Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ¥ vs. :nuyen:
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
Sengir
The title basically says it...while it's nice to have a button in the smiley column instead of having to type Alt + 0165 for a yen sign, why not insert the Unicode ¥ character instead of a graphic? The nuyen.gif looks really fuzzy on larger monitors, and when not logged in the URL breaks the text flow (unlike smilies, currency symbols tend to be somewhere in the middle of the text).
etherial
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 6 2011, 06:14 AM) *
The title basically says it...while it's nice to have a button in the smiley column instead of having to type Alt + 0165 for a yen sign, why not insert the Unicode ¥ character instead of a graphic? The nuyen.gif looks really fuzzy on larger monitors, and when not logged in the URL breaks the text flow (unlike smilies, currency symbols tend to be somewhere in the middle of the text).

Get a mac. It's the easy way.
Sengir
While Apple sure knows how to build displays, I doubt they know some magic way to make a zoomed bitmap look crisp, or make a pseudo-URL in the middle of a sentence more aesthetic wink.gif

My current solution by the way is to simply use a Privoxy rule for some text replacement magic.
CanRay
Probably because there's a system in place with the forums for custom smilies but not for custom characters unless you use the ALT+0165.
Thanee
QUOTE (etherial @ Jun 7 2011, 02:44 AM) *
Get a mac. It's the easy way.

The easy way to waste money in a completely unrelated way to the topic? Yeah, that would be right, I guess. wink.gif

For the record, I always use the ¥ myself, because of the reasons stated. The nuyen.gif just kinda looks out of place in the text.

But as CanRay said, the forum can only display images not characters that way. Though I assume there might be a profanity filter, which could be used for such text replacements.

Bye
Thanee
phlapjack77
urge to test profanity filter...rising... smile.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 7 2011, 03:35 PM) *
Probably because there's a system in place with the forums for custom smilies but not for custom characters unless you use the ALT+0165.

I admit that I don't know much about BB software, but my guess would be that the smiley button in the posting editor is a simple bit of JS which says "onClick, insert $STRING into the text field at current cursor position". Or am I completely off the track there?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jun 8 2011, 03:53 AM) *
The easy way to waste money in a completely unrelated way to the topic? Yeah, that would be right, I guess. wink.gif

Well, that and being able to type ¥ as Option-y rather than as ALT+assorted.

~J
Stahlseele
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jun 8 2011, 11:44 AM) *
urge to test profanity filter...rising... smile.gif

what profanity filter? O.o
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012