Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mission: 04-07: Burn
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
CanRay
Anyone catch the really bad joke I threw into it?
almost normal
As a runner, I did not.
snowRaven
I've only skimmed it so far - I'm waaaay off from running it (have at least 50-60 runs before I'm at that point).

Now you've got me curious though, so I'll go read it as soon as I can smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 6 2012, 06:28 PM) *
Now you've got me curious though, so I'll go read it as soon as I can smile.gif
That was kind of the point.

And if it boosts sales for Missions, all the better. Might get me more gigs. wink.gif

Bull, don't spoil it for everyone, you already get to beat me with my own cane because of it. nyahnyah.gif
snowRaven
So far I've found a typo - does that count? grinbig.gif

I hope it isn't Scene 5 you're talking about...

...I found several things that made me go *groan* actually wink.gif
CanRay
Typos don't count. Scene Five is using a pun from a character that wasn't created by me, so no, that's not it either. Actually, that scene was partially inspired by Max Payne 2, when the "Cleaners" go after Mona Sax in the cell block. (It was also a few other odds and sods as well.).

I loved revisiting it in Max's messed up head in the video game, myself. biggrin.gif
snowRaven
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 7 2012, 12:11 AM) *
Typos don't count. Scene Five is using a pun from a character that wasn't created by me, so no, that's not it either.

Yeah, hence the 'I hope' wink.gif
CanRay
What are the groans?
snowRaven
You canadians and your hockey; the bike team; some (possibly unintentional) ironic npc names...

Liked some of the pop culture references, though =)
CanRay
Ironic NPC names?

Closer, however...
snowRaven
Richard Furmann
Mark Sedgwick

...and the whole suggested lot in scene 9 grinbig.gif

oh, and Phil!
CanRay
Phil was intentional. The "Mr. [Colours]" thing was just a good way to have fake names without "Mr. Smith", "Mr. Jones", "Mr. Johnson". A bit more variety.

Probably the same reason it was used in Reservoir Dogs. BTW: Mr. Pink got away free because he doesn't tip. nyahnyah.gif
snowRaven
Ooooo - I think I found it.... grinbig.gif

Does he know? nyahnyah.gif
Angelone
I noticed a few things will have to reread to refresh my memory.

Edit - Woohoo 1K posts!

Edit 2- Right at the beginning?
[ Spoiler ]
CanRay
Much as I would love to include the ShadowSkool into things, so many people have added to it that I could not claim it as my own creation (Not to mention that the initial idea wasn't even mine), so I can't use it officially without a lot of paperwork going out to people. (It also prevents me from using a few characters I've used in my FanFic which, because I don't get money from it, is easier to deal with.).

Good idea, however. How did you get the idea I put in the ShadowSkool?
Angelone
The title of the first chapter was Old Skool Decking, plus with the school being in the underground "where all the criminal hang out you know" with the Bible verse thrown in there, I guess I just read waaaay too far into the whole thing.

I also keep coming back to Ziggy and his description, but I can't quite put my finger on what keeps sending me back there.
CanRay
No, the ShadowSkool was not the inspiration. I just wanted to bring *DARK* back to Shadowrun, and show the levels that people will stoop to in order to get what they want, and did so with a sledgehammer between the eyes, and another blow somewhere down lower.

I hope I succeeded.

That's far, far, far from the joke I put in. biggrin.gif
Angelone
I'm blonde this isn't fair!
CanRay
Didn't think it'd be this tricky. biggrin.gif

I'm lovin' it!
Angelone
The [LFG] bit?
CanRay
QUOTE (Angelone @ Mar 16 2012, 08:45 PM) *
The [LFG] bit?
No, but it's another reason Bull probably never wants me writing for him ever again. nyahnyah.gif
Shortstraw
Dammit CanRay are you trying to get me to buy another one of your books to find this joke?
CanRay
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Mar 23 2012, 08:43 AM) *
Dammit CanRay are you trying to get me to buy another one of your books to find this joke?
Seeing as I only have two books. Maybe.
hermit
Hey. I gave you feedback on DevArt, but here goes some more.

