Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do awakened characters outshine unawakened?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 19 2011, 05:33 PM) *
How do you regain essence? Tell fish stories with excessive embellishment until no one can deny that you're quite the character?

There is a Gene Treatment that will restore lost essence. It is expensive and takes a long time (0.1 Essence Regained per Month, and 20,000 Nuyen/Month after the first month, which costs 70,000 Nuyen).

You really must read Augmentation (along with Arsenal, Unwired and Street Magic). Doing so would answer so many of your questions. biggrin.gif
longbowrocks
I have read augmentation, but not front to back. I generally skip sections, but I now remember that I glanced at that passage.
Here are the books I've spent some time with, from most read to least read:
  1. SR 4A pre errata
  2. Runners Companion
  3. Augmentation
  4. Arsenal
  5. SR 4A post errata
  6. War!
  7. Street magic
  8. Attitude

I hadn't even glanced at those last two until yesterday (or today, for attitude).
Yerameyahu
It really shows. wink.gif
ggodo
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Apr 19 2011, 05:35 PM) *
I never understood why some GMs are fine with mages running arond with a Magic attribute of 12, but would violently object to a cyberzombie PC.

The only thing I can think of is that the mage can hide his talents better, while the cyberzombie is pretty much a walking haze of ick.
PoliteMan
QUOTE (Irion @ Apr 20 2011, 02:37 AM) *
How are you going to compare a hacker to a mage?

How do you want to?

I don't want to turn this into Hacker v Mage, more as a proof of concept, so let me me briefly back up and explain how I think each archetype can stand up to the mage.

Hackers: In a wireless world, hackers can manipulate basically any technology. Agents, replicating Worms, and botnets all allow the hacker to manipulate massive amounts of technology (limited basically by the GM and GOD at a certain point). Those require time and resources but with a year and a million nuyen the amount of manipulation you can do is immense. Their abilities are further boosted by the fact that agents and worms can use the same programs, like Exploit, that the hacker uses for himself, specially when you consider that something like rating 10 Stealth is easily achievable at this level. So if you want every car in the city to turn left on Monday at 3:01 and you have replicating worms with Stealth 10, you can.

Riggers have the same basic advantage as hackers, except they only manipulate drones and usually only the drones they own. However, at that level, a rigger can basically have aerial drones patrolling the whole city and an armored company of vehicles and drones rolling down the street. Additionally, they can easily have multiple drones specialized for every situation.

Faces will have tons of contacts and the persuasiveness to get them to do almost anything. I'm not sure whether you allow Faces to get new contacts through karma, roleplaying, money, or some combination of the three but at this level a face should have a booklet of contacts, many in very influential positions. In a very real sense they can do anything because they're best friends with the best hacker, the best mage, the best sam, the best whatever is needed and if they don't know they guy you need, they know a guy who knows that guy.

In a sense, all these mundane archetypes use the same strategy. They can't match a Mage, or a Sam or Adept to an extent, in the pure amount of power in one person. They make up for it by controlling lots of less powerful things to match or exceed the abilities of a mage. Quantity, after all, has a quality all of it's own.
Yerameyahu
But, none of those is incompatible with being a mage (especially the Face). Hacker and rigger are pretty non-optimal (especially when you can do spirits instead of drones), but a mage with trodes and some expensive programs is just about as good. Skill is the only difference, and it's only a handful of skills. (And, as above, we're using 'mage' to mean 'awakened characters'; no reason hacker adepts and rigger adepts aren't better than mundanes.)

I'm not saying the mage (even with 'crazy high karma') has enough to do all of these. But he can easily do any of them at least as well, plus all the unique mage tricks.
PoliteMan
Totally agree Y

Yes, I totally agree, the ability of awakened characters to use everything a mundane can, even if they pay a significant price, gives any awakened character a significant advantage. A mage can buy a couple drones and play mini-rigger but the reverse is not true. Also, while playing a mundane rigger is nice, an Awakened rigger will probably be better, especially after a couple adventures.

I feel like there's two discussions here and I have two seemingly contradictory opinions.

#1 Do mages outshine everyone else?
No, mages are powerhouses but they're not the only ones.

#2 Do the Awakened in general outshine mundanes?
Yep. It's hard to think of something that magic wouldn't somehow improve.

in other words,
It's not the mages, it's the adepts/mysads!
Yerameyahu
It's just such a pain to type 'Awakened characters' every time. smile.gif I agree, it's already been the mysads. Projection is a great trick, but still.
Fortinbras
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 19 2011, 10:29 PM) *
I'm not saying the mage (even with 'crazy high karma') has enough to do all of these. But he can easily do any of them at least as well, plus all the unique mage tricks.

By that logic, a hacker can just accumulate 30 Karma and buy the Magician Quality. Now he can easily do all the things a mage can do, plus all the unique hacker tricks. You could say "But now he's a mage," but I maintain that if a mage gets enough tech to be a at least as good as a hacker, then he becomes a Hacker.
The idea that a mage can do everything anyone else does is presupposing that the mage part of him trumps the others. If he has enough tech to be as good a hacker as a normal hacker build, then whose to say he isn't a hacker with magic, as opposed to a mage with a whiz commlink.

If mages or any Awakened are taking over your group, you need to start GMing with the mage in mind. Most runs don't use nearly enough magical resistance compared to Matrix or Street Sam countermeasures, which is where everyone go this idea that playing a mage is the "I Win" button of Shadowrun.
I think this idea came from either number crunching without playtesting, or lazy GMs who don't know how to use BC and Spirits of Man.

In any event, if your first session of character generation involves telling your players "Anyone who plays something other than a mage is an idiot." then you are doing it wrong!
Seerow
Re: The Feywear, what exactly is the point of it?

