Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 2050 is out!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Prime Mover
Announced a few months ago along side the Shadowrun Kickstarter. Originally mentioned as a spring release for next year.
Now it seems well see this at Gen Con? 90% done according to recent posts.

I cant believe the community has been so quiet about this, very little info about its production is in the wild.
So many questions.
1. Will magical traditions have separate mechanics?
2. Will missing spirit powers be returned and perhaps "fixed".
3. Grounding?
4. Decking returns will the matrix of old be streamlined and workable?
5. (Put own questions here...)

All this and more done in just a few months? Or was this project in the works for much longer?
Stahlseele
Rules-Wise it is probably 1:1 SR4A.
Just the old Fluff/Adventures with new rules, as far as i understood.
almost normal
I doubt it'll use identical rules from 4a. If it does, expect a universal panning of the product. You can (and I have) buy older SR sourcebooks for 1-2 dollars.
Prime Mover
Honestly if this is just a repackage of 4e I wouldn't see the point in buying.
I think by its title alone it needs to evoke the feeling of earlier editions via some mechanics as well as look and feel.
Speed Wraith
I'd doubt we'll see grounding make a return, continuity needs to be observed with the current edition, I would think. Ditto with most of the magic/spirit stuff. I would also imagine that as much as I want to see a return to program carriers, they won't show up.

Mostly, I expect to see a "different" Matrix system in place and restated gear from the old days. I would also imagine they'll devote at least a handful of pages to quickly modifying old modules for 4th edition play. Beyond that, it'll probably just be fluff.
CrystalBlue
Changes I anticipate will be the matrix rules going back to decking, technomancers not being a thing anymore (since Deus hasn't screwed with our brains yet) and some magical spells coming in or going out. One of the main changes I foresee is the mass exodus from bioware and making cyberware better and more viable.
Medicineman
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 10 2012, 09:08 AM) *
Rules-Wise it is probably 1:1 SR4A.
Just the old Fluff/Adventures with new rules, as far as i understood.

exactly that biggrin.gif
SR4A Rules in the Setting of 2050
Grounding and seperate Rules for magic Traditions is a SR2 or SR3 Issue,but the Rules are gonna be definetely SR4A (from what I read in the Forums)
there will be Decks (as this is the 2050 technology) but the Hacking Rules will be those of SR4A (with wires instead of Wireless as Wireless is 2072 tech)

He who Dances 2050 and 2072
Medicineman
ggodo
QUOTE (CrystalBlue @ Jul 10 2012, 08:00 AM) *
Changes I anticipate will be the matrix rules going back to decking, technomancers not being a thing anymore (since Deus hasn't screwed with our brains yet) and some magical spells coming in or going out. One of the main changes I foresee is the mass exodus from bioware and making cyberware better and more viable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but bioware was an addition in Shadowtech. They may just remove all of it.
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (ggodo @ Jul 10 2012, 12:17 PM) *
Correct me if I'm wrong, but bioware was an addition in Shadowtech. They may just remove all of it.

I would hope that they'll include a chart specifying when certain things were available. A lot of biotech hit the streets in the early 2050s, for example.
Stahlseele
Biotech first showed up in SR2 i think.
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 10 2012, 12:30 PM) *
Biotech first showed up in SR2 i think.

Yup, second edition. It was first published in 1993, which would make it about 2054, correct?
Stahlseele
Possible.
bannockburn
Flavortext in my ShadowTech says 2052 in the timestamps.
Stahlseele
When was Harlequin?
bannockburn
Stahlseele
chances are it's gonna be Harlequin with SR3 equipment but SR4 rules.
Larsine
Bioware was introduced in Shadowtech, and Shadowtech was published in 1992 for SR1.

Timestamps in Shadowtech are 2052 and 2053, but that does not mean that you couldn't get bioware in 2050.

Shadowtech page 13:
What follows are descriptions of bioware products available to the general public as of summer 2052.

The rest is covered by my NDA smile.gif
Stahlseele
You still have one of those for Shadowtech?
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 10 2012, 12:37 PM) *
You still have one of those for Shadowtech?

I do believe he means the NDA for SR2050, not Shadowtech.
Stahlseele
*sigh*
does one have to add smileys behind every dead pan snark to not be thought dumb? ._.
Speed Wraith
Well, yeah, that's why they were invented nyahnyah.gif
Bigity
Yea I'm not going to be buying a SR4A with a 2050 flavor. I'll just go back to my old books.

The hacking rules mechanics are fine with me - can't really expect a rewrite for that, but will require a lot of shoehorning into the decking process, IMO. So they can't just slap DECKING over the Hacking title and call it good, nor do I think this would be attempted.

I definitely want shaman/hermetic/voodoo summoning to be different again though.

