Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In the further awakening of the 2070s--
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
boskop-albatros
Soon I think Jackalmen will Even show up, is there Jackalmen Shadowrun rules yet? nuyen.gif cyber.gif
boskop-albatros
I'm basicly asking if anyone has rules for playing jackalmen in Shadowrun; Jackalmen are an Obscure Earthdawn Race--Earthdawn Was the 4th World Mana is On a cycle It's Just Inevitable...__And Leafers talker.gif will come Back Too They'd be Called Treepeople nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (boskop-albatros @ May 8 2011, 03:27 AM) *
I'm basicly asking if anyone has rules for playing jackalmen in Shadowrun; Jackalmen are an Obscure Earthdawn Race--Earthdawn Was the 4th World Mana is On a cycle It's Just Inevitable...__And Leafers talker.gif will come Back Too They'd be Called Treepeople nuyen.gif nuyen.gif

Well, we still do not have Obsidiman yet. *Shrug* wobble.gif
boskop-albatros
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 8 2011, 11:01 AM) *

I Know..But the Mana Levels will inevitably Rise...and if there is One of those ..You know, Magical disasters Or even some thing good like miracle There will Be a Mana Spike might as get the Obsidianmen,Windling(Sprite!).T'skrang-Saurids?Jackalmen(People?),Leafers-Treefolk -or-Ents? Ready?, Because I belive their Apperance is inevitable-It's just they will be reborn in a Time Of Sentinent silicon-based lifeforms apperance too? and that is what makes shadowrun shadowrun-The awakening Never ended it is ongoing, Plus Ca Change Forever, the 2070-2080 decade in Showrun is about the word learning to accept this, by 2080 I believe if at only at the tabloid level many people in the 6th world will have heard of the above mentioned Sentinentces( obsidianpeople,sprites,saurids,jackalpeople,treepeople)
Loch
The return of more Earthdawn races would suggest that the mana is moving in the same way it did all those years ago, when there's plenty of evidence that it's not. What about Dunkie's whole sacrifice deal to keep the mana level down? Things are always changing in Shadowrun, sure, but that doesn't mean they change in a predetermined manner grinbig.gif
sgtbarnesKY
I wanna say obsidimen are back, the SOA book mentions strange stone men, on the Kamchaka pennisula I wanna say or maybe a north island of Japan. As for the rest, you can technically make a T'sarang from Surge 3 qualities/flaws so you may be able to get a jackelman if the qualities/flaws line up, you could take Saytr legs striking skin pigmentation, unusual hair, extravigant eyes, claws, flangs. Things like that, I dunno Surge can create a lot of things that resemble much from Earthdawn. A cleaver player and an understanding GM maybe able to work it out.
Draco18s
Need I point out that it's another 2443 years until the mana peak?
KarmaInferno
All this also assumes that Shadowrun is still related to Earthdawn, which the current development has been moving away from.

-k
CanRay
Finally, there's the environment to take into consideration that may hinder or help mana flows. Not to mention AZT.
Fringe
QUOTE (sgtbarnesKY @ May 8 2011, 03:29 PM) *
I wanna say obsidimen are back, the SOA book mentions strange stone men, on the Kamchaka pennisula I wanna say or maybe a north island of Japan. As for the rest, you can technically make a T'sarang from Surge 3 qualities/flaws so you may be able to get a jackelman if the qualities/flaws line up, you could take Saytr legs striking skin pigmentation, unusual hair, extravigant eyes, claws, flangs. Things like that, I dunno Surge can create a lot of things that resemble much from Earthdawn. A cleaver player and an understanding GM maybe able to work it out.

I can't recall specifically, but I vaguely recall one of the old SR published adventures having a news story about a statue that walked out of a museum one night. I took that to be an obsidiman.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 9 2011, 12:01 AM) *

I'm working on it, if my pbp game keeps going smile.gif
Fringe
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ May 8 2011, 09:26 PM) *
All this also assumes that Shadowrun is still related to Earthdawn, which the current development has been moving away from.

True, corporate relations being what they are. Two games that once were published by the same company now are published by two companies, so the devs have to steer away from it.

