Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Legends (new sourcebook announced by CGL)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Can't wait to see it... smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Critias @ May 23 2011, 03:40 PM) *
There was a long discussion about that sort of thing amongst us writers, trust me. I think what we settled on was a pretty cool way to handle it.

Did we settle on something finally? I can't remember....
CanRay
QUOTE (redwulf25 @ May 23 2011, 03:40 PM) *
Someone who wants to cap off their campaign with a run to assassinate Lofwyr?

I'd love to see that.

From the Moon. I think I'd be safe enough there for the fight. nyahnyah.gif

Remember folks, the only Great Dragon that has been successfully offed has been Dunkie, and they're still not sure how it was even done.
Method
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 23 2011, 05:03 PM) *
Did we settle on something finally? I can't remember....
Very reassuring Patrick... biggrin.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Method @ May 23 2011, 09:20 PM) *
Very reassuring Patrick... biggrin.gif

I do what I can. smile.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 24 2011, 06:53 AM) *
Remember folks, the only Great Dragon that has been successfully offed has been Dunkie, and they're still not sure how it was even done.
Uh, Feuerschwinge? Nachtmeister?
CanRay
Must be in German sourcebooks.

Or my being hit. Repeatedly. In the head. Is affecting me again.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Critias @ May 23 2011, 08:40 PM) *
There was a long discussion about that sort of thing amongst us writers, trust me. I think what we settled on was a pretty cool way to handle it.

If you'll forgive my brief Reaganism, "Trust, but verify."

Will there be a way for PCs to match the Metahuman NPCs abilities, even if takes ten years worth of Karma, a bankroll worthy of a dragon, and just the right selection of Qualities, or will NPCs be given abilities that PCs can't have (AKA, Yes, Fastjack is better than your PC. He's Fastjack, after all.)?

Don't need details, just some assurance.

(I'll buy it either way mind you!)
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 23 2011, 09:25 AM) *
In a world where a small group of immortals have been playing power games with each other for millennia, is is absurd to think that any mortal could really play them properly. So while I have no problem with giving them physical stats, their collection of knowledge, tactics, and magical power is by definition in a class wholly above the players.

Any game where players can kill a great dragon or an old immortal elf, is NOT Shadowrun. If the players can outplan an immortal who has survived for thousands of years, than the GM is not playing the immortal well enough. Shadowrun is a game where the players scratch out life in the shadows of these powers (and of course the Megacorps, which are the new third set of power players in the sixth world).

You are entitled to believe this, however let me put forth a counter argument:

Immortal elves are stupid, they were stupid when they were first cooked up, their just as stupid now. The game and setting only gets better without them

See, two differing opinions, neither grounded entirely in fact only belief. I've always vaguely blamed the Highlander movie and white wolf for this utterly ridiculous idea that we've got immortal elves running around. It's the best sort of literary short cut, you take a past event, point to one of your characters and say "THEY" were responsible for it. Character gets a competence boost. You would have Immortal Elves take that to the (il)logical extreme, that we have a small cadre of beings that while having their existence being almost completely unknown have secretly been involved in every important event.

Further ok lets say that your immortal elf does exist, and lets say they have perfect memory (something I cannot recall the immortal elves particularly being stated to have). Even if you are the greatest sword fighter in the world you can still take a shot to the eye, you can still state enthusiastically that the cannon crews couldn't hit an elephant from this distance. You can still state that you are immortal and guarantee your death. The simple fact is that as much as we like to tell ourselves otherwise, (meta)humans even magical ones if their based on a human template are still frail creatures when it comes to kinetic force.

P.P.S. I am not saying that no human alive could take on dragons or immortal elves, only that the route is not as a Shadowrunner, but rather as a a business-person with the savy and tenacity to rise to real power in Megacorp. And playing that character over the time it would take is also not the game called Shadowrun.

Actually that is what you are saying, because in Shadowrun Shadowrunners are the pinacle of human potential, full stop, Damient Knight, is a prime runner. That is a convention of the rules system and therefore of the game world.
Critias
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ May 23 2011, 11:44 PM) *
If you'll forgive my brief Reaganism, "Trust, but verify."

