Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Falling Down
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
mister__joshua
@ Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 8:35 AM; Her Apartment, Richmond, London]

You lie in your bed replaying the events of the night before. Another audition, and another knockback. Your feet are broken and sore and there is blood on the sheets. You've afforded yourself a lie-in.

An audition on Valentine's Day. That roots out the weak. Only the dedicated show, and there's no-one more dedicated. Lucas was pissed off and didn't come over last night. You'd hoped he'd be more understanding. The more you replay it the more it seems like simple dedication may never be enough. If you get one more rejection using the phrase 'elf-like grace' or 'we're looking for something magical' then it's going to make you scream. The casual bioware recommendation really hurt. Still, auditions grant a nice few days away from school. Natalia has left a message flashing in your inbox. It's been there since last night but you haven't summoned the will to answer it yet.

<<So, how'd it go hunny? I know you did great.>>

@ Dulmat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 7:35 AM; His Apartment, Evo Housing Zone, Downtown Seattle]

You awake to the sound of your Commlink alarm beeping incessantly. Your image link, flashing the time in front of your barely open eyes, tells you that it must have been beeping for at least 15 minutes and you're going to be late for work. It was a restless night again last night, and although you managed to eventually get to sleep it's always harder to get up in a morning.
A reminder pops up with a red exclamation mark next to it.

<<Full Department Meeting: 8:00AM Sharp>>

Shit
Aria
[February 15th, 2073, 8:39 AM; Her Apartment, Richmond, London]

Kyra swore quietly to herself, something she didn’t often feel the need to indulge in…she had worked so hard…she bit down the scream of frustration and settled for flinging her pillow at the manservant as it came in to assist her in her waking ritual. She winced as it ended up knocking over the vase of flowers on the glass dressing table and water and shards of glass settled into the deep pile carpet

“It’s fine, clear it up later…I have to get out of here…” the last muttered under her breath. She padded towards the en-suite, ignoring the pain in her feet and any additional damage she was wreaking on the carpet. Splashing water on to her face did little to help…it only accentuated the tears of frustration and the smudged make-up from yesterday.

She tapped a quick reply to into her 'link @Dame Minsk: I’m sorry I didn’t reply yesterday. Things didn’t go well…they liked my dancing and I Know I performed well, but I just can’t compete… she broke off, she didn’t want to sound like a whining child. It was hard enough being an American here in England without sounding like a petulant brat … but I just can’t compete sadly they had filled their spots. Perhaps after the end of year show and I have my results things will be better? There, better, marginally…

She mentally brushed off yesterday’s events and settled into her morning rituals…a luxurious shower, drying her hair and then, dressed in a silk robe worth more than the monthly wage of one of her father’s techies, a shot of coffee strong enough to make the eyes water. She took an apple back to her room and shouted at the drone cleaning up the mess she had made

“Out! Just get out!” perhaps she wasn’t as successful in burying her emotions as she would like…and damn Lucas, she needed him here!
Phatpug
[February 15th, 2073, 7:35AM; His Apartment, Evo Housing Zone, Downtown Seattle]

Dumlat cursed and threw the covers off while jumping out of bed. He could use a shower, but no time. He hurried to the bathroom and put on deodorant while gargling with mouthwash. He knew that if he could catch the 7:45 bus, and if the GridGuide was nice today, he could just make it to work at 8. He would still be late for the meeting but just by a few minutes. As he dressed he sent his agent to check if the bus was running on time.

His agent, he had it continually checking for reports similar to the disappearance of his brother Talmud in Redmond. It could only search public information so it was slow going. Sometimes Dumlat wished he was a hacker, he could have been if he stayed in Redmond with his brother, but he had accepted Evo's offer of school and a job. His brother has been missing for 5 years now. Last night it had found a report with enough similarities to his brother's that it warranted a closer look. It was getting close to 2AM before he realized the time and tried to force himself to sleep.

As he through his coat on against the chill on the way out he hoped his agent got back to him soon on the bus, if he missed it he would really be late. Most of his superiors knew about his brother and his search, but that wouldn't get him a pass if we was really late. A few min late would probably get him another round with the corp shrink but that wasn't to bad. At least she was cute. He sent of a quick message to his superior.

<<Running a few minutes late. Got a good lead last night and lost track of time.>>
mister__joshua
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 8:45 AM; Her Apartment, Richmond, London]

Your comm buzzes again just as you are starting to drift off to sleep.
<<Dame Minsk: Aww sweetie, sorry to hear that! The competition out there is getting tougher by the day. Sometimes I wonder if I'd manage to get work nowadays. If you want me to write a reference for you then I can, something to get a foot in the door. I know you said you wanted to do things yourself and I respect that but a little nudge can't hurt. Lemme know...>>

As you lie back starting at the ceiling a single dull buzz tells you your spam filter has caught a message that may require attention.

