Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WH40K - Dark Millenium Offline
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Stahlseele
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/29/warhamme...player-game-10/
On the one hand, i would have loved an MMO in a Universe i like . .
On the other hand . . i fucking hate MMO in general and would rather have only games with single player campaign and multiplayer capabilities like co-op mode or versus battles in them . .
KarmaInferno
Eh, just as well.

If it had become successful, Games Workshop would have just set up a rival MMO in the same neighborhood, stolen all their customers, and then cancelled THQ's license because of poor sales.

-k
Stahlseele
Sad but probably true . .
Adarael
THQ has been very sick for quite a while... But they're finally getting around to recognizing it. It's too bad, especially since they're laying off a bunch of people, have let them know they're being let go, but also told them, "You still hafta work for the next two months!"
Critias
It's a shame about the circumstances, but I don't mind about the game itself. I'm a much bigger fan of single-player video games than I am MMOs. Video gaming is what I do when I can't schedule to meet up and hang out with my friends.
Adarael
Same here. On one hand, I'm glad, don't get me wrong: this VASTLY increases the changes I will play the game.

On the other hand, I like Relic and I want them to get what they want from their games.
Bigity
Eh Warhammer/40k is just not really a conducive setting for a MMO. However, I haven't liked any of the previous Warhammer/40k games either, with the possible exception of Chaos Gate.

I would murder lots of people for a RPG based on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay though. That game would be really set for some strong gains with the D&D edition roulette, but for some reason they went with a weird new card game/custom dice format thing.
Stahlseele
Why people are allways so gung-ho-gang for FANTASY Settings i will NEVER understand . .
Bigity
Prolly the same reason those concepts exist in our favorite RPG smile.gif Because a troll swinging a halberd around is just cool, and a mage summoning a spirit.

However, shooting someone in the face with a burst from a machine pistol is pretty cool too.

I'm all for scifi RPGs, they just typically don't last as long as their fantasy counterparts. Shadowrun is a definite exception there, and I hope Eclipse Phase is as well.
Chainsaw Samurai
QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 1 2012, 08:35 AM) *
... I hope Eclipse Phase is as well.

The fuck is that...

HOW AM I JUST HEARING ABOUT THIS NOW?
KarmaInferno
I will say that playing a game in a noisy convention setting is not at all conducive to being creeped out or otherwise immersed in dramatic roleplaying.

That said, I played a demo game for Eclipse Phase at a convention and was CREEPED THE HELL OUT by the experience.

[ Spoiler ]

-k
Chainsaw Samurai
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 20 2012, 09:02 PM) *
I will say that playing a game in a noisy convention setting is not at all conducive to being creeped out or otherwise immersed in dramatic roleplaying.

That said, I played a couple of demo games for Eclipse Phase at a convention and was CREEPED THE HELL OUT by the experience.

[ Spoiler ]

-k

Wow that is pretty intense. I play with some pretty stubborn Shadowrunners (I swear, the closer you get to Seattle the more dead-set everyone is on Shadowrun), but I'm going to give Eclipse Phase a look and see about giving it a go.

Back on Topic: It is probably a good thing that THQ cannot keep on with the Warhammer 40k MMO. I don't think they've got the oomph to stand up to that sort of time/money investment anyway. Probably would've ended up just like WAR, released in a half-assed state and then mostly dropped and neglected.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 21 2012, 02:02 PM) *
That said, I played a demo game for Eclipse Phase at a convention and was CREEPED THE HELL OUT by the experience.

Is that particular "adventure" for sale somewhere it sounds fun.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Apr 20 2012, 11:15 PM) *
Is that particular "adventure" for sale somewhere it sounds fun.

I think it was "Continuity". At least the description on their website matches my experience.

I would have played a second game but there was a couple of new players at the table (and they arrived late!) who seemed to think that braying loudly about random nonsense in bad Swedish accents, and not letting any other players get two words in edgewise, was the height of "roleplaying".

I excused myself as being too tired to continue five minutes after they arrived.

But I'm way off topic.

-k
Shortstraw
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 21 2012, 02:24 PM) *
I would have played a second game but there was a couple of new players at the table (and they arrived late!) who seemed to think that braying loudly about random nonsense in bad Swedish accents, and not letting any other players get two words in edgewise, was the height of "roleplaying".

Sounds like they played too much skyrim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012