Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corporate Intrigue: PDF out now
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Dec 30 2011, 05:49 AM) *
Very true - Logic attributes would lilely not be very high, with Intiuition often being the higher 'brainstat'. Willpower, however...as far as gangers and 'henchmen' goes, it would likely be low; often wageslave-ish.

When you come to professional criminals that do what shadowrunners do, it's a bit different. Even the 'gruntwork' street sam would likely have to have a higher-than-average willpower to be respected. The world of professional and organized crime is very unforgiving, and if you constantly bend to the will of others you will become a grunt. A Street Sam would who hopes to be respected in the shadows doesn't just have to be good in combat, he has to be able to resist intimidation from both 'lesser' thugs and employers. A high Intimidation skill (or being a troll) can substitute for that, but the Veteran Street Sam doesn't, so...3 dice to resist Intimidation (6 with Edge) isn't very impressive for the 'tough guy'.

If you're a "Single runner" Then yes.

But what about the giant lunk of a tank who has, from the start, worked with his smaller smarter partner. "he's the brawn I'm the brain, we tried it the other way but he kept eating the Johnsons" sorta things. If you have your group or your partner for all that, you don't 'need' it. Old runners are smart runners. NO DOUBT..... but the Matrix is full of stories of runners that were good for a while.. but fell victim to the DUMB.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Dec 31 2011, 01:01 AM) *
If you're a "Single runner" Then yes.

But what about the giant lunk of a tank who has, from the start, worked with his smaller smarter partner. "he's the brawn I'm the brain, we tried it the other way but he kept eating the Johnsons" sorta things. If you have your group or your partner for all that, you don't 'need' it. Old runners are smart runners. NO DOUBT..... but the Matrix is full of stories of runners that were good for a while.. but fell victim to the DUMB.

Yup, you can ride on your friends, and in an intimidation situation the small guy can do the talking while playing off of the big guys suspected abilities. That kind of reduces Mr. Tank to something of a henchman-type, though - but less obviously so. Perfectly valid set-up, in many situations. Woe to that team when Mr. Tank crumbles under pressure though...
Sengir
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Dec 30 2011, 11:45 PM) *
Twenty years later, they're more common, but not terribly so. It's safe to say that the Big Ten all have access to one, even if Horizon and Quxing might have to hire the services from someone else (Like Evo) ... I'd personally say that there were under twenty worldwide, and a dozen is more likely the correct number. Delta Grade gear should be quite rare due to this.

As usual, , IMHO, YMMV, and all that.

Technically, delta grade only modifies the price (making someone with R3 Wires the true million dollar man) and not availability. BUt I would invite everybody to blatantly ignore that wink.gif
Nath
Yes, you can buy the implant at normal Availibility. But the medical care technically needed to get the surgery done itself has an Availability of 24, according to Augmentation, page 122.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 31 2011, 11:12 AM) *
Technically, delta grade only modifies the price (making someone with R3 Wires the true million dollar man) and not availability. BUt I would invite everybody to blatantly ignore that wink.gif

And once again, my brain's stuck in older editions. I seem to remember Alpha being +2 Availability, Beta +... 6? And Delta something like +10.

Hrm.
Patrick Goodman
Another example of 4th edition screwing things up early on and those of us working now catching shit for it.
CanRay
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jan 1 2012, 12:06 AM) *
Another example of 4th edition screwing things up early on and those of us working now catching shit for it.
So... Blame FanPro?
Tashiro
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 1 2012, 12:26 AM) *
So... Blame FanPro?

I'll blame Joe Quesada. He screws everything up.
*shakes fists and screams to the heavens* QUESADA!!!!!
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 31 2011, 11:26 PM) *
So... Blame FanPro?

That's long been one of my go-to positions. I will not, however, be going into this any further.
Sengir
QUOTE (Nath @ Dec 31 2011, 06:34 PM) *
Yes, you can buy the implant at normal Availibility. But the medical care technically needed to get the surgery done itself has an Availability of 24, according to Augmentation, page 122.

OK, but 24 is still really low for what deltaware is supposed to represent...
Neurosis
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Dec 29 2011, 05:54 AM) *
No maps whatsoever...which goes with the format I guess =/

There are short write-ups on the exotic locations (in some cases not much at all) but several of them are described in more detail in the various setting books.

Personally, I would've preferred one less chapter and less general NPCs in exchange for some maps and better location info.

If anyone is looking to actually run/GM any of my adventure seeds, I can provide (cruddy) maps for some of them. They're not amazing but they'll save you some work.