<<Spam>>
[ Spoiler ]

<<Spam>>
[ Spoiler ]

<<Spam>>
[ Spoiler ]

<<View your daily Job Listings?>>
mister__joshua
@Dulmat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 7:40AM; Shuttle Bus, Evo Housing Zone, Downtown Seattle]

<<Mr. Stricker: This meeting wasn't my idea. It's come from above me, and it sounds important. BE HERE!>>

The message causes your heart to race for a second, and you're glad of the extra adrenaline as you just manage to jump onto the shuttle in time, the air-close doors hissing shut behind you. You can see a couple of other people from your department on this one, looking a little nervous. This wasn't the first emergency meeting you've ever attended but they were rarely good and something about meetings just makes some people uneasy.
Phatpug
Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 8:02AM; Shuttle Bus, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

"Shit" slips out at the shuttle pulls up to the office building.
Being late to a standard department meeting is bad enough. Being late to a department meeting called by upper management can put a serious damper on a career.

I was already waiting at the shuttle door before we arrived, along with my other fellow tardy employees. As the doors hiss open I jump out and hurry to the security counter. Not running, I will draw enough attention to myself by being late, but hurrying. As I slide up to the counter my personal 'link is already off and out, ready to be traded for my work 'link. I press my thumb to a bioreader to sign for the work 'link and head to the elevator as its powering up.

As the steel doors of the elevator close and the sound of a soft saxaphone solo envelops me from the speakers I pray to whatever beings are listening that this isn't my last day of work.
mister__joshua
@Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 8:03AM; Elevator, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

You try to calm your breathing by counting the floors as you go up. "7, 8, 9...". The conference room is on 20. Not far now. "17, 18, 19...". The lift stops. Damn it! What a time to call a lift! The doors slide open and you think about bolting and running the rest of the way until you see Dr. Finch, upper management, waiting to get in. He must have called the meeting. Ah well, at least he's late too.
Phatpug
Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 8:04AM; 20th Floor, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

As Dr. Finch enters the elevator I try to remain as unnoticeable as possible. I don't know if I have succeeded, but he says nothing as we slide up to the 20th Floor. The doors open and we both step out into the corridor. I keep my head down, and walking at a steady pace head towards the conference room.
Aria
Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 8:49 AM; Her Apartment, Richmond, London][/b]

<<Dame Minsk: Aww sweetie, sorry to hear that! The competition out there is getting tougher by the day. Sometimes I wonder if I'd manage to get work nowadays. If you want me to write a reference for you then I can, something to get a foot in the door. I know you said you wanted to do things yourself and I respect that but a little nudge can't hurt. Lemme know...>>

Shit...suddenly all the anger was gone, washed away by something akin to grief...she had tried so hard to do this on her own...without leaning on her parents' name, without going down the route of getting foreign bits of muscle or tech welded onto her, it all seemed so bloody futile all of a sudden...

<<Spam>>Hello. If you've received this message then unfortunately you were unsuccessful in your recent audition with us. If you would like further feedback on this audition or would like us to inform you of further opportunities to perform within our company then simply reply YES to this message
<<View your daily Job Listings?>>

She dimly sent a 'yes' response back, not that it would do any good. She pulled a baggy, shapeless hoody out of her wardrobe, keyed her 'link to 'do not disturb' and headed towards some fresh air. Perhaps a spin in the car would lift her spirits...although given the weather displayed in the AR windows it didn't look like that was going to be the case...perhaps a walk in the park anyway, the drizzle certainly seemed to fit her mood...
mister__joshua
@Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 8:05AM; Conference Room, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

You look for a seat. The only one remaining is naturally right at the front next to Mr. Stricker who gives you knowing look as you sink into your chair. There's real tea and coffee on the large conference table you're seated around, but before you can grab any the lights go down and the presentation begins.

Dr. Finch isn't just middle-management, he knows what goes on beneath him and how his department is run inside and out. It's been said he has an eidetic memory, though he's never mentioned it himself. He's an intelligent man who has risen to his position through knowledge and skill, not through family on the board. He's always seemed pleasant enough to talk to, but you've heard he's really not someone to get on the wrong side of. Most importantly, as a Doctor of Cybernetics and Robotics, he knows his industry, and knows more than you.

He opens with a friendly smile and puts on a pair of AR gloves to manipulate the 3D presentation you're all now seeing.
"Welcome ladies and gentlemen. I'm sure you're all wondering why we called a full departmental meeting on such short notice so I'll get right to it. We're starting a new project. Some of you will have heard whispers of it floating around for a few weeks but it's been given the go-ahead from the top."

"We're going with the 'Project War Hero', though that has very little to do with what we're producing. We've been doing the preliminary research and we believe that there's a market out there for a new line of high-tensile ceramic half-cyberlimbs. We're looking initially at lower leg replacements with our target market being the victims of land mine tragedies and such. Research indicated that there are a large number of limb replacements taking place where only a lower limb is necessary. These people can't afford the Bio, and don't really want a cyber replacement, but don't have a lot of options. Our line will be both cheaper and integrate better with the body than any metal or polymer replacements out there. They're also purely functional so people like airport security don't need to bother everytime someone sporting one of these goes through."

The holographic image of a lower leg spins in the middle of the room over the table, Dr. Finch moving and orienting it with finger gestures until he's sure you've all seen it.

"Now, that's the speil that the marketing department will be working with, where do you come in? Well, I'm glad you asked! We've got word that our research wasn't as secretive as we'd have liked and there are rivals out there trying to beat us to the punch. WE ARE NOT GOING TO LET THAT HAPPEN." He stares around the room in a way that causes you not to want to let that happen.

