Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Returns 2nd City?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Bull @ May 16 2012, 02:08 PM) *
Second round of voting starting. Berlin and Hong Kong are neck and neck.

Boo. Lame.

With Chicago, Denver, More Seattle, and even London out of the race now... Yeah, I kinda don't give a frag what wins frown.gif I voted Berlin for teh hell of it, but... Bleh.

Bull

Hey Bull... Why Boo, Lame?
I am glad that they will be working something other than Vanilla UCAS...

Here's to hoping that Hong Kong Wins it... Though Berlin would be interesting as well. smile.gif
DireRadiant
Ah, run offs.... smile.gif
Stahlseele
Well, it's ShadowRUN . . And if the run goes south, running off is what we do . .
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 16 2012, 05:13 PM) *
Well, it's ShadowRUN . . And if the run goes south, running off is what we do . .

*Groan*
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 16 2012, 11:14 PM) *

*bows* =^.^=
CanRay
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 16 2012, 03:24 PM) *
He wants to relive the days of his youth in Chicago before the bugs showed up.

'Course, why he doesn't just play one of the video games based on his life, I don't know. nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 16 2012, 05:39 PM) *
He wants to relive the days of his youth in Chicago before the bugs showed up.

'Course, why he doesn't just play one of the video games based on his life, I don't know. nyahnyah.gif

Heh... Okay, got it. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 16 2012, 04:24 PM) *
I am glad that they will be working something other than Vanilla UCAS...

Because it's lame. And also boo wink.gif

One of the many parts of the genius of Shadowrun was that it was local, that events existed in real, absolute space and time—the timestamps, the street addresses on real streets, it was a living, breathing world. People generally only have that kind of intimacy with a small number of locations, and although I haven't checked the team thoroughly enough to be sure, I very much doubt that Berlin and Hong Kong are represented in that way on the dev team.

~J
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 16 2012, 07:21 PM) *
Because it's lame. And also boo wink.gif

One of the many parts of the genius of Shadowrun was that it was local, that events existed in real, absolute space and time—the timestamps, the street addresses on real streets, it was a living, breathing world. People generally only have that kind of intimacy with a small number of locations, and although I haven't checked the team thoroughly enough to be sure, I very much doubt that Berlin and Hong Kong are represented in that way on the dev team.

~J

I disagree... The Genius of Shadowrun was that it was a Place where Man met Magic and Machine. I, for one, want to see more than just LOCAL settings. You do not have to be from somewhere to write about it, assuming you have done the research. Since we have a Canon City (Seattle) already set in the UCAS, I really want to see something from somewhere else in the world, and not from the North American Continent.

Hong Kong and Berlin are great choices, in my opinion, though I have never been to either city. I absolutely love the Hong Kong Setting currently represented in the Shadowrun World setting. And I really wish I was able to read German, so that I could enjoy the Berlin Setting, as published by the Company handling that material.
Vegetaman
I was pulling for Chicago so we could get some magic bug-city going on... But alas, Berlin seems like a decent option. Would probably create the most draw for the game, as well.
Draco18s
With Berlin assets, people will be able to do runs in a lot of older US cities, like Philadelphia (same with London assets), as the buildings have a similar feel

Hong Kong though adds a different style, and I really do think we need some Asian-style assets: Little Tokyo, China Town...all kinds of places you can do with that.
Infornography
Neo-Tokyo, Hong Kong or Rhein-Ruhr-Megaplex.
Method
I too am going to go with Berlin by default. I was hoping for Denver, but... ah well.

Hong Kong sounds all glamourous and sexy, but to be honest I think the fastest way for the boys at HBS to screw this up is to diverge from the awesomeness that was early SR by trying overly hard to reinvent the world.
Wounded Ronin
With the 2 choices I voted Berlin. That was moreso a part of early SR than Hong Kong. Besides, the Deus Ex Hong Kong ("...revel one rabs...") will always be my hilarious cyberpunk Hong Kong.
Demonseed Elite
Even though I wrote the Hong Kong setting in Runner Havens, I voted for "More Seattle" originally. For a 2050s-set game, I would rather see them focus intensely and deeply on the Seattle setting, which is the original home of Shadowrun. I would have liked to see more classic locations: the Aztechnology Pyramid, the Renraku Arcology, the Ork Underground, Council Island, etc.

Now that it's in a run-off between Berlin and Hong Kong, though, I had to vote for Hong Kong. No question. Part of me is various curious to see how they would do the Hong Kong setting in the 2050s, since there isn't much material on it.
Stahlseele
Polling is over.
BERLIN WON.
CanRay
Why do I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of the end of a football/soccer match, and am waiting for the riot to start?
Wounded Ronin
Upon reflection, Berlin was clearly the right choice. This is supposed to be retro Shadowrun, not "I wanna be Deus Ex" Shadowrun.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 22 2012, 08:29 AM) *
Polling is over.
BERLIN WON.

YEAH! ICH BIN EIN BERLINER!
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 22 2012, 04:04 PM) *
Why do I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of the end of a football/soccer match, and am waiting for the riot to start?

just 'cause:
http://www.aaanything.net/wp-content/galle..._and_canada.jpg

I hope they won't fuck it up though . .
Even if i don't like Berlin in RL all that much <.<
Summerstorm
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 22 2012, 02:29 PM) *
Polling is over.
BERLIN WON.

Curses, foiled again.

But seriously: Never saw the whole "Tie-Breaker" thingy... Never got the invite to the second round of voting. i smell conspiracy, not inviting the first wave of "Hong-Kong"-voters *g*
Draco18s
I voted Hong Kong, but I'm ok with Berlin too. smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 22 2012, 09:59 AM) *
Come to Vancouver, it's a Riot!
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 22 2012, 09:38 PM) *
Come to Vancouver, it's a Riot!

Badum Bum Tsh! ^^
Falconer
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ May 22 2012, 01:17 PM) *
Curses, foiled again.

But seriously: Never saw the whole "Tie-Breaker" thingy... Never got the invite to the second round of voting. i smell conspiracy, not inviting the first wave of "Hong-Kong"-voters *g*

I'm with you I smell a rat and a conspiracy as a sop to the German popularity of the game. So via some nefarious hacker we end up with Pythonian Camelot *bs... delete*... Berlin. (a very silly place).

Haha. In the end of it... I was simply hoping for some place free of tons of plot and history where things would be far more freeform to develop. Hence HK since not a lot of period stuff from there in the 2050's.

Oh well, the worst outcome would have been more seattle... at least that one was avoided.

Shinobi Killfist
Dang, for me this is the worst outcome, but it was down to my least 2 favorites so it is not like I would have been happy either way.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ May 22 2012, 05:08 PM) *
Dang, for me this is the worst outcome, but it was down to my least 2 favorites so it is not like I would have been happy either way.

I'm not jazzed about Berlin, but I don't want to say I'm disappointed.

I would like to point out that as Denver is 2/3rds under native American control. A European city is more "Just another UCAS city" than Denver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012