Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live-running IRC game is looking to recruit some new players.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
ShadowDragon8685
I'm currently GMing a Shadowrun game that has been going through some upheavals: some of the players' attendance is spottier than I'd like, and one player quit the game altogether. I would like to rectify this by recruiting up to two players who are interested in running the Shadows with my group.

The game takes place over IRC, with a dice-bot. We meet notionally at 10:30 AM, EST (GMT -5) on Sundays* to begin play, so practically speaking, the game usually starts by 11. We meet in #Shadowrun on irc.sorcery.net, and the game has a Wiki, which is at present short but will (after the first run and its teething problems have been resolved - which should happen next session) begin to be updated with logs of the game.

The group currently consists of:
1: Bom, short for "Bitter Old Man." An old-timer elf (so, you know, he still looks 20) who's lived through most of the Sixth World and done a little of this, a little of that, including riding with the Ancients for a while, until they parted ways amicably. Now he owns and operates the group's communal Lifestyle, a well-fortified old junkyard out in the barrens. He's an Awakened mage with a possession tradition that I really shouldn't have permitted but did because I was newer and stupider at the time.
2: Alex, a Human Hermetic Mage. He lives in the junkyard and has a Lodge in an old storage container in the yard. He's more of a spellcasty mage than a summoner, but he can summon fairly well..
3: Angelrat, a 20-pt Amnesiac elf who appears to be 13-14ish. She speaks English and Sperethiel with a British accent, has some Face talent, hacks reasonably well, loves to stun people insensate with her taser, and has a head which is crammed full of a metric ton of unsigned betaware as well as quite a lot of probable bioware.
4: Igamaki Kotaru, who can be best summed up as a Japanese Adam Jensen, a cybernetic ninja who used to be a corp man until something Bad happened and he was hung out to dry, drifting into the company of the group.

The game is set in Seattle, in early 2072, shortly after Brackhaven ousted Strouthers and Knight Errant took over from Lone Star.

The group shares a communal Lifestyle (though this is not a requirement; you can have your own Lifestyle if you prefer,) in a junkyard owned by Bom, where he raises critters, and are known for taking in hard-luck cases, such as the stray Angelrat who was dumped in the Barrens or Kotaru. Currently they have a bounty of vehicles and no-one who can drive them well or work on them well, though a hacker who's replacing a character whose player wanted a new character has a lot of drones and the skills to use them marginally well.

Most concepts are welcome, but I'd appreciate it if you could refrain from suggesting any more mages, and a technomancer only if you really, really like the idea (I'm a bit leery about them, if only because they're yet another system). The group could use some physical brawn, or a social character, and a driving Rigger or something wouldn't hurt.

If you'd like to ask questions, you can PM me on Dumpshock, IM me over AIM (ShadowDragon8685), Skype (ShadowDragon8685), or MSN Messanger (ShadowDragon8685@hotmail.com - which is NOT a checked email address!) with AIM preferred, or you may email me (ShadowDragon8685@gmail.com,) or simply sail up on the IRC channel (#Shadowrun on irc.sorcery.net) and inquire within.

If you'd like to pitch a character, or ask questions if none of the options above appeal to you, just post in the thread below. You don't need a full character sheet to pitch a character, but I won't object if you make one, either.

*Whoops, I forgot to put the day in. Forgive me, I'm derpin'.

I'd like to apologize to the mods if this is the wrong forum, it just... Seemed like the most appropriate one. If it is wrong, could you move it?
almost normal
I could probably make it. What day?
almost normal
I'd be happy taking up the slot of driver/mechanic as well.
almost normal
And fuck it, the elusive triple-post : I'll probably just see you at DexCon in a month, so I'll hit you up there if things havent taken off by then.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (almost normal @ Jun 5 2012, 05:37 PM) *
And fuck it, the elusive triple-post : I'll probably just see you at DexCon in a month, so I'll hit you up there if things havent taken off by then.

DexCon? I don't know what that is, and I'm not a con-goer.

The game is on Sundays, by the way.
RelentlessImp
Aw man. I'd so be in on this, but all I have are mages.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jun 5 2012, 07:14 PM) *
Aw man. I'd so be in on this, but all I have are mages.

Are mages the only characters in your heart? I don't require a full character sheet by this Sunday or anything.
ShadowDragon8685
I'd like to note something for people who want to ask me something via IRC.