"The higher ups are serious about this project. It's a good money-spinner with a humanitarian bent. As such the whole department will be working on this, starting today. All other projects are suspended indefinitely. Your individual assignments will be handed out by your line manager. Thank-you for listening."

With that the image disappears and the lights come up again. Some of your colleagues look visibly impressed, some disgruntled that their months of working on current projects have been put on hold.

With that Dr. Finch turns and leaves the room and Mr. Stricker stands up next to you. From your position near the front you overhear them exchange a few works as Finch leaves.

Stricker:"How big is this?"
Finch:"Oh, this is big. Right from the top. They're saying it could be our biggest release of the year."
Stricker:"It's short notice though. How are the other departments taking it?"
Finch:"I dunno yet. I'm off to deliver another 4 of these fucking meetings. Sometimes I wish I was back in R&D, down here with you guys"
Stricker:"Yeah right. You love it up there with your massive penthouse and over-inflated paycheck"
Finch:"Heh. You're right, I do"

With that, Finch gives him a thin smile and pats him on the shoulder before leaving. The room is left in silence for a moment while Stricker collects his thoughts. The whole thing has only lasted 10 minutes, but the implications will resonate for months. Stricker clears his throat before he announces "All assignments will be mailed to you directly after the upper departmental meeting at 8:30. Expect them by 9:00 at the latest. Go get some soycaff in you, it might be a long day."

You catch a breath after a rollercoaster few minutes. Your 'link ends it's automated 'Meeting' mode allowing the previous evening's messages to flow through to you. Amongst them a poignant <<Dulmat McAndrews: Therapist Appointment. 8:30>>

This IS going to be a good day....
mister__joshua
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 8:51 AM; Her Apartment, Richmond, London]

The park is perfectly manicured, almost false. The air smells clean and crisp, the rain cool and fresh. It hadn't always been this way. It used to feel the heat and smog of the city like the rest of outer London but the Richmond Clean Air Initiative soon sorted that out. At a massive expense to the borough council of course, but why should the rich and wealthy have to suffer with the rest of the populace?

A squirrel runs across your path. Red, like they used to be in the early 1900's. Everything about this place was perfect. Why would you ever want to go back to Seattle? This place didn't need AR overlays to make it palletable. It didn't even have ARO's in most areas. People looked at things through their natural eyes and saw the beauty around them. Why couldn't the dance producers look at things so simply. Why couldn't they appreciate simple natural beauty and grace? You break into a jog. It just feels right to do so. Puddles are starting to form on the path and rain water is splashing up your legs. There's a stand selling hot potatos on the corner just up ahead. It looks appealing. There's a diet and exercise regimé, then there are days like today....
Phatpug
Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 8:15AM; Conference Room, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

"Wow, this is going to be really big." I thought as I looked around the room. My eye catch's sight of the table holding the real tea and coffee, and the swarm of people around it. Not going to happen.

I wander over to the table with the soycaf and get a cup, black. As I sip my drink I mingle with my co-workers. A hi here, a nod there, the occasional discussion on the upcoming SeaDogs Season. None of these people could be called a friend, but I am on good terms with most.

As I finish my cup of caf, I call up my schedule on my work 'link.
<Dumlat McAndrews 8:23; Projects Pending:
None, all projects on hold until further notice. Update to the schedule should be out by 9am.>
<Therapist Appointment: 8:30>

Only 7 min until my appointment. Just enough time to get to Miss. Hendricks office a min. or two early.
mister__joshua
@Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 8:30AM; Councillor's Office, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

After sitting for a minute or two Miss Hendricks' door opens and her previous client leaves hastily, her eyes red and puffy. You think you recognise her, but can't just place her at the moment.

Miss Hendricks comes to the door. She is a beautiful woman with deep red hair and a welcoming smile. It's not common knowledge but you've known for a while that she's developed astral sight, and uses assensing in her sessions to help read the emotions of her patients. It's hard to keep something from her that she wants no know about.

"Mr. McAndrews. Take a seat and let's get started shall we? I know your next session isn't supposed to be for a few weeks but with this large project coming up, yes I know all about it, the management wanted me to check you over and make sure you are fully focused on the goal at hand and will manage to avoid any unnecessary distractions from your work. So, before we get started, is there anything you'd like to tell be about....."
Aria
Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 9:11 AM; Richmond Park, London]

Kyra ran with an abandon that she didn’t usually permit herself…wiping the grease from the potatoe on her top, ignoring the wet soaking her trainers and leggings and the drizzle misting in her hair. She ignored her ‘link, focusing instead on the movement of her legs as she stretched her jog out into a loping sprint. A surprised dog owner jumped out of her way and she laughed at the wildness of the dog’s barking.

Finally out of breath she stopped under an oak and leant against its broad rough skin, watching the unconcerned deer as the munched their way through the wintery foliage. Her well trained heart rapidly came back to a more sombre beat, and pushing straggles of hair out of her face she turned back towards the edge of the park and the lure of hot coffee.
Phatpug
Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 8:30AM; Councillor's Office, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

I settle into a chair and get comfortable.

