Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Legends is live
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Slithery D
So how many inconsistencies can we find in Street Legends vs. previous published background on these characters? I noticed two big ones on Kia. In SL he's a he and a former corp exec who is presumably a college grad. Unfortunately, in Attitudes a piece authored by Kia describes himself as a high school dropout, and one of the inset boxes has a Johnson addressing him as "Ms. Kia."

Oops.
Medicineman
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Aug 16 2011, 09:54 AM) *
Unless you are playing a mad max-like campaign where every piece of gear counts.

Or in Hollow Earth where you explore the Inner Earth,or in a Fantasy Campaign trying to cross a Desert
but that is something different ! Here lack of equipment is/can become part of the Plot. That can never be a Hartwurst.
its only Hartwurst if its not really necessary and a "funkiller"

with the last offtopic Dance
Medicineman
Grinder
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Aug 16 2011, 05:02 PM) *
with the last offtopic Dance

You better do. mad.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Aug 16 2011, 04:59 PM) *
So how many inconsistencies can we find in Street Legends vs. previous published background on these characters? I noticed two big ones on Kia. In SL he's a he and a former corp exec who is presumably a college grad. Unfortunately, in Attitudes a piece authored by Kia describes himself as a high school dropout, and one of the inset boxes has a Johnson addressing him as "Ms. Kia."

Oops.

Do you have a page reference for that?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Aug 16 2011, 07:59 AM) *

Oops.

No Ooops. Obviously two different people. After all, I am sure there are a lot of 'Runners who use street names modeled after Vehicle Manufacturing Companies.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 16 2011, 10:21 AM) *
No Ooops. Obviously two different people. After all, I am sure there are a lot of 'Runners who use street names modeled after Vehicle Manufacturing Companies.
...on Jackpoint.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 16 2011, 10:06 AM) *
Do you have a page reference for that?

Attitude Page 34: "I skipped out on high school, but I love watching those old flatvids about the high school jocks." Attitude Page 30: "Ms. Kia:"
EKBT81
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 16 2011, 05:21 PM) *

I'm not familiar with the piece of text in question. But even if they were the same guy, I'd take anything a shadowrunner says about his own past with a grain of salt. It's not like they don't have any motivation to lie about their past or misdirect others.

The Ms Kia might be explained with a Mask spell or a misleading matrix persona.
EKBT81
-double post-
Slithery D
QUOTE (EKBT81 @ Aug 16 2011, 11:34 AM) *
The Ms Kia might be explained with a Mask spell or a misleading matrix persona.

There is a mention that in SL that Kia prefers matrix meets, and that IS consistent with the text boxes in Attitude.
CanRay
I'm not sure how common Kia is as a name. But Suzuki is apparently fairly common: A famous ecologically minded scientist in Canada is named Dr. David Suzuki, CC, OBC, Ph.D., and I don't think he has anything to do with Suzuki Kabushiki-Kaisha.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 16 2011, 06:45 PM) *
I'm not sure how common Kia is as a name. But Suzuki is apparently fairly common: A famous ecologically minded scientist in Canada is named Dr. David Suzuki, CC, OBC, Ph.D., and I don't think he has anything to do with Suzuki Kabushiki-Kaisha.

Not sure if Kia as a company is named after its founder, in the way Suzuki or Ford is.

edit: a quick wiki check indicates it being a TLA...

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Kia_Motors
EKBT81
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 16 2011, 06:45 PM) *

The car company's name doesn't seem to derive from a family. From their webpage:

The word “Kia” is derived from the Chinese characters Ki, meaning to “arise or come up out of” and a, referring to Asia. So when put together, Kia means to “arise or come up out of Asia”

However, there are people with "Kia" as a first name, so it may very well have nothing at all to do with the car manufacturer.
Medicineman
....oO(and I thought Kia means Killed in Action....,Boy was I wrong)

with a Thoughtfull Dance
Medicineman
Bull
I can't tell you about the High School drop-out thing (But always take anything a runner says in character with a grain of salt), but Kia is listed as a Human Male in the freelancer Jackpointer database. So the "Ms. Johnson" thing is either a different Kia (Unlikely, though it *is* a No-Prize explanation for it), Kia adopting a famel persona for his online meet (THe most likely explanation), or simply a typo that got missed somewhere along the line (Easy enough, especially since till that point Kia hadn't gotten written up).

BTW, someone was asking how many Jackpointers there were... My current count is 61 Jackpointers. There are also at least 38 unique Helix (German version of Jackpoint) members (Plus some Jackpoint members as well), though the list we have is outdated, so they may have added more since. Not sure if Helix has a "closed" membership like Jackpoint, or is more open like Shadowland was, so has more rotating membership.

