Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tisoz's World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
tisoz
Time to give something back to Shadowrun and let myself play all those illegal characters.smile.gif I'm going to start a game PBP. Hopefully, people will post several times per week.

The first few things I've got planned are basically heists and a bodyguard detail, so a normal team should be able to succeed. Priority, Sum to 10, Build Points - 125 BP, Becks - whatever Becks suggests. Show where you spend points to help speed charachter legalization/acceptance. Rating 6, anything availability 8 (yes that includes cultured bioware, even delta cyberware after adding the modifier - I think that only includes a datajack though. cyber.gif ) Spell points can be used for initiating or bonding foci. Companion characters are ok.

Something I'm going to try (inspired by 7th Sea), Hooks in background that come into play will be worth karma. So Your older brother was a Sioux Wildcat and taught you all your combat skills, your dad worked at Ares and got you all your gear and your mom was an initiate in a magical group and got you all those keen magic goodies doesn't count for anything. But if they all get kidnapped and you have to foot the rescue bill, then yes. Who in their right mind would kidnap that group?

Seattle, WA, 2060.
Digital Heroin
I'm in a gaming mood, and out of daily inspections, so I'm game. Just need to wrap my mind around who to play.
Panzergeist
Count me in. Time to try out my sword-swinging adept idea. Is aptitude:edged weapons kosher?
TinkerGnome
I've got a rigger who's lookin' to get played wink.gif He's even ultra-legal in terms of vehicles and drones. Where do you want characters sent?
BGMFH
Tinkergnome, I think I'll join you as your rigger buddy...
Beast of Revolutions
I'm making an adversary shaman that I would love to have in this game. I'll have him submitted today.
Yum Donuts
I got a cybered B&E guy I've been wanting to play. I'll get him to you in 36 hours.
Eyeless Blond
I've got my combat medic character from this thread that I've been itching to insert into a game. I've even got 100-pt buy stats for Joy, his assistant. Think he'll do?
Beast of Revolutions
That's cool. Combat medic, 2 riggers, an infiltrator, an adept, a shaman, and whatever Heroin plays. Sounds like we could use a decker and/or a sammy. What kind of vehicles are you riggers getting?
Digital Heroin
I'm going with my face/bodyguard/hitman type... basically a guy who relies on nothing but pure skill and force of willpower.
TinkerGnome
As much as I like Apoc (my rigger), I'd be happy to trade out for a decker. I'm somewhat sammied out right now, though.

Provided I play Apoc, he runs a Brumby (nothing special), loaded out GMC Bulldog, a Lynx, a Doberman, a Condor, a MCT roto, and an arachnid. He did have a Westwind, but I'm ditching that in favor of network encryption (if we really do have two riggers, this is essential).
Digital Heroin
Notably, the riggers won't always need to provide a ride for Snow, he's the type that believe in being self reliant, plus he rides in style. Porsche Winter baby.
Yum Donuts
availability 8 (yes that includes cultured bioware, even delta cyberware after adding the modifier - I think that only includes a datajack though. cyber.gif )

You do know that going Delta adds +9 to the availability, ergo nothing wouldn be under 8 if delta, and betaware's +5 rules out almost everything but chipjack's and tooth compartments (there are a few things worthwhile though).
I'm not complaining by any means, just thought I'd mention it.

Also, what's the rule on custom gear? I mean, most GMs don't like the idea of building a gun from scratch (frankly, neither do I), but would you have issues with putting custom grips on a gun?
tisoz
Characters can be personal mailed to me through dumpshock. Please state what method you used for chargen, and it would help to have numbers (costs) and totals just to doublecheck for errors. Like how I was thinking the beta modifier was the delta modifier.smile.gif

Custom gear: I don't have a lot of problems with it, one character submitted is dikote crazy and I only have an issue with 2 items, and they can be worked out. Custom grip is almost standard in every game I've been in.smile.gif

If you're adding things to vehicles, again, please itemize the costs (maybe note page #s.)