"Actually Miss Hendricks I feel quite focused right now, excited to get to work on this new project. I admit I have been thinking about my brother more and more over the last month or two. Worried that I may have missed something in my searches. I have been sending my agent out with boarder search parameters, hoping for something."

I look at Miss Hendricks, slightly ashamed.

"I was a few minutes late to the meeting this morning. My agent found a similar case and I stayed up very late looking into the details, i overslept because of it. This new project has invigorated me though. I feel happy and eager. I think that this project is just what I needed to stay focused on work. I have been unable to help my brother, where ever he is, but with this new project I am helping thousands of people. That gives me some relief."
mister__joshua
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 9:15 AM; Richmond Park, London]

As you stand in the queue for a late morning coffee you hear a voice from behind you. "You gave ol' Jasper quite a spook there! Where are you running off to so fast anyway?" It's the dog owner from the park just moments earlier. He doesn't look pissed off, more amused. He's quite attractive really, though that could just be the rain and the emotions you're already going through playing tricks on you. "Here, let me get these" he says as you approach the front of the queue. He looks familiar, but you can't quite place him. You get the feeling he knows you too.

"2 coffee's, real, black, please". He hands it to you with a gentle smile. "So, what could a girl like you possibly have to run away from?"
mister__joshua
@Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 8:35AM; Councillor's Office, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

"Good, I'm glad to hear it. The focus of working on something new should help draw your attention away from your previous life. This new project is important to the company and they want to make sure that it goes as smoothly as possible...". She pauses, as if deciding whether she should say what she's about to, but then carries on with it regardless "...they've.... ..asked me to do a psyche evaluation on you Dulmat. They need to make sure that everyone involved is ready for the rigors of a project like this. It could mean a lot of late nights, a lot of overtime, and it requires a lot of focus. They say ultimately it'll be down to my report the level of responsibility you get on the project, or whether you're involved at all. How do you feel about that?"

She looks up from her note tablet, over her glasses. She's good at this. She'll read the emotional responses as you give the answer, and you're defenseless.
Aria
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 9:35 AM; Coffee Shop nr Richmond Park, London]

Kyra smiled at him with a quizzical look…it felt good after the release of energy…she should be on her way to class, Wednesdays were as busy as any other day, but today, hell, she could do with a light hearted conversation

“Life?” she quipped… “Thanks for this! I’ll stand you to a piece of cake, I feel like splurging today. Sorry about earlier, I was burning off some steam, hope I didn’t startle you, and Jasper, too badly…not exactly lady like behaviour I know!” She held out her hand “I’m Kyra…”
mister__joshua
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 9:40 AM; Coffee Shop nr Richmond Park, London]

"I know. I've noticed you already, though you seemed very distracted."

"Sorry, that sounds eerie doesn't it? Me saying I know you and you not knowing who I am? I should introduce myself. I'm Tom. I live in the apartment just across the hall from you. I moved in 3 weeks ago. I've said hello once or twice but I don't think you noticed."

"It's been nice to finally get to chat to you. Thanks for the cake, I appreciate it! Listen, we're having a house party tomorrow night if you'd like to drop by and say hello. You're more than welcome."

With that he nods at the impatient Jasper, who's been whining the whole time. "I'm going to have to get out of here before he starts trying to eat things. Hope to see you there!"
Aria
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 9:40 AM; Coffee Shop nr Richmond Park, London]

Kyra is a little non-plussed at all this, she hadn't noticed? Damn, she should pay more attention to her surroundings! Her self defence instructor would have a fit. That aside he seemed like a nice enough guy...

"Sure, why not? I won't be able to stay too long though, I've got an early class on Friday morning..."
Phatpug
Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 8:38AM; Councillor's Office, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

How do I feel? Annoyed, Distressed, Irritated, and Disappointed. I take a moment to collect my thoughts.

"I feel some......disappointment that this is necessary, but I also understand given my record with regards to Talmud's disappearance that the company would like some assurances of my focus. I would like to assure you that I will do whatever is needed to make sure this project succeeds."

mister__joshua
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 9:45 AM; Coffee Shop nr Richmond Park, London]

As you step out of the door the weather seems to brighten up a bit. The drizzle has ceased and the sun is trying to peek through the clouds. It feels good on your skin. You are lost for a moment taking it in.

Snap! Back to life you suddenly react when you hear a commotion down the street to your left. You turn to see a man running towards you. He looks dirty and like he would probably smell if he get's close enough. He's got a straggly beard, long thinning hair and crazy looking eyes that are both glazed over and staring straight at you at the same time. You can hear shouts from down the street behind him and, now that your senses are focused, you can hear distant sirens whirring and getting louder.

mister__joshua
@Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 8:45AM; Councillor's Office, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

She shoots you the briefest of smiles.

"That's good Dulmat, that's exactly the answer I was looking for...."
"Hmm... I think I'll end this session early today. It's not a scheduled session anyway and I think we've covered everything I need to for now. I believe your assignments are being posted at 9:00. Take a few minutes to yourself and I'll see you next week."

She gets up and moves back over to her desk where she starts updating your file. You can't see what she's putting from where you are. You just hope it's good.
mister__joshua
@David Cheveyo Saito
[February 15th, 2073, 9:12AM; Downtown Seattle]

David sat up on his bed and pulled on his tight fitting, company branded, pleated shorts that were part of the smarter image the company was trying to portray. He had a matching button-up collared shirt and, to top it all off, a cap. All in a wonderful navy blue.

