Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lookin for some new reads
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
SinN
Hey Gents and Ladies
Been deployed for a few months and have read every single book I own. And the donated books at the USO are slim pickins for anything interesting. So I decided to cave and start ordering books to read. So I thought Id ask the genius's of the Dumpshock kind for some suggestions. So, thoughts?
Brazilian_Shinobi
Neuromancer (duuuuh)
Dune (only the ones writen by Frank Herbert)
A Song of Ice and Fire
Lord of the Rings
The Borne novels by Robert Ludlum
Stahlseele
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallen_Angels..._fiction_novel)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_(novel)
Longer Time reading?
Start with the WH40K novels for example . .
pbangarth
Paul J. McAuley, An Invisible Country.

The Invisible Country. London: Gollancz, 1996. ISBN 0-575-06072-7 -- Philip K. Dick Award nominee, 1998

A collection of short stories by McAuley, covering a range of his series. The series that pertains the most here is the one that imagines a near future in which surgical/genetic/chemical modification has dramatically altered human experience. I have never read any story, in SR fiction or otherwise, that captured for me better the feel of a dystopian future in which the little guys struggle to make it through the shadows cast by the powerful than the title piece for this anthology.

And where he sees bio-modification going is fucking scary and horrifying.

HERE is the author on Wikipedia.
Jhaiisiin
Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher
SinN
love.gif Im in love with all of you. These all look excellent.
Bigity
As a military guy, you might like The Black Company series, by Glen Cook.

BTW: Come back safe soldier. Or airman, or sailor or whatever ya are smile.gif
SinN
Airman grinbig.gif

A guy I work with has told me about the black company series. Im intrigued by it. Just may pick it up.
Tanegar
If you can find them, grab a series called The Exordium, by Sherwood Smith and Dave Trowbridge. There are five books: The Phoenix in Flight, Ruler of Naught, A Prison Unsought, The Rifter's Covenant, and The Thrones of Kronos, and they are hands-down the best space opera I've ever read. Well-drawn characters, an excellent plot expertly paced, high political intrigue, awesome action scenes, and a master-crafted setting. They've been out of print for years, but they are more than worth the effort of tracking down a set.
Bigity
QUOTE (SinN @ Sep 6 2011, 12:58 PM) *
Airman grinbig.gif

A guy I work with has told me about the black company series. Im intrigued by it. Just may pick it up.

You aren't a COMM trooper by any chance are ya? 3C0 here, or I was anyway nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
if you don't mind some kinda slow reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Comsto...Century_America
SinN
Nope, dont work comm.
pbangarth
Hey, guys, "Loose lips sink ships!"

I know it's unlikely that nasties are following Dumpshock, but I'm wondering whether we might be approaching useful information on DS.

Too many years of SR paranoia, maybe, but just sayin'.
SinN
This is why I havent said Where i am, what unit im with, and what my job is. Situational Awareness is your friend grinbig.gif
Wounded Ronin
What you clearly need is The Penetrator.

http://www.amazon.com/Purple-Northwest-Con...8980&sr=1-8
Critias
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 7 2011, 10:15 AM) *
Hey, guys, "Loose lips sink ships!"

I know it's unlikely that nasties are following Dumpshock, but I'm wondering whether we might be approaching useful information on DS.

...where, exactly?

I don't ask to be grouchy and hostile or sarcastic, but simply because I don't see what's been anything worth any sort of concern.
SinN
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 7 2011, 08:24 AM) *
...where, exactly?

I don't ask to be grouchy and hostile or sarcastic, but simply because I don't see what's been anything worth any sort of concern.

I was going to ask this as well, but decided Id better take a nicer aproach. Ol' Sinn is hangin up his "King of the assholes" crown grinbig.gif
Bigity
I know all about what to say and what not to say, and knew better to ask where nyahnyah.gif

BTW a comm trooper is anyone who worked in a communications job, like folks updating the base webpage to the saps changing out toner cartridges. No big secret force or anything smile.gif
SinN
[quote name='Bigity' date='Sep 7 2011, 08:34 AM' post='1104047'

BTW a comm trooper is anyone who worked in a communications job, like folks updating the base webpage to the saps changing out toner cartridges. No big secret force or anything smile.gif
[/quote]

Oh come now, without you guys, who would i borrow a pen from?
Bigity
A pen? Feh. Who is gonna hook you up with the rolling chairs and air conditioning, that's the question nyahnyah.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 7 2011, 11:15 AM) *
... but I'm wondering whether we might be approaching useful information on DS.