I'm going to be posting around 11pm local time wherever in the US I happen to be weekdays and when time allows weekends.

A house rule I picked up, contacts may be purchased (as well as earned through roleplay) during the game. Think of them as having a SI of 1/2/3 for contact/buddy/ffl. And they can be upgraded like gear.
Panzergeist
I used build points.
Beast of Revolutions
I used build points too.
tisoz
Yeah, I figured that out the long way. frown.gif

Beast of Revolutions, can you get me a background?

Panzergeist, I kind of understand how you could explain all the skills even with the limited amnesia BG you furnished, but I never heard back on the geas question. And I messaged you with the dikote issues.
Eyeless Blond
Question: how strict are you with encumberance? I just noticed that I'm about three kilos over my limit right now, which IMO is really stupid because all I'm carrying is a medkit, a submachine gun, two clips and my clothes, and I've got a Str of 5.
Panzergeist
Done.
tisoz
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Question: how strict are you with encumberance? I just noticed that I'm about three kilos over my limit right now, which IMO is really stupid because all I'm carrying is a medkit, a submachine gun, two clips and my clothes, and I've got a Str of 5.

Usually I don't notice encumbrance unless someone is becoming a pain.smile.gif Or if they have less than average strength, or half a dozen guns, or 3 or more layers of armor...

If you didn't point out your situation, I probably would never have suspected, or even looked in that direction.

Kind of like how noting totals for how you spent points during chargen makes it quicker to approve and maybe miss something questionable. smile.gif I mean, you either knew or had to look up how much an edge or item of gear cost or the racial modifier for your meta, but I may have to go look it up. (Dikote is not in CC.)
Eyeless Blond
Oh, that reminds me, that character is 123 point-buy as-is, so, um... add in Common Sense. Lord knows I don't have any myself. nyahnyah.gif
Bearclaw
Do you still need a decker? I can do a combat decker type. I've already played him a lot, but I can go back to the beginning with him.
Digital Heroin
Just have to look Snow over, revise a bit to fit the game. I'll note his history is one of my more twisted, and fun ones.
Sphynx
I assumed when I turned in my sheet that SURGE was not allowed since it wasn't mentioned. If Surge is allowed, I would like to be DualNatured. If not, character is complete as turned in.

Sphynx
tisoz
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 5 2004, 07:32 PM)
I've got my combat medic character from this thread that I've been itching to insert into a game. I've even got 100-pt buy stats for Joy, his assistant. Think he'll do?

Can you cut and paste the final version and PM it to me here at dumpshock? Maybe annotate costs if you have them?

Everyone, I have 7 characters submitted, tinkergnome, Yum Donuts, Sphynx, Panzergeist, Beast of Revolutions, Digital Heroin, And Eyeless Blond (kind of.) If anyone else is interested, let me know. This isn't necessarily 1st come 1st in, and some preference will be shown to those not involved in another game. I don't want to upset those of you in multiple games though, there is a role for everyone that wants to play. (One of the characters I got would fit perfectly as an NPC for one of the jobs I have in mind.

Anyone wanting to play an NPC is welcome to discuss the possibility with me. Maybe this will get interactive.

I'll give everyone until after Easter weekend before starting. The runs I have planned could stand alone, so even when we get started there may be an opportunity to join. Especially if people drop out. I'm hoping to get some hooks from backgrounds to help work this into a campaign.

And a reminder, 125 BP if using that method, Seattle, 2060 (SURGE hasn't occurred yet.)
Eyeless Blond
No problem. I've been working on some extra backstory for Pierce as well, and tweaking his abilities again just because I'm obsessive like that. Expect something from me hopefully tomorow.