Grounding would be nice, but again, not holding my breath. Spell Locks would be nice smile.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 10 2012, 12:46 PM) *
*sigh*
does one have to add smileys behind every dead pan snark to not be thought dumb? ._.

Not a matter of being thought dumb, you just have to remember that everything is read cold.
Bull
Just a note... it's not an SR4 Rulebook set in 2050. It's a guidebook for playing in the 2050's era using the SR4A Rules. There's a difference (For one, you still need SR4A).

It's also a great resource for fans who came in later in the edition cycle (SR3 or 4) who never read or played the earlier edition material. And there's a lot of great stuff in there for long time fans as well.

(And no, didn't work on the book at all. WOuld have loved to, but just had too much else on my plate. But I've been watching the development and been looking through the layout stuff as it's been getting finished. Some nice stuff, fun art... i can't wait)
Speed Wraith
The really sad thing is that the two oldest-school players in my group (me being one), seriously want to do a 2050 game using...the priority system for character generation...it just feels right.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 11 2012, 08:45 AM) *
The really sad thing is that the two oldest-school players in my group (me being one), seriously want to do a 2050 game using...the priority system for character generation...it just feels right.

Priority system is available in Runner's Companion. Combine it with the 2050 book, and you're golden.
Aaron
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 10 2012, 10:07 AM) *
I'd doubt we'll see grounding make a return, continuity needs to be observed with the current edition, I would think. Ditto with most of the magic/spirit stuff.

I'll take that bet.

Stahlseele
See the Cover here:
http://shadowrunberlin.wordpress.com/2012/...shadowrun-2050/
apieros
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 12 2012, 03:50 PM) *
I'd have thought the actual SR1 cover pic would have been more apt. Maybe the SR1 logo as well. With "2050" below it.

If we're going for nostalgia (and I'm all for that, SR1 was my edition of the game) it would have stronger appeal that way.
Bull
The idea was to emulate the 1st edition sorucebooks, not the core book. And the SR1 cover art got reused as the interior cover piece for SR4A.

Originally the idea was floated to actually get Larry Elmore to do a new piece of cover art to update the original, but he officially retired a couple years ago and no longer does commissioned work frown.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 12 2012, 07:19 PM) *
Originally the idea was floated to actually get Larry Elmore to do a new piece of cover art to update the original, but he officially retired a couple years ago and no longer does commissioned work frown.gif

Who's up for an extraction on an artist?
Patrick Goodman
I might be up for some of that action....
CanRay
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jul 12 2012, 07:35 PM) *
Who's up for an extraction on an artist?
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jul 12 2012, 08:56 PM) *
I might be up for some of that action....
If the book is 90%+ done and the cover has been shown to the masses... It's likely too late. frown.gif
Patrick Goodman
Special edition. smile.gif
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 12 2012, 04:50 PM) *

MAN I miss deckers!

(Sally, Dodger, Ghost, and ... no idea who the Dwarf is. Watch it be Pembleton.)
Falconer
From the crunchy side of things... I know it's too late for any kind of suggestions... but just what I'm hoping to see. In any case, looking forward to this book quite a bit.

I mostly expect to see some SOTA rules. How does yesterdays nova hot tech, becomes todays 'vintage' model. (what was response 5 or 6 then is what response 2-3 now?.

New availability costs and guidelines to reflect the timeline for cyber/bio/drones.
Magic Loss rules (this only went away with SR4... I can buy that medtech has advanced as the primary cause) but if tech and toys need to keep up with the times... losing a point of magic now and then for the magicals isn't that far out of whack.
Matrix 'update'

Otherwise I'm only really expecting fluff towards introducing new players to the old harder core game environment. (and hopefully no new pollyannish lousy NPC's like netcat to screw it up!).
Prime Mover
Great retro cover and the return of Sally & crew nice touch.
CanRay
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jul 12 2012, 11:15 PM) *
MAN I miss deckers!

(Sally, Dodger, Ghost, and ... no idea who the Dwarf is. Watch it be Pembleton.)
Julius Strouther before he became a Fixer/Johnson?
CanRay
More details now available. biggrin.gif
bannockburn
Now you're in marketing wink.gif
Looks really nice and reminds me of ye olden times ^^
CanRay
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jul 16 2012, 04:21 PM) *
Now you're in marketing wink.gif
Looks really nice and reminds me of ye olden times ^^
One of the reasons I invest in a Laser Printer is that I do insane things like print out books. And with a lot more PDF-Only items out there, it just makes sense to invest in bulk paper, high-capacity toner cartridges, and sheet protectors.