Bull
Mäx
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 16 2011, 08:23 PM) *
Not sure if Helix has a "closed" membership like Jackpoint, or is more open like Shadowland was, so has more rotating membership.

According to it's Target MAtrix Write up, Helix is an open datahaven like the shadowland was, second biggest after Denver Nexus.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Aug 16 2011, 08:59 AM) *
So how many inconsistencies can we find in Street Legends vs. previous published background on these characters?Oops.

If you find any for Martin de Vries, let me know so I can make sure not to make that mistake again in future....
Bull
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 16 2011, 01:42 PM) *
According to it's Target MAtrix Write up, Helix is an open datahaven like the shadowland was, second biggest after Denver Nexus.

Right. But that was almost 15 years ago, in game time. (ANd hell, 10+ real time).

According to the info I have, it was prominently used in the SOX write up. I believe it's been used in the newer German books as well. Not being able to read German, I'm SOL when it comes to first hand knowledge of the German Line, unfortunately. So I'm not sure if the Helix was re-purposed to be more of a closed system like Jackpoint with the SR4 revamp or not.

I imagine it still is a normal style Data Haven, but one of the Germans here can probably fill us in. smile.gif

Bull

Bull
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Aug 16 2011, 01:42 PM) *
If you find any for Martin de Vries, let me know so I can make sure not to make that mistake again in future....

Well, Martin is a pretty pretty princess, he's said to wear a pink tu-tu most of the time, and he sparkles in the sun. smile.gif

Oh, and he rides his vampiric war-moose everywhere he goes.

Bull
Patrick Goodman
Dammit. I knew I forgot something....
CanRay
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Aug 16 2011, 12:16 PM) *
....oO(and I thought Kia means Killed in Action....,Boy was I wrong)

with a Thoughtfull Dance
Medicineman
That's KIA. Note the capitalization.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 16 2011, 06:01 PM) *
That's KIA. Note the capitalization.

Meh. I considered that the character might have been named Kia based on the same interpretation.
Sengir
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 16 2011, 08:28 PM) *
I imagine it still is a normal style Data Haven, but one of the Germans here can probably fill us in. smile.gif

One of the Germans reporting for duty biggrin.gif

The login page of SOX said this was posted in the new VIP section in the Helix, because of too many new posters flooding the open network. Nice sideswipe through the fourth wall wink.gif
CanRay
I was wondering why the fourth wall had paint scrapings and a dent in it...
Bull
QUOTE (Sengir @ Aug 17 2011, 07:27 AM) *
One of the Germans reporting for duty biggrin.gif

The login page of SOX said this was posted in the new VIP section in the Helix, because of too many new posters flooding the open network. Nice sideswipe through the fourth wall wink.gif

Cool. SOX was a what, several years ago or more now? Have they continued to use a mostly closed pool of posters for the Helix since then, ala Jackpoint?

Thanks for the reply! We have a couple German Freelancers in the CGL Discussion Pool (AAS, and at least one other I think). I should pester them about updating the German information. Though in AAS' case, not sure I want to distract him from doing artwork for me wink.gif

Bull
Stahlseele
And you certainly don't want to distract him from working on the next germany only book either nyahnyah.gif
Stormdrake
Just got done reading Street Legends and had a question. Did the writers change Lugh Silverhand into a regular elf rather than an immortal elf? I am running the artifact series of encounters so I know immortal elves are still in the game but as he is listed he seems a little underpowered for one of the immortal jerk crowd, lol.
CanRay
Everything is written in-universe, so sometimes they get things wrong.

From the writer's point of view, this is on purpose. nyahnyah.gif
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Aug 17 2011, 12:38 PM) *
Just got done reading Street Legends and had a question. Did the writers change Lugh Silverhand into a regular elf rather than an immortal elf? I am running the artifact series of encounters so I know immortal elves are still in the game but as he is listed he seems a little underpowered for one of the immortal jerk crowd, lol.

They also didn't include his immunities that he's supposed to have as an immortal elf (age, pathogens, toxins, diseases). So if a person wasn't up on their metaplot for Shadowrun, they'd have no idea that Lugh Surehand was an immortal elf at all.
Stormdrake
I get that it is an in universe piece but the stats are for the GM and as they don't list that info it kinda makes it wrong info. I can addd it no problem but as I paid 25 bucks I would like the GM information to be correct.

