Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sleeping Dogs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
CanRay
Not really much else for me to say right now.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 31 2012, 01:35 AM) *
Not really much else for me to say right now.

What? No 10 minutes in review?

Do you start the game by stealing a vault via airlift?
CanRay
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Aug 31 2012, 06:28 AM) *
Do you start the game by stealing a vault via airlift?
No, that's Saints Row The Third.

You do, however, have to deal with a scary Chinese woman that owns a restaurant.

The nice thing about restaurants... You can always have a "Pork Special" when it comes time to... vegm.gif
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 31 2012, 09:27 AM) *
You do, however, have to deal with a scary Chinese woman that owns a restaurant.

Punch her in the face?
Tanegar
I enjoyed the demo. It's on my wishlist.
Rastus
This gif pretty much sums up why anyone would want to play it.

This video, on the other hand, is the Saints Row connection.
CanRay
Oh, and you can play the Chinese version of Dr. McNinja!

And we finally find out who Mr. Black was from Reservoir Dogs!
Rastus
That's not the only person you can play as.
CanRay
QUOTE (Rastus @ Aug 31 2012, 10:32 PM) *
It can be hard to find someone in Hong Kong that knows Chinese.
LurkerOutThere
I think i got dumber watching the gif and the clip, why would I want to play this game? I guess i'll check out the demo or something.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Rastus @ Aug 31 2012, 07:32 PM) *

That made me laugh way too much. It also made me miss Shenmue. We'll never get a part 3; but at least I can pull out my Dreamcast and play part 1.
Critias
The game is, when played straight (instead of choosing goofy costumes just to be goofy, doing wacky stuff for no reason, etc)? It's a Hong Kong action movie that lasts for about 24 hours. Period. There's a little humor, but a lot of bloodshed, deceit, very strong voice acting, terrific combat, slow-motion shootouts, action-cinema driving, and a story that -- while not exactly throwing curveballs at you left and right -- hits all the right notes in order to make the game exactly what it set out to be: a Hong Kong action movie.
CanRay
I'll vouch for Critias' review.

I just wish it had better staying power. frown.gif 'Course, I have too much time on my hands, so...
Blade
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 2 2012, 08:21 PM) *
very strong voice acting

Still wish it was in Cantonese.
CanRay
QUOTE (Blade @ Sep 3 2012, 03:05 AM) *
Or badly dubbed?
Critias
QUOTE (Blade @ Sep 3 2012, 03:05 AM) *

Much of it is.
CanRay
Enough of it is that I was really happy for subtitles. Some characters use more than others, some speak it only, some only speak English.

There's probably more English in the game than there is in Hong Kong, but I am playing the North American release version, so...
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Rastus @ Aug 31 2012, 10:05 PM) *
This gif pretty much sums up why anyone would want to play it.

This video, on the other hand, is the Saints Row connection.

It was a lot cooler until I realized that the driver's side is on the right.
CanRay
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 4 2012, 06:52 AM) *
Oh yeah, you better bet driving on the other side of the road messed me up SO badly for the first...

Entire game.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 4 2012, 10:54 AM) *
Oh yeah, you better bet driving on the other side of the road messed me up SO badly for the first...

Well, the reason I thought it was much cooler was because it appeared at first as though you got out of the driver's seat, scrambled into the passenger seat, and then opened the door and jumped out.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 4 2012, 09:52 PM) *

The way it should be.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 2 2012, 02:21 PM) *
That made me laugh way too much. It also made me miss Shenmue. We'll never get a part 3; but at least I can pull out my Dreamcast and play part 1.

You can play part 2 on your dreamcast too! I never finished part 2, sadly...
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Sep 5 2012, 06:08 AM) *
You can play part 2 on your dreamcast too! I never finished part 2, sadly...

I have part 2 on my Xbox, so, no need pull out the Dreamcast for it as well. Although sadly, I felt the first installment to be much stronger.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Sep 5 2012, 09:00 AM) *
The way it should be.

Most of the world is right side drivers. Left side driving is mostly limited to ex-British territory and Japan.
Critias
I so, so, want additional content DLC soon. Or, rather, now. Right now. Already available. Right this very second, I want to be able to buy more missions and stuff. I am very, very, close to 100% completion, and that makes me sad. I want more to play.
CanRay
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 5 2012, 01:19 PM) *
I so, so, want additional content DLC soon. Or, rather, now. Right now. Already available. Right this very second, I want to be able to buy more missions and stuff. I am very, very, close to 100% completion, and that makes me sad. I want more to play.
Video games are like men, no staying power. nyahnyah.gif

OK, that sounded better in my head. wink.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 5 2012, 01:04 PM) *
Video games are like men, no staying power. nyahnyah.gif

OK, that sounded better in my head. wink.gif

I'm just glad you're speaking for yourself... awww who am I kidding; One and done.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 5 2012, 11:04 PM) *
I have part 2 on my Xbox, so, no need pull out the Dreamcast for it as well. Although sadly, I felt the first installment to be much stronger.

I agree, probably why I never beat part 2
Shortstraw
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 6 2012, 01:04 AM) *
Most of the world is right side drivers. Left side driving is mostly limited to ex-British territory and Japan.

Yep.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Sep 6 2012, 03:39 AM) *
Yep.

I had thought all the Victorians dead.
Critias
Must...find...DLC missions.

I've never fallen in love with a game this hard before. Certainly not a sandbox-style game anything like this. Even Skyrim and the various Mass Effect games, I enjoyed but not this much. There's just some perfect Feng Shui feng shui goin' on here, that's got me head-over-heels in love with kung-fuing dudes in this game. I can't explain it. I know the game has some holes and some flaws (each of the romance missions could have used another job, for instance, and lots of other plot-points just happened, very abruptly). I know the gameplay isn't as robust and customizable as a full-on RPG. I know the story and the open world aren't as sprawling and massive as Red Dead Redemption.

I know it's not perfect, but I can't stop playing it. And I'm just so, so, hungry for extra stuff to actually play. Gimme DLC missions! Gimme whole side campaigns, like Tales from Liberty City did, where I've got a whole campaign as some action-movie HKPD badass, or a whole string of jobs as a Sun On Yee enforcer (instead of as someone with a foot in both worlds). Gimme something. Gimme anything!
CanRay
I might have to pop it in just to steal armoured cars. biggrin.gif
Critias
I'd like it if the Tran "steal me this car" missions came back on-line at the end of the game. It could just be totally randomized, for all I care, but it would be nice to have something to do with a little bit of structure to it.
Rastus
Personally, I would of loved it if there was some sort of post-game cop mission that is basically a recreation of The Raid: Redemption that has you doing a massive floor-by-floor raid of a building with fellow cops for one reason or another, but alas, no sight of it yet. Maybe future DLC? Maybe just something for the sequel. Hell, don't tie it to any story, just make it a challenge mode.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 6 2012, 11:28 PM) *
I had thought all the Victorians dead.

Shou'd foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore
To guard our native strand;
Brittannia then shall surely know,
Beyond wide ocean's roll,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep a British soul.
In joyful strains the let us sing
"Advance Australia fair!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012