Will there be a way for PCs to match the Metahuman NPCs abilities, even if takes ten years worth of Karma, a bankroll worthy of a dragon, and just the right selection of Qualities, or will NPCs be given abilities that PCs can't have (AKA, Yes, Fastjack is better than your PC. He's Fastjack, after all.)?

Don't need details, just some assurance.

(I'll buy it either way mind you!)

I'm not out to be coy about it, but I'm genuinely not sure what I can or can't say without violating the NDA. Saying "we came up with something" is kosher, I'm certain, but saying what we came up with (or otherwise giving more details) is moving a conversation somewhere I'm not sure is cool. I'll tell you that I know one -- the character I'm handling the chapter and stats for -- is perfectly rules legal, albeit experienced (and as a result, powerful). Talking about other peoples' stuff, though, is something that may rock the boat.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Critias @ May 24 2011, 06:21 AM) *
I'm not out to be coy about it, but I'm genuinely not sure what I can or can't say without violating the NDA. Saying "we came up with something" is kosher, I'm certain, but saying what we came up with (or otherwise giving more details) is moving a conversation somewhere I'm not sure is cool. I'll tell you that I know one -- the character I'm handling the chapter and stats for -- is perfectly rules legal, albeit experienced (and as a result, powerful). Talking about other peoples' stuff, though, is something that may rock the boat.

Oh, I understand... I've signed an NDA or two as well. (My work never got picked, but, you know, I was floating around all the same!)

What you said is plenty fine, and I have no intention of prying further. Consider it trusted and verified.

Huzzah!
Critias
Personally, I think it's a book that will elicit a strong, albeit mixed, reaction from long-time fans. With stuff like Runner's Toolkit primarily being useful to new Shadowrun players, I think Street Legends is going to appeal the most powerfully to the guys (and gals) who've been in The Sixth World for the long haul. The ones who recognize all the names from that upcoming releases blurb are going to be the ones that love it (or hate it) the most.

Because stats are bring provided, there's going to be room for disagreement. To some campaigns a badass might not have the numbers to back up his badassery, in other campaigns they'll be completely untouchable. Depending on the power level of any given GM/player, and their expectations, some folks will be flabbergasted at how tough some of these guys are, while others will be unimpressed and think they're weak; that's just the nature of supplying stats to something.

The fallout of a book of this nature without those stats, though, would be akin to War! levels of irritation among the community (and just as rightfully so, in my opinion). Not many people want all fluff and no crunch at all, right? So in addition to focusing on these legends and giving more detail about who they are and what they do, in addition to attaching some plot hooks and metaplot elements to keep them useful to many a campaign, in addition to having some sweet artwork lined up in what's going to be a gorgeous book...we're givin' 'em all numbers.

Like always, though, our numbers aren't the game. You and your buddies slinging dice around a table, sharing pizza and Mt. Dew, is the game. Tweak 'em like you want to to make them fit your power level, if you think changes are needed.
ggodo
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 23 2011, 07:53 PM) *
I'd love to see that.

From the Moon. I think I'd be safe enough there for the fight. nyahnyah.gif

My last campaign ended with the powergamer trying to kill Lofwyr after Lofwyr sent the team to the moon. Lofwyr backhanded him through the wall. While in human form.
Kesendeja
RAW there is no way to have a skill higher than 7, but on pg 303 in the 4A book dragons have a Assensing of 8, and Sorcery Group of 8. And lets not talk Great Dragons with their skills of Conjuring Group 8, and Sorcery Group of 12. I know they're dragons, but if they breaks this consistently, GM's should have the options however rare and expensive for NPC's and the occasional PC to be able to do the same with some sort of guideline.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 24 2011, 05:39 AM) *
Uh, Feuerschwinge? Nachtmeister?

Nachtmeister was killed by another Great dragon. Lofwyr to be exact i think.
Feuerschwinge was shot down over the Sox but survived to become a toxic mutant great dragon of Radiation.
Wether or not she was killed in a simple napalm bombing run later on is up to debate . .
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 24 2011, 03:17 AM) *
Feuerschwinge was shot down over the Sox but survived to become a toxic mutant great dragon of Radiation.
Wether or not she was killed in a simple napalm bombing run later on is up to debate . .

OK, so one Great was taken down by the Second-Most Great Dragon (Other than Dunkie) of the time.

