Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RFID clusters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
PoliteMan
Been thinking about RFID clusters for awhile and presuming you use some of the higher end RFIDS (Sensor, Security) it should be fairly easy to get a Processor Limit of 100+, then use replicating worms and Optimized programs to get a ton of agents working off the cluster. I'm wondering if anybody has done this before and what their experiences were like.
StevenAngier
While it's a nice idea to hide viruses in plain sight the main problem with this is that you'd have every single tag being active for that. Which would mean you'd have to stack them near a source of radio frequency emission. That would get them being pretty obvious.
Yerameyahu
I'd just say RFIDs can't do that stuff. smile.gif Too small, too special, etc.
Rubic
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 09:50 AM) *
I'd just say RFIDs can't do that stuff. smile.gif Too small, too special, etc.

seconded. You're better off using an RFID grenade to toss up AR advertising in a cluster to impede pursuit.
Yerameyahu
If you want massive computing power, just use nexi and commlinks.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 7 2011, 08:38 AM) *
seconded. You're better off using an RFID grenade to toss up AR advertising in a cluster to impede pursuit.

And how, exactly, do you see that impeding pursuit. Passive and Hidden Modes would completely ignore such things. wobble.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 7 2011, 11:50 AM) *
And how, exactly, do you see that impeding pursuit. Passive and Hidden Modes would completely ignore such things. wobble.gif

Also Firewall 6 might block out some of that shit... it is an unwanted intrusion into your system.
Rubic
Toss it up in a crowded/spammed area to cause a commotion, not in the middle of a factory. Not all work takes place in the middle of a secluded underground facility, after all. If you have the access codes for the pursuit's secure frequency/channel, you should be able to program that into the AR projection on the RFIDs, after all (the higher quality would be better). This falls under the scope of "The enemy isn't perfect."

If the enemy IS perfect, and knows everything your characters have already planned in impenetrably secure locations, then you need a new GM or to tell him to back off of the omniscience. If not, then you're not playing a game, per se, so much as your GM's ego.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 7 2011, 01:10 PM) *
Toss it up in a crowded/spammed area to cause a commotion, not in the middle of a factory. Not all work takes place in the middle of a secluded underground facility, after all. If you have the access codes for the pursuit's secure frequency/channel, you should be able to program that into the AR projection on the RFIDs, after all (the higher quality would be better). This falls under the scope of "The enemy isn't perfect."

If the enemy IS perfect, and knows everything your characters have already planned in impenetrably secure locations, then you need a new GM or to tell him to back off of the omniscience. If not, then you're not playing a game, per se, so much as your GM's ego.

It has nothing to do with being Perfect, Rubic. It has to do with natural precautions that a Runner takes, let alone a Corporation in a Remote, Secure Facility. I would not plan my defenses for a game based on what a player would do to circumvent them. I would plan my defenses based upon the knowledge of the security chief/team, and the budget that comes with the facilitry in question.

As far as the AR Grenade/Bomb goes... that is just a waste of time for most, if not all, situations. Viral AR Spam exists in Shadowrun, and it is not generally an issue for serious 'Runners, and only a minor annoyance for the less experienced 'Runners smile.gif
Rubic
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 7 2011, 03:43 PM) *
It has nothing to do with being Perfect, Rubic. It has to do with natural precautions that a Runner takes, let alone a Corporation in a Remote, Secure Facility. I would not plan my defenses for a game based on what a player would do to circumvent them. I would plan my defenses based upon the knowledge of the security chief/team, and the budget that comes with the facilitry in question.

As far as the AR Grenade/Bomb goes... that is just a waste of time for most, if not all, situations. Viral AR Spam exists in Shadowrun, and it is not generally an issue for serious 'Runners, and only a minor annoyance for the less experienced 'Runners smile.gif

This does not mean it isn't a trouble for somebody who is not expecting it, in, say, downtown Seattle, on his way home from work. It could provide a crucial distraction while a person is yoinked inside a building or to set up an assassination. Have the hacker create a viral ad that bypasses filters (could be as easy as misrepresenting the ad's type), and you suddenly have an opportunity to shove a needle in that manager's neck or a knife in his side.

Other uses, bombard a gang territory with fake news that another gang has pulled one over on them/stepped on their turf, etc. More a matter of creativity. It'd never work if somebody was expecting it, or if they were in the middle of a secured facility. Note, I did say that in my prior post.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 7 2011, 02:50 PM) *
This does not mean it isn't a trouble for somebody who is not expecting it, in, say, downtown Seattle, on his way home from work. It could provide a crucial distraction while a person is yoinked inside a building or to set up an assassination. Have the hacker create a viral ad that bypasses filters (could be as easy as misrepresenting the ad's type), and you suddenly have an opportunity to shove a needle in that manager's neck or a knife in his side.