But ED will always have a place in my SR pre-history.
Draco18s
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ May 8 2011, 09:26 PM) *

They still do relate. It's ShadowRun canon that mana cycles are ~5000 years long. Just because Earthdawn is now owned by another company doesn't mean that old connections stopped existing, all it means is that the two games will not create new connections.
Critias
I see that sort of stuff happening in the 70's...but not necessarily the 2070's. Just because the mana level is rising doesn't mean every new supplement needs to have another ED tie-in introduced. The mana level rises very slowly, after all, and is still a couple thousand years away from peaking.
sgtbarnesKY
Spoiler Alert!!

Stop reading now if you haven't played Dawn of the Artifacts: Darkest Hour smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]

Edit: added spoiler tags.
Critias
Right, but to me there's a difference between "having ED ties" and "turning Shadowrun into nothing but Earthdawn with guns." The mana level changes slowly (that's sort of the whole point). It's already spiked tremendously to be as high as it is in 2073. Yes, the continuing rise of the mana level is inevitable...no, inevitable doesn't mean "will happen next week."
Manunancy
QUOTE (Fringe @ May 9 2011, 04:40 AM) *
I can't recall specifically, but I vaguely recall one of the old SR published adventures having a news story about a statue that walked out of a museum one night. I took that to be an obsidiman.

It also could be a spirit possessing it for a visit of the physical world. Or even a prankst using spells to animate a mundane (if old) statue. Another option could be a creative theft 'no siree we didn't steal it it jst came to us on it's own' - though you'd need a hell of pimped-up dryad smoothtalker for the cops to buy it....
sgtbarnesKY
I think what we're seeing in the game's metaplot is the start of the upward cycle, and the first hints of what's coming are starting to appear, and by that I mean just like the metaplot for ED, the fisrt Horrors are starting to appear back into the world and the older Artifacts from the 4th World are powering back on. Now people are correct it's gonna be another 22 centuries before the all heck breaks loose again. However now we're seeing the those first cracks that are allowing the Horrors to slip into the 6th world, Shedem, Surge, Insect/Toxic spirits, heck even the small orichalcum rush Haley's Comet produced, are just hints at things to come. Just like in ED when the Therans created their library and the great Kearns where built. We've got Corps building underground/underwater archologies. There are parallels in the 6th world to draw to ED. I think the creative staff at CGL is doing a good job keeping the ED connection alive. Maybe the Mana levels aren't high enough on earth to support the horrors yet, but that doesn't mean their not in their deep dark metaplane bidding their time. Looking for astral questing mages to find them and become their servants. Dark Old Ones would never do that would they.....Na smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Critias @ May 9 2011, 12:53 AM) *
The mana level changes slowly (that's sort of the whole point). It's already spiked tremendously to be as high as it is in 2073. Yes, the continuing rise of the mana level is inevitable...no, inevitable doesn't mean "will happen next week."

At least by Metahuman Standards.

By Draconic or Immortal Elven Standards, Mana is at the wheel of a Formula One race car and has a lead foot. nyahnyah.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 8 2011, 04:01 PM) *

Lets see...

Troll Metavariant
Changeling III
Granite Skin
Dermal Deposits
Extravagant Eyes [Jewels]
Striking Skin Pigmentation [Stone]

There ya go - might be hard to find a use for them in any city settings though - might be a tribe in an old rock quarry somewhere.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Fringe @ May 8 2011, 07:40 PM) *

I took it to be Animated... There are spells for that after all... wobble.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 9 2011, 01:44 AM) *
At least by Metahuman Standards.

By Draconic or Immortal Elven Standards, Mana is at the wheel of a Formula One race car and has a lead foot. nyahnyah.gif

Not really. By their standards they can see it move, but it's not that fast (their lifespans are only a few cycles around; a dragon will probably only live to see three or four*)

*An immortal elf will see all of them, sure, but given that we're on the third full rotation ever...
CanRay
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 9 2011, 09:28 AM) *
Not really. By their standards they can see it move, but it's not that fast (their lifespans are only a few cycles around; a dragon will probably only live to see three or four*)

*An immortal elf will see all of them, sure, but given that we're on the third full rotation ever...

