Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RFID clusters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kyrel
You know guys, let's look at this from a slightly different angle momentarily. Aren't we really talking about something akin to an "AR Flashbang"? A device that is designed to momentarily affect unprepared individuals perceiving the world through AR, and cause said targets to behave in an unusual and/or erratic manner, causing a distraction which a Runner can try and use for any number of purposes?

I agree that it might be hard to achieve a "mob-mentality" situation through the use af an "AR grenade", and it might also be difficult to cause immediate effects through the use of ordinary types of advertisment spamming. But how about something as "simple" as a pop-up that is designed to fill the entire "screen" of the "victim" with a sudden strong and painful flash of light, a complete blackout of the surrounding world, or some other sort of invasive overlay that forces the victim to react to the effect.

Sure, there would probably be other ways to achieve the same effect, but shouldn't it theoretically be possible to do something like that within the confines of the game?
suoq
QUOTE (Kyrel @ Jul 13 2011, 03:29 AM) *
Sure, there would probably be other ways to achieve the same effect, but shouldn't it theoretically be possible to do something like that within the confines of the game?

Yes and no. "painful", I don't buy because it requires the screen to produce a level of light that's painful for the user. On the other hand, blink is annoying as heck, so in my opinion, you can definitely create some sort of "invasive overlay that forces the victim to react to the effect", even if the reaction is to simply turn off their AR (which may actually be the desired effect under some circumstances).

Things I would ask the players:
1) Do you want to build/test these in advance or do you just want to make them and hope they work? (Juryrigger?)
2) How many are you building?
3) Pick a threshold for exploit and then start writing the software to have the grenade bypass IR filters. Your threshold determines it's power. i.e. someone's gotta write the code to make this contraption work.
4) Pick a threshold for effect and then have someone start creating the effect. They'll be rolling artisan on this one unless someone has some other skill they think is more applicable. Someone has to actually create this effect, be it annoying, attractive, distracting, whatever.
5) Someone start rolling Armorer to build a grenade that spreads your RFID tags. (I'm personally not sure why the heck you want to use a grenade, maybe it's to make the evidence harder to find. On the other hand, I can see uses for an RFID grenade, especially for the purpose of tracking targets. This may be a dual purpose item.)

Note that a flash bang is a simple 6S across a 20 meter circle. It's tested. It works. It's better than Sex Panther. (More than 60% of the time, it works every time.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012