Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire Dispatch
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Digital Heroin
So the Canucks lost. Care about hockey or not (I'm a lip service fan at best), a game seven in Vancouver could only have ended this way. A riot. And for a little insight into how the brave and the bold (firefighters) respond to mob lunacy, here is the stream for the dispatch online:

Vancouver Fire Dispatch Streaming

I'm not even sure why, but they stream it. This of course is only relevant in the next few hours. Notable for me was when a firefighter had cleared a parkade roof of people because a nearby dumpster fire was threatening to spread the structure, and from the roof he assessed there was no way to get past the crowd, and you could here the people cheering in the background. Fascinatingly idiotic display of mob mind.
Stahlseele
Sportsfans all should be shot . . Or at least the 90% insisting on being like that <.<
Cheops
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 16 2011, 01:34 PM) *
Sportsfans all should be shot . . Or at least the 90% insisting on being like that <.<

As a die hard Canucks fan I want to make something absolutely 100% crystal clear:

These yahoos were in no way Canucks fans. They were hooligans who were planning on taking advantage of the situation win or lose. Their only purpose was to be a hooligan. They did the same thing at the Olympics last year too.
CanRay
Well, they are Canadians and this is Hockey. Important business.

But, yeah, most people like this would be the types that would look for any reason to pull some of the good, ol' fashioned ultraviolence.

"It's Tuesday" might be reason enough for some.
fistandantilus4.0
While interesting to me personally (Sharks fun unfortunately), relevancy to Shadowrun, besides "mob mentality"?
CanRay
Why you should never, ever plan a Shadowrun to happen when playoffs are finishing up.

Your escape route might go through a riot. nyahnyah.gif

And there's nothing more violent than Urban Brawl Hooligans! Even Rugby and Soccer/Football Hooligans aren't as violent as them!

EDIT: IIRC, Rugby Hooligans are on the teams that are playing, right?
Fortinbras
Good excuse to translate "Blood & Games" into English.
Fyndhal
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 16 2011, 11:44 AM) *
Well, they are Canadians and this is Hockey. Important business.

But, yeah, most people like this would be the types that would look for any reason to pull some of the good, ol' fashioned ultraviolence.

"It's Tuesday" might be reason enough for some.

Chun Li: [to Bison] It was twenty years ago. You hadn't promoted yourself to general yet. You were just a petty drug lord. Huh! You and your gang of murderers gathered your small ounce of courage to raid across the border for food... weapons...
[indicates her binds]
Chun Li: ... hmph. Slave labor. My father was the village magistrate. A simple man with a simple code: justice. He gathered the few people that he could to stand against you.
[laughs]
Chun Li: You and your bullies were driven back by farmers with pitchforks! My father saved his village at the cost of his own life. You had him shot as you ran away! A hero... at a thousand paces.
Bison: I'm sorry. I don't remember any of it.
Chun Li: You don't remember?
Bison: For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
CanRay
Exactly Fyndhal.
KCKitsune
Unless of course you use Influence to START the riot so as to create cover for your extraction 'Run. LoneStar is going to have a bitch of a time dealing with you AND the riot at the same time. The fact that you might kill dozens of people is between you and God.
CanRay
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jun 16 2011, 12:57 PM) *
Unless of course you use Influence to START the riot so as to create cover for your extraction 'Run. LoneStar is going to have a bitch of a time dealing with you AND the riot at the same time. The fact that you might kill dozens of people is between you and God.
$Deity, thank you very much. God has a lot of competition in the Sixth World. nyahnyah.gif

Anyhow, isn't that what the 1st Edition Rocker was supposed to be for? Getting Flash Mobs going by playing Anti-Corporate/Government songs while the rest of the team does their thing? nyahnyah.gif
Doc Byte
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 16 2011, 08:00 PM) *
Anyhow, isn't that what the 1st Edition Rocker was supposed to be for? Getting Flash Mobs going by playing Anti-Corporate/Government songs while the rest of the team does their thing? nyahnyah.gif

Did you hear of this guy?
nezumi
I believe that was CP2020, where the rocker archetype had the special class power of being able create riots. I'm not aware of any specific mechanic like that in SR.
CanRay
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 16 2011, 05:03 PM) *
I believe that was CP2020, where the rocker archetype had the special class power of being able create riots. I'm not aware of any specific mechanic like that in SR.

Oh, right. The game my group back home demanded we play whenever I brought up Shadowrun. And why I'm STILL waiting on a damned Shadowrun game.