I was referring to their careful conspir... Plan to deal with the Horrors this time around, and how it's all gone pear shaped.

Hense Dunkie doing what he did.
boskop-albatros
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 9 2011, 11:24 AM) *
I was referring to their careful conspir... Plan to deal with the Horrors this time around, and how it's all gone pear shaped.

Hense Dunkie doing what he did.

Well Dunkie did that so to act as a barrier to the horrors and to be able to govern/regulate how fast the mana rises; trying to hold It back completely IS Impossible rotfl.gif Two things to consider is that adept powers are increasing and that some time in the 2070s that some Big magical ritual will be used for Whatever reason that will cause the Earth's ambient Mana to Rise if even just .1% or Less-The thing is figuring out the who/what/when/where/why and how ect of the next big magical ritual that will go down It will probably be a Real Cool Shadowrun story; the thing is it all inexorably adds up and this will translate into rockpeople sitings in the tabloid scream sheets Ect. that will one day reach the tipping point, The big question is when?-_Their needs to be a new supplement called Scream Sheets that has Shadowrun character rules for all Earthdawn species and any non hominid sentient not covered in running wild, Also does the popularity of infected characters in the Shadowrun pop culture timeline worry you that some kind of negative or even horror influence will use the infected to mount some kind of attack, has it gotten to the point that Ghoulsploitation is the New Fad of 2073?? eek.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (boskop-albatros @ May 20 2011, 10:57 PM) *
Well Dunkie did that so to act as a barrier to the horrors and to be able to govern/regulate how fast the mana rises; trying to hold It back completely IS Impossible rotfl.gif Two things to consider is that adept powers are increasing and that some time in the 2070s that some Big magical ritual will be used for Whatever reason that will cause the Earth's ambient Mana to Rise if even just .1% or Less-The thing is figuring out the who/what/when/where/why and how ect of the next big magical ritual that will go down It will probably be a Real Cool Shadowrun story; the thing is it all inexorably adds up and this will translate into rockpeople sitings in the tabloid scream sheets Ect. that will one day reach the tipping point, The big question is when?-_Their needs to be a new supplement called Scream Sheets that has Shadowrun character rules for all Earthdawn species and any non hominid sentient not covered in running wild, Also does the popularity of infected characters in the Shadowrun pop culture timeline worry you that some kind of negative or even horror influence will use the infected to mount some kind of attack, has it gotten to the point that Ghoulsploitation is the New Fad of 2073?? eek.gif

See, I am in the camp that does not agree with this in the least. I can give my nods to the Earthdawn storyline, but I do not what Shadowrun to go there. Keep them completely seperated. If I wanted to play Earthdawn, I would play Earthdawn... smile.gif
BookWyrm
I wouldn't say that ED & SR are that far away from each other, just taking slightly different paths. There might not be 'official' SR4 rules for creating Obsidimen, Tskrang & Jakalmen as per EarthDawn, but there are always a few loopholes that one might be able to exploit in 'unique circumstances'.
Shadowrun is what YOU make of it.
boskop-albatros
both of you are actually right; see while I want more earthdawn stuff in shadowrun I don't think it should happen All of a Sudden, the Earthdawn races existence in the 2070s should be rumored but not confirmed right away; news and evidence of their existence should come out in a drip drip way and not a torrent-because that ties into how the mana level is rising (unless a new big magical ritual goes off)-the mana is rising in a drip drip drip way. This ties into the increase in adept powers,the new PDF only adepts book reflects this...so how long till adepts and not just full on magicians start using thread magic? I know it is a Metamagic that can be learned in shadowrun..I guess it will take about 10 or 15 years in the shadowrun timeline for it to be come really common, at least buy my estimation. My last question is one I've also asked before, it it cool now in 2073 to be a ghoul/infected? it seams that in the last year to year in a half it kinda looks like it has at least become that way a little in my Eyes cyber.gif nuyen.gif

Still think that a rulebook for Earthdawn species and other sentients not covered in Running Wild should be called Scream Sheets
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012