Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Convention Etiquite and Tips
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
LurkerOutThere
Alright first the disclaimer: These thoughts are my own, they don't represent anyone else especially not Catalyst, The CGL demo team or anything of that nature. Also this is something I'm just throwing together as I go so it's a smidge rambling.

Having said that I wanted to put out some lessons learned I've gotten as both a convention players and GM. Some of these are just courtesy things that people don't realize, some of these are shameless attempts to make my life easier. Some of them are helpful tips, and some are warnings on crimes against humanity.

Preparation and Cleanup:
1) Your mom doesn't run here, and even if she does she doesn't want to clean up after you. > I'm often on a time crunch and even when i'm not this one gets on my nerves more then most things. When you play at a gaming table please police up your own trash when you leave and if possible any other loose trash you see sitting around. A lot of our slots run back to back to back so the in-courteous people who leave their trash behind are really leaving it right int he next player space.

2) You should know the rules that apply to your character > I'd like to think my Shadowrun rules knowledge is better then most. But even having said that Shadowrun is a game of a host of interlocking sub systems with fiddly bits. So if i make a call from memory and you know it's wriong you have every right to call me on it (politely). Most people are pretty good on this when it works to their benefit but i do ask theyu also do it when it works to their detriment. What I saw someone do at last years Gencon and have since adapted for my own is making a cheat sheet of all the rules that affect my character on a regular basis including page references. This is especially important if your character tends to do obscure things like grappling, e-sensing. etc etc

3) Speed counts for a lot in combat > Similar to the above I strongly recommend folks pre-calculate their most commonly used action pools including a break out of where the dice bonus come from. This will save you having to hunt and peck on your character sheet.

Table Etiquette:
This is Shadowrun, not monopoly try not to monopolize the GM > Now personally when i GM I try and do a round robin style to make sure everyone's getting a chance to get in actions and such or when it comes to things like leg work I ask everyone to make their rolls and then I come around the table checking what folks got. Though having said that try to contain the need to get involved in every roll or action taking place at the table. I'll give a classic example big table, hacker is scanning and breaking into local wireless devices to pre-seed the area with surveillance . Face and street sam are talking to people for intel on the objective. While their doing that local corpsec starts to talk to them. Hacker wanted to get involved in that scene by sending a drone over/hacking corpsecs comlink etc. Even though the hacker could technicly get involved in that encounter I told them to cool it so face and sam could have their moment in the sun. If they'd failed I might have let their teammates come to their rescue but until then it was their play time.

Your character shoots people in the face for money, you can grab my attention if something is bothering you or you need it > The counter to the above question if there is something that your character needs to get involved in or you would have an insight on. Speak up. Part of the reason I go to a round robin is to give everyone a moment. But at bigger tables that moment takes a while to come around. if your one of those people that has a hard time inserting yourself into a conversation if nothing else raise your hand, that gets my attention.

General Etiquette:
If something is making you uncomfortable speak up > I'm going to set all joking aside for a moment. Shadowrun is a game of mature themes. While I strive for a PG rating at the table for con games, just by the nature of the setting, stuff creeps in. Likewise players might raise things to a level your not comfortable with. Speak up, even if you have to ask to talk to me privately, I an presumably most other GM's and players are willing to work with you.

Don't Cheat > Not much needs to be said here, if your life is going so horrible that you need to cheat at a tabletop game for validation I suggest you seek help. As a GM I cheat like crazy and I hate competition.

Show up to your event on time > I understand that events run long and things happen but as much as possible please try and get to events on time. This goes double for those playing with generics as those seats go to folks on a first come first serve basics. Similarly while those who bought tickets do have a guaranteed seat I don't not let someone play because your running behind generally speaking I hold game for 5-10 mins while everyone gets situated and I answer questions, but by that point I start to look around and get generic folks seated.

A word on generics > Traditionally at Gencon and Origins we sell 6 slots to each game, a seventh player can be taken at GM's discretion (most of us do) an eighth player can only be taken if all the pre-registered players are cool with it, which most are. So if you have a group of players you like to play with it really behooves you to preregister. Having said that even if you can't preregister you might try and show up anyway, we as GM's work awful hard not to turn people away.