It lets you get a positive quality put into your clothes, but you have to pay a ton of money AND karma for it... where (unless this was also erratad out in a newer version of the book) you can just gain new positive qualities by paying that same amount of karma. Yes, the book says the GM should award the qualities where they make sense blah blah, but Attitude also says that the GM should consider the impact that feyweave will have on his game before allowing a character to get it, so you're having to go through the GM in either scenario to get the quality... it's just with this you have to be wearing specific clothes and pay a bunch of money on top of it.

As to the actual topic: The biggest complaint I have with magical characters is that they do have so much that can't be replicated. As a couple other people have said, there is no concept in the game that couldn't be made better with a splash of magic added to the character for that little extra edge. How much magic you want will vary from character to character, but having magic is always going to be strictly better than not having magic. It also doesn't help that you can't pick up magic post character gen, so if you think there's any chance your character will want some form of magic to complement his skillset somewhere down the line, you want to have at the very least one of the awakened qualities, and just enough magic to not be burnt out with whatever wares you want.

Some things being exclusively magic is okay. Indeed, it's even expected. After all, what kind of mundane effect could turn someone to goo? Or take over someone's mind? But on the other hand, if that's the way it is, you should have more things that are unique to mundanes, and possibly limit the stacking between similar mundane/magical things. After all, why be a Mundane face and just have Tailored Pheromones, when I could be a Mystic Adept Face, who has Tailored Pheromones, Kinescis, Imp Social Skill, Commanding Voice, Cool Resolve, and the ability to cast Increase Attribute (Charisma)? Yes, you probably won't be able to do all of that at character creation, but you could do most of it, and could have all of it within 50-100 karma.

I mean, even a hacker/rigger benefits from dipping into being an adept. You get a couple of cool initiation powers that can help out, and imp tech/vehicle skills to bump your skills above the natural maximums.

Mages themselves are a different story. They're far less dippable, so they don't scream "take this to help out any possible build ever!", but they are still very strong in their own right. While they can be used for complementing other roles (again, the Increase Attribute spell is amazing and is the only way to boost several stats outside of drugs, and there's several spells that support stealthing, gunslinging, etc), Mage's really stick out moreso in what they can do on their own. Their counterspelling is pretty much the only thing that will keep their team as a whole standing when facing other mages, since direct spells have no mundane way to protect against except for very expensive qualities. They can basically spam stunbolt/stunball/manabolt without much fear of drain at all. They can maintain 4 initiative passes with a single spell (can use a force 4 sustaining focus which is relatively cheap to keep it up cheaply). They can turn people to goo, stone, or animals, their pick. They can turn themselves into a critter and wade into melee (not that this really has any benefit in shadowrun, but it is possible, and is an easy way for mages to overcome their typical physical weakness). They can turn invisible and fly. About the only thing a mage can't do is teleport/time travel. The majority of the things listed are things that mages are typically capable of doing competently starting at character generation.

Drain, the mage's intended limiting factor, is pretty easily negated. Between Increase Attribute, and Centering (most mages' first metamagic), and a Centering Focus, it's not really out of the question for a mage to be able to just shrug off drain values as high as 6-8 even at relatively low karma levels. Even a starting mid-op mage should be able to shrug off 4, which covers most force 5-7 spells. With higher karma levels (ie the 400ish karma discussed in this topic) 40 or so drain resist dice isn't out of the question.

And this doesn't even touch on spirits, astral perception, or astral projection, all of which are pretty closely hoarded by the mages, and made prohibitively costly for other characters to touch. (Seriously, a full power point for astral perception? That's ridiculous). These are things that for the most part nobody else has an equivalent to, and Mages give up next to nothing for access to it.

Anyway, at this point I'm more or less rambling, so I'm going to shut up and go to sleep now.
Irion
40 or so drain resist dice isn't out of the question.

How do you want to get 40 dices for resisting drain. A character would need to be optimized to get there
Irion
40 or so drain resist dice isn't out of the question.

How do you want to get 40 dices for resisting drain. A character would need to be optimized to get there
Medicineman
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 19 2011, 10:58 PM) *
...... smile.gif I agree, it's already been the mysads. Projection is a great trick, but still.

Try the Astral Adept (its an Idea from Dumpshock) smile.gif

with an Astral Dance
Medicineman
Udoshi
Off the top of my head?

Assuming hermetic(Will+Log)
Cerebral boosters
Dareadrenaline ( i think. Whichever is)
activated pain editors
Any drug that adds to either WP or Log.
Trauma damper reduces stun drain by 1, after the soak.
Centering metamagic
Some more from the semi-expensive quality that adds to drain resistance.
I think there's a spirit pact that helps here, but I don't recall the exact name.
Bear Mentor MIGHT help, depending on whether your GM lets the +2 physical resist work when Overcasting(which is physical. in this case, also platelet factories).
Random optimizing with attribute mins and maxes with metatypes(mostly dwarf), HMHVV(some give bonuses to mental stats), and SURGE(particularly metagenetic improvement), and the genetic optimization geneware.

I'm not sure 40 is feasable, but you can hella stack stuff that helps with drain.

Did i miss anything?

Seerow
QUOTE (Irion @ Apr 20 2011, 05:06 AM) *

We're talking about a 400 karma character to get to the 40 dice pool. I was thinking something like a grade 10 initiate (which is 163 of the 400 karma), with a say moderate force 6 Centering Focus (36 more karma), and a quickened Imp Attribute Logic/Willpower (force 5, getting both stats to the 9 maximum) is up to 206 karma spent, and has 34 dice to throw at drain resist already. Bumping that focus up to Force 12 (we can have up to force 30 in foci bound, more if magic gets raised above 6 at all) it gets the 40 I specified, but that's investing pretty heavily. Udoshi listed plenty of other ways to resist drain further without needing such a high force foci, but most don't actually add to the dice pool, but rather just lets you shrug off drain.

