Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Awakened Critters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Koekepan
We all know and love various awakened critters, including everything from devil rats to cockatrices. They add so much happiness to our lives.

But I think we can do better. What about awakened raccoon? The unstoppable sneak thief?

Awakened Skunk? The ultimate property value dropper?

Awakened Wolverine? Even Street Samurai need something to fear.
Yerameyahu
Clearly, Wolverine *was* an adept with cyberware.

Seriously though, the paracritters aren't just awakened versions of all the normal animals. They're usually things like mythical critters.
BishopMcQ
Bandits are Awakened Raccoons. They are a lot of fun.
Jeremiah Kraye
God forbid you ever run into a tanuki... It'll make the ultimate frag seem like child's play when it hits you with it's giant nutsack.
Larsine
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jun 18 2012, 04:10 AM) *
We all know and love various awakened critters, including everything from devil rats to cockatrices. They add so much happiness to our lives.

But I think we can do better. What about awakened raccoon? The unstoppable sneak thief?

Bandit: Running Wild page 151

QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jun 18 2012, 04:10 AM) *
Awakened Wolverine? Even Street Samurai need something to fear.

Greater Wolverine: Running Wild page 151.
Krishach
neither the Bandit nor the Greater Wolverine are awakened critters. They are paracritters, but not awakened. There is a specific mention of the Bandit being lauded as the first "awakened" drone, which is immediately called fraudulent because the bandit is not awakened. Grrr, I need to find that article.

Note the lack of a magical stat.
Yerameyahu
I feel like people frequently use 'awakened X' when they mean 'paracritter'. Even if this is 'incorrect', they do use it to mean that. Clearly:
Paracritters
The following list describes some of the Awakened animals that roam the Sixth World. Many are the Awakened or goblinized variant of ordinary animals, while some are metahumans that have been transformed by the Human-Metahuman Vampiric Virus (HMHVV). The origin of some other species are mysteries that have yet to be explained.
So there was no concept of a 'paracritter' that wasn't also Awakened until RW added a bunch of no-Magic critters to the 'Paranormal Animals' section. Even then, these are described as 'critters resulting from the Awakening', which is damned close to 'Awakened critters'. smile.gif
At the dawn of the Awakening, the planet was suddenly inundated with a vast array of animals that possessed miraculous adaptations to the ambient levels of mana. This sampling offers a range of these creatures.
Krishach
true. Another case of word nonconformity between the book additions. So, they are metavariants? That would make more sense; it retains the same terms then as human metavariants vs human awakened.
Yerameyahu
I mean, usage determines meaning, but I can understand why someone might want a *technical* distinction. smile.gif I agree with your suggestion: if 'paracritter' == 'Awakened' == 'Magic rating', then 'metacritters' is a good analogical fit for this distinct category. It's a sort of awkward construction (metavariant derives from metahumanity), but it's better than the book's 'goblinized versions of'.
Krishach
I guess the catch-all of "paranormal" remains the best bet. Still, the awakening that brought goblinization did not "awaken" everybody, so it seems like the same set, and doesn't mean that they are "awakened" in the shadowrun sense of the presence of magic.

Anyway, on the topic for those above, the Toxic or Mutation rules might be a good bet for custom-twisting your own critters into something more. Running Wild, pg 162
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012