Cleanliness > This has been beat to death in other places and honestly I haven't seen a problem amongst the shadowrun crowd but as a guy whose gone to big cons before it deserves a mention. Please shower, use soap, and deodorant liberally and toothpaste and breath mints as necissary. I've gotten to the point where I'm not shy of calling people on this as necessary if I have to take them aside. Save yourself the embarrassment, and if you are incapable of embarrassment on this issue stop coming out in public.
squee_nabob
This is good advice, how do you (as a sample size of 1) feel about pre-rolling dice pools such as combat (when it's my turn I say "I shot twice with BF, 5 hits and 6 hits 8DV + net hits vs -half impact) vs. watching me roll it out?
LurkerOutThere
I'd be fine with it the time savings is nice and there's not a lot of reason to suspect folks will cheat. Most people that do it that way roll it out in the center where the players next to them can see.
Neurosis
If all my tables at gencon stick to this advice, I'll be a happier man.

(The round robin thing is a good idea. If I can get people to talk in turn without beating them with a stick, of course.)
Mesh
I can't beat the stink issue long enough. If you stink, and you don't know why, here's what to do:

1) Shower early. Scrub your dirty bits. 'nuff said.
2) Immediately afterwards, put on lots of deodorant. <-- this is the time to do it!!!
3) Shoot People in the Face or Action of Choice

Good to go!

Mesh
(please gods let the acrid ones read this!)
Bull
Honestly, possibly even shower twice a day.

I know when I'm really, really running around a lot or it's really hot, I do.

And while deodorant is nice and everyone should use it, keep in mind deodorant (and even more especially body spray/cologne) is not a shower substitute.

That said, honestly it's not THAT big an issue, in my experience. Though when you come across it, it's REALLY noticeable.

Unless, of course, you go to the Anime Room. Since they tend to show Anime 24/7, I suspect that some people basically live in there. I made the mistake of going "Hrmm, I should check out what's playing down here" once... Oh god. The stench. It was like a physical barrier at the door.

Overall guideline for the con though is: Don't be a douchenozzle, and be considerate of those around you.

Bull
Critias
Be prepared: Sometimes a con game just doesn't work quite right. Sometimes there's a douchebag in the random group of strangers that sit down to play together. Sometimes a GM hasn't prepared like he should, or is feeling under the weather, or is overwhelmed by being at a convention. Sometimes the background noise is problematic. Sometimes you're tired from a long trip, lack of sleep, not eating like normal, talking all day, or what-have-you. I'm firmly of the opinion, personally, that gaming is primarily a social activity, and generally best performed in a relaxed, comfortable, social setting, amongst friends; I tell better stories and have more fun at my buddy's house, surrounded by folks I've known for years, than I normally do at a convention game.

But you know what? It's still a game, and games are fun! If you find yourself getting frustrated, if the GM of your table has a different idea of the game world than you do, if the other players don't play "right" compared to what you're used to, or whatever...? Fuck it, it's a game! Relax, have some fun for four hours, and call it a day.

Don't get irritated, say or do something stupid, or be in a bad mood the rest of the convention. It's a game, and the worst thing playing a game should ever do is mildly amuse you, instead of thrillingly entertain you. Sling some dice, have a good time, and look forward to the next game, don't dwell on the last one.
Abdul Alhazred
What do you think of technology in the game ? I plan to bring my Ipad loaded with all my Shadowrun PDFs, and a dice roller ~ possibly a PDF copy of my sheet on there as well. Easy and one package to carry around all weekend.

Should I bring physical dice and a printed sheet ? Or the Ipad kosher with the GMs ?
Redjack
I bring my android tablet but I also bring dice and a paper copy of my character.
DWC
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jul 29 2011, 09:36 PM) *
I bring my android tablet but I also bring dice and a paper copy of my character.

I roll the same way. IPad full of PDFs for easy reference, and a hard copy character sheet for those GMs who want to check out a random skill or stat or quality. And real dice. Lots of real dice.
Critias
QUOTE (Abdul Alhazred @ Jul 29 2011, 08:24 PM) *
Should I bring physical dice and a printed sheet ? Or the Ipad kosher with the GMs ?

I'd bring the real stuff, too. The clatter of dice is half the fun, and your GM being able to glance at your sheet without passing an expensive electronic device around a table full of strangers is probably a good idea. Having backups never hurts.
LurkerOutThere
After some problems we recently encountered in home games personally I'm going to insist on real dice, too many electronic dice rollers use time hashing (I think that's the technical term, i'm an amateur programmer at best) which leads to a feast or famine scenario on the actual rolls.

