Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How often do you actually play?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Paul
So how often do you actually get to sit down and game, whether it's online or at the table?
Stahlseele
Depends. What game?
Only Shadowrun? O.o
nezumi
I used to play shadowrun online only (wee babes in the house and lots of work made things tough). Now I've dropped SR altogether, unfortunately.
klinktastic
Unfortunately, my RL group plays once a month.
Paul
The question is how often you game period, regardless of system.
CanRay
Almost every day, I pull out the Pinball game I got on the 360 at the very least.

I'm just starting to fight off my Fallout: New Vegas addiction.

I used to play a lot of Tropico 4, but am stuck on a damned hard map with stupid Canadian Telephone Hygienists.
X-Kalibur
I'm still confused here, is this relegated to solely to Table Top gaming or are we including vidjamagames as well?
Paul
RPG's-generally table top, but if you play PB3's or play by email. No video games.
CanRay
Oh, in that case, I haven't gamed in a year. frown.gif
ggodo
Played Shadowrun weekly or better for 4 months, now playing Star Wars Saga Edition. It's probably the best d20 system yet made.
Iduno
I was able to get 2 other people together to play Shadowrun through instant messenger twice. I was new to the system, and not really a good GM.

A few years earlier, I got to play in one or two pick up games online for a few sessions. Other than that, pretty much nothing since college, and even then was pretty minimal.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 10 2011, 12:30 PM) *

You too, huh?
Paul
Please as a courtesy no video game or off topic in this thread. I thank you in advance.
X-Kalibur
I generally play once a week. We hop between Mechwarrior, Star Wars (WEG D6), Shadowrun, D&D, Rogue Trader, Dark Heresy, and whatever else we get in the mood for. I'd like for us to hop into Eclipse Phase eventually as well, but it just feels like a quagmire to get all of it into my head.
Stahlseele
several times a year.
video games almost daily.
fallout new vegas will come out with all DLC's next year.
Wounded Ronin
I don't actually play anymore. I just post about it on the internet.
Adarael
I suspect that this is also true of many people, posting about many things. wink.gif

I used to play every week. But current schedules have made the Shadowrun game bi-weekly. I still run Exalted every week.

Edit: that reminds me, I should have a Shadowrun party on the 24th this year. christmas + awakening party!
Faraday
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 10 2011, 09:30 AM) *
Almost every day, I pull out the Pinball game I got on the 360 at the very least.

Just in time to pick up a Skyrim addiction.

On a good week, I play tabletops games 3 times a week. That's a night each of Lost souls, Shadowrun, and the 3.5 edition of That Game Which Causes Cancer. Generally, 1-2 of them get canceled for the week.
pbangarth
Twice a month live and daily on DS.
CanRay
I finally get to play this weekend. biggrin.gif
Crazy Ivan
In high school and the early years of college, I'd game 2-3 times a week easy. We primarily played D&D (mostly 3.5, occasionally earlier editions), then picked up Scion, now I dig shadowrun. Trouble is, being married and having a daughter makes things difficult as far as gamings (as did a social split from most of my gaming group, so I had to find another group). Now I'm lucky if I play once a week.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Paul @ Nov 10 2011, 10:04 AM) *
So how often do you actually get to sit down and game, whether it's online or at the table?

How about sitting on couches in the front room with dice and books instead of a table?

When we're on, usually on the weekend to every other weekend. When we're off, can be a few months between. Depends on what RL is doing, kids being sick, etc. Harder to get games going as an "adult" with the rest of life's responsibilities.

Luckily my wife is just as into game as I am. She's a big SR fan, and loves Earthdawn even more.