The uniform may not be the most 'street' thing he'd ever worn but it came with the job, and at least he'd got one. He climbed onto his company bought and branded scooter, complete with carriage box on the back, and headed down to the PDS office.
Phatpug
Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 8:46AM; Councillor's Office, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

I stand up with a smile

"Thank you for your time Miss. Hendricks. Until our next appointment."

I head out of her office and bring up my AR display, checking messages and seeing if my work assignments have been posted. Not yet. I head to the elevator and take the short ride to my floor. As the door opens I start heading towards my station and being searching the mainframe for any documents availiable on the new cyberware project. I can at least know the broad goals of the project before i get my specific assignments.
Aria
@Kyra Benson

She looked about in alarm, seeking shelter from the oncoming lunatic. Ducking towards a doorway she hopes against hope that he will just pass her by...
Trigger
@David Cheveyo Saito
[February 15th, 2073, 9:25AM; Downtown Seattle]

The commute to work was easy enough, the company scooter was small enough to weave in and out of traffic, and he hated to think it, but the bright blue of his uniform kept most other drivers from accidentally merging into the same spot he was occupying on the road. It was definitely never this easy to get through Downtown traffic on his Katana 9, even though it wasn't much bigger than the scooter with its attached basket.

He arrived a few minutes early for work, enough time to drop his backpack in his locker in the break room and grab a quick french vanilla soycaf from the vending machine before clocking in.

He quick stepped down the hallway to Alex's office, rapping on the doorframe before sticking his head in the open door.

"So, whatcha got for me Boss?"
mister__joshua
@Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 9:00AM; His Desk, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

9:00 arrives, and you hear a cacophony of beeps and buzzes and alarms in the office around you as everyone checks for their assignments. Like clockwork, it arrives. Posted exactly on time. That's why you love Evo.

Pausing for breath you open the message, anxious of what will await.

<<Assignment No.0143722: Project War Hero>>
<<Mr. McAndrews. You have been assigned to team λ. Team λ will be responsible for the research and developement of the ankle joint.

<<The goal of this assignment is to produce a strong and flexible ball joint out of our new ceramic material that will serve as an ankle joint for the limb. This area of the project may require some field research, and suitable skeletons and existing alloy limbs can be obtained for study purposes.>>
<<Your team will be meeting in research Lab 4 under the supervision and instruction of Dr. Nakamora>>

Score! It takes a few seconds to sink in. This is an important area of the project, just what you wanted.
mister__joshua
@David Cheveyo Saito

Alex looks up over his morning paper. He's always liked the dead tree format, hailing back from his humble beginnings as a paper boy. Now he was in charge of a small branch of one of the most moderately-sized delivery companies in the Seattle Metro area! How things have changed....

Still, sarcasm aside, you could only dream of the wage that he's on. With a crimnal SIN nothing comes easy.

His balding head is enveloped by a halo of smoke from his fat cigar that he leaves hanging from his mouth as he tells you your assignment for the day.

"Ah, Ché. I was hoping you'd get here early. You're on home deliveries today. We've got you going over to Bellevue. I don't need to tell you what it's like over there so tidy yourself up, brush your frackin' hair, and for spirit's sake cover that metal up!"

"...it'd help if you could do something about the teeth and ears too..."

This was a little racist maybe, but it was nothing personal. You know who the people of Bellevue expect to see walking their streets and they didn't look anything like you.

You wonder for a moment why they're sending you at all instead of one of the less distinct runners, before Alex chimes up again.

"You'll be carrying a high value item today mate, along with all your other stuff. High priority. Something to utilise your 'special talents'. It's up to you how you wanna play it. Drop it first if you like or just do it as part of your normal round. Go see Freedman in the post room, he's got your drop."
Trigger
@David Cheveyo Saito

"I will grab one of the delivery jackets from the closet before I head out then," he responded with a false smile, knowing he owed a lot to the man for getting him work, and not letting the remark about his tusks bite too deeply. He ducked out of the office before Alex could say more about his appearance and hurried back down the hallway he came up.

First stop was the Gear Closet, a small supply room with extra uniform pieces. It took a little bit of searching, but he finally found one of the lightly armored parkas that the company got a few years back. The same nauseating shade of blue as the rest of the uniform, but now with a safety yellow stripe running down each sleeve and over the spine. It was supposed to make him more visible, but he felt it made him vibrate weirdly in other people's vision. He grabbed a pair of the blue riding gloves as well for the Closet, to finish covering the rest of his metal. No need to disturb the nice folks in Bellevue....

After that was the Sorting Room, where things came in and were handled and sorted by Freedman, the manager in charge of just this room. It was his domain, and he didn't like anyone touching, moving, or commenting on anything in there. He stepped lightly, looking around for the keeper of the room.

"Oi, Freedman! It's Che, I'm here to grab my deliveries for the day!" he called out as he looked around, hoping not to provoke the man's anger.
mister__joshua
@Kyra Benson

As you dodge back into the doorway the man turns towards you. He seems to be looking at you, but his eyes are pallid and don't appear focused. Time appears to pass in slow motion as you anticipate what is about to happen. Suddenly you flinch as the man's chest convulses and he lurches forwards towards you and hits the floor spasming, two shining metal needles sparking in his back.