As for the other... Napalm killing a Dragon? Great, now we have a Toxic Mutant Great Radioactive Dragon (Gojira?) with burn scars.
hermit
The fallout of a book of this nature without those stats, though, would be akin to War! levels of irritation among the community (and just as rightfully so, in my opinion). Not many people want all fluff and no crunch at all, right? So in addition to focusing on these legends and giving more detail about who they are and what they do, in addition to attaching some plot hooks and metaplot elements to keep them useful to many a campaign, in addition to having some sweet artwork lined up in what's going to be a gorgeous book...we're givin' 'em all numbers.

A guide on how to use powerful NPCs in games would be handy, though, and add to the gaming value of such a book. And maybe a guide to adapt the stats to different power level groups.

The worst thing about War, though,wasn't that it was all fluff and no crunch (it certainly wasn't), it was the extremly low quality of writing, especially in the crunch section (with things like Slow, the broken mega damage rules, statted nukes that do less damage than a bunch of grenades). In the end, a product rises and falls with it's production quality most, concept second only.

And while we're at it, whatever happened to 99 bottles?
TheOOB
While I'd like to be excited, I can't shake the feeling that we'll pay for a full gaming book that will contain some good stories and stats on characters you're unlikely to ever use, when it might be better to drop the stats and just have a cheap paperback book full of short stories.

The again, could be great, time will tell.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ May 24 2011, 10:12 AM) *
RAW there is no way to have a skill higher than 7, but on pg 303 in the 4A book dragons have a Assensing of 8, and Sorcery Group of 8. And lets not talk Great Dragons with their skills of Conjuring Group 8, and Sorcery Group of 12. I know they're dragons, but if they breaks this consistently, GM's should have the options however rare and expensive for NPC's and the occasional PC to be able to do the same with some sort of guideline.

That is overlooking the special edge related power that great dragons come with...
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 24 2011, 10:24 AM) *
OK, so one Great was taken down by the Second-Most Great Dragon (Other than Dunkie) of the time.

As for the other... Napalm killing a Dragon? Great, now we have a Toxic Mutant Great Radioactive Dragon (Gojira?) with burn scars.

Basically.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (hermit @ May 24 2011, 02:56 AM) *
A guide on how to use powerful NPCs in games would be handy, though, and add to the gaming value of such a book. And maybe a guide to adapt the stats to different power level groups.

And while we're at it, whatever happened to 99 bottles?

Do you really think this, that there should be a whole book devoted to how to use powerfull NPC's in your games? You'd really rather set that then statblocks and info splats? Because i find this nitpick absurd.
Grinder
It may be part of te book - hermit didn't demand it to be a complete book.
Fatum
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 24 2011, 12:17 PM) *
Yeah, Lofwyr it was.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 24 2011, 12:17 PM) *
I'm so totally putting my tinfoil hat on.
No, seriously - isn't that whole "Feuerschwinge is aliiiive and she's gathering an army of toxic mutants" just a conspiracy theory? I haven't gotten to reading SOX...

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ May 24 2011, 02:54 PM) *
That is overlooking the special edge related power that great dragons come with...
Dragons have their own innate magic tradition inaccessible to other races; it takes thousands of years for a Great to reach the height of his power.
Whether there are rules for duplicating that or not, where are you getting the NPCs to use them?
Stahlseele
No, seriously - isn't that whole "Feuerschwinge is aliiiive and she's gathering an army of toxic mutants" just a conspiracy theory? I haven't gotten to reading SOX...

Yes and no. It was detailed in a Novel and there are Hints about it in the SOX book i think.
But no Body was found. Again.
Sengir
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 24 2011, 01:31 PM) *
Yes and no. It was detailed in a Novel and there are Hints about it in the SOX book i think.

The book got lost during my last move, but I'm quite sure that it left open the possibility of the "dragon" being nothing but an illusion cast by the toxic or that mad Arab (hey, I didn't make up that pun) mage...
hermit
Do you really think this, that there should be a whole book devoted to how to use powerfull NPC's in your games? You'd really rather set that then statblocks and info splats? Because i find this nitpick absurd.

Do you really not understand I meant the guide to be a part of the book, or is this just your usual trolling? Either way, it's certainly not my nitpick which looks absurd here.

