Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: The Alicia Marks Affair
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
TinkerGnome
Here is a link to the ic.gif board.

This is the OOC board for things like die rolls. Everyone does their own die rolls and posts the results here. Be honest, it's not like you get anything out of cheating.

I'm using colors in this game to make the posts easier to follow. Please try to use these conventions as well.

PC names: bold
NPC names: bold
Date/time line: cyan
Place names: orange
Written text: yellow

Ex:

Billy
Crusher
1200 hours, Fri April 16, 2004
Fat Mike's
Meet at 11pm
Grey
I'd like to request a different color or NPC names. I'm slightly colorblind and the red is increadably hard on my eyes. How about purple or something?
TinkerGnome
Magenta work better? Purple is too hard to read.
Grey
Testing...

Green.
Blue.
Grey
How about Blue? The reds are just give me an instant headache.

So we go can go with Bold, Blue, Cyan, Orange, and Yellow.
Grey
Sorry for being a pain in the ass, but I'd rather be a pain in your ass for a little but now than have the colors be a pain in my ass for months. Ya know?
TinkerGnome
I can't read blue against the board background. I could take NPC names to bold, as well, if you want. I think we're out of usable colors.
Grey
That sounds cool.
TinkerGnome
Next post: Wednsday, March 21 or once everyone has posted. Response posts whenever I think they're needed.
Sphynx
Hey all, kinda new to this online gaming stuff, only use to in-house shadowrun where you help create all the characters together. Is it like against the rules to view each others character sheets? I don't mind people knowing OOC knowledge about my PC if you guys wanna swap that kinda info and if it's allowable....

Sphynx
TinkerGnome
I don't mind if you guys want to share info with each other, however I recieved a number of sheets equal to the number of formats those sheets are in so it'd take quite abit of time for me to put them up (ie, so don't look for it from me in the near future). If you guys want to share, though, that's fine with me.
Fu-Man Chu
If you guys want to send over .html or .txt versions of the character sheets, I offer my website to host them if that is needed.
Sphynx
Or I can put them on my site, along with Billy, the Elf
TinkerGnome
Next post: when I get a question. Or Friday.
snowRaven
Everyone, my apologies for not posting sooner - I've been sick for a few days, but now I'm back in the land of the living.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (snowRaven)
Everyone, my apologies for not posting sooner - I've been sick for a few days, but now I'm back in the land of the living.

It's not a big deal. The reason I'm setting a firm posting schedule (from me) is that I don't want to lag because of one person being slow, so you shouldn't feel guilty about missing one post. If are going to miss more than one (and you know about it), please try to give us OOC notice in advance so we can move on.

The posting schedule will likely be M-W-F from here on out, saving "conversational" posts such as the meet.
Fu-Man Chu
Would it be reasonable to allow some of our characters to have either known or worked with some of the others? I'm thinking Syl could possibly have worked with perhaps Billy and/or Chip. . .
snowRaven
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
It's not a big deal. The reason I'm setting a firm posting schedule (from me) is that I don't want to lag because of one person being slow, so you shouldn't feel guilty about missing one post. If are going to miss more than one (and you know about it), please try to give us OOC notice in advance so we can move on.

I'm a firm believer in frequent posting myself, since things take a long time on here at the best of times upsidedown.gif and I will of course let you know if I am going to be absent for a while.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Fu-Man Chu)
Would it be reasonable to allow some of our characters to have either known or worked with some of the others? I'm thinking Syl could possibly have worked with perhaps Billy and/or Chip. . .

Entirely up to you guys. A few of you aren't experienced runners, and several aren't very experienced, though, so it'd become more difficult at that point.
Fu-Man Chu
QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
QUOTE (Fu-Man Chu @ Apr 23 2004, 03:29 AM)

Entirely up to you guys. A few of you aren't experienced runners, and several aren't very experienced, though, so it'd become more difficult at that point.

Great! Any takers?
Ecclesiastes
Angel is a loner, sorry.
snowRaven
Okay, Chip's basic info for those who are interested:
[ Spoiler ]
Fu-Man Chu
Hey, Chip and Syl look like they could possibly know each other - do you want to say they've worked together before? Here's Syl

Okkk.... I don't know how to do the cool Spoiler function, any help?
Glyph
You do spoilers by typing {spoiler} followed by the informatio that you want in the spoiler, then {/spoiler}, only with [] instead of {}.

