Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberpunk in the 20XX's
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Rip the Jackker
I'm a large fan of all things Shadowrun, and most things Cyberpunk.

I'd love to see a bunch of great PC games that I could get into, but, alas, I am a moron with no friends.

It would help me greatly if I could get some information on great Cyberpunk PC games. I already play Decker, which is a fantastic game if you've never played it.
The Home of Decker

Thanks for the future help!
Blade
Old DOS games:
- Dreamweb: Outstanding ambiance, good story. A nice little cyberpunk game.
- Bloodnet: Cyberpunk with a vampire. There might be nods to Shadowrun but I'm not 100% sure. It's a little hard to get into (the interface isn't very clear and there are some perspective issues in the way the things are drawn) and combat is often confusing, but if you can get into it it's quite good.
- Circuit's Edge: Based on Alec Effinger's Budayin trilogy. Cyberpunk in the middle east. Fun but a little bit repetitive.
- Rise of the Dragon: A great short cyberpunk adventure game with a dragon.
- Syndicate and Syndicate Wars: Squad-based real time tactics game. Lots of fun.
- Blade Runner: A great adventure game based on the movie.

More recent games:
- Deus Ex: A series of FPS with some RPG elements in a cyberpunk world. Good games, though many people didn't like the second one.
- The Longuest Journey: Half the action happens in a cyberpunk world. And actually the whole story could be turned into a Shadowrun adventure (with a heavy use of metaplanar situations) with very little work.
- And that's it? I guess there aren't many good recent cyberpunk games... Though I feel like I'm forgetting something.
phlapjack77
Uplink is a pretty darn good hacking game, seemingly along the same lines as Decker, but more advanced.

That same company was making a cool-looking heist game called Subversion, but it seems that's delayed / Duke Nukem'd for now frown.gif
hobgoblin
There is a new take on Syndicate coming in 2012. And Saints Row 3 has a bit of a Cyberpunk feel to it thanks to a gang called Deckers complete with a Tron style cyberspace hangout, upgrades accessed via "phone" that allows the main character to be virtually impervious to damage and such, and a government military org called STAG that packs energy weapons and VTOL vehicles.
nezumi
There were two Shadowrun games made for consoles in the US. The one for the Nintendo went a long way from canon, but is supposed to be excellent. The other was for Sega, stuck very closely to 2nd edition rules, and is also a lot of fun (even if it gets a mite repetitive now and again). Both are available for you to run on emulators, and are well worth the time. Unfortunately, NO OTHER SHADOWRUN GAMES HAVE BEEN MADE SINCE 2000. NONE.
Rip the Jackker
Thank you all. Uplink looks really good, downloading the demo.
Rip the Jackker
And Saints Row 3 has a bit of a Cyberpunk feel to it thanks to a gang called Deckers

My friend bought that game, and was playing it in front of me. I said, "Who are those guys with the swords?"

He goes, "Those are the deckers"

I might have overreacted slightly.
CanRay
Yes, and they also have female Gillettes with Wired Reflexes and SMGs, as well as combat hammers. They ride behind the vehicles the Deckers drive, holding on while their rollerblades keep up with the car. biggrin.gif

Honestly, Saints Row: The Third is Shadowrun in the early Sixth World!!! (And the protagonist is a Physical Adept.).
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Dec 8 2011, 03:31 AM) *
Uplink is a pretty darn good hacking game, seemingly along the same lines as Decker, but more advanced.

Seconding Uplink here. You're basically playing a solo Shadowrun game as a hacker. Typical jobs are hacking into mainframes and downloading, then deleting, paydata, decrypting said paydata, and sending it off for some cold hard cash in your account. The most fun in the game can be found in hacking into banks and transferring several million into your own accounts, then racing to delete all traces of your connection. (Most of my game overs come shortly after as they still manage to trace me. Bastards.)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 9 2011, 01:18 AM) *
Honestly, Saints Row: The Third is Shadowrun in the early Sixth World!!! (And the protagonist is a Physical Adept.).

Or spending good cash on delta.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Dec 9 2011, 04:56 AM) *
Seconding Uplink here. You're basically playing a solo Shadowrun game as a hacker. Typical jobs are hacking into mainframes and downloading, then deleting, paydata, decrypting said paydata, and sending it off for some cold hard cash in your account. The most fun in the game can be found in hacking into banks and transferring several million into your own accounts, then racing to delete all traces of your connection. (Most of my game overs come shortly after as they still manage to trace me. Bastards.)

The trick seems to be to erase the transfer log and server log at the bank your transferring from, something that can be done at near leisure once the transfer has completed.

Still, once you have hit that point in skill and gear the game soon runs out of road.
Blade
There was also a Mega-CD Shadowrun game which seems to be pretty good (the combat scenes follow the exact rules and you can even see the dice rolls, TN and condition monitors), but is only in Japanese. frown.gif

For Uplink, the trick is to use the tutorial node as the first node on your route. You can connect to it and destroy the log easily and it has something special (I don't remember exactly what) which makes it impossible for people to trace you once you've done this. Once you know this, it gets far too easy.
CanRay
Next we're going to find out about a super-awesome Current-Generation Shadowrun game that only came out in German...
Bigity
Don't even think that. It will happen.
Rip the Jackker
QUOTE (Bigity @ Dec 9 2011, 08:36 AM) *
Don't even think that. It will happen.

Too late.

Now we have to burn Germany down.

AGAIN.
Bigity
I think instead I would just learn German.
Rip the Jackker
No updates here in a LONG while. You know you guys want to share the sweet, sweet Cyberpunk games.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012