Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are metavariants steeply overpriced?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
CanRay
Depends on how much one eats. wink.gif
toturi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 16 2012, 10:57 AM) *
Depends on how much one eats. wink.gif

And the price of food.

Using the lifestyle breakdown in RC, you can have all your lifestyle costs due to Necessities and using Lifestyle Qualities, you can have a larger part of Necessities due to food.
Glyph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 15 2012, 06:30 PM) *
As always, clearly abusive. smile.gif Food shouldn't be 50% of your lifestyle even if you stopped eating entirely.

Digestive expansion and ogre stomach are pretty much the same thing - I wouldn't let them stack.

You know, on a tangent, one thing that always bugged me, from a logic standpoint, was how certain mods can lower your lifestyle costs, but the sustenance power, which cuts your food needs by two thirds, has no affect whatsoever on lifestyle costs.
Yerameyahu
Yeah, the Digestive Expansion/Ogre Stomach issue always seemed funny to me, too. Oh well. smile.gif

Lifestyle remains a total mess.
bobbaganoosh
QUOTE (Glyph @ Feb 15 2012, 07:26 PM) *
Digestive expansion and ogre stomach are pretty much the same thing - I wouldn't let them stack.

You know, on a tangent, one thing that always bugged me, from a logic standpoint, was how certain mods can lower your lifestyle costs, but the sustenance power, which cuts your food needs by two thirds, has no affect whatsoever on lifestyle costs.

I think that has been addressed before. I think one houserule I read was that Sustenance gives a 5 or 10% discount, which is still probably less that what it should be. Likewise, the Digester Endosont (Augmentation, page 71) reduces food consumption by 50%.
And don't forget Photometabolism! That's another 10% off of Lifestyle costs. Sure, it's not as good as Ogre Stomach, but it's awesome.
unsound
Psh, lifestyle? Real power gamers play battle hardened street sammies decked out to the bones with millions of dollars worth of delta-grade implants, who squat in their mother's basement for 500 yen a month.

Also, be sure to outfit mom with a cranial explosive in case the megacorps attack, squatter lifestyle is no excuse for poor security.
Irion
In my book the Digester Endosont does not lower your livestyle costs.
It also reduces the amount of water lost in the body’s solid
waste by 75 percent. Hosts may reduce their normal food intake
by 50 percent and may double the time they can go without water
to approximately 48 hours.

Is it a mess? Yes, I guess so.
But still a nice play of numbers...
(Some of it due to the adding up of %-Values. Which is always kind of silly...

So I guess we made it down to 40% for lifestyle...
NiL_FisK_Urd
30% if you get a beak ^^
Udoshi
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 15 2012, 07:30 PM) *
As always, clearly abusive. smile.gif Food shouldn't be 50% of your lifestyle even if you stopped eating entirely.

QUOTE (Glyph @ Feb 15 2012, 08:26 PM) *

My table feels the same way about Free Spirits lifestyle discount rules - its nowhere near as good as stupid ware that reduces eating.
Midas
QUOTE (unsound @ Feb 16 2012, 06:56 AM) *
Psh, lifestyle? Real power gamers play battle hardened street sammies decked out to the bones with millions of dollars worth of delta-grade implants, who squat in their mother's basement for 500 yen a month.

Also, be sure to outfit mom with a cranial explosive in case the megacorps attack, squatter lifestyle is no excuse for poor security.

Indeed!
Midas
Back on topic, I am fine with what some see as the ridiculous costs for advanced metavariants. Some people on this thread might rationalize it as a "rarity tax", but they are missing the point. Players who want to play some of these metavariants should want to do so because they dig the concept; powergamers who want to use advanced metavariants to squeeze a few more dice to their monster DPs shouldn't just be hit with a nerf bat, they should be slain with a nerf sword.

Free spirits cost a lot? Hey, guess what, they never die. The run goes south and they just get booted back to their metaplane for 30 days, while their fellow PCs get to burn their character sheets and start again. They can *poof* dissappear into astral space just like that, and then rematerialize wherever the fuck they like. So what if the racial cost means they have to start at a lower force than they would like or suck eggs outside their forte outta CharGen, the idiots moaning about that don't get the point.

Unsound is right that Distinctive Style should be a major drawback for some of the more exotic metatypes trying to live in the shadows. Police harassment should be fairly commonplace for such characters. Let's face it, if some fomori gets in a shootout with the police, then KE will put out an APB for fomori trolls (even if the offender wasn't the PC). If there are only 20 or so in all of Seattle, KE will be more than happy to pull in every fomori troll they find and check out their alabi for the time of the offence ...
Irion
Police harassment should be fairly commonplace for such characters.

Well, somehow this is not really police harassment. If I am one out of twenty guys in town fitting a description...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Irion @ Feb 17 2012, 03:50 AM) *
Well, somehow this is not really police harassment. If I am one out of twenty guys in town fitting a description...

To you it'll appear like harassment. You're going to bitch and moan that "the game is on and I was going to watch it, but yes officer, I'll come down town with you, just like last week."

It is frustrating, but you have to put up with it, or get charged with resisting arrest, but you know you'll be home in a few hours.
Irion
@Draco18s
Considering you have just 20 Forami in the city, at least one is quite a serial offender.
(And the police is quite incompetent)
Stahlseele
police is quite incompetent

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Irion @ Feb 17 2012, 09:36 AM) *
@Draco18s
Considering you have just 20 Forami in the city, at least one is quite a serial offender.
(And the police is quite incompetent)

Or you just find yourself incarcerated on trumped up charges (or shot dead for "Resisting Arrest"); eventually all the Fomori will be incarcerated/dealt with. It is Shadowrun after all. smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (unsound @ Feb 16 2012, 02:56 AM) *
There's now rules for living in your car. wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 17 2012, 11:43 AM) *

BONUS... Can't wait to get it... smile.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 17 2012, 07:43 PM) *

...and my players will thank you for it!
CanRay
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 17 2012, 03:00 PM) *
BONUS... Can't wait to get it... smile.gif
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Feb 17 2012, 03:43 PM) *
...and my players will thank you for it!
Always glad to help. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012