The quickening is pretty rough if your GM is prone to dispelling. If that's the case you can instead opt towards sustaining foci (again counting towards that max force though), or quickening it at a much higher force. For example overcast to force 10 and put in the doubled karma, and roll 26+ (the + being any extra magic or power focii) dice on any counterspelling test, and make the person attempting to dispell it most likely have to eat physical drain with most likely far fewer dice to resist than you. (actually at force 10 it's still only 3 drain, so bump that overcasting on up to say force 16, making the drain 6P, something you can shrug off easily, but anyone looking to dispell you will likely need to worry about. And after eating a few points of physical drain without getting any net successes towards dispelling, most people will just give up and try another tactic)
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Seerow @ Apr 19 2011, 09:46 PM) *
(again, the Increase Attribute spell is amazing and is the only way to boost several stats outside of drugs, and there's several spells that support stealthing, gunslinging, etc),

Adrenaline pump, which also allows you to ignore stun. No addiction, so not a drug.
Summerstorm
Eugh... all good and fine. But just loading up with a huge centering focus (if you have the karma for it) would be enough, i guess. No need to make it too complicated.

Seerow
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 20 2011, 05:39 AM) *
Adrenaline pump, which also allows you to ignore stun. No addiction, so not a drug.

Um... yeah, but the part of my post you quoted there was talking about what Mages can do that other people can't. An adrenaline pump doesn't give you extra Will/Charisma/Intuition, which are all exclusively raised either by drugs or the spell.
longbowrocks
Can someone come up with a MysAd optimised for damage using sniper rifles on 400 BP? You should leech every point of dice pool or DV you can out of the rules, including edge. Don't bother spending on any defense, and show how many BP you used. If I can't think of a competing mundane sniper build, It'll at least give me something to think about.
Seerow
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 20 2011, 05:46 AM) *
Can someone come up with a MysAd optimised for damage using sniper rifles on 400 BP? You should leech every point of dice pool or DV you can out of the rules, including edge. Don't bother spending on any defense, and show how many BP you used. If I can't think of a competing mundane sniper build, It'll at least give me something to think about.

Take whatever you'd give to the mundane sniper, then add on 3 extra dice from Imp Combat Skill, then add on Hawkeye (no range modifiers and no need to take a aim action).

It's really pretty much that simple. Your mundane sniper will have at most 7 ranks, and will constantly be taking range modifiers, or re-aiming every time his target moves. The mystic adept sniper gets 10 ranks, for 3 extra dice, and no need to waste that extra action. (This is also potentially even more important if your modifiers are enough to risk hitting cap, if that optional rule is used, though I don't see how you could manage that. dicepool cap for mundane is (9+7 )*2 = 32 for the mundane and (9+10)*2 = 38 for the adept)

There are of course other benefits (invisibility, detection spells, imp physical skill, etc), but you said to only list straight up offensive benefits for sniping and not worry about defensive benefits at all.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Seerow @ Apr 19 2011, 11:29 PM) *
Hawkeye (no range modifiers and no need to take a aim action).

I'm a fan of the hawkeye quality, so let me fix that for you:
it reduces the range increment by one step, and gives you a bonus die for perception tests over a distance.

QUOTE (Seerow @ Apr 19 2011, 11:29 PM) *
Take whatever you'd give to the mundane sniper, then add on 3 extra dice from Imp Combat Skill, then add on Hawkeye (no range modifiers and no need to take a aim action).

It's really pretty much that simple. Your mundane sniper will have at most 7 ranks, and will constantly be taking range modifiers, or re-aiming every time his target moves. The mystic adept sniper gets 10 ranks, for 3 extra dice, and no need to waste that extra action. (This is also potentially even more important if your modifiers are enough to risk hitting cap, if that optional rule is used, though I don't see how you could manage that. dicepool cap for mundane is (9+7 )*2 = 32 for the mundane and (9+10)*2 = 38 for the adept)

There are of course other benefits (invisibility, detection spells, imp physical skill, etc), but you said to only list straight up offensive benefits for sniping and not worry about defensive benefits at all.

So you took hawk eye and mysAd for 5+10 BP, then I assume you added exceptional attribute for 20 BP, capping you out at 35.
The mundane took exceptional attribute for 20 BP, and hawkeye for 5, then added 2X restricted gear to start with rating 4 muscle toner and the barett. that's 1 less die than you, but 2 more DV. since DV counts for approximately 3X what dice count for if you are already nearly guaranteed to hit, that's undoubtedly better than the MysAd.
The hook is that you're investing in skills that don't always give optimal returns. I'm banking on the idea that the points you invest in magic and qualities at creation will set you back more than they aid you.
Can somebody please give this a serious try?
In the meantime...
Irion
@longbowrocks
then added 2X restricted gear to start with rating 4 muscle toner and the barett.

All stuff you are able to pick up on the second or third run.
Why should I pay precious BP for stuff I get later on anyway. Stuff like a Synaptic Booster 2 is something to think about.
But for muscle toner? Why not just get level two, second hand an pick the level 4 thing as alpha Ware later on.

Nobody is agruing, that ware from the start is better than magic. But this changes over time. Magic is raised, ware is replaced.
If you start with a level two, second hand muscletoner replacing it with a level 4 muscle toner alpha costs the same as replacing a level 4 muscle toner.
So after a few runs, all you achieved was wasting BP on restricted gear. Same goes for the barret. (

So yes, you are better for maybe 4 runs (maybe 5). After that the adept is closing in and later on leaving you behind.
He will have an higher peception pool, he will have an higher Pool for shooting and so on. You might be able to get some additional skills. (Not if you really try to keep up and raise Perception and Rifle to 7)