For everyone reading this thread: in your opinion, would someone like this guy be driving around in a car or on a bike? I really don't have as much mastery of the setting and the rules as I'd like, so I'm going to be throwing myself on the general opinion once in a while; hopefully not about anything time-sensetive though.
Sphynx
You could be like me and drive a BMW Blitzen (Bike). wink.gif We could start our own Bike gang. nyahnyah.gif However, which is better? No idea, I like Bike for it being closer to flying (I'm a bit claustrophobic), and chose the one with the highest Auto since I don't have a Bike skill. I like the idea of getting on the bike, saying "Take me to FragginPlace" and the bike taking off while I get some shut eye. wink.gif

Sphynx
Eyeless Blond
Ah, that's another thing. How anal is tisoz about driving? biggrin.gif
Sphynx
That thread is about being chased or needing to make severe movements on the road. If I'm running, I have a backup plan which doesn't include my bike. wink.gif

Sphynx
TinkerGnome
There's a reason the rigger has a huge van with plenty of seating.
Beast of Revolutions
We gonna be ready to start soon?
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Beast of Revolutions)
We gonna be ready to start soon?

QUOTE (tisoz)
I'll give everyone until after Easter weekend before starting.

Apparently.
Eyeless Blond
Get my messages tisoz?
tisoz
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Get my messages tisoz?

Yes, 3 of them. Unfortunately, I am meeting a deadline and have not looked it over. I'll have more time over the weekend and you should be good to go first of the week.
Yum Donuts
woot
Chupacabras
Hey tisoz,

You're not still considering character submissions for this game are you? Because if you are...I'd like to throw mine in.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (tisoz @ Apr 8 2004, 04:22 AM)
Anyone wanting to play an NPC is welcome to discuss the possibility with me.  Maybe this will get interactive.

I'll give everyone until after Easter weekend before starting.  The runs I have planned could stand alone, so even when we get started there may be an opportunity to join.  Especially if people drop out.  I'm hoping to get some hooks from backgrounds to help work this into a campaign.

I'm thinking s/he is, but you probably should hurry.

(Edit:) There's also this game by Shadow who's still looking for a few good metas if you're looking for new games to join. Y'know, there really ought to ge a sticky topic listing new/open/closed games, or even better some kind of automated list with links to new games and status (beginning, open, closed, etc). I'll put this in the Suggestion Box.
Chupacabras
Oi!

Cool beans, thanks Blondie! I'll get right to making and sending off my character--Casper. She's a friendly ghost--a physad, but more of a sneakster than a fighter.
Eyeless Blond
Heh. Make her an albino, just 'cause it would fit in *so* well, even if you don't go with the actual albinism rules (which frankly suck unless you're really trying to squeeze for that last bit of Willpower).
Chupacabras
Ha! Nah, that'd be too much...she will be elfy though...just for laughs.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Y'know, there really ought to ge a sticky topic listing new/open/closed games, or even better some kind of automated list with links to new games and status (beginning, open, closed, etc).

I use a three thread system instead of a two thread system. Instead of just having the IC and OOC threads, I use a Recruitment thread. If you see a Recruitment thread bouncing around and active, I am (or someone else is) looking for players smile.gif
Sphynx
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 10 2004, 06:32 PM)
Y'know, there really ought to ge a sticky topic listing new/open/closed games, or even better some kind of automated list with links to new games and status (beginning, open, closed, etc).

I use a three thread system instead of a two thread system. Instead of just having the IC and OOC threads, I use a Recruitment thread. If you see a Recruitment thread bouncing around and active, I am (or someone else is) looking for players smile.gif

There's also http://dumpshock.proboards22.com/. Organized just like that, with each game being its own forum. It's still a 'brand new' site (been waiting on the primary game to start for about 4 weeks now, and I'm playing in the other game going on there), but it has incredible potential for gaming.

Sphynx
Digital Heroin
It's kind of tacky, advertising here to take potential play from this board...
tisoz
I started the IC thread, tisoz's World.

When posting to IC, turn off sigs and emoticons. Please start the post with who is acting, in bolds. Character thoughts in italics. Underline for emphasis. Locations in bold. I'm hoping doing these things will draw the eye and make it easier to recall things, as well as keeping things straight.