I vaguely remember Eisman mentioning something after SoE's release that they consider the Heintz novels only vaguely canon and toned them down (there were no nuked Russian cities either, for instance), and that what the runners in Gottes Engel saw was actually a huge toxic spirit. There's something to that effect in SOX, too.

It could, of course, be Toxic Lethe.
Grinder
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 24 2011, 01:03 PM) *
Because i find this nitpick absurd.

QUOTE (hermit @ May 24 2011, 04:33 PM) *
Do you really not understand I meant the guide to be a part of the book, or is this just your usual trolling? Either way, it's certainly not my nitpick which looks absurd here.

Stop that.
MJBurrage
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 24 2011, 12:59 AM) *
...I've always vaguely blamed the Highlander movie and white wolf for this utterly ridiculous idea that we've got immortal elves running around. It's the best sort of literary short cut, you take a past event, point to one of your characters and say "THEY" were responsible for it. Character gets a competence boost. You would have Immortal Elves take that to the (il)logical extreme, that we have a small cadre of beings that while having their existence being almost completely unknown have secretly been involved in every important event.

Further ok lets say that your immortal elf does exist, and lets say they have perfect memory (something I cannot recall the immortal elves particularly being stated to have). Even if you are the greatest sword fighter in the world you can still take a shot to the eye, you can still state enthusiastically that the cannon crews couldn't hit an elephant from this distance. You can still state that you are immortal and guarantee your death. The simple fact is that as much as we like to tell ourselves otherwise, (meta)humans even magical ones if their based on a human template are still frail creatures when it comes to kinetic force.
First, like it or not, Immortal elves that have survived for over five thousand years do exist in the Shadowrun canon. Second, they are officially responsible for very little of recorded history, since they mostly stayed in the shadows. Sure there are rumors that they were many important figures in history, but I do not recall those rumors ever being presented as fact. One good example is the immortal named Leonardo who clearly is a fan of Da Vinci. While rumors have claimed they were one and the same, Ehran has clearly discussed talking to the actual mortal human Da Vinchi.

I also never said the immortal elves should have unobtainable physical power. What I said was that the level of tactical ability and caution required to survive for over five thousand years (when physically you are no harder to kill than the toughest mortals) IS almost unfathomable. If any runner who has only been around around for a mortals lifetime is able to get the drop on an NPC that has survived thousands of years of such plotting, then the NPC was poorly played by the GM.

As for stating out such immortals; if they only earn 1 Karma a year, they have over 5000 to play with. More likely they keep a very low profile almost all the time, but just one adventure grade outing every few years would give them at least 10,000+ karma to be built with. So if one follows all the rules for PCs, then they long ago maxed out every single survival related skill. Even after becoming double digit Initiates they would have thousands of Karma left for knowledge skills to back up their physical and magical abilities.

When the Fourth World ended, there were probably hundreds of elves who who were immortal by birth, but by the beginning of the Sixth World we are down to around a dozen (maybe a score) that have survived the world and each other. To presume that a recently created character is going to be a real threat to them is hubris.

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 24 2011, 12:59 AM) *
Actually that is what you are saying, because in Shadowrun Shadowrunners are the pinacle of human potential, full stop, Damient Knight, is a prime runner. That is a convention of the rules system and therefore of the game world.
Damian Knight is actually a perfect example of the point I made. No matter how tough he is stat-wise it took a move into running a mega corp to become a real power player. While running a megacorp might be a fun game to play to play for some, it is not Shadowrun as defined by Shadowrun's rules and focus.

Summary: You don't have to like immortals, you don't have to even have them exist in your game. But they are canon, and simply by surviving so long they have demonstrated planning and tactics beyond any mortal character played by the rules.

P.S. In over 20 years of playing and GMing Shadowrun, immortal NPCs have never significantly interacted with PCs with the single exception of playing the Harlequin adventure back in the day. The one exception I can think of in recent material is Frosty, and as a new immortal, she is more potential than power today. It is not immunity to age that makes old immortals powerful, it is the experience of living all that time.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Critias @ May 23 2011, 11:21 PM) *
I'll tell you that I know one -- the character I'm handling the chapter and stats for -- is perfectly rules legal, albeit experienced (and as a result, powerful). Talking about other peoples' stuff, though, is something that may rock the boat.