Recently I've been bringing one hard copy of the core book and otherwise relying on the PDF library on my Ipad. It's a lot easier to carry about. I would also suggest actually having a paper print out of your character so you can make and track changes easily, your going to need to keep paper log sheets anyway.
sgtbarnesKY
As one of the GMs at GENCON, please bring real dice, I like to see the rolls and hear the dice smack the table. It's also nice to have a physical sheet to look at, I stare at a 'puter screen enough all ready, so please bring the dead tree form. PDF copies of the books though are a good idea, keeps you from getting shoulder strain having to lug around a bunch of books everywhere. Also, know your character well, I'll admit I don't know every rule by heart there are too many, so know the rules that apply to your character so if a GM asks you can whip out the book or page number its found in. Above all else though have fun, if your having fun chances are everyone else at the table is too, and remember, be excellent to each other, and GAME ON!! Seeya at the tables smile.gif
nezumi
This is going to be my first convention ... and I'm scheduled to GM four games. It's all Eclipse Phase, all for new players, so it's a little easier than the Shadowrun track. I'm also expecting to get sick.

So far, I've written out a two-page 'cheat sheet' of the mechanics for each player (so I'll be bringing like ... 38 copies of that).
I've printed out the sample characters from the books, which I'll need to reprint for a total of four copies of the 'main' ones, and maybe two of the 'fringe' ones (I'm looking at you, space whale), plus I typed up descriptive text of all of their implants and equipment, including weapons damage.
I've got my medium-sized hex sheet and white erase markers.
My wife's ipad with pdfs (all three of them).
Pencils, scrap paper, about 10 d10s.
Hand sanitizer, vitamin C.

I'll need to pick up some bottled water.

Anything else I need? Anything I should leave at home?

Regarding electronic devices at the table, for Shadowrun I can understand it. There's like six core books and however many supplements, and SR is a mechanics-heavy game. For Eclipse Phase (for beginners) you don't. My inclination is to ban electronic devices at the gaming table. Distracted players make for poor players.
LurkerOutThere
Honestly I've never had a problem with electronic devices at the table at a con game, people are paying money to be there they are invested in gaming. If they are distracting themselves out of boredom then some of the blame has to rest with the GM. Further since they are paying to be there and paying to play I don't think your have a lot of credibility in not allowing something unless it's disrupting things for the rest of the table.

At my home game i'm seriously considering confiscating phones and turning wifi off, but that's another matter. Bring scratch paper, small notepads work best. index cards are good for players to use as table stands.
Redjack
In addition to trail mix, I'd emphasize Lurker's advice. Most people are at the con to have fun and they are paying for the privilege. Expect a big table, keep the game moving don't let any singular player bog you down.
DWC
I tend to skip the trail mix so I don't have to worry about making a mess at the table. Instead, I carry a few granola bars and grab one in the middle of the gap between meals to keep my gassed up and stave off the urge to eat a giant lunch that's just going to lounge around in my stomach while I'm gaming later. Small meals also mean more time to slip off and grab a mid day shower.

And remember, if you don't have to piss, you're dehydrated.
KarmaInferno
Bringing electronic devices as an aid to a game is fine.

Playing World of Warcraft on said device during a game session is not.

Seriously, I have had this happen.

frown.gif

-k
LurkerOutThere
One last little thing:

GM's even Catalyst backed ones, are not catalyst employees. We're volunteers, insinuating otherwise is kind of bad form. All of us are paying money and giving time to be there just like you are.

This only happened with one guy over the weekend, but it kind of caught me by surprise.

nezumi
Although most of the PHS GMs are actually freelancers smile.gif

Also, if the person who sneezed on my wife could take back his germies, that would be appreciated. As a GM, my 'Con Crud' count was pretty low, but my wife was a booth babe and I could practically see the germies on her frown.gif Please don't sneeze on the booth babes!
Critias
Or on booth dudes, which some of us go drafted into at the last minute. As a general rule, it's a good idea to just not sneeze on anyone. Con funk sucks.
dog_xinu
my suggestion the 5-2-1 rule.

5 hours a sleep a night,
2 full/real meals a day,
1 shower per day.

no exceptions.. it is best for all.. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012