It gets even worse if you play with initiations giving power points.
The adept will probably start with around 3 points of essence loss. (If we are looking at, lets say, 1.8 Points of bioware, he can easy but another point of Cyber in, without question. Keeping him medium cybered making it possible to get around cyberware scanners, since bioware is hard to detect and the cyberare needed is legal (cybereyes etc.)
The question pending is, if he has raised is magic to 5 or only to 4. Depending on the question if he could invest the BP for better deals.
So yes, he will be down 45 BP front up. (Not so much if he is using second hand ware and keeping the prices down)
For this he only gets +1 to the rifle skill. (which would cost aour sam 14BP or later on 7*2+20=32 Karma)
Well, there are also 0.5 Powerpoints left. So if we go for improved perception and improved sence (smell possibly) you would neede a cyber nose to get after that and the skill would cost you another (considering the skill is 4) 10 Karma or 4 BP.
But since Karma will be awarded the adept will get another power point for 10 Karma.
Well, this means you would need to increase your perception to 6 costing anohter 12 Karma.
Freefall is also incredibal useful for a sniper. To get it with cyberware you need two cyberlegs. Well, the cyberware is better, no question about that.
But it makes the character easyier to detect.
And everything goes from bad to worse, if the adpet picks up his first initiation an takes Aura masking. Now he can walk as a "mundane" char, while your char will always be checked by magic security (heavy cyber enhancements).

So everything in your development will be sort of a tradeoff, while the adept gets pure improvement over time.
He will replace his second hand stuff with alpha or even better thus getting more ware. (Keeping magical healing simple, keeping a "normal" look (Cyberware scanners, Assensing)
Even more if he gets stuff like masking. (Here I am not sure if it is possible to mask ware, for it is not said)

(While your sniper can be identified by his aura)

It gets better if the adept is forced to pay 5*5= 25 Karma for raising his Magic from 1(4) to 2(5) ( actual value(value without considering essence loss))
Then yes, a mundane sniper may keep up for a time.
Scyldemort
QUOTE (Irion @ Apr 20 2011, 08:27 AM) *
And everything goes from bad to worse, if the adpet picks up his first initiation an takes Aura masking. Now he can walk as a "mundane" char, while your char will always be checked by magic security (heavy cyber enhancements).

So everything in your development will be sort of a tradeoff, while the adept gets pure improvement over time.
He will replace his second hand stuff with alpha or even better thus getting more ware. (Keeping magical healing simple, keeping a "normal" look (Cyberware scanners, Assensing)
Even more if he gets stuff like masking. (Here I am not sure if it is possible to mask ware, for it is not said)

(While your sniper can be identified by his aura)

It gets better if the adept is forced to pay 5*5= 25 Karma for raising his Magic from 1(4) to 2(5) ( actual value(value without considering essence loss))
Then yes, a mundane sniper may keep up for a time.

Street Magic, pg. 53:
"Adepts may learn Divining, Psychometry, and Sensing, as well as the exclusive metamag-ics of Adept Centering, Attunement (Animal and Item), Cognition, Empower Animal, Infusion and Somatic Control, which are available only to adepts and mystical adepts."

So about those Adepts with Aura Masking... nyahnyah.gif
Yeah, mystic adept can take it. Still had to be said. Note that mystic adepts are the redheaded stepchildren of the awakened world. "Hey kids, want to be bad at spellcasting and have subpar physical abilities at the same time? Now you can!"
Scyldemort
As far as I know you cannot mask ware. Also note that Masking uses Intuition + Magic + Initiation Grade vs Assesning + Intuition. With a magic attrinute of 1 or 2, good luck with that.
Irion
Alright did not know that Aura masking is off limit for adepts.
If you go with intuition 4, Magic 2 Initiation 1 you end up with about 7 dices. That also about the assensing pool early game.
(With a few Karma it is getting better and better)
Machiavelli
I would say yes. Magic Characters outshine mundanes at equal levels of karma.
Scyldemort
Assuming someone looking for the cyberadept doesn't just use spirits. Even a Force 6 spirit has at least 12 dice for assensing. That's pretty easy to achieve.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Scyldemort @ Apr 20 2011, 11:36 AM) *
As far as I know you cannot mask ware. Also note that Masking uses Intuition + Magic + Initiation Grade vs Assesning + Intuition. With a magic attrinute of 1 or 2, good luck with that.

Last time my cyber-mage got assensed, the other mage saw a mudan with essence 2 but no ware thanks to high-grade ware. (No cyberware below beta-grade and no bioware under alpha-grade.) Fortunately he didn't mistake me for a vampire. biggrin.gif
Mäx
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Apr 20 2011, 08:46 AM) *

Elf mystic adept:
stats:
Magic 5 (4) split 2 and 2 40BP
Agility 9(13) 75BP

Qualities:
Mystic adept 10BP
Surge class 2 10BP
Restricted gear*2 10BP

Surge qualities:
Metagenetic improvement agility

Skills:
Longarms (sniper rifles) 6(+2)
spellcasting (detection) 4(+2)

Adept powers:
Improved ability Longarms 3

Recources 32 BP
Ware:
alphaware Muscle toner 4
Genetic optimization agility
Cyber eyes with smartlink

Gear:
Barret with smartlink

Magical gear:
Force 3 detection spell sustaining focus 3BP to bond

Spells:
Enchance Aim 3BP

257BP used

Dice pool to shoot the barret = Agility 13 + longarms 9 + spec 2 + smartlink 2 = 26 dice
And thanks to the force 3 enchance aim spell in the sustaining focus with 3 hits, no range penalties at any range without needing to take aim action.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Scyldemort @ Apr 20 2011, 09:55 AM) *
Assuming someone looking for the cyberadept doesn't just use spirits. Even a Force 6 spirit has at least 12 dice for assensing. That's pretty easy to achieve.

Yeah, spirits are pretty impressive at astral security.
Reliably finding bioware, delta-grade cyber and masked mages comes in handy, and i am actually assuming that really high-ranking targets (megacorp CEOs, heads of the more important states etc) have a spirit at hand just to scan people for ware and magic.