She loves the San Jose Sharks too. wink.gif
Jhaiisiin
I play once a week right now. Once my schedule settles a little, it'll bump back to twice a week with oWoD on one day and Star Wars/Shadowrun on the other. Though the Star Wars half only lasts as long as the GM can stay focused on one system.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 11 2011, 04:37 PM) *
I finally get to play this weekend. biggrin.gif

i'll believe that, when i see it ^^
Paul
Out 7000 members 27 respondents? Makes me wonder...Still it's interesting to see the results.
CanRay
Not everyone reads the General Gaming forum. And a lot of members haven't posted in... Ever.
Paul
It's just kind of sad.
Starmage21
QUOTE (Paul @ Nov 10 2011, 10:04 AM) *

I've geeked out on OpenRPG for several years now, because my town is too small for a FLGS or other gamer-central.

I play various games several times a week.

Exalted on Tuesdays during the day. Monday and Tuesday evening are Pathfinder, and friday through sunday evenings are more D&D.

I've seen various shadowrun games going on here and there, but have not joined them due to oddball house rules that I didnt want to deal with.
Paul
Bumped.
CanRay
I've been trying to get things going again, but things are falling apart again. frown.gif
Wounded Ronin
Haven't seen this thread for a while.

For the last few years, I feel like I've been so busy with work, building various physical skills, and focusing on developing face-to-face relationships that I haven't had time for an RPG nite.

That being said, I also feel like I don't want to close the door on it. I feel like the more life experience I have, the better GM I would be. Especially since in my work I deal with lots of people who have various problems in an urban sort of situation. I feel like it would allow me to populate a modern day or dystopian RPG setting with believable, well developed ordinary NPCs. And then, the more tactical training I take, the more time I spend hunting in the desert, the more medical first aid and survival skills I acquire, and the more I train with classical weaponry like spears and longswords, the better and better tactical scenarios and house rules I would be able to come up with.

Maybe in ten years or something I can turn around and run the best, most realistic RPG sessions ever. Now if only I could find a system that simultaneously didn't suck and which people also will want to use.
Yerameyahu
Why would you bump, Paul? For shame. Plus, 3278 duplicated the thread this morning. smile.gif
Paul
Yeah, he was looking for this thread actually. Which is why I bumped it. His question was more specific than mine own.
Backgammon
Haven't played in, oh, about 2 years now. Had a baby, that's why, and I work a lot, too. I think I might have time for a play-by-chat game, but now that I've been out of it for a while, I find the prospect daunting. Trying to get everyone's schedule to synch up, knowing the rules, the time required in running a campaign, etc. Seems tough to get back in. I've started writing again, maybe that's a first step that'll get me to want to play again too.
CanRay
Teach the baby to play. It's educational!
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jan 15 2012, 07:59 PM) *
Haven't played in, oh, about 2 years now. Had a baby, that's why, and I work a lot, too. I think I might have time for a play-by-chat game, but now that I've been out of it for a while, I find the prospect daunting. Trying to get everyone's schedule to synch up, knowing the rules, the time required in running a campaign, etc. Seems tough to get back in. I've started writing again, maybe that's a first step that'll get me to want to play again too.

I don't have a wife or kids, but I feel like I can really empathize with this.

The thing is that you need to find a group of people all willing to sit down and learn a system, and then meet regularly. Practically speaking no wonder there's lots of people who say they'd like to game, but don't really have opportunities.
Shortstraw
Isn't that the only point of having kids to give you someone to GM for?
Golgoth
I haven't been able to really play in several years. I was on New Seattle: Shadows Evolved (text based game) for quite some time, but I was more of a Reservist type player than anything due to my constantly busy work life. Now that I have moved on to a different aspect of my job, I thought I would have more free time to throw down on some gaming, but I haven't actually had much free time to even be online until recently.

Hell, when I moved out to where I am now, I thought for sure I'd be able to get in on some Shadowrunning at least once a month. There is even a decent sized group within an hour from where I live. Do I usually have the time to hit them up? Nope. Sadly, nope.
Fabe
For Table top at least once a week at the local comic shop,right now me and my friends have our blood bowl league going. For Computer/video games it a bit more random some times I might go a week or two with out playing any thing although right now I'm slowly getting into Evochron Mercenary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012