Other uses, bombard a gang territory with fake news that another gang has pulled one over on them/stepped on their turf, etc. More a matter of creativity. It'd never work if somebody was expecting it, or if they were in the middle of a secured facility. Note, I did say that in my prior post.

Perhaps... Perhaps not. I see AR/Viral Spam as nothing more than a nuissance, and often not even that. Even today, with the sometimes hundreds of email spam I get, It has absolutely no impact. It is totally ignored. I see this as being more common than you do apparently. Probably has a lot to do with my non-use of Portable communications devices. They are just a fad, after all. They will eventually go away. smile.gif

But I will say that it could have an impact on the unsuspecting. I just do not see many as being that unsuspecting, since it is so ubiquitous in the 2070's.
Yerameyahu
The book implies (at least) that spam is a potentially significant issue in SR4. *shrug*
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 04:01 PM) *
The book implies (at least) that spam is a potentially significant issue in SR4. *shrug*

Which can be easily circumvented by switching to passive mode (when available).
Yerameyahu
So? That's not the same as "nothing more than a nuissance, and often not even that". We know that spam is an issue in 2070. Not an overwhelming one, but not a non-issue either.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 06:54 PM) *
So? That's not the same as "nothing more than a nuissance, and often not even that". We know that spam is an issue in 2070. Not an overwhelming one, but not a non-issue either.

Unless the person has that negative quality where they can`t tell the difference between AR and reality... or AIPS.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 03:54 PM) *

And how does that even qualify as a Nuissance? I mean really, I have a Public Comlink that is on, but the feeds are disabled, so I never see them (Kind of like Voice Mail and Cell Phones today). I have a Running Comlink that is in Passive or Hidden Mode. How, exactly, am I affected by that notorious spam you keep talking about?

Oh, wait... I'm not...

Less than A Nuissance, as it never actually comes into play, unless I want it to. wobble.gif
Yerameyahu
Except we know that it's *not* "Less than A Nuissance", by definition. The book tells us it's significant. No one's talking about your character.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 05:50 PM) *
Except we know that it's *not* "Less than A Nuissance", by definition. The book tells us it's significant. No one's talking about your character.

You miss the point... It is not MY character. It is ALL Shadowrunners. To COMPLETELY avoid Viral AR Spam, all you need do is run your 'Runner 'Links in Passive or Hidden Mode, and then completely ignore anything from your civilian 'Link. Why is that so hard to understand?

Is it a problem for average Joe Wageslave? Most Likely. 'Runners are not Average Joe Wageslave.
Yerameyahu
That's what I said: we're not talking about shadowrunners. Shadowrunners are the ones *doing* it.
CanRay
I still like my idea of a RAID-∞ memory system made up of a tremendous number of RFID tags. nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 06:18 PM) *
That's what I said: we're not talking about shadowrunners. Shadowrunners are the ones *doing* it.

Yes, to other Shadowrunners or Corporate Security (or Corporate Secuity Protected Targets), who are going to know the exact same tricks of the Trade as you do. Who cares if you do it to Joe Wageslave, he is totally insignificant in 99.99% of the cases.
Yerameyahu
*shrug* I wasn't aware we were talking about corpsec. Didn't he say 'chased by gangers'? Sorry.
Udoshi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 7 2011, 07:22 PM) *
I still like my idea of a RAID-∞ memory system made up of a tremendous number of RFID tags. nyahnyah.gif

I'll see you your RFID Raids, and raise you some Smartgrenade Clusters.

For when you need Really, REALLY deniable computing resources.

... pretty sure they have better matrix stats too.
suoq
I must be missing something here. Someone help me.

1) We're talking an AR grenade here, correct?
2) Which requires either hacking a bunch of commlinks (in which case you don't need the AR grenande) or the commlinks set on active.
3) And requires an active visual PAN (cybereyes, goggles, glasses, contacts) being used by the pursuers.

The pursuers, whomever they are, are chasing someone while their active commlinks are displaying everything including the ads coming in though their visual PAN.

This doesn't fall under "The enemy isn't perfect." This falls under "The enemy is incompetent".

Whatever happened to flashbangs?
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 8 2011, 03:10 AM) *
Toss it up in a crowded/spammed area to cause a commotion, not in the middle of a factory.

