, I'll try a Sorcerer/Wizard.

Heh. Was only one of those not enough arcane spells for you? grinbig.gif

Bye
Thanee
Yerameyahu
Yeah, you should mix it up. Why no divine or psionic casters in there?
BishopMcQ
meh, there are some really degenerate gestalt builds that have full BAB, strong Saves for everything, get three stats to your AC and hit, plus spellcasting. Having two arcane casting classes is really mild by comparison.
Yerameyahu
Not in terms of munchkinism (sorry, 'charop'), in terms of *fun*. Divine or psionic means whole new lists of tricks, instead of doubling up on one. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012