Well, still, wouldn't take much to get people up and going for a riot in the Sixth World, most places are a powderkeg just waiting for a spark.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Jun 16 2011, 03:49 PM) *
While interesting to me personally (Sharks fun unfortunately), relevancy to Shadowrun, besides "mob mentality"?

The link provided was the other side of the coin from the mob, insight into how firefighters co-ordinate and respond to such situations. It's the emergency comms channels they use, so that insight only comes during times when shit is out of hand, and beyond last night, I hope it doesn't provide said insight any time soon, or often.
kzt
Ouch. I bet that left a mark.

CanRay
Dear $Deity! OW!!!
Critias
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 16 2011, 08:34 AM) *

If 90% of sports fans acted this way, there wouldn't be a city still standing anywhere in the world.
CanRay
Natalya Ivanova: "...I once fought my way out of an East German football riot wearing a West German jersey. I'm not a sidekick." - Destroy All Humans! 2
Sengir
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 16 2011, 06:08 PM) *
Why you should never, ever plan a Shadowrun to happen when playoffs are finishing up.

Your escape route might go through a riot. nyahnyah.gif

Even on the other side of the fourth wall, roleplaying might be a bad idea if the guys in turtle dress take to the streets... http://kotaku.com/5576449/toronto-police-i...weapons-display
CanRay
Really don't get me started on the Police in my country. Really don't. I'm sure there are some very nice ones. Somewhere.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Once I put my players to invade Brackhaven Investments during new year. The contract with Lone Star would cease by midnight and Knight Errant would assume. Since Lone Star would not help the transition in any way, Knight Errant would lockdown the building for 30 minutes while all the nodes, cameras, sensors were being integrated to their system.
The team had this amount of time to invade it, steal a nexus and get out.

Of course this was during the reveillon and there were lots of people in Seattle downtown and to add insult to injury the players orchestrated for the Ancients and Spikes meet each other during the party.
That was their luck, since they botched the infiltration since the begining and were able to rapel their way out, but two of them weren't fast enough before the HTR team cut their ropes devil.gif
One of them burned Edge, the other one survived the fall and the team carried them among the rioting people.
Sengir
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 17 2011, 10:25 PM) *
Really don't get me started on the Police in my country. Really don't. I'm sure there are some very nice ones. Somewhere.

If a team lead by a guy with an "Ultras [other team]" sticker on his baton encircles you and threatens women asking to be allowed to the bathroom, you have a name tag and an ombudsman to work with.

Over here, you can go to the colleagues of the guy and file report against "somebody in riot gear". ID numbers would lead to too many complaints, says the largest police union...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 17 2011, 12:03 AM) *

Not riots exclusively, but group behaviors. Had to be simple stuff tho, as detailed coordination was virtually impossible.

CP2020 was a bit hung up on the D&D way of things, as each archetype had a special ability that increased over time (also provided for a steady money source, iirc). V3 turned them into advantages but failed to specifically spell out how to use them.

In SR i think the closest thing would be a leadership use, with the devoted/fan mod and perhaps something similar to a control emotions spell but based on a performance skill roll.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 17 2011, 11:25 PM) *

The quality of police forces around the globe seems to be taking a nose dive, or perhaps my perception of them where too rosy while growing up.

Or it could be that increasing government cutbacks from the "bottomless pocket" days of the post-ww2 decades result in the best and brightest finding jobs in the private sector or simply not bothering with getting into uniforms in the first place. Hell, i understand the biggest source of recruits for the US forces these days are young people that have a choice between poverty, crime or enlisting.

The democracies are slowly rotting from within, heading towards fascism and oligarchs.
CanRay
OK, police have a damned hard job and are held to high standards, but... Using "Wiretapping" laws to prevent them from being filmed when abusing their rights and duties?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

EDIT: This has been coming for a long time, however. The movie "Serpico" does a good job showing police corruption. Hell, it even shows up a fair bit in the new video game LA Noire.
hobgoblin
While Serpico is a valid reference, not so sure about LA Noire given it being a modern day creation from a company specializing in "anti-hero" games.

Anyways, the corrupting influence of power is as old as humanity. And the question of how to destroy monsters without becoming one is still open. Or as the saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
CanRay
How old? Well, Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? nyahnyah.gif
hobgoblin
I do not do latin much...
Fortinbras
It's a Watchmen reference. "Who watches the watchers."
Fortinbras
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 18 2011, 11:48 PM) *
The quality of police forces around the globe seems to be taking a nose dive, or perhaps my perception of them where too rosy while growing up.