When we get to tests, remind me of any modifiers, special abilities, etc. that I should use for your character in this OOC thread. I'd like to use the OoC tag to help go to posts relevant to characters in play, as opposed to other posts, such as character subs, general questions, rules clarifications, etc..

Since it's beyond me why someone would feel the need to lie about an imaginary person, we're going to use the honor system for dice rolls, post results in the OOC thread.

Any further suggestions for running the game are welcome.

It looks like the quote box may be a good place to quickly include exposition that might otherwise disrupt or ruin the mood.
tisoz
If I have approved your character, feel free to post to the IC thread. The guy may just hire you. You may have to sell yourself or your skills/abilities if he doesn't think you are suited for his job. Then again you may not feel suited to this job offer and wish to wait for the next one.

If for some reason you don't get hired, you may take post an ad for your services, or call your fixer or Johnson (if you have one) and tell them what you are looking for. If this happens. I'll start another tisoz's World thread with a different description for that branch.
Yum Donuts
What time is this? what date? what's the weather like? what day of the week? anything recently in the news?
what kind of a place is Matchsticks? dark bar with several secluded booths? does it have a dance floor? to people come there just looking for work or is it more of an runner hangout? How good are the scanners (i.e. do I still have my gun, and if not, do I feel safe that no one else does? What area is it in (downtown, tacoma, renton...)? Do fistfights occur often here, and if so, what is the management's policy towards it? do the owners provide any sort of magical protection? are there rules about spell casting?

Ok, I think that's enough questions for now
Yum Donuts
Stealth check to be unobserved
03 05 07 05 11 11 11 = 11 high

Perception check to notice anything
02 01 04 05 01 = 5 high
tisoz
What time is this?

It's 8 pm.
what date?

Oddly enough it's April 13, 2060.
what's the weather like?

April showers bring May flowers... April in a temperate rain forest, I'd say it's a dreary, rainy night.
what day of the week?

Monday (if this wouldn't be the actual day for that date, change the date to the closest Monday. It's not important enough to me to figure it out. I can pretend.)
anything recently in the news?

Yes, but nothing relevant to this. Thanks for the opportunity to throw out some red herrings though.
what kind of a place is Matchsticks?

Located at 4th Ave & Denny Way, Matchsticks is a nightclub and bar near the Space Needle in Seattle Center. It styles itself on the jazz clubs of the 1920's and 30's. Live jazz takes the stage most nights, and secluded booths allow for private conversations. The place is popular with the cool and understated of the shadowrunner set. The club's backroom is available for a small fee.
How good are the scanners (i.e. do I still have my gun, and if not, do I feel safe that no one else does?

What's it's conceal? How safe do you usually feel w/o your gun? I think of Matchsticks along the lines of nobody would be stupid enough to pull a robbery in a cop bar. It's neutral territory where a runner can somewhat relax and unwind.
Do fistfights occur often here, and if so, what is the management's policy towards it?

Let the patrons punish the perp, take the compensation for damages out of the unconscious (if their lucky) instigators pockets.
do the owners provide any sort of magical protection?

Make an astral perception test. Oh, not astrally active? Ask the doorman or the manager. The doorman will tell you there are no wards on the public room.
are there rules about spell casting?

Roll Etiquette.
tisoz
Stealth check to be unobserved
03 05 07 05 11 11 11 = 11 high

The man doesn't notice you, and watch out for the waitress, she may not see you either.
Perception check to notice anything
02 01 04 05 01 = 5 high

You wonder how anyone without thermal vision can see much of anything.
Yum Donuts
Ok, I am making the following assumtions, please tell me if I'm wrong.

I'm assuming I've been here before, several times and for a long time. If this is one of the best places to get hired as a shadowrunner, then I have probably been here off and on when I needed work.
The first time I came in and was asked to check my weapon, I would have (while disarming) asked the doorman (and here's the ettiquette test)
"Ok, if I'm giving up my gun, what are the rules on wizzies and spells? If I'm going in unarmed, I want to know that the mages aren't going to be frying my brain or controling my thoughts while I'm in there."
Check: 01 11 05 01
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012