Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martial Arts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
LurkerOutThere
I thought we were allowing Martial Arts this time around? Am i just misremembering? Here's what the FAQ has to say

ARE THE NEW WAYS TO DIE RULES USED?
 e majority of the New Ways to Die chapter (p. 154, Arsenal)
is not used.  e two exceptions are the Recoil and Strength and the
Two Weapon Melee Combat rules (p. 163, Arsenal)
Hida Tsuzua
While MA are cool, wouldn't everyone use Krav Maga if they were allowed?
jakephillips
I agree with the Krav Maga thing. Also for mission it can get pretty out of control. I am playing a NON Physical Adept troll heavy weight boxer. With a str of 11 and bone density augmentation 4 I do 9p with my fists. If you added maritial arts I could take two sets of boxing +2 damage, 2 sets of karate +2 damage and have 13p fists. That is a tame example of shenanigans that can show up at your table if martial arts are in.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (jakephillips @ May 4 2011, 11:01 PM) *
I agree with the Krav Maga thing. Also for mission it can get pretty out of control. I am playing a NON Physical Adept troll heavy weight boxer. With a str of 11 and bone density augmentation 4 I do 9p with my fists. If you added maritial arts I could take two sets of boxing +2 damage, 2 sets of karate +2 damage and have 13p fists. That is a tame example of shenanigans that can show up at your table if martial arts are in.

If you check the errata for Arsenal you will see that extra damage is capped at +3, so, in this case, it would be 12P damage and one extra Martial Arts slot.
Hida Tsuzua
While 12P is quite the nice base damage, that's still nearly any firearm firing SNS in a narrow long burst for 11S (going by straight DV and not caring about P or S). While there's a lot of apples and oranges between punching someone and shooting them with SnS (concealability, range, followup shots, sound, and defense checks used), DV wise that isn't insane. It does mean you can punch cars to death with your karate which is noteworthy.

Edit- Even if it could get into crazy town, it's going to be +3 damage. If you're punching 17P or something without MA, hitting 20P while better isn't going to suddenly make it "over the top" especially considering how fragile most guys are in missions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012