"Target Down!". You look down the street to see two members of the Richmond Defence Force in full armour. One of them has his weapon trained on the man at your feet. It's unusual to see armoured troopers in Richmond, especially in the day!

The troopers approach you. You can overhear their hushed conversation as they get nearer.
"Dave, we're gonna have to take her in for testing..."
"I know but try not to scare her, ok? It's not her fault. Wrong place wrong time. We're seeing more of these damn things every week. How did it get up here?

"Are you ok miss?"

What looks like an ambulance pulls up to your position and two people in labcoats jump out of the back and start scanning the prone body before bagging it up. They're wearing hazmat suits, and you get the feeling that scaring you isn't of their concern.
mister__joshua
@David Cheveyo Saito
[February 15th, 2073, 9:28AM; Downtown Seattle]

Freedman places your neon striped satchel down on the counter in front of you. "That's all yours. Enjoy" he says in a dry tone. As you pick up the smart-bag and link it to your comm you receive your automated update of delivery addresses. It's slightly heavier than usual, like someone decided that they'd ship rocks around the city. Still, it's nothing to an ork worth his stuff.

<<Hello Dave. Your satchel today weighs 22lbs and contains 14 items>>
<<Pre-delivery Pick-up: East 33rd, Downtown. Pick-up ID:4271, Password: Chee$e. Biometric Data Required>>
<<First Drop Bellevue: 212 Evergreen Crescent>>
<<Have a pleasant day!>>
Phatpug
Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 9:03AM; His Desk, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

I grab my lab coat and throw it on, checking the deep pockets to make sure my small tool kits are there and ready for work. I power down my desk terminal, knowing most of the work for this project will be done in the lab.

I walk down the hallway towards Lab 4. On the way I pull up data files on the ankle joint and surrounding anatomy to brush up on termanology and biomechanics. I also pull up what I can from the public database on Dr. Nakamora. I haven't work with him before but heard he is a strict project lead who always meets a deadline.

As i approach the doors to Lab 4, i slow my pace slightly. Taking a few seconds to focus on the task at hand. With a deep breath i approach the door which hisses open as i cross the threshold of its sensors.

Aria
Kyra Benson

Kyra stumbled backwards away from the looming men in the white biosuits. She tried to calm her breathing but it was becoming increasingly difficult.

“I…I, please…”

Desperately she accessed her ‘link to try and get hold of her mother…not that she would ever admit it, she was the first person she thought of…she had to bite back a scream when the neutral answer tone came through…damn her! She needed her, no time for her daughter…her thoughts were becoming more and more scattered as the scary figures advanced on her…
mister__joshua
@Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 9:10AM; His Desk, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

As you enter the lab it feels like being back at university. There are several work benches, all with neatly laid out sets of equipment. Dr. Nakamora is standing at the front of the room staring intently at a blank space in the air a few inches in front of his face.

You receive a comm buzz. <<Dulmat McAndrews. Station 6. Subscribe comm to Lab 4 channel>>
Subscribing to the comm channel gives you a new perspective on things. Dr. Nakamora is looking at the current prototype, a holo of which is being projected into the centre of the room. On your desk there are several cyber feet for you to research. Their RFIDs give their brand and serial numbers. There's also a mock-up of a metahuman joint, at least you hope it's a mock-up.

When there is a full complement of people in the room, Dr. Nakamora brings his focus back into the room and addresses you.
"Good morning team. I'm Dr. Hidetoshi Nakamora, and I'm your team leader on this project. In front of you, you will see several cyberfeet from various manufacturers. In this research phase we would like you to study the samples, including the real foot on the end, and try to recreate them using the materials in the draw under your desk. I'll give you a few hours to get yourself settled in and we'll come back together for a team meeting at midday"

In the draw is the material that is to be used for the limbs. It's a mouldable clay-like substance, stiff and hard but still malleable. It's reddish in colour but the baked sample shows that it dries into a pale bone-like material. You can see why they developed it, it's fantastic stuff. It's hard but brittle, and even feels like bone!

There are a number of tools you've never used before, though you recognise them. They're modelling tools. A series of small sharp knives and points. This is going to be a challenge.
mister__joshua
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 9:46 AM; Coffee Shop nr Richmond Park, London]

The men in the biosuits ignore you completely as they set about methodically bagging the body. As they turn to leave one of the officers approaches them, while the other remains talking to you.

"Hello miss. I'm sorry if that caused you alarm. I'm Officer Tillman of the RDF" He tries to cover it up, but you notice that he instinctively offers you his hand before quickly withdrawing it and scratching his nose as if that's what he was going to do all along. "...ah. er. Yes. I hope that didn't alarm you. He's just a drunk vagrant. Nothing to worry yourself about. I can assure you that Richmond is still the pleasant and safe environment it has always been."