To be honest, what I was saying about the final fight might well have been me screwing up. I wasn't on the up and up helath-wise when I ran that portion of the module, and I overlooked a good deal of possibilities.
CanRay
Was the joke that subtle?
Angelone
*Makes an over the head motion*
CanRay
Apparently it was!

Well, see if anyone can get it soonish before I spill the beans.
Angelone
One thing I just noticed was Bull's icon changed in the initial meet at the VU93 it started as his pin then changes to a red minotaur.

Edit- Lesbian Elf Riggers on Ninjas?

Edit2- The legwork for VU93?
Bull
This was something Can ray came up with. Bull's original icon as a runner was a red minotaur. He started using the Red Smiley icon (See my forum avatar smile.gif) when he started fixing, but after the events in 04-05, when he was blown up (and he's still recovering from his injuries), he switched back to his "runner icon" to make himself feel tougher. smile.gif

Bull
CanRay
QUOTE (Angelone @ Apr 7 2012, 12:12 AM) *
Edit- Lesbian Elf Riggers on Ninjas?
Someone finally got it! biggrin.gif
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 7 2012, 02:45 AM) *
This was something Can ray came up with. Bull's original icon as a runner was a red minotaur. He started using the Red Smiley icon (See my forum avatar smile.gif) when he started fixing, but after the events in 04-05, when he was blown up (and he's still recovering from his injuries), he switched back to his "runner icon" to make himself feel tougher. smile.gif

Bull
*Shrugs* We worked together on it, Bull. Credit where it's due. smile.gif
Angelone
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 7 2012, 01:45 AM) *

Bull

I've associated the Red Smiley with him so long it didn't occur to me he might have had others. I'm curious as to why switch right before seeing the PCs.

@Canray Yeah way too subtle, if I hadn't used the lesbian elf stripper ninja in another thread it wouldn't have occurred to me. I actually just threw it out in hopes of getting a hint.
CanRay
QUOTE (Angelone @ Apr 7 2012, 02:56 PM) *
I've associated the Red Smiley with him so long it didn't occur to me he might have had others. I'm curious as to why switch right before seeing the PCs.
The switch happened as soon as he came out of the hospital. Bull (The character) is feeling really weak and needs as many psychological aids he can get to keep in the game at this time. Thus, the Avatar Switch. Some people switch avatars like others change suits, so it's not as strange as it might seem.
QUOTE (Angelone @ Apr 7 2012, 02:56 PM) *
@Canray Yeah way too subtle, if I hadn't used the lesbian elf stripper ninja in another thread it wouldn't have occurred to me. I actually just threw it out in hopes of getting a hint.
Kunoichi means "Female Ninja" (Or some such). I figured that the female elves being married together would be hint enough to look up the name of the strange motorcycle I introduced into the game. Especially considering, well, it's me! I really got exceptionally intellectual on Burn at times.
Angelone
I got the Kunoichi thing, I just blew it off thinking you wanted to add flavor by not using a standard bike.
CanRay
QUOTE (Angelone @ Apr 7 2012, 03:45 PM) *
I got the Kunoichi thing, I just blew it off thinking you wanted to add flavor by not using a standard bike.
That too. Gives another name for a similar make/model. smile.gif

I try to combine things whenever.
CanRay
I'm amazed and overjoyed that no one is pelting me for putting that joke into the Mission. biggrin.gif

Then again, I didn't make a video game in 2007. nyahnyah.gif

Hopefully people enjoyed the Mission!
hermit
Actually, I wondered about that name. And I kinda like the joke.
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 9 2012, 07:29 PM) *
Actually, I wondered about that name. And I kinda like the joke.
rollin.gif

Thanks!
Angelone
I enjoyed the mission, and forgetting how my players get sometimes I actually semi-devolped the elves as contacts. Which was promptly ended by some monowire strung across the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012