So this isn't to directly affect other 'runners, or pursuers, or whoever. It's to cause a "scene" in a crowded area with many normal people who are likely to be affected by the AR spam.

As far as this goes, seems like it could be sorta effective, maybe more subtle than a flashbang, esp. since the pursuers will be blocking the "grenade's" effects and won't know why everyone around them is suddenly spazzing out...
TheOOB
Isn't this what the orgy spell is for.

But seriously, this would be good to make a distraction in a group, but it's not going to stop a serious pursuer. Even if they practice bad cyber security the worst thing it does is screw up their smart-link(unless they are using a DNI)
suoq
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jul 7 2011, 10:38 PM) *
So this isn't to directly affect other 'runners, or pursuers, or whoever. It's to cause a "scene" in a crowded area with many normal people who are likely to be affected by the AR spam.

As far as this goes, seems like it could be sorta effective, maybe more subtle than a flashbang, esp. since the pursuers will be blocking the "grenade's" effects and won't know why everyone around them is suddenly spazzing out...

Again, I'm missing something. Someone describe what they see so I can understand why they're not ignoring it, annoyed by it, or distracted (standing still) by it. What kind of AR makes large groups of people (wageslaves for example) suddenly spazz out.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 08:17 PM) *
*shrug* I wasn't aware we were talking about corpsec. Didn't he say 'chased by gangers'? Sorry.

Oh, I see, you're saying gangers are stupid... Got it... smile.gif
That's Okay, one of the guys in our group thinks the same thing. wobble.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (suoq @ Jul 7 2011, 09:12 PM) *
I must be missing something here. Someone help me.

1) We're talking an AR grenade here, correct?
2) Which requires either hacking a bunch of commlinks (in which case you don't need the AR grenande) or the commlinks set on active.
3) And requires an active visual PAN (cybereyes, goggles, glasses, contacts) being used by the pursuers.

The pursuers, whomever they are, are chasing someone while their active commlinks are displaying everything including the ads coming in though their visual PAN.

This doesn't fall under "The enemy isn't perfect." This falls under "The enemy is incompetent".

Whatever happened to flashbangs?

Heh... Glad to see someone in agreeance (yes, I know) with me... smile.gif
Yerameyahu
Gangers *are* stupid. They're the slimes of SR.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 8 2011, 08:08 AM) *
Gangers *are* stupid. They're the slimes of SR.

You and John would get along great...
I bet that you shamelessly use Gangers to distract the Authorities as well... smile.gif
I know John would rather use them as Target Practice rather than look at them.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (suoq @ Jul 8 2011, 07:43 PM) *
Again, I'm missing something. Someone describe what they see so I can understand why they're not ignoring it, annoyed by it, or distracted (standing still) by it. What kind of AR makes large groups of people (wageslaves for example) suddenly spazz out.

I mean, off the top of my head, maybe a huge 99% sale at a popular store...or an announcement that there's a fire / dangerous criminal / something nearby, and that people should move in an orderly fashion to the nearest safe place....or an announcement that a popular singer / trid-star is signing autographs nearby...if they're wageslaves, maybe something about a corporate contest for people who find x amount of some item nearby...

I'm not saying all of these ideas are 100% winners, but c'mon, use your imagination a little....
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jul 8 2011, 09:04 AM) *
I mean, off the top of my head, maybe a huge 99% sale at a popular store...or an announcement that there's a fire / dangerous criminal / something nearby, and that people should move in an orderly fashion to the nearest safe place....or an announcement that a popular singer / trid-star is signing autographs nearby...if they're wageslaves, maybe something about a corporate contest for people who find x amount of some item nearby...

I'm not saying all of these ideas are 100% winners, but c'mon, use your imagination a little....

Because Oh So Many people FLOCK to the Blue Light Special when it is announced... wobble.gif
Rubic
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jul 7 2011, 11:38 PM) *

Precisely. An RFID grenade would have to be something you thought up ahead of time. How many runners use such a piece of rubbish, after all? Why protect against it? Hell, use it before you're even pursued, and you may even be able to score some extra nuyen for advertising.
Rubic
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 8 2011, 11:19 AM) *
Because Oh So Many people FLOCK to the Blue Light Special when it is announced... wobble.gif

If people didn't have unpredictably sheepish responses, then flash mobs would never work. The desire to be in on something exclusive, or to be the first to take advantage of a sale, or whatnot... any of these impulses can work in your favor in some way, and there are some areas where you HAVE to have your commlink on active.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 8 2011, 08:33 AM) *
If people didn't have unpredictably sheepish responses, then flash mobs would never work. The desire to be in on something exclusive, or to be the first to take advantage of a sale, or whatnot... any of these impulses can work in your favor in some way, and there are some areas where you HAVE to have your commlink on active.