Yeah. What we need to do is make a private police force, independent of government corruption.
There is this company here in Texas that has great private security options. "Lone Star" I think it's called...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jun 19 2011, 08:06 PM) *
It's a Watchmen reference. "Who watches the watchers."

i am familiar with it, i just wondered why he bothered using the latin version when the english one get the message across just fine.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jun 19 2011, 08:08 PM) *
Yeah. What we need to do is make a private police force, independent of government corruption.
There is this company here in Texas that has great private security options. "Lone Star" I think it's called...

Oh, that will work silly.gif

Seems in the end the world is destined to be crap sack, and at best you can make your little corner off it self-sustaining and chase away any visitors.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 19 2011, 08:19 PM) *
i am familiar with it, i just wondered why he bothered using the latin version when the english one get the message across just fine.

'cause he's old, and the old fart likes to show off now and then *snickers* ^^
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 19 2011, 03:21 PM) *

Now get out his damn lawn.
CanRay
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jun 19 2011, 01:06 PM) *
It's a Watchmenreference. "Who watches the watchers."
It's older than that, and is actually supposed to mean something else, but has come to mean what it does.
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 19 2011, 01:19 PM) *
Because the origins of the term come from when Latin was still a living language. That's how old it is, and by quoting the original Latin, the statement is confirmed as old.
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 19 2011, 01:21 PM) *
Actually, I'm not so old that Latin was taught in School any longer (They stopped the year I entered High School.), which annoyed me to no end as it forced me to choose between French and Spanish as my Second Language course. I almost failed French.
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jun 19 2011, 02:57 PM) *
Now get out his damn lawn.
Don' mind me, I'm just sittin' on this here porch, in this here rockin' chair, holdin' this here shotgun... nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 19 2011, 11:30 PM) *
Actually, I'm not so old that Latin was taught in School any longer (They stopped the year I entered High School.), which annoyed me to no end as it forced me to choose between French and Spanish as my Second Language course. I almost failed French.

Wat? O.o
They still teach latin in school over here, if you want to learn it . .
You get to chose between latin, spanish and francais . . or you can try and get all 3 in addition to english, which is a must have and not an option o.O
Also, for almost failing french? Nothing wrong with that AT ALL . .
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 19 2011, 05:03 PM) *
Also, for almost failing french? Nothing wrong with that AT ALL . .
It's wrong in Canada. No government jobs available for one thing. And less pay in all positions at any job as well.

Well, maybe if I moved to Alberta.
Stahlseele
ah, right, i forgot about you being in canada <.< . .
CanRay
Everybody forgets Canada... Until the time of asskicking is needed, then it's run to Canada for help. nyahnyah.gif
Fortinbras
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 19 2011, 05:26 PM) *
It's wrong in Canada. No government jobs available for one thing.

Yeah, but don't you have to take a loyalty oath to the queen or something to get a government job in Canada?
CanRay
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jun 19 2011, 05:30 PM) *
Yeah, but don't you have to take a loyalty oath to the queen or something to get a government job in Canada?

Big deal. Canada is a Dominion of the British Commonwealth, we're already Subjects of the Queen. Just self-ruling.

For the moment, at least, but that heads into the politics part of "Thou Shalt Not Goeth There!"
Stahlseele
"Thou Shalt Not Goeth There!"

US of A? *snickers*
kzt
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 19 2011, 03:30 PM) *
Everybody forgets Canada... Until the time of asskicking is needed, then it's run to Canada for help. nyahnyah.gif

It's not sporting to kick Canada's ass. nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 19 2011, 05:36 PM) *
US of A? *snickers*
Actually, no. Local government and the results of the recent election.
QUOTE (kzt @ Jun 19 2011, 06:35 PM) *
It's not sporting to kick Canada's ass. nyahnyah.gif
*Snickers* Ask Stahl about Germany's history of battle against Canadians. Other than The Battle of Dieppe, that is. wink.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 19 2011, 07:26 PM) *
It's wrong in Canada. No government jobs available for one thing. And less pay in all positions at any job as well.

Well, maybe if I moved to Alberta.

I thought being canadian was already wrong. Or was it french? grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
"It's WRONG to be French!" - Al Bundy
CanRay
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jun 20 2011, 06:40 AM) *
I thought being Canadian was already wrong. Or was it french? grinbig.gif

Nothing wrong with being Canadian, despite how much we apologize.

As for being french... *Eyes Quebec*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012