Rent is a bodyguard type, so he could have met all kinds of people if anyone wants to have previously known him. Him and Silhouette already had a scene where they introduced themselves to each other, though, so I guess they haven't met before.

Here are Rent's stats:

[ Spoiler ]
snowRaven
If TinkerGnome is okay with that, I don't see a problem Fu-Man Chu upsidedown.gif
TinkerGnome
No problems from me.

Heh, I almost had you guys with the lack of an advance there wink.gif
snowRaven
I figured Chip is abit too new to all of this to ask for one, so I was waiting for someone else to bring it up. upsidedown.gif While he is used to some parts of negotiating, he still suffers from the brain-washing that your employers are right and deserve respect... I'm figuring after more time in the shadows that should wear off though grinbig.gif

But it's decided then - Chip and Syl know each other from before.
Sphynx
What do we find on the chip?
Ecclesiastes
Casting a Force 6 Influance.

Spell Casting: 11 11 11 05 03 03 02 02 01 #D:9 TN:5 H#:11 S:4
Drain (3S): 11 07 05 04 04 04 03 01 01 #D:9 TN:3 H#:11 S:7

4 Successes on the spell with no drain.
TinkerGnome
Here are the contents of the chip.
Fu-Man Chu
I got lost in the lingo there - did the J give us a payment upfront in the "two large"? Or was that an expense account?

Oh, and what day of the week is 4/6/63?
TinkerGnome
Upfront pay is expected to be used for expenses. The amount agreed on was 2000 nuyen.gif though no one has actually provided it yet.

The posting is all on you guys until I have a few actions to resolve. I've got a PM for Chip, too, which might help with the Novatech stuff.
Fu-Man Chu
Ok, thanks, just wanted to clear that up
TinkerGnome
Okay, guys, if you're splitting into two groups, go ahead and post the following here:

Matrix group
Give me the detail level of your search, what you're looking for data on, and go ahead and make the rolls for it. Let me know what detail level you achieved and how long it took you.

Legwork group
Let me know who is going and where. You've got a small handful of potential destinations here, and some of them are better than others. Also let me know how you're getting there. You're in Tacoma right now and the bar is over in Touristville (west end of Redmond, a little north of the middle of the area). It's actually not too hard to get to because they do so much business with wageslave thrill seekers.

If anyone has a knowledge skill they feel is relevant (either group) go ahead and roll it. You can also call on contacts if you want to.
Glyph
Rent will change into more casual clothing before heading down to the Cave, taking the tube. He will look up the basic information on the Matrix before he heads out there - no shadowy information, just things like their hours and the image they try to present on their site (trendy, retro, etc.) Once there, he will mingle and ask some subtle questions, trying to piece together who last saw her, and what her physical and/or emotional state was right before she disappeared.

Knowledge Skill: Seattle Hot Night Spots: 7 5 5 1.
Knowledge Skill: Underworld Politics: 5 2.
Etiquette: 13 11 2 2.

The next day, he will try Kent Central station Caff'n'Pastry (Renton). He will show up there in a his most conservative casual clothing - looking like a blue-collar guy who can't afford a suit trying to "dress up", and looking a bit nervous, but finally hesitantly asking some of the patrons if they have seen Miss Alicia Marks, because she was going to talk to him today. He's trying to get hired on as a security guard at Novatech, and she might have been able to put in a good word for him, but she's not here. Hopefully he will manage to get a few people's recollections and impressions of Alicia Marks, maybe even if she was acting differently or oddly on the day of her disappearance.

Knowledge Skill: Seattle Rumormill: 4 1.
Etiquette: 11 5 3 1.

He will also check with his Nightclub Owner contact to see if he knows anything unusual about the Cave.

Etiquette (if needeed): 5 4 2 1.

**NOTE**You can assume that for all of this, his Emotion Sense will be running, as he notes any unusual reactions such as sudden panic or hostility.
snowRaven
Chip will start with a Standard Search on Alicia Marks in hopes of finding out some more info, particularily phone records and maybe a cellphone number.