I have placeholder maps for at least a couple of them (some of them probably straight up jacked from other IPs/video games and then shittily edited by me because they were just meant to be placeholders) that were supposed to act as blueprints to get made into actual maps, by actual artists, but apparently that never happened. Not sure why, although my guess would be because of time/budgetary constraints. In any case, it makes me sad. I really like maps. But I guess they must just be very difficult to budget.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jan 7 2012, 12:46 AM) *
If anyone is looking to actually run/GM any of my adventure seeds, I can provide (cruddy) maps for some of them. They're not amazing but they'll save you some work.

I have placeholder maps for at least a couple of them (some of them probably straight up jacked from other IPs/video games and then shittily edited by me because they were just meant to be placeholders) that were supposed to act as blueprints to get made into actual maps, by actual artists, but apparently that never happened. Not sure why, although my guess would be because of time/budgetary constraints. In any case, it makes me sad. I really like maps. But I guess they must just be very difficult to budget.

Oh, I'll gm most of that book, so if you have any maps (however crappy) that would likely be helpful! No rush, though - we're two years from that plotline at the moment wink.gif
Neurosis
Isn't that always the way? I've got a backlog of Shadowrun stuff I've been wanting to GM for ages that's about a mile long.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jan 7 2012, 02:12 AM) *
Isn't that always the way? I've got a backlog of Shadowrun stuff I've been wanting to GM for ages that's about a mile long.

Heh...very true!

We just started up again after a two-year hiatus, and I decided to go back in time a bit, revisiting the Ghost Cartels campaign and then advancing from there. I *think* I have it all planned out well from that point until the climax of Artifacts in Washington, but uit's gonna take awhile to play through...

If it works, it'll be the longest, most cohesive SR campaign I've ever run
Grinder
Any ETA for the deadtree version?
fistandantilus4.0
I've finally started picking up some new books (Yay Tax Return!), and I'm looking at this one or Spy Games atm. Anyone taken a deeper look at this one, decided if it's worth what they spent or not?
snowRaven
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Feb 15 2012, 04:48 AM) *
I've finally started picking up some new books (Yay Tax Return!), and I'm looking at this one or Spy Games atm. Anyone taken a deeper look at this one, decided if it's worth what they spent or not?

Chronologically, the events in Spy Games takes place before Corporate Intrigue, but they are very different books. Which one you should get depends a lot on what it is you are looking for.

Spy Games is a setting book, more or less, focusing on Denver and what's going on there, with all the spying and political conflict between the nations. In addition it talks some about espionage in general and introduces some espionage-related gear, spells, metamagics and adept powers. It ends with about 25 adventure seeds - each about one paragraph in length and most of them specific to Denver.

Corporate Intrigue is a collection of more fleshed out adventures - 17 if I remember correctly - each several pages long, and taking place all over the globe. It talks briefly about what's going on with the major corps, doing about 3 corps per page, and it has a large collection of generic npc stats, as well as stats for the npcs that appear in the runs.
Critias
I'd suggest Spy Games...but, unabashedly, only because I worked on it, and not CI. wink.gif Honestly, it comes down to which one you're after. More individually fleshed out hooks/mini-adventures/NPCs, or specificity on Denver, espionage in The Sixth world, and a different type of crunch.
JTNLANGE
Never heard on the date for the deadtree version. Anyone?

Trevor
SincereAgape
Following the questions from Grinder and JTRANGE.

Any eta on the dead tree version?
Patrick Goodman
Per this blog entry, the street date for Corporate Intrigue is 07 March 2012.
SincereAgape
Picked up the dead tree version of this product today.

Was a little disappointed in this product. A lot of the statistics, NPCs, and overall material can be seen in Street Supplements and Artifacts Unbound. Deeper plots with statistics and corporate type NPCs except for Miles Lanier and Damien Knight. Such as who is in charge of Evo, Wuxing, Renraku, MCT, etc. Who are the big names in those corporations?

Jet Set was good and so was Artifacts Unbound.
eudemonist
The Corporate Guide sourcebook.
snowRaven
QUOTE (SincereAgape @ Mar 18 2012, 03:15 AM) *
Picked up the dead tree version of this product today.

Was a little disappointed in this product. A lot of the statistics, NPCs, and overall material can be seen in Street Supplements and Artifacts Unbound. Deeper plots with statistics and corporate type NPCs except for Miles Lanier and Damien Knight. Such as who is in charge of Evo, Wuxing, Renraku, MCT, etc. Who are the big names in those corporations?

Jet Set was good and so was Artifacts Unbound.

I'd say that some of the stats, NPCs, and overall material can be found in SL, SLS, and AU. There are nearly 80 statted NPCs in the book, named or generic, and I'd estimate that a quarter of those have appeared in other books. There's 6 pages of quick corp info, some of it new. 17 scenarios advance the metaplot and introduce some new plot threads, some of it connecting to AU. Add to that a new critter, a new playable shapeshifter race, and a space-station gun...

I'm not sure what type of book you were expecting, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012