So's the one I'm working on, FWIW.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (ggodo @ May 24 2011, 12:04 AM) *
My last campaign ended with the powergamer trying to kill Lofwyr after Lofwyr sent the team to the moon. Lofwyr backhanded him through the wall. While in human form.

Ain't magic grand? smile.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 24 2011, 04:59 PM) *
One good example is the immortal named Leonardo who clearly is a fan of Da Vinci. While rumors have claimed they were one and the same, Ehran has clearly discussed talking to the actual mortal human Da Vinchi.

That would be the in-universe reason, the reality was more like "they overdid the ancient immortals conspiracy, thereby necessitating a classic 'it was only a dream/delusion' retcon" wink.gif

And it definitely was a change for the better.
Stahlseele
Alachia was Queen of England once, and Eva Braun i think . .
suoq
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ May 24 2011, 10:59 AM) *
It is not immunity to age that makes old immortals powerful, it is the experience of living all that time.

The problem with old age is that it becomes irrelevant.

Imagining that there is a creature who has been watching from the shadows for the past 5000 years. A quick look at any history timeline will show that the first 2500 were really pretty pointless. It took about 2000 years to go from wheeled vehicles to iron smelting ( http://www.sciencetimeline.net/prehistory.htm ). Most of science is recent and the rate at which it's discovered appears to be increasing (See Robert Anton Wilson's "The Acceleration of Knowledge").

Imagine that such a creature pokes his head out of the shadows when Shadowrun was first written (1989). He sees this bright new communication technology ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptbJZ9HBw2k ). He takes a look at the top of the line information devices ( http://www.be.wvu.edu/divecon/econ/sobel/E...989computer.jpg ).

By 2011 he's living in a world that's changing faster than it's ever changed before. 4800 years did not prepare him for the passage between that cellphone and computer ad to an iPhone/Android world. The mortal person who was born in 1989 understands the internet, understands texting, understands iPhones. And they understand it because they never had to understand a different way. This is the mortal's world, not the immortal's. He's still in the age of Alexandria, not the age of Twitter.

This poor creature has spent 4980 years without an internet. He spent the first 1600 years watching the alphabet get slowly created and hieroglyphics getting phased out. That sort of experience doesn't prepare someone for the last 100 years, the last 50, the last 20.

4980 years of his life is not only largely irrelevant, it's become a handicap. Years of tea ceremonies does not prepare anyone for Red Bull. Even if he somehow tried to keep up and mastered recent new technology, such as the Palm Pilot, that leaves him with a plethora of completely useless knowledge.

Assuming 1 karma a year, 1000 points of that Karma are spent on pottery and plowing and taking care of the Oxen. Maybe in the 1600's he specialized in flintlocks. We didn't even have an automatic rifle till 1903. The vast majority of that 1 karma a year is completely and totally obsolete. How many points of Etiquette for societies that don't even exist anymore?

It's a brave new world.
Mäx
QUOTE (suoq @ May 24 2011, 08:03 PM) *
Imagining that there is a creature who has been watching from the shadows for the past 5000 years. A quick look at any history timeline will show that the first 2500 were really pretty pointless. It took about 2000 years to go from wheeled vehicles to iron smelting ( http://www.sciencetimeline.net/prehistory.htm ). Most of science is recent and the rate at which it's discovered appears to be increasing (See Robert Anton Wilson's "The Acceleration of Knowledge").

This would maybe be relevant if the SR worlds history was same as ours, but it really isn't.
KCKitsune
suoq... the link for that computer... MY GOD! $9000 for a computer! silly.gif

QUOTE (Mäx @ May 24 2011, 12:15 PM) *
This would maybe be relevant if the SR worlds history was same as ours, but it really isn't.

Except the concepts that suoq brought up are still valid. Actually, it's even worse. The level of tech acceleration is higher in the SR world than RL.
X-Kalibur
So... does this book mean they will finally confirm Damien Knight's true identity as former Echo Mirage team leader Major David Gavilan?

