Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changes, updates and shiny
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
Redjack
Time has come for us to look into upgrading the forum software. There is a licensing cost associated with this and we would like to get maintenance. This brings us to three talking points:
1) There are costs with both the software and hosting. Currently we are absorbing the costs of out pocket.
2) There will be a major update to the site this year. This will bring some new functionality and a bit of work to insure that older functions (like spoiler tags) work properly.
3) A new skin will be required with the new software. With support, we could have more than one.

For #1, we would like to keep from advertising if possible. An option to avoid banner ads used in the past was to make available the "Dumpshocked" group for a nominal donation. For those already dumpshocked, we would consider a second tier group like "Dumpshocked Again" or "Dumpshocked Twice" or "Dumpshocked & Blackhammered", etc.

For #2, this would be worked through in a beta site of some sort.

For #3, we would welcome community support on this. Not sure exactly how we would manage it, but I'm sure some of our members can come up with creative ways.

-Redjack
Redjack
Anybody have any thoughts?
pbangarth
I have suggested in the past that I would be willing to pay a bit to get a more stable system. An upgrade that is spiffy also qualifies. It sucks that I have dumped my credit card, though.

I want Dumpshock to continue and improve and be most excellent as it has been. love.gif
Redjack
Excellent!
What are your thoughts on the minimum donation to join the Dumpshocked group?
pbangarth
I don't know.

What would the change cost? I could figure out how much of that I could swing. I canvass door-to-door for Greenpeace, and we give memberships to people who donate different amounts. The idea is that becoming a part of the effort is the real reward, and people give what they can afford.
Stahlseele
New skin?
Do we have to? ;_;
I LIKE this skin . . .
Hell, i would pay to keep things like they are <.<
Method
Maybe if we get enough support we could afford to keep this skin as an option... wink.gif
Redjack
The skin mechanism changes, but this skin could be recreated. To be honest, I really like this skin as well.

Edit: And all the support we can get from the community would be nice. wink.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 11 2011, 03:52 PM) *
For #1, we would like to keep from advertising if possible. An option to avoid banner ads used in the past was to make available the "Dumpshocked" group for a nominal donation.

Well, with ad revenues being what they are, that would effectively be a voluntary donation model. Why not just announce it as such? Of course, I don't know about past experiences with that angle...
Abdul Alhazred
Or get a Dumpshock Patch made.. or swaky shirt. Charge 25 when it costs 15 to make.

Black of course. Add in a swaky snarky shadowrun quote. toss dumpshock's logo on the breast. done.
Redjack
Hmmm... Perhaps the t-shirt idea. It would be cool if we all had t-shirts for the meet and greet at Gen-Con next year...

1) Dumpshock.com: Watch your back, conserve your ammo and never, ever deal with a dragon!
2) Dumpshock.com: The Official, un-official Shadowrun forums.
3) Dumpshock.com: The stuffer shack of Shadowrun forums.
4) Dumpshock.com: Defying definition since 2050....
5) Dumpshock.com: Get your Shadowrun on.
6) Dumpshock.com: Not the corporate forums...
7) Dumpshock.com: If you have to ask, ask Bubba the Troll.
8 ) Dumpshock.com: Living the low-lifestyle.

Just some that came off the top of my head. Other?
Stahlseele
Dumpshock.com: Trolling comes natural if you're 3m tall.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Redjack @ Aug 15 2011, 04:43 PM) *
1) Dumpshock.com: Watch your back, conserve your ammo and never, ever deal with a dragon!
Isn't it "Watch your back, conserve your ammo and never, ever cut a deal with a dragon!"?

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 15 2011, 08:19 PM) *
Dumpshock.com: Trolling comes natural if you're 3m tall.
rotfl.gif
Abdul Alhazred
Accord to Street Legends with a 33 Bod - I don't think ANYTHING is going to be cutting a dragon anytime soon.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Aug 16 2011, 03:33 PM) *
Isn't it "Watch your back, conserve your ammo and never, ever cut a deal with a dragon!"?

rotfl.gif

Thank you, thank you, i will be here all year ^^
Adarael
My contribution:

I wouldn't mind getting Dumpshocked, since I've been here for 8 years and I'm still a neophyte runner. wink.gif I figure I spend enough time here to owe you guys some site fees.
Redjack
Given that we are attempting to raise like $500 to pay for software licensing/maintenance and hosting fees for the next year, does $20/Dumpshocked sound fair?
pbangarth
That would work for me. I have abandoned credit cards for the moment (See how I make that sound like it's my choice?) so I am not sure how I would transfer a payment. Paypal?
Redjack
I have create a PayPal account associated to the email address: redjack (at) dumpshock.com [(at) = @]
Once you transfer there, just send me a PM with the email address you sent the money from and I will update your account to "Dumpshocked"

Thanks!
-RJ
Abdul Alhazred
Do we get a hug from Bull ?
Redjack
We are hoping to get a meeting room for the Dumpshock meet and greet next year at Gen Con. Bull loves to give out hugs. wink.gif
Stahlseele
hell, you could make money from that . . pay 50 bucks, and bull WON'T hug you! *snickers*
nah, Bull is such a nice guy, i'd pay and still endure it ^^
Sengir
20 $ sounds fair to me -- I mean if it comes down to cost vs. use, DS added more to SR than any single sourcebook. So looks like I will have to wade into the depths of Paypal *shudders*
Stahlseele
yeah, i think i'll try and get paypal to like me too . .
i tried several times, and they simply would not accept my registration for some reason or other <.<
Redjack
I open to other suggestions if paypal does not work...?
Redjack
Also, any current and future members of the Dumpshocked group can send (via email) me a custom avatar and I will link it to their account.

Edit: PG-13 still applies. nyahnyah.gif
Neko Asakami
So is $20 the official cost to get 'shocked?
Redjack
QUOTE (Neko Asakami @ Aug 21 2011, 01:50 AM) *
So is $20 the official cost to get 'shocked?
Yes.

EDIT: And as noted above $50 to not get hugged by Bull. nyahnyah.gif
Redjack
New topic opened
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012