Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flawed characters vs Perfect skill/gear sets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Cheops
QUOTE (Daylen @ Nov 29 2011, 04:59 PM) *
I always thought it funny that SR fluff had globalized trolls keeping their initial scores and longevity, while the crunch wasn't always so supportive.

You are playing the wrong RPG if you want fluff that is actually supported by the rules...
Daylen
QUOTE (Cheops @ Nov 29 2011, 05:48 PM) *
You are playing the wrong RPG if you want fluff that is actually supported by the rules...

I'm still not sure what RPG that would be.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Daylen @ Nov 29 2011, 11:47 AM) *
I'm still not sure what RPG that would be.

Feng Shui, Of Course... smile.gif
Daylen
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 29 2011, 08:14 PM) *
Feng Shui, Of Course... smile.gif

Oh my. I didn't realize there was such a...

thing...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Daylen @ Nov 29 2011, 03:59 PM) *
Oh my. I didn't realize there was such a...

thing...

Indeed... One of the most over the top action games in existence. I have mods for Star Wars, Shadowrun, and Battletech. Simply Awesome. smile.gif
Daylen
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 30 2011, 12:00 AM) *
Indeed... One of the most over the top action games in existence. I have mods for Star Wars, Shadowrun, and Battletech. Simply Awesome. smile.gif

wait what?! for a bad tabletop rpg there are mods to make it like another bad (far less bad though) rpg? And shadwrun is not over the top enough as it is?! I need a whiskey.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daylen @ Nov 29 2011, 07:05 PM) *
wait what?! for a bad tabletop rpg there are mods to make it like another bad (far less bad though) rpg? And shadwrun is not over the top enough as it is?! I need a whiskey.
For "Over The Top", Shadowrun isn't even close, no matter how pink your 'hawk is.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 29 2011, 04:06 PM) *
For "Over The Top", Shadowrun isn't even close, no matter how pink your 'hawk is.

Indeed... And Feng Shui is not a Bad RPG Daylen, it is awesome taken to the next level...

I have found, however, that Feng Shui is Perfect for Star Wars.
Shadowrun and Battletech, it works well for, but the flavor changes a bit. Not bad if you have a Rainbow Mohawk, but they are not for everyone.
I still prefer SR4A and Mechwarrior 3rd Ed (IIRC).
stevebugge
For the stunt of roller skating down a staircase Bannister firing at two separate targets with Machine Pistols, Shadowrun penalizes the heck out of you, depending on how many times you'd previously used the stunt it would be worth a +1 to +3 bonus in Feng Shui. Totally different goals, Shadowrun makes a vague attempt a realism Feng Shui just goes for full bore awesome with just a touch of ridiculous.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Nov 29 2011, 04:36 PM) *
For the stunt of roller skating down a staircase Bannister firing at two separate targets with Machine Pistols, Shadowrun penalizes the heck out of you, depending on how many times you'd previously used the stunt it would be worth a +1 to +3 bonus in Feng Shui. Totally different goals, Shadowrun makes a vague attempt a realism Feng Shui just goes for full bore awesome with just a touch of ridiculous.

How very true... smile.gif

However, Combat Stunts are rated from -2 and increase the difficulty from there (Standard Stunt in Combat is to shoot 2 Mooks simultaneously, at -2).
Non-Combat Stunts are rated from Difficulty 5 and up.

The better you roll, the better the stun effect.
Cheops
And Feng Shui succeeds at making rules that back up what it is trying to tell you to do in the fluff. 7th Sea would be another example.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cheops @ Nov 30 2011, 09:20 AM) *
And Feng Shui succeeds at making rules that back up what it is trying to tell you to do in the fluff. 7th Sea would be another example.

Indeed... For both of them.
I would also include L5R (At least through 3rd Edition). Have not seen the new edition.
Daylen
QUOTE (Cheops @ Nov 30 2011, 04:20 PM) *

7th sea tries to be like that, but is only like that at moments when a player has drama dice and guesses correctly. The rest of the time it's fairly mundane and predictable.
CanRay
Airship Pirates has an "THAT'S AWESOME!" rule where, if you can make the group or GM go, "THAT'S AWESOME!" there's no penalties. (If I remember the rule right.).
Cheops
QUOTE (Daylen @ Nov 30 2011, 05:59 PM) *
7th sea tries to be like that, but is only like that at moments when a player has drama dice and guesses correctly. The rest of the time it's fairly mundane and predictable.

Do you mean that 7th Sea only has moments where it is like Feng Shui? I agree with that statement. I was referring to 7th Sea as being a system that supports the fluff and the intended setting -- not that it is like Feng Shui.
Daylen
QUOTE (Cheops @ Dec 1 2011, 03:46 PM) *
Do you mean that 7th Sea only has moments where it is like Feng Shui? I agree with that statement. I was referring to 7th Sea as being a system that supports the fluff and the intended setting -- not that it is like Feng Shui.

Really I meant supporting fluff, but I guess the former would be appropriate as well. I was criticizing the place a bet nature of the dice system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012