The other officer walks over from the van and says something to his partner before Tillman addresses you again.
"Miss... sorry, I didn't catch your name? Miss Benson. While there is nothing to worry about, as a precautionary measure we have to ask you to accompany my colleagues down to a local medical institute so we can check you out and make sure that you weren't hurt. It's regulation."
Aria
@Kyra Benson

"Er, ok I guess...can I call my friend and let them know I'm gonna be late...?" and she holds out her 'link for the officer to see. What the hell is happening here? This kind of thing only happens in the trids, not in Richmond...
mister__joshua
@Kyra Benson

Tillman addresses you with the polite smile fitting of any official in the Richmond area. "Certainly miss, call whoever you want, but I assure you this is only a precautionary measure and not anything to worry about."

With that he takes you gently my the arm and leads you towards the back of the ambulance. You can see the men in the biosuits are both in the back strapping the body bag down to a gurney. The bag is starting to jolt and flinch around and they struggle to keep it still long enough for the straps to be secured. Tillman indicates towards a seat at the back of the bus, where you'd imagine friends of the casualty would sit on their way to hospital... if this had been a regular ambulance at least.
Aria
@Kyra Benson

Kyra cringed away from the thrashing form...couldn't they at least have given her a ride in the poilce car? She pinged a message to her Dad and then as an after thought to Dame Minsk

<<I think I'm in some trouble! The police are taking me in to the hospital for some tests...somthing to do with contamination...>>

"Which hospital are we going to Officer?" She tried to keep the tremble out of her voice, she needed to appear calm at least, as if she trusted them an inch...

<<...I'll let you know where as soon as I know...>>
Phatpug
Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 11:00AM; Research Lab 4, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

In my AR display there are models of each ankle floating in my vision. Through out the morning I have examined each ankle, using AR for exploded componenet views. Currently I have an exploded view of the real ankle next to an exploded view of one of the cyber models. I determine which components of the cyber models replace the real ankle's components. I go through each cyber model, noting both differences and similarities between each other and the real foot.

Go back through my notes and come up with a few ideas for ways to replicate the components using the clay compound.

I bring up the AR diagrams for my idea an minimize all other displays. I grab a chunk of the clay and slowly begin to shape it. First using my hands to get a rough shape, then picking up the modeling tools to finish the part.

mister__joshua
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 9:47 AM; Coffee Shop nr Richmond Park, London]

You turn to address the officer, but he's already shut the doors behind you. The body bag is now firmly strapped down. While one of the men sedates the contents with a long syringe, the other sits down opposite you and removes his helmet. He's has a serious look, with deep lines firmly engrained across his forehead. He hands you a small paper dust mask. "Put this on please miss." You notice he's wearing one similar. When the man in the bag stops moving, the other bio-suited figure sits alongside you and removes his, or rather her, helmet. She also puts on one of the paper masks.

"Hi. Sorry you had to get caught up in all of this. To answer your question, we're not going to any of the Hospitals local to here. It's not exactly a drop in" she says with a laugh. It doesn't make you feel any more comfortable.

"Look, I'm sure everything is fine and there is nothing to worry about. It's just procedure. Once we get the all clear we'll have you out of here within the hour."

The windows in the back have been heavily tinted and it makes it hard for you to tell where you're going. You recognise a few landmarks, and think that you're heading North East towards the river, but you couldn't say where. You feel the vehicle descend, and outside darkens to near black. You're underground. After a couple more minutes you come to a stop and the driver opens the back doors up for you. You're in a well-lit underground car park, but not a public one. It's clean, and the concrete looks fresh and new. "Follow us please." instructs the woman as they wheel the trolley down out of the back and into a large service lift.

<<Automated Reply: You have reached Mr. Benson. Sorry, I am currently in a meeting. I will contact you at the earliest convenience>>

mister__joshua
@Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 12:00AM; Research Lab 4, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

No sooner have you started working than 12:00 rolls around and it's time to come together for a brief. It hardly seems 10 minutes since you picked up the compound and started working with it. It certainly is time consuming. You can't help but feel what this project really needs is a sculptor.

All morning Dr. Nakamora has been hovering around the room, looking at the objects on various desks and studying people's work. Now though he is stood at the front, and a polite cough draws the attention of the room. With a wave of his hand all of your AR displays are minimised and he's ready to address you.

"It's been an interesting morning. There are some good ideas in the works I can see, and I'm sure many more floating around in people's heads that haven't made it into form yet. Please may I remind everyone to document all of their reasoning as this allows me to check working methods and advise you accordingly. Firstly thought I'll open it up to you guys. Has anyone got anything they'd like to share with the group?" He looks around the room hopefully.
Trigger
@David Cheveyo Saito
[February 15th, 2073, 9:30AM; Downtown Seattle]

The smell of smog and morning traffic is strong when David gets out of the building, turning off the alarm system on the scooter in the parking lot as he approaches. He adjusts the satchel over his shoulder as he gets settled onto the seat, readjusting to make sure the weight doesn't mess with his handling of the bike. He could just imagine already, the oddly heavy bag pulling him too much as he takes a sharp corner and him going down in the middle of Downtown traffic. The thought makes him shudder, but he quickly dismisses it, reaffirming himself that he is a much better driver than that. That doesn't stop him from making sure the satchel is properly positioned on his back again before keying the ignition sequence and sliding out of the parking lot.

