Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Missions - Restricted Gear Quality
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
Abdul Alhazred
I didn't see this addressed in the FAQ.

Missions caps the gear @ 12.

If I take the Positive Quality: Restriced Gear can I go past this level for Missions ?

Such as wanting a Monowhip, or fun things like that ?
KarmaInferno
Restricted Gear is a standard quality. Not an optional rule. As it has not been specifically banned by the FAQ, it is allowed.

It allows characters to "break the rules" for one item up to Availability 20, as normal.

Have fun. I personally see it as a trap, since it's build points spent on something that you can get during game play, but it's up to you.

-k
CrowOfPyke
QUOTE (Abdul Alhazred @ Jul 25 2011, 11:47 PM) *
I didn't see this addressed in the FAQ.

Missions caps the gear @ 12.

If I take the Positive Quality: Restricted Gear can I go past this level for Missions ?

From Runner's Companion:
Restricted Gear
Cost: 5 BP
The character knows just the right person to get a hold of that
one elusive piece of restricted gear or mil-tech weaponry she really
needed. Every time the character takes this quality at character
creation (max 3 times), she may exceptionally buy a piece of gear
with an Availability of up to 20. The character may also save the
quality to buy one such item during play.

The only reason to get this for an SRM character is to make use of the piles of $$$ you have available at creation, or can have at creation. This really isn't needed once you start playing SRM.

As per the SRM Season Four FAQ:
"If you utilize your contacts to get an item, each contact can
get one item (based on their areas of expertise, as defined by their
uses) between sessions, and will charge the base cost of the item
plus 10%. The maximum Availability that they can get is equal to
their Connection*4. For every additional 5% of the base cost you
pay, add +1 to the availability the contact can get. Contacts can
only get one item at a time (though they may purchase those items
in multiples)."

So, if you can get a hold of, or find, a fixer with a Connection of 5, you can get items (legal, R, or F) of availability up to 20. This makes things pretty simple.
Wasabi
Its also useful for those who want to bond foci for 1 BP/rating rather than 6 karma per rating. Just sayin'... smile.gif
sinthalix
The following link addresses disallowed qualities from Runner's Companion...restricted gear is not on this list. This is a much older list, but I have not heard that it's been rescinded. Bull can correct me if I'm wrong.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...st&p=707944
Hida Tsuzua
I think this would be a better source of information, Missions 4th Season FAQ. The banned qualities are on page 3.
sinthalix
Hida, you are correct...I didn't bother checking the FAQ against that list before I posted the link.

The FAQ has everything of course smile.gif

Thanks!
SaintHax
QUOTE (CrowOfPyke @ Aug 17 2011, 03:06 PM) *
From Runner's Companion:
Restricted Gear
Cost: 5 BP
The character knows just the right person to get a hold of that

Quoting rules from copyrighted games is generally frowned upon. The publishers feel that even in short sections the Internet is easy enough to search that it creates a free reference material and cuts into their profits akin to piracy.
Bull
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Aug 20 2011, 10:37 PM) *
Quoting rules from copyrighted games is generally frowned upon. The publishers feel that even in short sections the Internet is easy enough to search that it creates a free reference material and cuts into their profits akin to piracy.

Generally speaking, short passages quoted as examples in posts like this are examples of "Fair Use", as far as I know.

Now, if you were to start cutting and pasting entire pages of text, then it becomes an issue.

Bull
KarmaInferno
Mostly it comes down to the forum administrator's wishes, though. And so far the Dumpshock admins have not seemed to mind short quotes and passages.

-k
Bull
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Aug 23 2011, 12:23 AM) *
Mostly it comes down to the forum administrator's wishes, though. And so far the Dumpshock admins have not seemed to mind short quotes and passages.

-k

Considering CGL's general presence on the forum as well, it's also a consideration as to what we (and Topps) will allow. So far, generally seems pretty lenient. I'd just say "don't abuse it".

Bull
SaintHax
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Aug 23 2011, 01:23 AM) *

I agree with this-- in addition to the publishers view. Games Workshop will take legal action (starting with a warning letter) against any forum that posts any broken down costs for items /characters no matter how small the quote is. Games a treated a little different than normal literature since the numbers are often the "meat" of the works. I forget from the forums I'm on whose particular about these things.
KarmaInferno
Games Workshop tends to be a very strange duck even in the gaming industry, though.

You hear a lot of stuff about them that seems downright unfriendly.

-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012