But most of the time, it's not that hard both for mundanes and mages to hide their powers.
Force 6 spirits are something a mediocre mage better shouldn't mess with, and i'm assuming that most mages out there are rather mediocre.
When we're talking about awakened characters, we are always assuming optimized player character standards.
In fact, there should be a pretty large number of lower-powered awakened among NPCs, people with Magic 3 or 4 and few to no abilities with direct combat applications. People like the occult investigator archetype.
When you manabolt people left and right while your Force 6 spirit wreaks havoc, you are as much ahead of the average Awakened character in the 6th world as a sammy who is one-hitting 6 targets a turn is ahead of the average beat cop.

Oh, and one more thing to add to the general discussion :
A team where the mage buffs the sams will usually outperform a team where the mage buffs himself.
For theoretical optimization purposes that are limited to a single character, the gun mage will beat the sam.
But he couldn't beat an optimized street sam with magical support. That guy would have access to most of the tricks a gun mage has access to (Enhance Aim and various other buff spells like Combat Sense, possession by Guardian Spirits etc), but would have way higher base stats, better damage-soaking abilities, much more points for combat skills in the first place etc.
Yerameyahu
By that logic, a hacker can just accumulate 30 Karma and buy the Magician Quality. Now he can easily do all the things a mage can do, plus all the unique hacker tricks. You could say "But now he's a mage
He can't. And yes, I would say 'now he's a mage'… cuz he is. There are no unique hacker tricks. Everyone in SR4 can be (should be!) part hacker.
--
The mundane took exceptional attribute for 20 BP, and hawkeye for 5, then added 2X restricted gear to start with rating 4 muscle toner and the barett.
As Irion explained, longbowrocks, you're looking at 0 Karma comparison in the same thread you specifically asked for 'few hundred karma' comparisons. smile.gif The mage (/awakened character) can get the same 'ware and gear as the sniper. (You may recognize this as the general rule I asked you to repeat. biggrin.gif )
Irion
Force 6 spirits are something a mediocre mage better shouldn't mess with, and i'm assuming that most mages out there are rather mediocre.

Sorry, but this is not only true for medicore mages.
With magic 6 and summoning 6 you would have less than a 50% Chance of success (no edge use of the spirit). And if he fails he lost 6 hours and materials worth of 3000 nuyen. (If you failed big time you may knocks yourself out)

This is not cheap at all. It gets better if you have positive BC and some Foci. But these you need to have first. And it is still 6 hours.

In fact, there should be a pretty large number of lower-powered awakened among NPCs, people with Magic 3 or 4 and few to no abilities with direct combat applications. People like the occult investigator archetype.

The hole magic system is kind of strange in this aspect. On the one hand magic 6 is seen has high. On the other hand there is no problem with some (not the immortal elf, Dragon etc kind of) NPCs having a magic of 11 and skills of 6.
You got speacial Forces with skills and attributes around 3 and 4 but some prisonguards with 6.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seerow @ Apr 19 2011, 10:46 PM) *
Re: The Feywear, what exactly is the point of it?

It lets you get a positive quality put into your clothes, but you have to pay a ton of money AND karma for it... where (unless this was also erratad out in a newer version of the book) you can just gain new positive qualities by paying that same amount of karma. Yes, the book says the GM should award the qualities where they make sense blah blah, but Attitude also says that the GM should consider the impact that feyweave will have on his game before allowing a character to get it, so you're having to go through the GM in either scenario to get the quality... it's just with this you have to be wearing specific clothes and pay a bunch of money on top of it.

My guess would be that the Feywear and the Magic Resistant Quality would stack. Don't know, though, as I have yet to get Attitude.

As to the actual topic: The biggest complaint I have with magical characters is that they do have so much that can't be replicated. As a couple other people have said, there is no concept in the game that couldn't be made better with a splash of magic added to the character for that little extra edge. How much magic you want will vary from character to character, but having magic is always going to be strictly better than not having magic. It also doesn't help that you can't pick up magic post character gen, so if you think there's any chance your character will want some form of magic to complement his skillset somewhere down the line, you want to have at the very least one of the awakened qualities, and just enough magic to not be burnt out with whatever wares you want.

This is False. You can purchase Latent Awakening, and pick up Magic later in the game. I have even heard of some GM's allowing the purchase of Magic after play starts without having the Latent Awakening Quality. Post Character generation, this does cost an amount of Karma, but it is also a viable solution.

Some things being exclusively magic is okay. Indeed, it's even expected. After all, what kind of mundane effect could turn someone to goo? Or take over someone's mind? But on the other hand, if that's the way it is, you should have more things that are unique to mundanes, and possibly limit the stacking between similar mundane/magical things. After all, why be a Mundane face and just have Tailored Pheromones, when I could be a Mystic Adept Face, who has Tailored Pheromones, Kinescis, Imp Social Skill, Commanding Voice, Cool Resolve, and the ability to cast Increase Attribute (Charisma)? Yes, you probably won't be able to do all of that at character creation, but you could do most of it, and could have all of it within 50-100 karma.

Well...
PAB Programming will allow you to take over someone's Mind, creating a Manchurian Candidate.
Turn to Goo is just a Grenade or two applied in an enclosed Space smile.gif

And not everyone wants to play a Magically Active character. There ARE drawbacks to playing such a character. I am sure that I do not have to go over those again here, as everyone knows those drawbacks.

I mean, even a hacker/rigger benefits from dipping into being an adept. You get a couple of cool initiation powers that can help out, and imp tech/vehicle skills to bump your skills above the natural maximums.

Hacker/Riggers are better as Technomancers than they would be as a Mage. Of course, The Hacker I play (A Massively modded CyberLogician) still often runs rings around the Technomancer in the Group. There are things that he does better (Spooof comes to mind, since that is his specialty), but when Hacking, The CyberLogician often finds and hacks the systems long before the technomancer does. His only Benefit is that he can Thread CF's to 14 when he really wants a High Threhold Cap, where I have to Use Edge. (We use the optional rule of Skill + Attribute, capped by Program/CF Rating). A Mage will never outshine the Hacker, though an Adept might come close.