<edit> I mean, while they are busy jumping the shark and all...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ May 24 2011, 10:15 AM) *
suoq... the link for that computer... MY GOD! $9000 for a computer! silly.gif

Except the concepts that suoq brought up are still valid. Actually, it's even worse. The level of tech acceleration is higher in the SR world than RL.

Except that the IE's and GD's came from the Orichalcum Age, where Magic ruled, and took the place of what we use for Cybertech in the 2070's. Maybe Culture took a nose dive after the 4th Age ended, but so what. They have thousands of years to work on stuff they already knew. The last 400-500 years (1600's and on) were just a re-affirmation of what they mostly knew already.

Anyone capable of living for those 7,000-10,000 years is quite capable of adapting. They have had to do it enough.

Not that I am hoping for more ED stuff in my Shadowrun... smile.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (suoq @ May 24 2011, 09:03 PM) *
The problem with old age is that it becomes irrelevant.

Tech has changed much. Humans have changed very little (and an Immortal Elf from the Fourth Age is better prepared for the change the Awakening brought than the whole humanity combined).

By 2011 he's living in a world that's changing faster than it's ever changed before.
Nope. Throughout those 5000 years an Immortal Elf had a chance to see the rise and fall of Hellenistic civilization; the rise and fall of the Romans; the Mongol and Osman conquests; the Renaissance; the Age of Discovery etcetera etcetera. The world has changed vastly over a single mortal lifetime for uncounted times, Immortals should be well prepared for riding that wave.

This poor creature has spent 4980 years without an internet. He spent the first 1600 years watching the alphabet get slowly created and hieroglyphics getting phased out. That sort of experience doesn't prepare someone for the last 100 years, the last 50, the last 20. 4980 years of his life is not only largely irrelevant, it's become a handicap.
Do you think politic intrigue is that different today from what the Ancient History had to offer? As correctly pointed out up there, the whole setup is rather like the Dark Heresy Ascension subsystem - what matters not who you are or how strong you are individually, but your ability to get what you want from others, your skill at working the system.

Assuming 1 karma a year, 1000 points of that Karma are spent on pottery and plowing and taking care of the Oxen. Maybe in the 1600's he specialized in flintlocks. We didn't even have an automatic rifle till 1903. The vast majority of that 1 karma a year is completely and totally obsolete. How many points of Etiquette for societies that don't even exist anymore?
Or maybe he spent those on Physical skills. Or the Influence skill group. Or, you know, Magical skills, something the humanity hasn't been aware about until very very recently.
Actually, even if not, his skills at wielding an assault rifle, piloting a plane or bypassing electronics will still be superior, because he was there when the first test devices appeared, has seen the technology develop, and has more experience with it than any living person.

It's a brave new world.
Childtalk :ь
MJBurrage
QUOTE (Sengir @ May 24 2011, 12:44 PM) *
That would be the in-universe reason, the reality was more like "they overdid the ancient immortals conspiracy, thereby necessitating a classic 'it was only a dream/delusion' retcon" wink.gif

And it definitely was a change for the better.
Ehran talking about the very human Da Vinci, was long before Leonardo the IE ever showed up in the game's writing.

I have noticed that IE haters tend to take every in-game rumor about them as in-game fact when making lists of reasons not to like them. One of my favourite things about the game is that since almost all information about the world is from in-game sources, you can make of it what you want.

Yes, we the players know they were behind the founding of two countries. But—aside from street rumor—they are a tiny part of every game I have played. That does not stop some people (in and out of game) from seeing them behind everything that happens.
hermit
4980 years of his life is not only largely irrelevant, it's become a handicap. Years of tea ceremonies does not prepare anyone for Red Bull. Even if he somehow tried to keep up and mastered recent new technology, such as the Palm Pilot, that leaves him with a plethora of completely useless knowledge.

And since IEs are more like 10.000 years old, they're about 4000 years head in magic. Half of which they cannot use yet, but each IE easily knows more about magic than the entire rest of modern SR civilisation put together. The kind of magic that, like the Great Ghost Dance, doesn't even have stats.

Yeah, they sunk 5000 of their 10000 Karma into skills like skyship sailing, theran politics and creatures of the blood wood. the other 5000 went into initiation and spells, metamagic that is unknown to any but them and the more advanced dragons, and they sure accumulated a HELL of a lot of items and money. Besides, it's not like they're not collecting Karma anymore. And are unable to learn (though some clearly are unwilling).