There is a Difference between coordinating a Flash Mob (and yes, they do take a bit of coordination, as they are not immediate), and announcing the current Blue Light Special (which is). smile.gif
Rubic
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 8 2011, 11:53 AM) *
There is a Difference between coordinating a Flash Mob (and yes, they do take a bit of coordination, as they are not immediate), and announcing the current Blue Light Special (which is). smile.gif

You're relying on the same drive to do either, just with less planning and, thus, a greater possibility of failure if you didn't plan for it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 8 2011, 10:27 AM) *
You're relying on the same drive to do either, just with less planning and, thus, a greater possibility of failure if you didn't plan for it.

Perhaps... but no worries... smile.gif
Rubic
I'm not saying it's a certainty, nothing really is. However, as part of something bigger, it's a viable tool, especially when front-loaded before the rest of the stuff you pull.
Cheops
QUOTE (StevenAngier @ Jul 7 2011, 11:49 AM) *
While it's a nice idea to hide viruses in plain sight the main problem with this is that you'd have every single tag being active for that. Which would mean you'd have to stack them near a source of radio frequency emission. That would get them being pretty obvious.

RFID tag necklace with a radio on the clasp. Seems like an appropriate accessory for a cyberpunk hacker. Especially get some of different colors and you can make patterns.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 8 2011, 11:19 PM) *

Have you missed the multiple instances of people getting injured, even CRUSHED TO DEATH, at wal-mart during black Friday sales or whatever it's called? If you have missed them, it's scary reading. People in Beijing were so mob-y they broke glass windows in the Apple store when the iPad2 came out and several people got cut up. I think people are willing to flock, stupidly, if there's a sale or desired item being offered. Reality seems to agree with me, unfortunately frown.gif

These are wage-slaves / common people we were talking about. A certain level of "mob" mentality was assumed, but hey, in your game, maybe that doesn't happen. It's cool, but I hope you can imagine it could happen in other games?
suoq
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jul 9 2011, 04:17 AM) *
Have you missed the multiple instances of people getting injured, even CRUSHED TO DEATH, at wal-mart during black Friday sales or whatever it's called?

Yes. And they planned to be there far in advance. Black friday sales and apple store openings require entire populations being informed of the event in order to get enough people to form a decent sized mob.

"Lines for the popular iPad 2 have grown so long that people have begun selling their places in the queue, while a secondary market has also developed with consumers reselling their tablet computers for profit after leaving the store, the report said." gives us an idea of how many people are in such a mob. On the other hand, Beijing has 14,930,000 people in it. So if you want almost 1500 people in line all you need to do is attract 1/100 of a percent of people.

Lets pretend you have a AR grenade two orders of magnitude better than a new iPad 2. That will affect 1 out of every 100 people within the radius of the grenade. You're better off with a device that fires a clip of caseless blanks.
Rubic
QUOTE (suoq @ Jul 9 2011, 02:13 PM) *
Yes. And they planned to be there far in advance. Black friday sales and apple store openings require entire populations being informed of the event in order to get enough people to form a decent sized mob.

"Lines for the popular iPad 2 have grown so long that people have begun selling their places in the queue, while a secondary market has also developed with consumers reselling their tablet computers for profit after leaving the store, the report said." gives us an idea of how many people are in such a mob. On the other hand, Beijing has 14,930,000 people in it. So if you want almost 1500 people in line all you need to do is attract 1/100 of a percent of people.

Lets pretend you have a AR grenade two orders of magnitude better than a new iPad 2. That will affect 1 out of every 100 people within the radius of the grenade. You're better off with a device that fires a clip of caseless blanks.

But for the RFID grenade, you don't need a mob-crush, just to get people moving a certain way or focusing away from a certain direction. It'd be low-suspicion, since advertising stunts, no doubt, are not unheard of, and it would draw the attention away from the point of origin.
suoq
QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 9 2011, 12:54 PM) *
But for the RFID grenade, you don't need a mob-crush, just to get people moving a certain way or focusing away from a certain direction. It'd be low-suspicion, since advertising stunts, no doubt, are not unheard of, and it would draw the attention away from the point of origin.