Approaching, not there yet. Seems as if my comment was unnecessary. Apologies.
Bigity
Nah no worries. I wasn't offended or nothing in any case.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Bigity @ Sep 6 2011, 11:28 AM) *
As a military guy, you might like The Black Company series, by Glen Cook.

BTW: Come back safe soldier. Or airman, or sailor or whatever ya are smile.gif

Sinn, I've read at least the first of the Black Company. I've still got the book so I'll send it out to you. Also, can't believe no one recommended the Night Angel Trilogy to you. I still have Nightlife to, from that series you were reading. I'll send you out that one as well.

QUOTE (pbangarth)

There's a surprising (or maybe not so) number of military on here. DS might not be a data mine of information, but mil types always have to be careful . You don't want to be the one guy that said something stupid in the wrong place and someone just happened to find it, and then someone dies. That's Bad Karma.
hermit
Well.

The WH40K Horus Heresy Cycle and the Gaunt's Ghosts series are pretty good (they keep their incompetent authors to other novels).

A Song Of Ice And Fire is definitly a worth read too. Just hope the old man can complete the series until he dies. Currently, he takes 7 years to write a book, with five in the planned 7 novel cycle complete.

By the Ice and Fire author, the Wild Cards universe is worth a look, too. This is what sURGE should have been like.

Dune is also good, but I find I don't like it as much as I used to. And stay the HELL away from the Prequels. they're total rubbish.

The Harry Dresden novels are great urban magic noir.

And if you like military fiction, there's always Bernard Cromwell's Sharpe series.
Stahlseele
When it comes to WH40K, try and read the Dan Abnet Novels.
They call it the Daniverse for a reason.
hermit
McNeill and Dempsky-Brown are also pretty good. But yes, Abnet is about the best guy they have.
Tanegar
The only 40k novels I've read are some of Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain books. Is Abnett Mitchell's equal?
hermit
Just as good, in my opinion, though really a lot crueler to his main characters (The Iron Star *cringe*). Abnett does the grimdark really well, and is a good, cochise and usually fast storyteller.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 27 2011, 08:54 PM) *
Just as good, in my opinion, though really a lot crueler to his main characters (The Iron Star *cringe*). Abnett does the grimdark really well, and is a good, cochise and usually fast storyteller.

ALL of the Gaunts Ghosts are pretty horrible to the characters . .
Because THEY ARE THE BASELINE HUMANS. No Supersoldiers . .

Also: i don't think i have found a single ciaphas caine book in germany yet <.<
but i need to find one i guess . . because: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!! (warning, page may contain a bit of NSFW every now and then)
Critias
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 27 2011, 12:45 PM) *
The only 40k novels I've read are some of Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain books. Is Abnett Mitchell's equal?

They're both good writers, but very different. Don't go looking into Abnett's Ghosts or Inquisitor books expecting a whole lot of Mitchell's humor. Abnett's stuff is a whole lot darker (like most of the 40k stuff).
Shortstraw
By Julian May

Saga of the Pliocene Exiles
- The Many Colored Land
- The Golden Torc
- The Nonborn King
- The Adversary

Intervention

The Galactic Milieu Trilogy
- Jack the Bodiless
- Diamond Mask
- Magnificat

Some of the best books I have ever read.
pbangarth
I've read May's Pliocene series. Good stuff. Thanks for pointing out the other series.
Shortstraw
Best part is it's a circle so you can start with either The Many Colored Land, Intervention or Jack the Bodiless.
hermit
Also of Note in warhammer-related fiction is Matt Farrer's Enforcer trilogy, which is about the only book that gives a near-street-level view of the Imperium. Well, as street level as an Arbitor General is.
Kliko
- the Cryptonomicon; Neal Stephenson
- Snowcrash; Neal Stephenson
- Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur; (historical Arthurian trilogy) from Bernard Cornwell
- Everything else from Bernard Cornwell (Saxon chronicles, Sharpe stories)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012