Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drones and weapon mounts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
EpicSpire
If i put two weapon mounts on a drone will the drone be able to fire at two separate targets.

Can someone please either quote the source or at least post a reference.

i am currently assuming that the drone can fire at a 2nd target as long as it either splits it's dice pool and takes the -2 penalty for shooting at a second target as if it was a person in ranged combat. or if it has a simple action to spare, it would just use that action to fire with no need to split the dice but would still take the -2 penalty.

my gaming group also has another idea that the gun itself would need a pilot chip in order to fire Independence of the drone. I think that the chip would negate the dice splitting and even the -2 penalty, but that the gun could not aim itself or move the turret, so the drone would still need to turn the turret or weapon mount and point it in the direction of the target.

any suggestions and input is welcome, but an official ruling would be nice too
KarmaInferno
Pretty much what you did, the drone follows the same dice-pool split rules as any other entity in the game for multiple attacks, regardless of how many weapons it has.

The only exception is if it's being operated in Remote Control mode, then it can only take Complex Actions.

-k
Lansdren
I'm unsure of a RAW ruling but if I was GM'ing I would accept a second commlink and a agent put into a drone to let the turret be independent of the drone itself, Logic seems to follow that if a Pilot program can control a drone and its weapon a pilot and a agent could do both at a slightly better (or more efficient) level.

Its not RAW by any means but seems plausable
SpellBinder
Well, weapons can be given a Pilot Upgrade as long as they're SmartGun equipped. Add in a Propulsion System upgrade on top of that (limping might suffice), and you've now got a gun that can potentially twist in its own weapon mount and shoot on its own. Two mod slots minimum, if you take the SmartGun as an accessory (if it's not already integrated in the weapon itself). Arsenal, page 152, has both options listed.
EpicSpire
Thanks for the information and suggestions so far, as well as the quick responses.

some of which i haven't taken into account such as the agent in the drone/gun.

I think someone in my group mentioned a propulsion system, but not sure what the response from the other were.

If there is any other suggestions or information, please feel free to respond.
Lansdren
If its powered movable turrent (Ie can aim independent of what direction the drone is moving in) then I dont see the need for the extra mods, its already designed to be moved and just hooking up a independent control system seems fairly easy.

In my mind I can see a large drone with independent systems to control it working together with pilot (for moving) and Agents (for weapons systems and internal matrix defense) hell enough agents and a poweful nexus you can get a pretty cool running drone
Yerameyahu
Agents don't do that AFAIK, you'd need another Pilot. Such a thing doesn't exist in the normal rules (per se; you'd think the Pilot from the Smart Platform would work), but there's no reason you can't houserule that. A Pilot Upgraded gun wouldn't work, unless it was just duct-taped on.

I'm fine with letting the drone or Jumped-In rigger split their pool as normal.
Miri
What I want to know is this.. it is acceptable for a Rigger to jump into his [vehicle] and do the driving while the heavy weapons Sam dives into the remote turret with gyro stabilizer to blow away the corpsec chasing them.

Why can't a rigger jump into the [vehicle] and tell the pilot program to use its Gunnery autosoft to shoot or let another teammate follow along and run the turret?
Yerameyahu
RAW, I think 'no'. In actual play: slap on another Rigger Box and hell, go for it. The heavy weapons sam would probably be better with a manual weapon, though.

No, because Jumped-In overrides everything. It's broad-spectrum and automatic, unconscious.
Miri
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 25 2011, 07:57 AM) *
RAW, I think 'no'. In actual play: slap on another Rigger Box and hell, go for it. The heavy weapons sam would probably be better with a manual weapon, though.

No, because Jumped-In overrides everything. It's broad-spectrum and automatic, unconscious.

Then by that same ruling, if a team were trying to escape the driver would have to AR drive his van so that someone else could AR run the turret, and god help the team if the gunner forgot about the cut outs and decided to dive into the turret to shoot better.
Lansdren
I think part of this is because a vehicle is still treated as one system. I can see a reasonable house rule being one vehicles not drones you could add in modifications (second rigger box) to give subsystems seperate controls
Miri
QUOTE (Lansdren @ Aug 25 2011, 09:27 AM) *
I think part of this is because a vehicle is still treated as one system. I can see a reasonable house rule being one vehicles not drones you could add in modifications (second rigger box) to give subsystems seperate controls

If drones were not considered a vehicle sure. *shrug* I don't see too much problem with simply saying spend the money and mod slot for a second Rigger Box installed and just saying that a second person can Jump In and control anything that the primary Rigger Box releases control of (Turrets, ECM gear, Sensor Suites etc etc).

Rules as Written say once someone jumps in it totally cuts anyone else out, but that doesn't really feel right and don't really believe that was intended to keep a driver and his team from VR running the vehicle equipment at the same time.
Yerameyahu
AR/VR shouldn't matter, Miri. RAW, it's a no. Seems reasonable to house rule it otherwise, sure, and I think the speed bump of requiring more rigger boxes is fair.

AFAIK, it's absolutely intended that Jumped-In overrides everything. You *are* the vehicle.
Miri
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 25 2011, 10:34 AM) *
AR/VR shouldn't matter, Miri. RAW, it's a no. Seems reasonable to house rule it otherwise, sure, and I think the speed bump of requiring more rigger boxes is fair.

AFAIK, it's absolutely intended that Jumped-In overrides everything. You *are* the vehicle.

Then any military vehicle doesn't need anything more then the one driver and the Riggers Box. They don't need and in fact can't use a RIO or Gunnery person sitting second seat.
Yerameyahu
That may well be the case. I don't know. Or, they may have some yet-undisclosed multiple control system. Others can also use manual weaponry, and it's not unthinkable that a 'manual' gun could be electronic. The issue is whether it's 'part' of the Jumped-In rigger's 'self'.

I do know the the purpose of Jumped-In rigging has always been 'you are the machine', in all editions. Not part of it. Jumping-In trumps all other controls, including enemy hackers; this is a major *feature*, and an advertised one.

I'm not saying 'don't change it'. I'm just describing the base rules.
KarmaInferno
An Arachne drone basically gives you an autonomous extra turret.

-k
Yerameyahu
Same as the Smart Platform, right. It's an extra Pilot controlling a non-connected additional weapon, so that's fine… no different than someone sitting atop your car with a gun.
Xarin
Easiest RAW solution I think might be to just mod the vehicle with gun ports instead of weapon mounts, then add drones or smart platforms with thier own mounted weapons to shoot out from the ports.

You could even cluster them all together or slave the drones to the vehicle if you really felt like it (though aside from cutting down on subscriptions there may not be much point).
hobgoblin
Each of those would have their own initative tho, no? Or would they all be firing on the controllers initiative? A kind of mass order of "attack that target"?
Yerameyahu
Clustering and slaving wouldn't have relevant effects, as you say.
hobgoblin
Heh, would have been fun if a latter book came out with a "drone brain" accessory for weapon mounts. I think then one may build something like what they had for capital ships in Rigger3.
Yerameyahu
Yeah, it seems like a perfectly fair house rule. Buy another Box, another Pilot, another set of Autosofts, and it can only be applied to a fully 'remote' (are they still called that?) mount.
hobgoblin
Most turrets are of the remote kind, manual controls are a optional accessory.
Xarin
Or you can take a page from the Hill Billy Handbook for Riggers:

Take vehicle drone.
Get drone with weapon turret attached.
Apply Duct Tape.
Repeat as desired.
Yerameyahu
Sure. You might lose the RC, and the possibilities for failure are entertaining. It's been discussed before, anyway: on glitch, it gets loose? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012