Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A dilemma, of sorts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
BookWyrm
OK, let's start with a little background;

When the NYC adventures started being offered on DriveThruRPG, I was interested (since I live an hour's train-ride away), but became a little disheartened when no further guides were produced. Still, with the NYC scenarios, there were some little tidbits & I planned to grab the rest (I have #1-7 & 10) & left them in my wishlist for later pickup.
Then I had a little financial difficulty. I added more PDFs to the list, such as Parazooology, This Old Drone, SRM03-08, 09, 11, 12, MilTechSpec, Way of the Adept, Unfriendly Skies......
Now I've added the PDF of Runner's Tooklit to the list. The whole thing now totals at a little over $75. Ouch.

Here's my thinking; do I really need the remaining NYC adventures, just for the location info? I had contemplated picking up Runner's Toolkit boxed when if hit stores, but the PDF is looking just as good & would save me an expensive round-trip into NYC.

So, I'm asking you, fellow Dumpshockers. Should I keep the Manhattan scenarios in my list, for what NYC info they provide?
Fringe
It depends on why you're getting all of this.

Are you going to run the Missions content? If that's the sole reason, you could probably postpone things like Parazoology and Unfriendly Skies (which see little use in the NYC Missions). You could postpone or cancel Way of the Adept (which is not Missions-legal, because it's all an "Option").

If you're not running Missions and you're just looking for NYC source material, you're better off getting The Rotten Apple (assuming you don't already have it), which provides more basic source material than the Missions put together. Yes, the Missions give you a sense of the storyline, but there's not a lot of backdrop there, because they're designed for a convention time slot, so there's not a lot of time for it.

Are you playing/GMing a rigger? If not, you could postpone This Old Drone and MilTechSpec (all or mostly drones and vehicles).

I don't really intend to buy the Runner's Toolkit, but that's just me. I have a screen and not enough use for everything else in the box to justify the $40 price tag. If you have one of those vinyl screens with inserts, you can do as well with the PDF version, unless you need the shinies.
BookWyrm
I'm getting the source-files (This Old Drone, MilSpecTech, Parazoology, ect) because I'm something of a completist & I do love reading the information there, even if I don't use said information in a campaign. The scenarios I had initially planned on getting because they're set in a city not far from me & they would make a good companion piece to The Rotten Apple (which I already have). I can pass on the scenarios in a pinch & come back for them later when time & funds allow. I am torn between either the boxed set of Runner's Tookit & the PDF, mostly because the PDF is less & most of the information is just reprinted.

As for running a Rigger, I'm more partial to Mages, but I do love all the nice shiny (& not-so-shiny) toys. wink.gif
KarmaInferno
If you are just wanting background info on Manhattan, I would honestly hold off on getting the Missions stuff.

While there is some info in the Missions, none of it's particularly detailed. Remember that the Missions are designed for a convention judge to be able to run it in a four hour gaming slot. There frankly isn't TIME to give a lot of detailed descriptions. So most of the content is focused on the immediate needs of the various encounter scenes.

-k
BookWyrm
Thank you both, Fringe & KarmaInferno. I've decided to remove the Missions from my wishlist for now, & hopefully soon will DL the reamaining files. I'm leaning (about 65%) toward getting the Runner's Toolkit PDF instead of the boxed set.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012