I'm going to try one last time to get you to consider the inherent contradiction.
1) "get people moving a certain way"
2) "advertising stunts, no doubt, are not unheard of"

#2 interferes with #1.

You are trying to get a majority of people to react in a excited manner way by using a method (AR transmission) society has trained them to be blase about. You want to create a RL physical response to an AR stimulus in a majority of viewers.

If a GM used such a device to get the crowd to stop you as you chased down your target, would you really buy the crowd's reaction?
ggodo
I think what he's saying is people won't think that the stunt isn't genuine. Throw up a big enough flashy sign, with a big enough sale, and you'll get soccer moms strangling each other for shoes. The trick will be making it look like it's a bigger deal than the normal AR ads.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (suoq @ Jul 10 2011, 03:50 AM) *
I'm going to try one last time to get you to consider the inherent contradiction.
1) "get people moving a certain way"
2) "advertising stunts, no doubt, are not unheard of"

#2 interferes with #1.

You are trying to get a majority of people to react in a excited manner way by using a method (AR transmission) society has trained them to be blase about. You want to create a RL physical response to an AR stimulus in a majority of viewers.

If a GM used such a device to get the crowd to stop you as you chased down your target, would you really buy the crowd's reaction?

it's not a contradiction - using the phrase "not unheard of" doesn't mean "so often that people become blase about it." I'm going to try, one last time, to ignore the inherent condescension in your posts.

And besides, this is make-believe, with each person or table trying to model their own SR world. In Rubic's and my and other people's make-believe world, there's a possibility that this AR grenade could produce enough of an effect to cause a distraction. In your world, it wouldn't. Cool. But stop trying to pretend it's a bad idea. Just because it wouldn't work in your make-believe world doesn't mean that's the reality, because we determine the reality in our SR.
Rubic
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jul 10 2011, 08:57 PM) *
it's not a contradiction - using the phrase "not unheard of" doesn't mean "so often that people become blase about it." I'm going to try, one last time, to ignore the inherent condescension in your posts.

And besides, this is make-believe, with each person or table trying to model their own SR world. In Rubic's and my and other people's make-believe world, there's a possibility that this AR grenade could produce enough of an effect to cause a distraction. In your world, it wouldn't. Cool. But stop trying to pretend it's a bad idea. Just because it wouldn't work in your make-believe world doesn't mean that's the reality, because we determine the reality in our SR.

Bro!!
suoq
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Jul 10 2011, 07:57 PM) *
I'm going to try, one last time, to ignore the inherent condescension in your posts.
Good luck.
But stop trying to pretend it's a bad idea.
I'm not pretending. In my opinion, it is a bad idea. The only way I can think to make it a good idea is possibly outside Dumpshock's terms and conditions and even then, the complete lack of things like making an Artisan roll to determine it's effectiveness makes it read more like Glamour than anything else.
Just because it wouldn't work in your make-believe world doesn't mean that's the reality, because we determine the reality in our SR.
If you want it to work in your make believe world, that's fine. Just say "it works" and quit trying to rationalize it. (Again, like Glamour.) When you attempt to rationalize something, I'm going to ask the questions that pop into my head and point out what appear to be fallacies. If you just say "In my world, it works", then I don't really care because then you're not looking for rationality, you're simply declaring a house rule by fiat.

I don't even remotely try to argue that magic should follow the laws of physics or attempt to understand whatever it is technomancers are doing because in the rules "it works" and there's no attempt to rationalize how it works. It just works. If you want your RFID grenade to be the same way, then that's your house rule. Enjoy.
Yerameyahu
I still don't see the problem. Spam exists, commlinks don't cut it all out, and people are strongly influenced by advertising/misinformation. These are all facts of 2070. I don't see why it'd be a grenade, or use RFIDs (just hack!), but that's not really the point.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (suoq @ Jul 11 2011, 01:58 PM) *
Good luck.

Yeah, I know, right?

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 11 2011, 09:24 PM) *
I still don't see the problem. Spam exists, commlinks don't cut it all out, and people are strongly influenced by advertising/misinformation. These are all facts of 2070. I don't see why it'd be a grenade, or use RFIDs (just hack!), but that's not really the point.

I'm thinking the "grenade" bit would really just be something disposable that could be dropped somewhere, so your presence isn't required anywhere near the distraction...I guess the hacker could produce the same effect, but maybe the hacker is otherwise engaged or not available atm or something....And I'm thinking the RFIDs just because this wouldn't need that much processing power, and they're cheap?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012