And what, exactly, is necessary in reparation for Red Bull anyway. Really Bad Taste (Soft Drinks) 6 (+2)?
Critias
QUOTE (hermit @ May 24 2011, 03:56 AM) *

I'm not out to get all nit-picky and quibble over every line of text that's being written, Hermit, but in the very quote you posted this in reply to, I did say:
So in addition to focusing on these legends and giving more detail about who they are and what they do, in addition to attaching some plot hooks and metaplot elements to keep them useful to many a campaign, in addition to having some sweet artwork lined up in what's going to be a gorgeous book...

So, yes. We're well aware that epic, legendary, high-power characters like this may not be immediately useful to every single GM in every single game out there, and we're doing what we can to help folks integrate them into their own campaigns.
suoq
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 24 2011, 01:33 PM) *
Humans have changed very little
"We are more different genetically from people living 5,000 years ago than they were different from Neanderthals." John Hawks -University of Wisconsin anthropologist
Your statement is vague enough to be interpreted in many ways, but I cannot think of a way that humanity has changed very little in 5000 years.
Nope. Throughout those 5000 years an Immortal Elf had a chance to see the rise and fall of Hellenistic civilization; the rise and fall of the Romans; the Mongol and Osman conquests; the Renaissance; the Age of Discovery etcetera etcetera. The world has changed vastly over a single mortal lifetime for uncounted times, Immortals should be well prepared for riding that wave.
Ripples do not prepare a person for a tidal wave.
Do you think politic intrigue is that different today from what the Ancient History had to offer?
Yes. I do.
As correctly pointed out up there, the whole setup is rather like the Dark Heresy Ascension subsystem - what matters not who you are or how strong you are individually, but your ability to get what you want from others, your skill at working the system.
The system changed. The politics of even 200 years ago are not the politics of today. Anyone with 5000 years of humanity is going to stare at the tanks doing absolutely nothing in Egypt and realize that they don't understand what's happening because 5000 years of humanity doesn't prepare someone for a military that lets people spray graffiti on their tanks.

Actually, even if not, his skills at wielding an assault rifle, piloting a plane or bypassing electronics will still be superior, because he was there when the first test devices appeared, has seen the technology develop, and has more experience with it than any living person.
So what has he been doing for the past 20 years? All of them? Is he keeping up with all of the magic, all of the technology, all of everything that's changing every single day, from nanites to technomancers to bug spirits?

It's a new world with dangers that simply didn't exist until now. Whatever he's spent the past 5000 years preparing for, I doubt it was today.

Their best bet for survival? Get out. Get far away from everything. Don't even be in the same time zone as something that might invite a Thor Shot. But don't get in the middle of a world that's changing faster than ever before or something you don't understand is going to take you out.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (suoq @ May 24 2011, 12:26 PM) *
The system changed. The politics of even 200 years ago are not the politics of today. Anyone with 5000 years of humanity is going to stare at the tanks doing absolutely nothing in Egypt and realize that they don't understand what's happening because 5000 years of humanity doesn't prepare someone for a military that lets people spray graffiti on their tanks.

Politics is no different from the Roman Era to our own Era. It is all about power and maneuvering for such.

So what has he been doing for the past 20 years? All of them? Is he keeping up with all of the magic, all of the technology, all of everything that's changing every single day, from nanites to technomancers to bug spirits?

It's a new world with dangers that simply didn't exist until now. Whatever he's spent the past 5000 years preparing for, I doubt it was today.

Yet you contend that a human born in the era is uniquely equipped for such things. I call BS on that. An IE/GD is just as capable of learning as a human is. More so, since his attributes are likely higher than the Human's is. You are talking about creatureS that likely have maximum stats. They can adapt, create and outperform any other species in existence, inherently.

Their best bet for survival? Get out. Get far away from everything. Don't even be in the same time zone as something that might invite a Thor Shot. But don't get in the middle of a world that's changing faster than ever before or something you don't understand is going to take you out.

I cannot disagree more. They (IE's and GD's) have seen the rise and fall of civilizations on such a scale that we cannot even comprehend it, and you think that modern humanity is better equipped to handle that? Nope, not buying it... wobble.gif
MJBurrage
If someone born in the last 60 years can keep up with than world than so can someone with a 5000+ year head start.