Mages themselves are a different story. They're far less dippable, so they don't scream "take this to help out any possible build ever!", but they are still very strong in their own right. While they can be used for complementing other roles (again, the Increase Attribute spell is amazing and is the only way to boost several stats outside of drugs, and there's several spells that support stealthing, gunslinging, etc), Mage's really stick out moreso in what they can do on their own. Their counterspelling is pretty much the only thing that will keep their team as a whole standing when facing other mages, since direct spells have no mundane way to protect against except for very expensive qualities. They can basically spam stunbolt/stunball/manabolt without much fear of drain at all. They can maintain 4 initiative passes with a single spell (can use a force 4 sustaining focus which is relatively cheap to keep it up cheaply). They can turn people to goo, stone, or animals, their pick. They can turn themselves into a critter and wade into melee (not that this really has any benefit in shadowrun, but it is possible, and is an easy way for mages to overcome their typical physical weakness). They can turn invisible and fly. About the only thing a mage can't do is teleport/time travel. The majority of the things listed are things that mages are typically capable of doing competently starting at character generation.

Drain, the mage's intended limiting factor, is pretty easily negated. Between Increase Attribute, and Centering (most mages' first metamagic), and a Centering Focus, it's not really out of the question for a mage to be able to just shrug off drain values as high as 6-8 even at relatively low karma levels. Even a starting mid-op mage should be able to shrug off 4, which covers most force 5-7 spells. With higher karma levels (ie the 400ish karma discussed in this topic) 40 or so drain resist dice isn't out of the question.

And this doesn't even touch on spirits, astral perception, or astral projection, all of which are pretty closely hoarded by the mages, and made prohibitively costly for other characters to touch. (Seriously, a full power point for astral perception? That's ridiculous). These are things that for the most part nobody else has an equivalent to, and Mages give up next to nothing for access to it.

Anyway, at this point I'm more or less rambling, so I'm going to shut up and go to sleep now.

And yet, the mage has to worry about such things as Background Count, Wards, and Other Astral Threats. Where the Mundane could care less. Want to pass through a ward undetected, the mage better shut down ALL of his magic (or hope that his Masking is up to the Task). Sucks to have to recast those things all over again. Especially in the middle of an intrusion. And how often does the mage have all the time in the world to Cleanse or remove all of his spell signatures, throughout the facility? in a run and gun game, he is likely to leave spell signatures all over the place for the opposition to find later. Again, Mundanes just toss the weapon and move on. Kind of Hard fo the mage ot do that.

Yes, Mages are Powerful, and yes, they are very versatile. Can they outshine the Unawakened? Yes, if the GM is not on his game, they can indeed. Is it a forgone conclusion? I do not think so. It takes a very large amount of karma for a Mundane to have nothing else to spend on, Skill and Attribute Caps notwithstanding. The Mage will likely spend all of his karma on magical increases of one type or another. The balance is not as slim as it seems.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Seerow @ Apr 19 2011, 11:38 PM) *
We're talking about a 400 karma character to get to the 40 dice pool. I was thinking something like a grade 10 initiate (which is 163 of the 400 karma), with a say moderate force 6 Centering Focus (36 more karma), and a quickened Imp Attribute Logic/Willpower (force 5, getting both stats to the 9 maximum) is up to 206 karma spent, and has 34 dice to throw at drain resist already. Bumping that focus up to Force 12 (we can have up to force 30 in foci bound, more if magic gets raised above 6 at all) it gets the 40 I specified, but that's investing pretty heavily. Udoshi listed plenty of other ways to resist drain further without needing such a high force foci, but most don't actually add to the dice pool, but rather just lets you shrug off drain.

And at that point you are not really better than a starting mage who has 12 Drain Dice. You have yet to increase any Magic, buy any new spells, purchase any Sustaining Foci, raise your casting Skills, or anything else that would make a good mage excel at his job. But you can sure soak that Drain down. Get real here Seerow. What you are proposing is not a true, viable character in the game world.

The quickening is pretty rough if your GM is prone to dispelling. If that's the case you can instead opt towards sustaining foci (again counting towards that max force though), or quickening it at a much higher force. For example overcast to force 10 and put in the doubled karma, and roll 26+ (the + being any extra magic or power focii) dice on any counterspelling test, and make the person attempting to dispell it most likely have to eat physical drain with most likely far fewer dice to resist than you. (actually at force 10 it's still only 3 drain, so bump that overcasting on up to say force 16, making the drain 6P, something you can shrug off easily, but anyone looking to dispell you will likely need to worry about. And after eating a few points of physical drain without getting any net successes towards dispelling, most people will just give up and try another tactic)

Any good Ward will take down a Quickened Spell more often than not (Happened a few times in our game at least), and that does not require any dispelling. Yes, you may be able to pass thorugh the Wards with Masking and Extended Masking metamagics, but then again, you may not. Are you willing to take that chance with high karma quickened spells?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Scyldemort @ Apr 20 2011, 03:25 AM) *
Street Magic, pg. 53:
"Adepts may learn Divining, Psychometry, and Sensing, as well as the exclusive metamag-ics of Adept Centering, Attunement (Animal and Item), Cognition, Empower Animal, Infusion and Somatic Control, which are available only to adepts and mystical adepts."

So about those Adepts with Aura Masking... nyahnyah.gif
Yeah, mystic adept can take it. Still had to be said. Note that mystic adepts are the redheaded stepchildren of the awakened world. "Hey kids, want to be bad at spellcasting and have subpar physical abilities at the same time? Now you can!"

False...
You forgot to look at the Main Book.
Page 198. SR4A...
Note that adepts can only learn the metamagic techniques of Adept Centering, Centering, Flexible Signature, and Masking.