Binders I get as needed.
hobgoblin
Heh, i know at least one person that did that to some fan PDFs for SWD6. Me, i just go with a tablet wink.gif

Still, a BW laser printer able to print on both sides is mighty tempting.
bannockburn
Personally, I go with paperless office (aka iPad wink.gif )
Still, I like the idea. We did this in my youth as well *g*
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I wonder if there will be a batch of archtypes, contacts and such in it. It would help set the feel.
Aaron
I figure the binder thing is "old school" because the Perfect Bind back in the day was anything but perfect. I still have to handle my copy of SR2 gingerly (and don't get me started about the BattleTech books I had to switch to binders).

To be fair, it wasn't just FASA. My copy of Paranoia is in a binder for that very reason, along with a couple of Torg books.
CanRay
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 16 2012, 04:54 PM) *
Heh, i know at least one person that did that to some fan PDFs for SWD6. Me, i just go with a tablet wink.gif

Still, a BW laser printer able to print on both sides is mighty tempting.
The "Duplex" option was my final selling point on my current printer.
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ Jul 16 2012, 05:57 PM) *
I wonder if there will be a batch of archtypes, contacts and such in it. It would help set the feel.
You'll see a lot of old friends, let me put it that way.
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jul 16 2012, 07:01 PM) *
I figure the binder thing is "old school" because the Perfect Bind back in the day was anything but perfect. I still have to handle my copy of SR2 gingerly (and don't get me started about the BattleTech books I had to switch to binders).

To be fair, it wasn't just FASA. My copy of Paranoia is in a binder for that very reason, along with a couple of Torg books.
Actually, I was thinking more along the ideas of one guy buying a book, and photocopying it a few times for the rest of the group, putting it in the binder much like I did (for the record, I have a reason for printing out my book, and, no, I'm not going to get into it.). There's also the illegal scanned PDFs of OOP books later on that were going around the underground Napster-Lookalikes. Of course, with CGL now making legit (and better quality) PDFs available at reasonable prices, you should use those. (That's always been my personal morals on the situation, I'm not, nor never shall be, a corporate shill. No, not even for an RPG company, they can find someone else to do that!).

Hell, I remember seeing some old RPG books (Not any Shadowrun ones, however) that were in TEXT FORMAT available for download from BBSes back in the early '90s. Slam those through a Dot Matrix Printer and there you go, your book for *Insert Huge RPG Here* and you didn't have to pay The Man. Handy if you're in a place where the FLGS is anything but "F", or there's Gamer Drama going on.
vladski
Heck, I, too, thought the "old school" was the binder. Anyone who's played this game (or any of the classic RPGs) for as long as some of us has at least a few of their "goto books" in just such a binder because the spines always gave up the ghost. In fact, FASA replaced my copy of SR3 at GenCon after I had bought it the previous year because the front half of the book was coming out. They just let me trade it for a new one at the dealer table. They did the same for my brother as well. I was flabbergasted at how nice they were.

In fact, I think it would have been cool if SR2050 was actually released in this binder format. A special binder with some really cool cover art... maybe a few laminated, removable cheat sheets holding tables and such, much like a GM screen. Who wouldn't have kicked in a few more bucks for such a wonderful product?

Heck, I might have to make my own. cool.gif

Vlad
Aaron
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 16 2012, 07:13 PM) *
Hell, I remember seeing some old RPG books (Not any Shadowrun ones, however) that were in TEXT FORMAT available for download from BBSes back in the early '90s. Slam those through a Dot Matrix Printer and there you go, your book for *Insert Huge RPG Here* and you didn't have to pay The Man. Handy if you're in a place where the FLGS is anything but "F", or there's Gamer Drama going on.

Especially if the nearest FLGS was two hours away in Chicago, and one wasn't quite old enough to drive and certainly didn't have permission to drive all the way to the big city. Not to mention all gaming purchases had to be made by mail or at Gen Con. Not that I'd know or ever pirate games or software at such a young age.
Speed Wraith
Often, we just bought multiple copies of certain core books to minimize the wear and tear. I think we still have a whole 2nd Edition rulebook in pretty great shape somewhere. Our original run 1st edition? Not such great shape.

So c'mon CanRay, nothing extra you can let slip about what we might see without getting you in trouble? biggrin.gif I see mention of CPUs on that decker page...
binarywraith
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Jul 17 2012, 10:22 AM) *
Often, we just bought multiple copies of certain core books to minimize the wear and tear. I think we still have a whole 2nd Edition rulebook in pretty great shape somewhere. Our original run 1st edition? Not such great shape.

So c'mon CanRay, nothing extra you can let slip about what we might see without getting you in trouble? biggrin.gif I see mention of CPUs on that decker page...

This is why I scavenged for -years- until I got my hands on hardcover SR1 and SR2 copies. No more FASA Glue Explosions!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012