Speculating that an immortal must stagnate over time, and can no longer learn new skills is interesting, and even the focus of some good non-Shadowrun fiction. But I have never seen anything in Shadowrun that implies some acquired inability to learn important skills that comes with age.

Sure the fluff has them lament on the changes in the world, but none of it suggests that they fail to keep up on skills that would keep them alive.
Fatum
QUOTE (suoq @ May 24 2011, 11:26 PM) *
Your statement is vague enough to be interpreted in many ways, but I cannot think of a way that humanity has changed very little in 5000 years.
Same goals, same motivations, same ways to reach said goals.

Ripples do not prepare a person for a tidal wave.
So, Alexander's or Genghis-Khan's conquests were ripples? They were insignificant? They conquered pretty much the whole world known to them - in but a single lifetime.
The Fall of Rome was insignificant? When the entirety of the world as most then-Europeans knew it fell apart? The World Wars, maybe, too?
Would you please name the changes in 2000-2070 that'd be more significant, and at the same time not something the Immortal Elves could foretell 5000 years prior?

Yes. I do.
And never before was a ruler removed by the revolting plebes which the army refused to fight.
Never before has non-cooperation ousted a government!

An Immortal Elf knows more about magic (and Invae) than the entirety of metahumanity put together.
Besides, an immortal has around what, 150 years to learn electronics, driving cars, flying planes and firing modern firearms? Sure he may lag on nanites and technomancers, or any of the latest developments, but he's had plenty of time to get used to what the XX century had to offer.

Surviving for 5k years strongly implies that immortals are not in any way stupid. If a human with 20 years of experience is capable of understanding what's going on around him, an Immortal Elf is capable of doing that better, because he, unlike said human, witnessed the reasons for current events (and, most likely, has much more first-hand info than most humans).
Sengir
QUOTE (suoq @ May 24 2011, 08:26 PM) *

An army (especially a conscript one) refusing to put down the opposition. Booooring, that's one of the reasons conscript armies were introduced in the first place

The same way as anyone else I guess...only that for them magic and various magical threats are no reason to enter headless chicken mode.
Brazilian_Shinobi
If Immortal Elves are on the power-scale (or near) of Great Dragons who spent the last 5 thousand years sleeping and were able to quie quickly catch the details of post-modern world, I don't see how the Immortal Elves, whom interacted with mankind the whole time, can not.
LurkerOutThere
I fail to see how simple longevity leads to brilliance or tactical mastery when longevity is their primary stick, immunity to age and disease protects one better then immunity to violence would.

@shinobi: The contant case about dragons is they have the physical might to stand up to armies on top of and augmented by their magical abilities. Putting IE's on that same tier is pure wankery. It's people who got hung up on Highlander (and you cannot tell me with a straight face that it didn't influence the immortal elf plotline)..3

I'll say it again, and this is my opinion only, Immortal Elves weaken Shadowrun their weak storytelling and they get WOD all over my sixth world. I want this to be a game about magic and future tech, immortal elves and to a large extent dragons skew that ratio all out of whack.
suoq
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 24 2011, 02:50 PM) *
you think that modern humanity is better equipped to handle that?

Nope. The mooks die all the time. Everyone dies all the time. Just being old doesn't make you bulletproof.

If you're old BECAUSE you're bulletproof, that's a completely different thing.

I'm not saying that mortals are better than immortals. They aren't. But you don't have to be better than someone to kill them. It didn't matter how much karma George S Patton had, he still bought it in a car crash.

And in Shadowrun, even dragons die.

Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 24 2011, 05:56 PM) *
I'll say it again, and this is my opinion only, Immortal Elves weaken Shadowrun their weak storytelling and they get WOD all over my sixth world. I want this to be a game about magic and future tech, immortal elves and to a large extent dragons skew that ratio all out of whack.

The sentence above does not compile. Now, I would agree with you that if somehow some elves, and to an extent even dwarves, orks and trolls were capable to create something similar to what dragons did to sleep during the down cycle, I would accept it more easily.

But really, having some kind of guys in the shadows during the entire civilization does not me rub the wrong way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012