The above techniques are in addition to those in Street Magic. Any Advanced Techniques relying upon the Metamagics an Adept can Learn, can also be learned by an Adept. So Advanced Masking would work as well, though it is only useable with Weapon Foci, of course.

And... Mystic Adepts have the best of both worlds, though they will be slightly less powerful than a pure Adept or Pure Mage. You really should try such characters before panning them as ineffective.
Irion
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Any good Ward will take down a Quickened Spell more often than not (Happened a few times in our game at least), and that does not require any dispelling.

How is that?
I mean you only quicken spells with a Force greater 6. First to get them a bit resistant to BC. Whats the point of an increased reflex 4 Spell if you get down to a slaughter house and you drop from 4 IPs to 2 or even one.
So a ward would have to compete against 6*2+6 (Karma) =18 dices. Here you would need a least force 5 to stand a chance. (As a matter of fact, the rules are not clear on what happens if both score the same amount of hits)
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Irion @ Apr 20 2011, 02:14 PM) *
Sorry, but this is not only true for medicore mages.
With magic 6 and summoning 6 you would have less than a 50% Chance of success (no edge use of the spirit). And if he fails he lost 6 hours and materials worth of 3000 nuyen. (If you failed big time you may knocks yourself out)

This is not cheap at all. It gets better if you have positive BC and some Foci. But these you need to have first. And it is still 6 hours.

That's for binding. Binding a spirit is a way bigger deal than just summoning it, your limit for what you can pull off is going to be much, much higher if you ask for just one day of service.
For my starting mages, it never was a big deal to summon F5 or 6 spirits, at least as long as i had a mentor bonus for them and the PC was geared towards summoning. But binding them wasn't something to be taken lightly. The dain from that alone is prohibitive.

The hole magic system is kind of strange in this aspect. On the one hand magic 6 is seen has high. On the other hand there is no problem with some (not the immortal elf, Dragon etc kind of) NPCs having a magic of 11 and skills of 6.
You got speacial Forces with skills and attributes around 3 and 4 but some prisonguards with 6.

That's not as much a problem of the magic system as it is a problem of different writers having different standards for what constitutes competence.
Irion
@Rasumichin
For my starting mages, it never was a big deal to summon F5 or 6 spirits, at least as long as i had a mentor bonus for them and the PC was geared towards summoning.

Summoning beeing to easy is an other thing to be considered.
That's not as much a problem of the magic system as it is a problem of different writers having different standards for what constitutes competence.

Well, all other skills and attributes are "limited" in some way. Magic is not.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Apr 20 2011, 08:15 AM) *
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein

How is that?
I mean you only quicken spells with a Force greater 6. First to get them a bit resistant to BC. Whats the point of an increased reflex 4 Spell if you get down to a slaughter house and you drop from 4 IPs to 2 or even one.
So a ward would have to compete against 6*2+6 (Karma) =18 dices. Here you would need a least force 5 to stand a chance. (As a matter of fact, the rules are not clear on what happens if both score the same amount of hits)

Ties always go to the Defender (unless it is a touch attack). In this case. the Ward. Wards do not require the benefit of a BC to take down a spell. I have run into Force 6-18 wards in our game, dependant upon where and what we were doing. I have set Force 10 Wards in game. Our Good mage sets wards ranging from Force 9-14. By the time that you are Quickening Force 6+ Spells, you are generally running against targets that have Wards capable of dropping those Spells. And since it is a contested roll, Spell vs. Ward, you cannot even really spend Edge to boost it (the spell is its own entity after all). Are you willing to risk 12-18 karma or so that you are going to win out against every Ward that you come across? I am not. At least not when I can just purchase a Sustaining Focus instead.
Irion
Ties always go to the Defender (unless it is a touch attack). In this case. the Ward.

The defender would be the spell. He is the one getting disrupted.

I have run into Force 6-18 wards in our game, dependant upon where and what we were doing.

A Force 18 Ward needs 18 hours to be set up and everyone has to resist 18 Points of drain. Thats deadly.

And since it is a contested roll, Spell vs. Ward, you cannot even really spend Edge to boost it (the spell is its own entity after all).

This I do not know. Because you as a player are rolling the test so you may spend edge on your test.

At least not when I can just purchase a Sustaining Focus instead.

Thats getting a bit expensive if you are talking force 8 to 10 spells.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Apr 19 2011, 08:01 PM) *
Hits are capped at 5 (magic) anyway. And there are more useful spells than combat spells, no question.

Hence the only combat spell my character has is Stunbolt. It's a really good spell for taking out spirits. Everything else can be done better with a gun. For those pesky drones... MGL-6 with high explosive grenades FTW. No Drain, no beating OR, no Astral Security screaming down on me.

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 20 2011, 08:04 AM) *
Everyone in SR4 can be (should be!) part hacker.

If you look at the character I posted. I spent quite a bit of cash on his commlink and the programs. Yes I didn't buy the full up programs, but getting those as Warez is pretty easy... especially if you have any skill or a hacker buddy that you trust.

QUOTE (Irion @ Apr 20 2011, 09:15 AM) *
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein

How is that?

This is the reason why my Combat Medic Mage has Synaptic Booster 1 and if I play I plan on getting Beta grade Synaptic Booster 2. Yeah 3 IP is not enough to keep up with the wired-to-the-max Sammy, but still good enough as to not be a liability. It also means that I don't have waste time to cast that initiative booster. Also I know that the Synaptic Booster ALWAYS works.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Apr 20 2011, 09:06 AM) *
The defender would be the spell. He is the one getting disrupted.

No, teh defender would be the Ward, as that is what is being penetrated.

A Force 18 Ward needs 18 hours to be set up and everyone has to resist 18 Points of drain. Thats deadly.