Even if I'm watching IRC, I'm probably chatting in #Exalted, most likely talking about Shadowrun of Ponies, oddly enough, and not watching #Shadowrun intently. If I'm not watching IRC, my eyes may be focused on a Flash game, or even a regular game.

[07:08.59] * d-Ark (ISP Stuff Removed) has joined channel #Shadowrun
[07:09.16] <d-Ark> ShadowDragon, you awake by any chance?
[07:10.49] <d-Ark> I shall take that as a no.
[07:16.30] * d-Ark ISP Stuff Removed) Quit (Quit: HydraIRC -> http://www.hydrairc.com <-)

In fact, I was awake. At the very moment you asked if I was awake, my eyes were on another chat window, because I was discussing Exalted with those who frequent that channel.

If you want to talk to me over IRC, try sending a PM. They're more attention-getting than a line in a main channel. And please, don't log out after a grand total of less than eight minutes logged in; when I do see what you said, I won't be able to reply. If you require my attention immediately (for instance, if you're getting ready to go out and only have five minutes to talk,) please, use a messenger, as they beep and flash and get my attention immediately. Alternatively, you could check #Exalted to see if I'm chatting there, at which point you can simply PM me or post in there to get my attention.
RelentlessImp
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jun 6 2012, 12:37 AM) *
Are mages the only characters in your heart? I don't require a full character sheet by this Sunday or anything.

Unfortunately, yes. No matter the setting, if it has magic, I feel like I'm missing out if I'm not using it. It's a quirk of mine, I'm afraid. frown.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Jun 6 2012, 09:16 PM) *
Unfortunately, yes. No matter the setting, if it has magic, I feel like I'm missing out if I'm not using it. It's a quirk of mine, I'm afraid. frown.gif

That's the problem that gives rise to the MagicRun phenomena. nyahnyah.gif

That said, I get it - it's like playing in a Star Trek game and not being able to be a Starfleet Officer or a Klingon Warrior (whichever gets you), or being in a Star Wars game and not being Strong in the Force or a Mandalorian (again, whichever gets you).

Shame.
ShadowDragon8685
dArk, I'm not sure if you read this, but if you do, please, stop joining the channel, saying one thing, NOT sending me a PM, and then leaving. Unless you find my attention on IRC, there may be a wait unless, or even if, you take measures to get my attention.

If you're on a tight time-frame as regards contacting me, please, use an instant messenger. If you can't do that, send me an email.

It's really kind of frustrating to look back to IRC and see that you typed something, then left like, eight minutes before I saw it.
taeksosin
Just curious, how long do you see the game running per session? I'm up for brawn, face, rigger, whatever. I look at it as an excuse to explore the system from the other side of the screen and make the game better for my meat players. smile.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (taeksosin @ Jun 7 2012, 09:18 PM) *
Just curious, how long do you see the game running per session? I'm up for brawn, face, rigger, whatever. I look at it as an excuse to explore the system from the other side of the screen and make the game better for my meat players. smile.gif

That's variable, depending on basically when most of the players are tired/when I'm tired/when the players need to go do other things/or we found a good quitting point. Long-run sessions have gone until 6, 7, and once even 8 at night, and short sessions have lasted until only 3 in the afternoon.
ShadowDragon8685
Alright. I've talked to three people, now, and I'm recruiting two. I should be able to introduce my new characters this Sunday, if your characters are fleshed out enough for you to roleplay them. We probably won't have any crunch going on Sunday, so it's fine if your sheets aren't finished.

I do, however, require that character pitches be posted in the thread, and soon.
taeksosin
*translates times to PST in his head* Think that's gonna be a no go for me, sadly. Good luck with your game though!
almost normal
NOW I see the message. Ah well.
ShadowDragon8685
Well, not much happened on sunday. However, I do request and require that everyone who wants to play have a character sheet ready by Sunday.

I've got three people vying for two spots. If I only have two sheets by Sunday, then first come, first serve. If I have three, then I'll look them all over to decide who to bring in.
ShadowDragon8685
You know, I have to admit, I'm starting to get worried.

Three people expressed an interest in joining this game, and so far, none of them have submitted a character sheet.

It's very troubling.
ShadowDragon8685
Well, it's 10:30 on Sunday at GMT-5.

The only person I spoke with whom I see is Almost Normal, and I haven't seen any character sheets. Or signs of life since last week at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012