Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So I just finished Duke Nukem Forever [spoilers, not that there's much to spoil]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
So, I jsut finished Duke Nukem Forever. Took me only 9 hours.

Honestly it wasn't that bad. It was the most mindless fun I've had in a very long time. Many aspects of the game design were pretty retro, so it kind of took me back to some old good memories.

I think people who say they were offended by the game's sexism are taking it too seriously. I heard so much leading up to the game about how OFFENSIVE and HORRIBLE it was, only to find when I played the game that it was simply adolescent and silly. I was bracing myself only to find out upon completing the game that there was no need. All the hype reminds me of the hype concerning Night Trap. I guess some gamers finally grew up and became professionally sensitive video game PC police just like Joe Lieberman was back in the day. Do they not see the irony of what they're doing?

I mean, c'mon, the whole game was a joke from the get go. The extreme delayed release was a joke. The publicity was a joke. You play an 80s action hero who gets shurnk and has to operate radio controlled buggies to get through a level, for gods sake.

If anything the original 3D Duke was more offensive because the game let you shoot strippers. I don't think that DNF lets you do that.

Why even choose to be offended by tongue in cheek sexism and not be offended by portrayals of wounded and dismembered soldiers, or not to be offended when Duke urinates on his slain enemies? No one even mentioned that other stuff in any reviews.

What the game brought to the table was smooth, enjoyable first person shooter gameplay with a bit of the trademark Duke humor. They probably should have been able to release it years ago, and the game is hardly the second coming in spite of the long dev time, but I have to admit it entertained me and made me feel happy for a while.
CanRay
I tried it, it felt too dated. That was my complaint. Offensive and Horrible isn't what I would have called it. Just felt like, "The 90's called, they want their FPS back."
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 14 2012, 02:01 PM) *
I tried it, it felt too dated. That was my complaint. Offensive and Horrible isn't what I would have called it. Just felt like, "The 90's called, they want their FPS back."

I guess that when I'm not in the mood for simulationism, I must prefer the style of the 90s.
fistandantilus4.0
I love your posts WR. Only you can post something starting with "It wasn't THAT bad" and still get me to read it.
tete
Still better than the ninja one that came out a bit after duke 3d... that was terrible... never forget the "you want to wash wang or you want to watch wang wash wang" uggggg
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (tete @ Apr 5 2012, 06:10 PM) *
Still better than the ninja one that came out a bit after duke 3d... that was terrible... never forget the "you want to wash wang or you want to watch wang wash wang" uggggg

Oh, I remember that. I liked it because it was one of the first games that let you use a katana. I also liked that you could choose to beat the crap out of someone using martial arts, or you could choose to use the katana.

EDIT: Gameplay: http://youtu.be/IJSkdlRqmU4

Ah, Lo Wang...the asian stereotype Duke.
pbangarth
Oh, wow. What memories!
hobgoblin
Heh, there was also Blood.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 7 2012, 07:54 AM) *
Heh, there was also Blood.

Blood 1 was excellent, although I had to cheat to get past one level because I couldn't figure out the way forward.

Blood 2 appeared to be broken to the point of being unwinnable without cheats.
Adarael
Fun fact: there is a giant Blood poster directly across from me right now. To my left, there is a giant Blood 2 poster.
Mirilion
QUOTE (tete @ Apr 5 2012, 11:10 PM) *

Shadow Warrior!!! That was amazing! the protagonist said that line when he met a girl bathing in the nude in some caves, and she would whip up an uzi and shoot him if he got too close. Those 2d sprites of a soaped-up naked girl shooting an uzi were hilarious.

Blood made me horribly nauseated. Probably had something to do with those graphics... too many 2D sprites spinning around while you move forward, head bobbing... I get a little bit sick just trying to remember it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012