Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Register/Summoning
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Miri
So how do you as a PC use Register and Summoning? Do you mostly use it between games to call into being a somewhat faithful semi long term servant or do you ask your team mates for a half day or more to create one. I can see Registering or Summing one when a very specific situation comes up, IE planning a run against a specific building and while the rest of the team is casing the joint the TM or Mage is back home making a minion.
Makki
do you mean Registering and Binding?
Miri
QUOTE (Makki @ Jul 26 2011, 01:39 PM) *
do you mean Registering and Binding?

Register/Registering for Technomancers and now that I've looked up the mirror for Mages, yes Binding. Interesting that a mage has to summon the spirit first and can then bind it, more difficult and uses consumable resources but spirits can effect meat space directly, sprites have to find something to mess with to effect meat space.
LurkerOutThere
Well you are right on the resources bit and right on the reason for it. Additionally Technomancer do need to compile their sprites before they can register them just as mages must summon.
Miri
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 26 2011, 02:01 PM) *
Well you are right on the resources bit and right on the reason for it. Additionally Technomancer do need to compile their sprites before they can register them just as mages must summon.

Interesting, because now that you mention it and I reread the relevant paragraph in 4A I can see that, (since it says that a sprite will stick around for the registering even if it takes more then the 8 hours they would normally stick around) but it doesn't actually explicitly say, "compile a sprite then register it" like the paragraphs on Binding does.
TheOOB
Basically, given enough downtime, a techno should always have a full stable of registered sprites.
LurkerOutThere
........right but if you didn't compile the sprite it has to come from somewhere. Registering a sprite doesn't create a sprite out of nothing.
Miri
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 26 2011, 02:22 PM) *
........right but if you didn't compile the sprite it has to come from somewhere. Registering a sprite doesn't create a sprite out of nothing.

Well the first sentence of that paragraph says "Registering is the method of compell..." dammit I need to stop squinting at my iPhone when I'm at work. eek.gif
TheOOB
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 26 2011, 02:22 PM) *

Compiling comes before registering, thats kind assumed.
LurkerOutThere
Yes well the OP seemed to have it misread. That is corrected now.
Smirnov
Downtime Binding is preferable, especially if it comes in with Invocation. Too much Drain to risk it during the action phase.
Can't say much about Sprites as I never played a Technomancer.
Mr. Unpronounceable
And you really, really want that additional test - you'll end up with more owed services.
Miri
Yeah, our game is going to have a lot of downtime between when we finished the module and we pick up. So I'm planning to have at least two or three registered sprites, one of which I'm pushing to a Rating 6 sprite. Going to be my 13 (exploding with edge) vs its 12 to resist that registering.
LurkerOutThere
Provided it doesn't also spend edge. The really nasty thing about registering/binding is you are resisting the drain off the sprites/spirits hitsx2 not net hits. So on a rating 6 sprite you have the potential to have to resist 24 drain which should it happen will kill or knock out most characters. Even though sprites are more forgiving when it comes to services and most don't have attack complex forms so their ability to hurt you if they break free is minimal it's still best to have a binding/registering buddy with you, even if it's just a mundane character who knows first aid, heck even a drone that knows first aid is better then nothing.
Udoshi
If people haven't looked at Registering, you should.

1 karma and a machine sprite means you never glitch on the matrix again. At least for a year. Because Stability can be used on icons as well as nodes.

It can be kinda pricey, but having on-demand sprite powers without drain or services is kind of fantastic.
Miri
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jul 28 2011, 12:25 AM) *
If people haven't looked at Registering, you should.

1 karma and a machine sprite means you never glitch on the matrix again. At least for a year. Because Stability can be used on icons as well as nodes.

It can be kinda pricey, but having on-demand sprite powers without drain or services is kind of fantastic.

Well.. for 256 days at least.. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Miri @ Jul 28 2011, 05:53 AM) *
Well.. for 256 days at least.. smile.gif

Which ain't bad... smile.gif
Miri
And if they do get decompiled they come back a heck of a lot quicker then spirits do, 16 days flat instead of 30-F.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Miri @ Jul 28 2011, 06:26 AM) *
And if they do get decompiled they come back a heck of a lot quicker then spirits do, 16 days flat instead of 30-F.

Nitpick... 28 Days-Force for Spirits... smile.gif
Miri
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 28 2011, 07:31 AM) *
Nitpick... 28 Days-Force for Spirits... smile.gif

*gimlet eyes* cyber.gif
Halinn
QUOTE (Miri @ Jul 28 2011, 04:02 PM) *
*gimlet eyes* cyber.gif

You mean like that Dwarf who runs the delicatessen on Cable Street?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012