Having said that I do like the write up (fluff) on all of the characters. Gives a better handle on how the character has acted in the past and could behave in the future.
Nath
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Aug 17 2011, 07:07 PM) *
They also didn't include his immunities that he's supposed to have as an immortal elf (age, pathogens, toxins, diseases). So if a person wasn't up on their metaplot for Shadowrun, they'd have no idea that Lugh Surehand was an immortal elf at all.
I have a hard time believing it myself, but I have yet to find any actual mention of the existence immortal elves in Shadowrun (let alone rules) since Threats, in 1996. Since, only lately had Dawn of the Artifacts: Darkest Hour described Ehran as an "Immortal Elf".

hobgoblin
How many elfs have been documented as dying from natural causes?
Stahlseele
Well, i say for elfs blunt trauma and high velocity lead poisoning should be natural cause . .
Nath
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 17 2011, 08:35 PM) *
The oldest "regular" elves and dwarves just got past their 60, which is a bit early to "die of old age", even for human. Spike babies may be as old as 85 (Liam O'Connor was born in 1987 according to Tir na nOg), but it's not clear there would be enough of them around to make significant statistics.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Nath @ Aug 17 2011, 08:59 PM) *
The oldest "regular" elves and dwarves just got past their 60, which is a bit early to "die of old age", even for human. Spike babies may be as old as 85 (Liam O'Connor was born in 1987 according to Tir na nOg), but it's not clear there would be enough of them around to make significant statistics.

So in essence, there is no medical way at present to tell a immortal elf from a mortal one in good health.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 17 2011, 02:06 PM) *
So in essence, there is no medical way at present to tell a immortal elf from a mortal one in good health.

That would be correct, sir. smile.gif
hobgoblin
So for all we know ol' Surehand can be pulling one epic con job? Unless those pointy ears have some magical ritual or other to test the "claim", that is...
CanRay
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 17 2011, 01:35 PM) *
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 17 2011, 01:39 PM) *
Well, i say for elfs blunt trauma and high velocity lead poisoning should be natural cause . .
Coroners put that down as "Suicide" depending on where they were found. Less paperwork.
Sephiroth
Actually, I checked my old Threats copy, and it says that some of the higher-ups in the Seelie Court and in Tir Tairngire had developed a way to test for the immortality gene in elves.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 17 2011, 09:50 PM) *
Coroners put that down as "Suicide" depending on where they were found. Less paperwork.

OK, i'll let that count ^^
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Aug 17 2011, 01:59 PM) *
Actually, I checked my old Threats copy, and it says that some of the higher-ups in the Seelie Court and in Tir Tairngire had developed a way to test for the immortality gene in elves.

Unfortunately, they forgot to share such research with us mere mortals. frown.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 17 2011, 09:50 PM) *
So for all we know ol' Surehand can be pulling one epic con job? Unless those pointy ears have some magical ritual or other to test the "claim", that is...

well, the other immortals probably simply know/remember him from the 4th age . .
Fatum
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 18 2011, 12:14 AM) *
Unfortunately, they forgot to share such research with us mere mortals. frown.gif
And why would they.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 17 2011, 02:23 PM) *
And why would they.

No Doubt...
As for remembering him from the 4th Age; He may not have been born then. But he could be a Spike Baby from 300-400 Years ago, and still be an Immortal Elf. Just because he may be Immortal, it does not mean he ahs been around for 10,000 Years or so.
CanRay
Also, whose to say that they actually all know one another? It's a big planet, and even when working behind the scenes during the Fifth World, it's still a big planet.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 17 2011, 03:45 PM) *
Also, whose to say that they actually all know one another? It's a big planet, and even when working behind the scenes during the Fifth World, it's still a big planet.

Indeed it is. What, a few hundred Immortal Elves, at best, against the Massed population of 6 Billion? Not likely to cross paths very often at all, unless they knew each other to begin with.
Nath
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 17 2011, 11:52 PM) *
Indeed it is. What, a few hundred Immortal Elves, at best, against the Massed population of 6 Billion? Not likely to cross paths very often at all, unless they knew each other to begin with.
The number rather was a few hundred millions during the Middle Age, and maybe ten millions at the beginning of the Fifth Age. Plus, for those who are Caucasian, it kinda limits the area they may come from.
CanRay
Or African, or Australian (I know there's one of those at least), or Asian, or...

EDIT: Damnit, now I want to make an Inuit Immortal Elf just to screw with people.
Nath
What I mean was, regarding the original discussion, Lugh Surehand doesn't look like an Inuit.
Stahlseele
Captain Obvious saves the original discussion again! *grins* ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012