He cues up the GPS directions to his first drop on his AR HUD, and the system sputtered for a moment, trying to decide whether the I-90 through Council Island or the 520 Floating Bridge were the better route. Either way, he knew he needed to start East and hopefully the GPS would make up its mind soon.
mister__joshua
@David Cheveyo Saito
[February 15th, 2073, 9:35AM; Downtown Seattle]

The air is heavy, and you can already start to feel yourself starting to sweat from the heat of the traffic. The GridGuide locks in and highlights the Council Island route. It's less travelled because of the jurisdiction and citizenship issues, but to permitted and registered travellers like yourself it's a pleasant and really quite quiet ride, well, at least for this city. As you're approaching the entrance to the bridge your music cuts out suddenly and is replaced by Al barking at you.
"Oi Ché, you worthless drekpile! Control has you flagged as heading east without having made your pickup! Check your ghostdamned messages in a morning or I'll have you outta here quicker than your momma puts out!" A static fizzle signifies the message has ended, and your music cuts back in. You just have time to slew quickly onto the sliproad before entering the bridge.

Now you're behind schedule.
Phatpug
Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 12:02AM; Research Lab 4, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

As Dr. Nakamora looks around the room i have a brief internal debate about putting my ideas out there. I quickly resolve to give them voice. This is a ThinkTank, where ideas would morph into the final goal, ever changing along the way by peoples ideas.

I stand up.

"Dr. Nakamora. As I understand it the goal of this project is to create a cybernetic replacement out of this new ceramic material. While I was examining it this morning I couldn't help but notice that the material remarkably resembles bone when processed. It seems to me you could use the material to create an inexpensive bio replacement limb, using the ceramic as the bones, synthetic or biomuscle replacements for muscles and ligatures, and synthetic skin. This would give people who want a more natural replacement but can't afford a vat grown replacement. It would of course lack any upgrade capabilites but would have the advantages of a genetic vat job without the expense and time."
Aria
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 10:05 AM; Clinic, somewhere, London]

Kyra resigns herself to being lead about by the nose...it seems she has very little choice anyway, cooperating seems the best course of action at the moment and she can always reserve the screaming spoilt brat routine for later if things seem to be getting out of hand.

The lift smells, clinical...overused disinfectant not masked by the fake scent being pumped in...lovely, what next...?
mister__joshua
Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 12:05PM; Research Lab 4, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

"Very good Mr McAndrews. This is something that we'll be considering. The costs of the bio-muscle are currently greater than the scope of this project. The numbers people have told me it won't work, but it's definitely the direction we want to be going in." This makes you feel quite good, like a kid in school who just got praised by his teacher in front of his new classmates. Some of them probably hate you now, but you still struggle to fight off a childish grin.

"As Mr McAndrews said, we'll be looking for alternative movement methods with this limb. Bio-muscle is out, but we're looking for alternatives to create real muscle-like replacements rather than having a servo and motor driven limb. I'm having some stretch-polymers and some treated rubbers sent down from the R&D people which may give us some more to work with."

"Anyway, I'm rambling unnecessarily and you guys have had a tough morning. We're already running over. Lets break for lunch and I'll see you all back here at 1:00"

mister__joshua
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 10:15 AM; Clinic, somewhere, London]

10 nervous minutes have gone by and you've been left sitting on a plastic chair in a small room. Outside is a busy corridor. A laminated poster on the wall advises you to wear your paper mask at all times while inside the clinic. A woman enters in a long lab coat. She's wearing a mask, but otherwise doesn't look like she's about to enter a fallout zone. This is slightly more reassuring.

"Miss Benson, sorry to have kept you waiting. If you'd like to come with me we're just going to run through a few routine tests. You must have had quite a scare. Have you been told anything about what's happened? She looks at you quizzically, awaiting a response. She leaves the room and heads down the corridor, holding the doors open for you as she goes.

<<Bzz:Call Incoming>> Your 'link buzzes. It's Lucas. He's trying to start a live chat.
Aria
@Kyra Benson
[February 15th, 2073, 10:15 AM; Clinic, somewhere, London]

Still annoyed by his posturing, and not helped by the nervous waiting, Kyra sends back a perfunctory text

<<I'm busy. Not going to be in class today. Talk to you later!>>

She then set about composing a more measured one to Dame Minsk

<<I'm sorry if I worried you earlier. They've taken me in for some tests but everything seems to be ok. I don't think I'll make it in to class but I'll let you know what's happening as soon as I can. K x >>
Phatpug
Dumlat McAndrews
[February 15th, 2073, 12:50PM; Cafeteria #3, Evo Corporate Office, Downtown Seattle]

After the meeting I headed to lunch in the closest cafeteria. While I ate I continued to examine the structure files of the real foot that I had modeled. The more I looked the more I thought that my idea had merit, even if we wouldn't be using biorepacement for the tissue there were other alternitives.

I decided that after lunch I was going to model and bake a replica ankle joint. I would use this joint to test joint friction using different lubrication as well as anchoring of various cybertissue that would be used for locomotion. As i cleaned up my lunch i download a knowsoft on clay modeling. It wouldn't give the ability to sculpt like an activesoft, but should provide some direction to make my model joint look more like an actual joint that a child's school project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012