General Matrix Search on Alicia Marks:
'Databases' skill used to help search, keeping a low profile
Computer (TN 4): 3 3 4 4 4
Search time: 14 hours (cost 140¥, taken from expenses if everyone agrees)
Result: 3 successes ("More details, perhaps including a new lead")

If this doesn't net him a cellnumber, he will drop off a message to Jennifer Peterson asking if she can get ahold of one for him:
Etiquette: 4 4 4 5 5

(Right now I'm wishing I had gone for a deck with RI2 instead grinbig.gif)
TinkerGnome
Cool. I'll give you guys a post tonight. I'm earning my pay today and will be indisposed for most of the day wink.gif
Fu-Man Chu
Syl's post will be up shortly - was a busy week/end
TinkerGnome
@ Rent

I'm going to wait and post about The Cave and the coffee shop until I have a couple more "I'm going" posts. Rent does know, from his matrix surfing and general street knowledge that the place is a small but thriving scene for the local musical talent. A few big acts in the last five years have been scouted from there, and it's a hopping scene almost every night from dusk till almost dawn. They technically open about 6pm, though few people are there until about 9 when the bands usually start. It's meta-friendly, but violence is discouraged.

His contact tells him pretty much the same sort of info. The club is in the territory of a couple of street gangs, but they don't war over it openly because they're both attached to it as a night spot.

@ Chip

Finding Alicia's phone and cell codes is null sweat. The phone records prove only slightly more difficult. The home phone shows little activity at all, and most of that is office or fast food related. The last phone number called was Wok n'Load at 1650 on the 6th.

The cell records look more interesting. They show much the same activity up until the 7th. On the 8th, there is no activity, and on the 9th, there is a flurry of long calls to overseas sites. These calls happen within about 10 minutes of each other for about twelve hours, and they suddenly stop. At that point, the phone was disconnected for reaching Alicia's credit limit on the phone bill.
Ecclesiastes
Sorry, had a busy work day, I'll try to read up on what I missed over the weekend and have a post soon. If I don't post before you want to move things along, I'll be going along with the group to The Cave.
Sphynx
That sucks! I 'just' noticed that my post isn't here. Anyhows, for a quick repeat, I'm heading to 'the Cave' to see if I can find any oddities there, spending time in the neighborhood since it's more likely that she disappeared after 'the Cave' considering she paid. I'll try to figure out where she might have been headed and look for anamolies in the area in case it was a random abduction, and not planned for her position at NT.

Sphynx
snowRaven
Interesting - just a question... When a phone is disconnected for that reason, can it still receive calls? In other words, is there any point in trying to triangulate it to gets it's location, or will it be completely shut off?
TinkerGnome
Nope, the cell grid doesn't acknowledge that cell as being in existance. It's probably not tracable at that point. The last location of the cell phone was recorded on the disconnect notice.

It appears to be somewhere in the docks area downtown.
snowRaven
Okay, thanks =)
TinkerGnome
Okay, Cave guys, now'd be a good time to roll gang ID if you have it. Other than that, you know what Rent knows, in general.
Fu-Man Chu
Syl

Syl will likewise do a general search on Alicia[/B] Marks as well as some specifics on 1) her family and 2) education. After that, will do a search on Novatech, with specific focus on its business relations.

Now, I'm not sure how the rules for a general data search go, but I'll roll Syl's computer skill for now and let you tell me how to determine TN and time.

Searching Alicia Marks. . .
Computer 6: 28 (!!!), 5, 3, 3, 3, 2

Searching Novatech . . .
Computer 6: 11, 5, 4, 4, 3, 2

(What a nice roll to start off a game! cool.gif
TinkerGnome
Alicia Marks is the daughter of Geoffory Marks, the owner of a handful of bars and nightclubs in downtown and Tacoma (he doesn't own Fat Mike's, by the way). After a lot of data tracing, Syl figures out his brother is Carlos Marks, who has some apparent Seattle mafia connections, though the search doesn't turn up any specifics on those.

Novatech is a multinational corp. They have their fingers in most pies, and are big in technology. The educational software division is one of their smallest divisions in Seattle, and appears to be more of a "acid test" for young college grads than a profit making venture.
Sphynx
Etiquette roll for dealing with Gangers: 10, 4, 4, 4, 2, 1
Ecclesiastes
I just got promoted at work (yay!), which means that I'm going to start becoming much busier and won't have as much time to game (boo!). Unfortunately, I'm going to have to drop from this game. Feel free to NPC my character until he/she can be removed cleanly or keep using them as an NPC as long as you like. I'm sorry to do this, but life calls...
Fu-Man Chu
Sorry to see you have to go E, it was neat just starting to get to know you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012