Only if you cannot take the Drain. Our exceptional Mage survived the 20 Boxes of Drain from Spirit Summoning. It can be done. Of course, Force 18 Wards are likely to be Physical Drain, but again, it just takes some forthought in how to establish the resistance of said Attempt.

This I do not know. Because you as a player are rolling the test so you may spend edge on your test.

I the player roll the test for the Drone that is being piloted by the Pilot, and yet I cannot add Edge. I would nopt allow it myself.

Thats getting a bit expensive if you are talking force 8 to 10 spells.

If you need 8-10 spells to be Quickened, you are likely already addicted to magic anyways. I have never had a need for more than 3-4 Foci. And it is FAR less expensive than having to renew your Quickened spells if, and when, they get disrupted. All it takes is ONCE for your 8-10 spells to be brought down and you will be useless for the runs it takes to gain the karma (18 x 8-10 karma) for the Spells you need to reestablish... Seems like the Foci are the way to go in my book.
Mäx
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 20 2011, 06:17 PM) *
If you need 8-10 spells to be Quickened, you are likely already addicted to magic anyways. I have never had a need for more than 3-4 Foci. And it is FAR less expensive than having to renew your Quickened spells if, and when, they get disrupted. All it takes is ONCE for your 8-10 spells to be brought down and you will be useless for the runs it takes to gain the karma (18 x 8-10 karma) for the Spells you need to reestablish... Seems like the Foci are the way to go in my book.

Force 8-10 spells, not 8-10 different spells wink.gif
Cheops
@Cyberzombies: It used to be insanely rare and a difficult procedure to get. With SR4 they made it just a matter of time before you get it so now there is nothing really stopping a PC. But back in the day you used to have to suck Lowfyr's cock before you could get the treatment. Now that Delta clinics are everywhere (there used to be 5 in the whole world) if a PC saves up the money I'd let him.

@ Detect Enemies: the reason it works in that situation is because Longbow was suggesting a straight up confrontation between the mage and the street sam. Thus even though the street sam hasn't seen the mage he has come looking for him with the specific intention of killing him. Thus he is an enemy.

@ The Matrix: Physad/MysAd hackers are actually pretty good hackers and are super coders. If you are making a non-0.01 Essence hacker you are usually better off playing a Physad. Magic and the Matrix actually gets even funnier if you GM is stupid enough to use the Logic + Skill capped by program optional rules instead of basic rules.

However, I will say that the Matrix is the one bastion of Non-Awakened characters in SR4. Unless like most of us grognards you consider Technomancers to be mages.
Irion
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
And it is FAR less expensive than having to renew your Quickened spells if

Foki can be destroyed too. As a matter of fact it is quite easy. Depending on the foci a unwilling bath is enough to kill it. (A fireball would kill it anyway considering the barrier ratings)

longbowrocks
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 20 2011, 05:04 AM) *
As Irion explained, longbowrocks, you're looking at 0 Karma comparison in the same thread you specifically asked for 'few hundred karma' comparisons. smile.gif

Yeah, that's my eventual goal, but it's nice to start small, y'know. I wouldn't start a new thread just to ask the same question with 0 Karma instead of 200-300.
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 20 2011, 05:04 AM) *
The mage (/awakened character) can get the same 'ware and gear as the sniper. (You may recognize this as the general rule I asked you to repeat. biggrin.gif )

Well, as long as they have enough magic to avoid getting burned out.
I'm kind of avoiding this until I can think of something concrete that mundanes can do and mages can't. So far I'm stuck at:
  • Super cybering at creation (essence below 1).
  • Keeping up with mundanes in terms of gear, stats, and skills (same rate, but start out behind due to sinking BP into their quality and magic at creation).

I don't really think this is an impressive list though, and I know there's more in there if I just scour from page to page.

BTW: Thanks for the comparison Max. I haven't forgotten, and will get back to that later today.
Cheops
Despite what I said Longbow you really should add Matrix to the list of things non-Awakened can do better. An Awakened trying to be a hacker usually ends up a one-trick pony and surrenders that versatility we've been talking about. This is the main situation where a mundane ends up being more versatile than the Awakened (but not TMs).
Seerow
I'm a fan of the hawkeye quality, so let me fix that for you:
it reduces the range increment by one step, and gives you a bonus die for perception tests over a distance.

The hawkeye quality can be taken by anybody. I'm talking about the hawkeye spell. Though I apparently once again confused it with Enhance Aim. Though Hawkeye isn't bad for helping to spot that guy 5 miles away.

Enhance Aim (Passive, Directional)
Type: P • Range: T • Duration: S • DV: (F÷2)–1
This spell improves a voluntary subject’s aim. Each hit on the Spellcasting Test reduces the Range category for ranged attacks by one level, thus reducing range modifiers. Unlike image magnification, however, the subject does not need a Take Aim action to “lock onto” a target; the spell does that auto-magically. This effect is cumulative with other targeting devices, implants, and abilities (laser sights, scopes, smartlinks, Improved Ability adept power, etc.). The caster must touch the subject of the spell.

KCKitsune
QUOTE (Cheops @ Apr 20 2011, 11:59 AM) *
Despite what I said Longbow you really should add Matrix to the list of things non-Awakened can do better. An Awakened trying to be a hacker usually ends up a one-trick pony and surrenders that versatility we've been talking about. This is the main situation where a mundane ends up being more versatile than the Awakened (but not TMs).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with 'trodes, getting Data Search, Hacking, Electronic Warfare & Cybercombat skills, and getting a good commlink, why couldn't a Mage hack as well as a hacker?

Are there skills that I am missing to make a good hacker?
Irion
@longbowrocks
Comparing a pure SAM to a pure adept, the Sam will be ahead for a long time.
(Maybe even forever)
But with the very soft rules on magic loss thorugh ware an adept is able to go both ways and gets the best of both worlds. Yes, he first has to pay to enter but it will pay out soon.

Mystic adepts only work if you allow certain "tricks" with adept powers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012